ADVERTISEMENT

Best UK vs. Duke memories thread

th

The 1992 game will be one of the last memories to leave my feeble mind.
I was on the floor, 3 feet from the tv when Sean Woods hit the shot to go up by 1 with 2.1 seconds left.

The 1992 game will be one of the last memories to leave my feeble mind.
I was on the floor, 3 feet from the tv when Sean Woods hit the shot to go up by 1 with 2.1 seconds left.

I was there too. In the floor, a foot from the tv. When CL hit the shot to win, my dad picked up the recliner in the living room and tossed it through the glass storm door at the front door. I stayed in the floor, locked into the tv, waiting for the ref to signal no good. It never came, and I eventually got up and realized that the chair was now on the front porch with glass everywhere. I was devastated. I was 17 years old, remember the feeling was awful.

I was there too. In the floor, a foot from the tv. When CL hit the shot to win, my dad picked up the recliner in the living room and tossed it through the glass storm door at the front door. I stayed in the floor, locked into the tv, waiting for the ref to signal no good. It never came, and I eventually got up and realized that the chair was now on the front porch with glass everywhere. I was devastated. I was 17 years old, remember the feeling was awful.
We have a another reason to beat Duke’s a$$ tomorrow, your Dad.

I was in the living room floor when Laetner hit that ugly shot. I was 9. My dad threw the remote to the floor. My mom got upset. And of course that got me upset even more and I cried. I loved Cawood and UK and no other loss outside of the WVU and Whisky tourney losses has ever hurt more.

Duke is always No. 1 of the do not like club. KU and UNC tie for second and UofL is number 3.

I know in the long run Tuesday doesn’t mean much. But it does count. And I want it to be in the W column. Just to not have to hear 5 months of “Duke an Coach K have assemble the greatest team ever” garbage.

I was in the living room floor when Laetner hit that ugly shot. I was 9. My dad threw the remote to the floor. My mom got upset. And of course that got me upset even more and I cried. I loved Cawood and UK and no other loss outside of the WVU and Whisky tourney losses has ever hurt more.

Duke is always No. 1 of the do not like club. KU and UNC tie for second and UofL is number 3.

I know in the long run Tuesday doesn’t mean much. But it does count. And I want it to be in the W column. Just to not have to hear 5 months of “Duke an Coach K have assemble the greatest team ever” garbage.
Amen to the last sentence

78 championship. Was 9 and one of my earliest memories watch that with my Dad. The night the "Goose got Loose" for 41.

1978 dunk by James Lee at the end of the game. 1998 shot by Padgett to go up three near the end of the game. Padgett shot was particularly awesome because Billy Packer’s comment as Padgett released the ball “huge,huge!”. Packer knew it was good and a complete dagger even before it went through the net.

That’s the best damn UK/Duke ‘92 story I’ve ever heard. Thanks for sharing.

I was 16 and cried like a damn baby. My parents weren’t big sports people in general but I was devastated.

I remember one of my best friends saying he was in the car with his older brother listening in the radio in the parking lot of a grocery store. When Laettner hit the shot he said it was the weirdest thing watching everyone just get out of their cars at the same time and wander into the store in a daze.

98 in Tampa the revenge game. That year they had pretty much handed dook the trophy and considered it a done deal. Wojo crying, coach rat out of TOs and Tubby not calling one, Mills 3, had waited 6 years for revenge and it was so sweet!

I wore out my VCR tape of this game. I vividly remember that Nicholas Cage/Bridget Fonda’s “It Could Happen To You” was going to be on CBS later that week because I didn’t pause for commercials!

Any game that UK won against that pretentious, pompous bunch of arrogant douches.

For me personally, virtually shutting out Tripper Allen in Chicago a couple of years ago. Our guards had a fantastic game.

Had decent seats to that game. Grayson tried to do the head flail on drives to the basket the whole game. The refs never bit on it and Grayson was absolutely ineffective.

I’m 34 and was in 8th grade in ‘98. I Just remember watching that game at home in Nicholasville with my parents and brother. The whole time my dad was saying “we’re gonna win this game, we’re gonna win this game” even while Duke was taking it to us. Then all of a sudden we go on an absolute tear to close it out with some of the most memorable shots in UK history.

My middle school years were great years to be a Wildcat fan. 6th grade-96 Cats dominate, 7th grade-Run to the title game, 8th grade-Cats deliver another title in an unexpected season. But to this day nothing beats the satisfaction of winning that Elite 8 game against Duke.

Well I was on the 7th row in 1978, that was pretty fun. ;-)

Also was in the last row straight up from the spot where Laettner hit the shot in 1992. But what I remember most from that game was the Philly fans swinging from cheering for Duke to cheering for UK as the Cats battled back from a 12 point deficit in the second half. And spending 2 minutes thinking UK had won and the Unforgettables were going to the Final Four. And then being in the car afterward hearing Coach K come on Cawood's post game show to compliment the Cats and our fans.

Also I was there in December 2001 when Rashaad Carruth went off for 19 points. It took a ridiculous 27-point second half and overtime by Jason (Jay) Williams for Duke to beat UK in Williams' back yard in New Jersey.

Last edited:
I hate 98. I never felt so confident leading up to a game against UK. Smh. I learned my lesson for sure.

98 in Tampa the revenge game. That year they had pretty much handed dook the trophy and considered it a done deal. Wojo crying, coach rat out of TOs and Tubby not calling one, Mills 3, had waited 6 years for revenge and it was so sweet!

98 was too strong a year to hand anyone a trophy. UNC and Duke were about even coming into the tournament (UNC took 2 of 3, which is why they stayed East), Arizona was defending champ and a 1 seed, and Kansas was 34-3.

That's why a UK team that put together a record that would normally merit a 1 seed was an afterthought. Also one of the only times a UK team has had significant luck in the tournament, as it was Utah that took out Arizona and UNC.

That said, UK was definitely an underdog against Duke, and that's probably the greatest UK win that I can remember.

Last edited:
98 was too strong a year to hand anyone a trophy. UNC and Duke were about even coming into the tournament (UNC took 2 of 3, which is why they stayed East), Arizona was defending champ and a 1 seed, and Kansas was 34-3.

That's why a UK team that put together a record that would normally merit a 1 seed was an afterthought. Also one of the only times a UK team has had significant luck in the tournament, as it was Utah that took out Arizona and UNC.

That said, UK was definitely an underdog against Duke, and that's probably the greatest UK win that I can remember.
All I can remember is the media predicting dook to destroy us and win it all. They had more buzz than anyone that year, maybe not deserved, not saying that. I just remember how much they were talked about and how most the so called experts were picking dook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT