ADVERTISEMENT

Bengals and their draft pick

Just signed Trey Hendrickson 4 yrs. 60 mil.

Curious what everyone thinks about this. Had a breakout season last year with 13.5 sacks. Was that a sign of things to come or did the Bengals spend their $ on a guy that was overlooked on a pretty nasty Saints defense? Idk how to feel about this.

Reactions: jameslee32

Curious what everyone thinks about this. Had a breakout season last year with 13.5 sacks. Was that a sign of things to come or did the Bengals spend their $ on a guy that was overlooked on a pretty nasty Saints defense? Idk how to feel about this.
From what I could gather, Hendrickson was tied for 2nd in the NFL in sacks and benefited from a very good secondary in NO but only got a $10 million signing bonus from Cincy.

Lawson got 8 fewer sacks but more QB pressures and got a $30 million signing bonus from the Jets.

Reactions: hamidousvertical
From what I could gather, Hendrickson was tied for 2nd in the NFL in sacks and benefited from a very good secondary in NO but only got a $10 million signing bonus from Cincy.

Lawson got 8 fewer sacks but more QB pressures and got a $30 million signing bonus from the Jets.
From checking some guys that do breakdowns, they think he's a downgrade form Lawson even though he had 13.5 sacks. He is only 26 so maybe last year it began to click for him.
Hoping they sign a couple of upgrades at guards. Surely they will do something about the OL in FA. Mercy me.

I would take Spain back in a heartbeat at guard also. As far as defense, if they can get Jackson back and sign a LB like Leonard Floyd, I'd be tickled.

Reactions: WildcatDJ
Well I've seen some more film and Hendrickson looks pretty impressive. They also signed 2 more DB's as well. One from Dallas (Awuzie) and one form Pittsburgh (Hilton).

Either they couldn't get an OL to agree or they are still working on some. Likely means they OT with their 1st pick in the draft.

Funny how 3 bad secondary's in Cincy, Dallas and Pitt had corners that were coveted. Hearing good things about Hilton but Jackson was ranked higher. Sad to see him go.

I'm good with getting one of the 2 tackles in the draft.

Funny how 3 bad secondary's in Cincy, Dallas and Pitt had corners that were coveted. Hearing good things about Hilton but Jackson was ranked higher. Sad to see him go.

Maybe their first 2 picks are OL. DOn't know, but they have tried to shore up an awful defense. Hendrickson could be a wash for Lawson. I think they got two DB's for the price they would have had to pay for keeping Jackson.

Hilton is a slot corner, and Jackson is an outside corner. Jackson is ranked higher, but they wouldn't have the same roles on the field. Hilton is a replacement for the loss of Mackenzie Alexander.

Awuzie is a replacement for Jackson.

@Cawood86 is right. The Bengals averaged down their top end talent to get better at multiple positions in the secondary.

Without factoring the guaranteed money and potential for dead cap, these are the general deal terms:
Jackson - 3 years/$40.5m (29 years old)
Hilton - 4 years/$24m (27 years old)
Awuzie - 3 years/21.75 m (26 years old)

Lawson and Hendrickson signed almost identical deals except for the guaranteed money. The Bengals signed Hendrickson to an extra year at the same money, but they also have the flexibility to cut him without the guaranteed money counting against their cap space in a few years.

Reactions: Cawood86
Bengals are going to have to go Sewell, Creed Humphrey, etc. first 2 rounds. Need another pass rusher as well. Hell, they need a lot of most everything. Tight end, another receiver, but protecting Burrow is top priority.

Bengals are going to have to go Sewell, Creed Humphrey, etc. first 2 rounds. Need another pass rusher as well. Hell, they need a lot of most everything. Tight end, another receiver, but protecting Burrow is top priority.

Definitely Sewell. They could be in position to take another really good OL in the second round, which I wouldn't oppose, but it looks like there could be some high-end linebackers available right there.

I think they will ride out this season with Uzomah and Sample again at tight end, and possibly try to find a high risk, high reward tight end later in the draft.

There are still some good free agents available, and I'm expecting the Bengals to sign at least one starting OL in free agency. Possibly even a wide receiver because the availability of impact receivers is deep, which could bid the market down where the bottomfeeder Bengals like to nibble.

Hilton is a slot corner, and Jackson is an outside corner. Jackson is ranked higher, but they wouldn't have the same roles on the field. Hilton is a replacement for the loss of Mackenzie Alexander.

Awuzie is a replacement for Jackson.

@Cawood86 is right. The Bengals averaged down their top end talent to get better at multiple positions in the secondary.

Without factoring the guaranteed money and potential for dead cap, these are the general deal terms:
Jackson - 3 years/$40.5m (29 years old)
Hilton - 4 years/$24m (27 years old)
Awuzie - 3 years/21.75 m (26 years old)

Lawson and Hendrickson signed almost identical deals except for the guaranteed money. The Bengals signed Hendrickson to an extra year at the same money, but they also have the flexibility to cut him without the guaranteed money counting against their cap space in a few years.
Money is always a factor for the Bengals. When you've only won 6 games in 2 years I can understand it. Yet having Jackson AND Hilton, Lawson AND Hendrickson would be the preferred option for me. There are enough snaps and schemes for this to happen in a perfect world.

Money is always a factor for the Bengals. When you've only won 6 games in 2 years I can understand it. Yet having Jackson AND Hilton, Lawson AND Hendrickson would be the preferred option for me. There are enough snaps and schemes for this to happen in a perfect world.

That would have put them over the salary cap with no money to spend on their most important need: protecting Burrow. I would like to have a comprehensive lineup of All-Pro players too, but the salary cap and the desire of players to not want to play for this franchise is prohibitive.

That would have put them over the salary cap with no money to spend on their most important need: protecting Burrow. I would like to have a comprehensive lineup of All-Pro players too, but the salary cap and the desire of players to not want to play for this franchise is prohibitive.
Except they weren't All-Pro and money talks louder than playoff potential. Lawson went to the Jets. Jackson to Washington. I'm still good with finding the lineman they need in the draft.

Except they weren't All-Pro and money talks louder than playoff potential. Lawson went to the Jets. Jackson to Washington. I'm still good with finding the lineman they need in the draft.

But you can't sign players with money that you don't have to spend. This is the NFL, not the government.

• Haha

He’s worse than the guy he’s replacing. Yes, he had more sacks than Lawson, but around 10 of his 13.5 were coverage or cleanup sacks. Lawson had more pressures, a higher pass rush win %, and was better against the run. Same for the corner from the Cowboys, worse than the guy he’s replacing.

At this point, Cincy will feel almost forced to go OT at 5(whether that’s Sewell or Slater) with how they’ve failed to address the offensive line in FA so far. Bearing that in mind, I’d like for them to sign Curtis Samuel to make passing on Ja’Marr Chase a little easier to stomach. Of course they won’t do that because the Bengals organization is one of the worst run in all of professional sports and they’re allergic to spending money in FA, probably because they don’t have the actual cash to spend that most every other organization does.

Last edited:
Probably not enough money though.

But you can't sign players with money that you don't have to spend. This is the NFL, not the government.
Using your numbers, Jackson was cheaper overall than 2 corners and whose to say how much less either guy's signing bonus could have been if they were sold the option to stay in town? Other teams make adjustments. They're already talking about redoing Geno Adkins contract. Bernard is another guy I really like but signing Perine is more than adequate if Gio is cut. Plus he's 5 years younger. Losing just one of the 2 FA's was also an option one would guess and it's worth it if these moves make you better.

He’s worse than the guy he’s replacing. Yes, he had more sacks than Lawson, but around 10 of his 13.5 were coverage or cleanup sacks. Lawson had more pressures, a higher pass rush win %, and was better against the run. Same for the corner from the Cowboys, worse than the guy he’s replacing.

At this point, Cincy will feel almost forced to go OT at 5(whether that’s Sewell or Slater) with how they’ve failed to address the offensive line in FA so far. Bearing that in mind, I’d like for them to sign Curtis Samuel to make passing on Ja’Marr Chase a little easier to stomach. Of course they won’t do that because the Bengals organization is one of the worst run in all of professional sports and they’re allergic to spending money in FA, probably because they don’t have the actual cash to spend that most every other organization does.
The money is the same for all the teams. The main issue the Bengals are facing is perception. Until or if that ever changes, they will be in this position.
I hope they go after Hudson, the Center from the Riaders. It will fix 2 positions. He is an All-Pro center and they could move Hopkins to guard where he is better suited.

In a perfect world adding Hendrickson, Hilton and Samuel makes sense. With Burrow, Boyd, Mixon, Higgins healthy and playing, the offense should have few issues scoring points regardless with another OL piece or two from the draft. Defense is where they've spent money in FA the past 2 years and I can understand it.

The money is the same for all the teams. The main issue the Bengals are facing is perception. Until or if that ever changes, they will be in this position.
I hope they go after Hudson, the Center from the Riaders. It will fix 2 positions. He is an All-Pro center and they could move Hopkins to guard where he is better suited.
They don't need a C or even a RT if Williams moves there after the draft.

It’s definitely not the same for all teams. Cap space yes, actual cash no. I believe the Brown family is the only owner in the NFL whose sole source of income is their team. If they aren’t the only owner like that then there aren’t many more. Obviously they aren’t a poor family considering they own an entire football team, but they definitely don’t have the financial flexibility to throw around cash that other organizations have.

Using your numbers, Jackson was cheaper overall than 2 corners and whose to say how much less either guy's signing bonus could have been if they were sold the option to stay in town? Other teams make adjustments. They're already talking about redoing Geno Adkins contract. Bernard is another guy I really like but signing Perine is more than adequate if Gio is cut. Plus he's 5 years younger. Losing just one of the 2 FA's was also an option one would guess and it's worth it if these moves make you better.

But those total numbers also bought an extra year of Hilton for the Bengals. If Jackson had signed a 4-year deal like Hilton, then Jackson would not have been cheaper than the two starters combined with extra cap space for the Bengals to boot.

I disagree on C. Hopkins is going to be out for part of the season with his injury which means Billy Price will be starting in his place unless we get someone else. That’s not great at all. Drafting or signing a C would keep that from happening and also allow us to move Hopkins to G where, in the past at least, he’s graded out well.

I disagree on C. Hopkins is going to be out for part of the season with his injury which means Billy Price will be starting in his place unless we get someone else. That’s not great at all. Drafting or signing a C would keep that from happening and also allow us to move Hopkins to G where, in the past at least, he’s graded out well.

They will possibly be in position to draft Drake Jackson in round 4. I would love to see that.

However, there are also a handful of very good centers available of the FA market right now. Nick Martin has my eye.

It’s definitely not the same for all teams. Cap space yes, actual cash no. I believe the Brown family is the only owner in the NFL whose sole source of income is their team. If they aren’t the only owner like that then there aren’t many more. Obviously they aren’t a poor family considering they own an entire football team, but they definitely don’t have the financial flexibility to throw around cash that other organizations have.
It isn't college where alumni or boosters help pay. NFL teams get the bulk of their money from the TV deals to televise their games.
Now, the Bengals probably don't generate a ton of revenue off merchandising but they don't have to have that money to run their team.
They have paid millions upon millions the last 2 years in FA. They have money. It's just where and what they value that detemines where they spend it.
The mian issue they are dealing with is their history of losing. Guys want to get paid naturally, but they also want to win. These FA agents get to pick, not the teams.

The main issue they are dealing with is their history of losing. Guys want to get paid naturally, but they also want to win. These FA agents get to pick, not the teams.

Exactly. The Bengals often have to pay a premium on free agents because players aren't looking to sign smaller deals with the Bengals with the tradeoff being the expectation of winning and playing with a great franchise.

Still need guards. Hudson to center moves Hopkins to guard. YOu fill two holes with one signing. The OT they draft hopefully fixes another. Sewell or Slater either one likely moves to LT. That leaves either LG or RG that needs addressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: uofkFTW18
Still need guards. Hudson to center moves Hopkins to guard. YOu fill two holes with one signing. The OT they draft hopefully fixes another. Sewell or Slater either one likely moves to LT. That leaveseither LG or RG that needs addressed.

Agree with the two birds one stone theory.

The Bengals have a unique (for them) opportunity. They HAVE the franchise QB that every team covets and he’s on his rookie contract.

Spend now to win now as in no time Joe B will be signing a new deal.

Hopkins is expected to be ready for training camp.

So I don't think Hopkins is going anywhere but I agree about Price.

Reactions: uofkFTW18
Still need guards. Hudson to center moves Hopkins to guard. YOu fill two holes with one signing. The OT they draft hopefully fixes another. Sewell or Slater either one likely moves to LT. That leaves either LG or RG that needs addressed.
Xavier Su'a Filo is likely one guard although Spain was better in Tenn and I thought better in Cincy as well.

Xavier Su'a Filo is likely one guard although Spain was better in Tenn and I thought better in Cincy as well.
I think Hudson improves the whole line. Center is so crucial. Plus Hopkins is there as back up if needed.
Sewell/Slater Hopkins Hudson Spain Williams is a much better line than last year by far

I think Hudson improves the whole line. Center is so crucial. Plus Hopkins is there as back up if needed.
Sewell/Slater Hopkins Hudson Spain Williams is a much better line than last year by far
Could not agree more but I might say that with just Sewell as well if Hopkins is as ready as they say he is. He's their best lineman today imo. Not sure if Spain AND Hudson are in the works though because S'ua Filo is signed 2 more years. Hope so. I like that thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT