ADVERTISEMENT

Bengals and their draft pick

I like Spain. Good move imo. Don't know much about Apple. Would like to see them get Warford or Trai Turner for RG.
Defense had had a major overhaul which was needed. Hope Reader and Waynes get healthy. Hopefully that side of the ball is much better next season.
This should help them zero in on their draft needs.

Word is they haven’t even contacted Trai Turner. I thought he would be a good pickup. Maybe asking too much?

Reactions: Cawood86
Word is they haven’t even contacted Trai Turner. I thought he would be a good pickup. Maybe asking too much?

They are probably leaving some room for former picks to develop and also the opportunity to bring on at least 1-2 draft picks to fill OLine roles. They don't have much money invested in Price and Jordan, but they need to be able to evaluate them this season to make a determination on their futures with the team. The Bengals do have a decent amount invested in Trey Hopkins over the next two seasons, so it won't be easy to cut him without eating the dead cap. Williams, Hopkins, and Reiff are the three anchors, and the team would have four with Turner without much room for flexibility to evaluate the young guys with possible draft picks on top of that.

Turner is also the high end of the market, and the Bengals are targeting mostly value free agents who are coming off injuries or otherwise not commanding optimal money.

Last edited:
I am shocked at the speed in which the Bengals replaced Shawn Williams who also signed today in AZ. I don't know much about Ricardo Allen other than he's been a captain and starter @ safety in ATL.

McShay has the Bengals taking Chase at 5 and Jaylen Myafield, Michigan OT in the 2nd rd

McShay has the Bengals taking Chase at 5 and Jaylen Myafield, Michigan OT in the 2nd rd
I wouldn't want the Bengals to take a receiver in the first round. There are too many good high-end receivers, and they will curse the one they choose while the others have Hall of Fame careers.

I would much rather them take the consensus top lineman, and then try to get someone like Marshall or Bateman in the second round if they wanted another receiver.

Reactions: jameslee32
I wouldn't want the Bengals to take a receiver in the first round. There are too many good high-end receivers, and they will curse the one they choose while the others have Hall of Fame careers.

I would much rather them take the consensus top lineman, and then try to get someone like Marshall or Bateman in the second round if they wanted another receiver.
I’d rather Chase because he’s about as can’t miss a prospect can be in this draft are any other. Sewell is good but I’m not sold that he’s a better prospect than Chase. Chase will instantly upgrade this team and offense. It’s a deep OL class and you can get an excellent G/T with there early 2nd round pick and even there 3rd rounder.

Reactions: uofkFTW18
Don't take any UK players because I don't want to cheer for them whenever the Steelers play y'all lol

I’d rather Chase because he’s about as can’t miss a prospect can be in this draft are any other. Sewell is good but I’m not sold that he’s a better prospect than Chase. Chase will instantly upgrade this team and offense. It’s a deep OL class and you can get an excellent G/T with there early 2nd round pick and even there 3rd rounder.

It's a deep receiver and lineman group. Sewell is also can't miss at their most important position of need. Bateman was considered a Top 10 pick before the season, and now he looks to be there in the second round.

The Bengals have Boyd and Higgins, but elite receiving weapons like Chase won't matter if Burrow can't stand upright and stay healthy anyway.

I'm not sold on Chase, sitting out 2020 has me wondering about his dedication. Talent is there, no denying that. Is he more of the Julio Jones/Larry Fitzgerald mindset or the OBJ/Chad Johnson mindset? If it's the latter, give me Waddle, Pitts, or Smith instead. Preferably Smith, talent plus good head on his shoulders.

Reactions: BeAllied
I’m all aboard Chase at 5 and OL in the 2nd now. Wouldn’t be opposed to Sewell at all, but think Chase at 5 and then someone like Dickerson or Cosmi or whoever at 38 is the best way to get the most talent and still address two positions of need.

Reactions: hamidousvertical
Hope they go Pitts but I won’t be mad if they choose Chase. I will understand picking Sewell because of the need to upgrade the OL but it would hurt watching Pitts and Chase put up big numbers year after year. Find a solid OL prospect in the second round.

Drafting the BPA is what needs to be done with every draft choice. But anyone watching the Bengals/Browns replay last night on NFL Network certainly knows the choice should be 0L even if it means trading down. At minimum 2nd/3rd round OL and maybe steal Dickerson.

I'm not sold on Chase, sitting out 2020 has me wondering about his dedication. Talent is there, no denying that. Is he more of the Julio Jones/Larry Fitzgerald mindset or the OBJ/Chad Johnson mindset? If it's the latter, give me Waddle, Pitts, or Smith instead. Preferably Smith, talent plus good head on his shoulders.
Smith reminds me more of Chad with his footwork and build. Just an amazing player.

It's a deep receiver and lineman group. Sewell is also can't miss at their most important position of need. Bateman was considered a Top 10 pick before the season, and now he looks to be there in the second round.

The Bengals have Boyd and Higgins, but elite receiving weapons like Chase won't matter if Burrow can't stand upright and stay healthy anyway.
Burrow will be fine. They got rid of Hart and Michael Jordan won’t be starting at Guard. Jonah Spain Hopkins Draft pick Rief is a formidable OL. Not to mention they have one of the best OL coaches in the business.

Burrow will be fine. They got rid of Hart and Michael Jordan won’t be starting at Guard. Jonah Spain Hopkins Draft pick Rief is a formidable OL. Not to mention they have one of the best OL coaches in the business.
I hope Jonah can stay healthy, and Hopkins is coming off a knee injury. I agree on Pollack, he is a heck of a coach.

Drafting the BPA is what needs to be done with every draft choice. But anyone watching the Bengals/Browns replay last night on NFL Network certainly knows the choice should be 0L even if it means trading down.

If they stay at 5, BPA will either be an O-Lineman (Sewell) or another weapon for Burrow (Chase or Pitts). If they trade down, I imagine Rashawn Slater, Alijah Vera-Tucker and the Bama receivers (Smith and Waddle) would be top targets with an outside possibility of a corner (Surtain or Jaycee Horn) or linebacker (Micah Parsons).

I had a chance to look at his mock. It looks like he purposefully did it to create storylines by re-uniting members of last year's QB class with former teammates from college.

Burrow and Chase
Tua and Smith
Herbert and Sewell

I'm sure that sounds exciting and all, but it's also clickbait. We all saw Burrow and Chase dominate college football, so that has a level of comfort to the idea.

I try not to get too invested into these analyst mocks because people start parroting them, falling into groupthink, and then having the same expectations of "player value". A similar thing happens when ranking high school recruits and trying to compile a ranked list of them.

At the end of the day, the Bengals are in a good spot to grab an immediate improvement to their roster.

I like how the OL is shaping up as well. But in addition to injuries, Spain and Reiff are only signed one year. Even when healthy, Williams and Hopkins are signed for 2 more years. They will need to address the OL in the draft or extend guys anyway.

Bingo. The Cincinnati media on radio have been pushing the Chase angle lately. Tells me they don't think Sewell will be there and are trying to get Bengals fans on board.

If we can't get Sewell, you trade the eff down and get extra picks and get the next best OL and don't overpay him. Period. Priority 1 2 and 3 need to be protecting friggin Joe.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
If I'm Cincinnati, I'm taking Sewell if he is available, unless I trade back and get extra picks.
I think the only way he isn't available is if the Falcons trade the pick to someone who wants Sewell more than the Bengals. If he is gone, then there will probably be a team out there who wants to jump the line on one of these QBs that fall past #3.

Bingo. The Cincinnati media on radio have been pushing the Chase angle lately. Tells me they don't think Sewell will be there and are trying to get Bengals fans on board.

If we can't get Sewell, you trade the eff down and get extra picks and get the next best OL and don't overpay him. Period. Priority 1 2 and 3 need to be protecting friggin Joe.

I think they are just pushing a debate to get listeners. Without a debate and firing people up over the most obvious move (drafting the best offensive lineman available to protect your #1 pick QB), then people will be less likely to flock to your controversial "buzz".

Jumping onboard the Chase train is just people getting anxious and bracing for a less than optimal scenario.

Reactions: CB3UK
I’d go Chase with the 5th overall pick. This is a historic OL class. PFF has a 1st round grade on 7 OT prospects. The Bengals can add OL in rounds 2 and 3. Riley Reiff was a major upgrade over Bobby Hart. The same can be said bringing in Frank Pollack and replacing Jim Turner. Sewell having 33 1/4” arms worries me along with the fact he didn’t see many NFL quality edge rushers in his year and a half at Oregon. Justin Jefferson was one of the best wide receivers in the NFL last year. JaMarr Chase was better.

I’d go Chase with the 5th overall pick. This is a historic OL class. PFF has a 1st round grade on 7 OT prospects. The Bengals can add OL in rounds 2 and 3. Riley Reiff was a major upgrade over Bobby Hart. The same can be said bringing in Frank Pollack and replacing Jim Turner. Sewell having 33 1/4” arms worries me along with the fact he didn’t see many NFL quality edge rushers in his year and a half at Oregon. Justin Jefferson was one of the best wide receivers in the NFL last year. JaMarr Chase was better.
Getting concerned over an inch in arm length is overthinking it. I know what the data says about arm length, but there is no way to compare players against themselves with a variable of slightly shorter or longer arms. The outcome (PFF ratings, sacks allowed, pancakes, whatever measure of success you can think of for an offensive lineman) could be the exact same for individual players. Data points attempting to show a correlation between a physical trait like arm length (especially with the difference being only an inch or two - which is probably within a single standard deviation) and success are ridiculous because they cannot measure the underlying talent and ability of each individual data point.

Riley Reiff also has the exact same arm measurement as Sewell.

iu

The Bengals will take Chase with the fifth pick. Two reasons. There will be plenty of skilled offensive linemen available with the fifth pick of the second round including both of the big Bama linemen and the lineman from BYU and second they are really down to just two skilled wide receivers and if Boyd or Higgins are injured then that leaves a very inconsistent Tate to fill in . Highly drafted wide receivers tend to do better in year one than linemen. In fact , I do not think there were any first round OL men starting in this years super bowl!

I like how the OL is shaping up as well. But in addition to injuries, Spain and Reiff are only signed one year. Even when healthy, Williams and Hopkins are signed for 2 more years. They will need to address the OL in the draft or extend guys anyway.
I think they have every intention of extending Reiff from everything I’ve read. I think he probably wanted a 1 year deal and if we have success this year we will extend him. Spain is on a prove it deal. He was very solid considering he walked into a disastrous line around him and couldn’t really settle in at one spot. I expect Spain to perform better this year than last because the new scheme suits his athletic ability better. Sua Filo is a perfect 3rd guard type and can start for you if the rest of the line is in good shape. RG is the spot we will try to upgrade though. Michael Jordan is a guy that I feel for. He is very very young for a guy going into his 3rd year. He just struggles really badly getting his pad level lower than the DTs. I would love to get a guy like Leatherwood in the 2nd round and somehow get Landon 4th and Drake 5th . I think Drake is a great fit for Pollacks scheme with his quickness.

I think they have every intention of extending Reiff from everything I’ve read. I think he probably wanted a 1 year deal and if we have success this year we will extend him. Spain is on a prove it deal. He was very solid considering he walked into a disastrous line around him and couldn’t really settle in at one spot. I expect Spain to perform better this year than last because the new scheme suits his athletic ability better. Sua Filo is a perfect 3rd guard type and can start for you if the rest of the line is in good shape. RG is the spot we will try to upgrade though. Michael Jordan is a guy that I feel for. He is very very young for a guy going into his 3rd year. He just struggles really badly getting his pad level lower than the DTs. I would love to get a guy like Leatherwood in the 2nd round and somehow get Landon 4th and Drake 5th . I think Drake is a great fit for Pollacks scheme with his quickness.
They were starting Spain and Sua Filo at the end of last year. Yet here's Jordan, a guy they traded up for in the 2019 draft, developed by Jim Turner and still couldn't stay on the field. The good news for him is he can also play center. The bad news is signing Spain and a deep 2021 class. Same for Price I'd say except Frank Pollack was here when they drafted him in the first round in 2018. The Bengals success in drafting linemen over the past 6 years is truly abysmal and might actually give them religion to draft elsewhere.

Gio had pretty good run with Bengals. Hate to see him move on, but certainly understand it with the roster. Wouldn't mind Carolina picking him up to backup McCaffery.

Travis Etienne probably won't be on the board when the Bengals pick in the second round, but if he was, then it would be interesting to pair him with Mixon. That is of course assuming they got their lineman in the first round.

They will probably get somebody like Kylin Hill to replace Gio.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Getting concerned over an inch in arm length is overthinking it. I know what the data says about arm length, but there is no way to compare players against themselves with a variable of slightly shorter or longer arms. The outcome (PFF ratings, sacks allowed, pancakes, whatever measure of success you can think of for an offensive lineman) could be the exact same for individual players. Data points attempting to show a correlation between a physical trait like arm length (especially with the difference being only an inch or two - which is probably within a single standard deviation) and success are ridiculous because they cannot measure the underlying talent and ability of each individual data point.

Riley Reiff also has the exact same arm measurement as Sewell.

iu
I wouldn't draft a Reiff with the 5th overall pick either. I'm okay with the Bengals selecting Sewell at 5. I'd rather see them get a Chase though. They didn't have any deep ball production last year. I think Higgins and Boyd are good receivers but the Bengals need a guy that can get separation. You still have to protect Joe Burrow. I believe the Bengals should draft OL in the 2nd and 3rd round. The type of receiver the Bengals need probably wont be there in the 2nd. There is plenty of slot receivers but not many outside guys. Here are some offensive lineman that can be there in the 2nd and 3rd day.
Leatherwood, Eichenburg, Radunz, Spencer Brown, Wyatt Davis, Creed Humphrey, Ben Cleveland, Sam Cosmi, Walker Little, Quinn Meinerz, Aaron Banks, Kendrick Green, Vera-Tucker, Jackson Carman, Trey Smith, Jalen Mayfield, Landon Dickerson, and the list keeps on going. It's a loaded offensive line class.

I wouldn't draft a Reiff with the 5th overall pick either. I'm okay with the Bengals selecting Sewell at 5. I'd rather see them get a Chase though. They didn't have any deep ball production last year. I think Higgins and Boyd are good receivers but the Bengals need a guy that can get separation. You still have to protect Joe Burrow. I believe the Bengals should draft OL in the 2nd and 3rd round. The type of receiver the Bengals need probably wont be there in the 2nd. There is plenty of slot receivers but not many outside guys. Here are some offensive lineman that can be there in the 2nd and 3rd day.
Leatherwood, Eichenburg, Radunz, Spencer Brown, Wyatt Davis, Creed Humphrey, Ben Cleveland, Sam Cosmi, Walker Little, Quinn Meinerz, Aaron Banks, Kendrick Green, Vera-Tucker, Jackson Carman, Trey Smith, Jalen Mayfield, Landon Dickerson, and the list keeps on going. It's a loaded offensive line class.

Are you using a specific website's rankings? I don't believe that I have seen anybody projecting Vera-Tucker past the first round. Sam Cosmi's pro-day likely solidified him in the first round as well.

Many of the guys you listed are projected as interior linemen, and the Bengals need a pure tackle if they can't rely on William's health and Reiff being a long-term option.

This is just anecdotal, but Pro Bowlers among linemen tend to be drafted in the first round. Receivers are often found in rounds 2-5. The 2021 AFC Pro Bowlers among linemen and receivers:

Eric Fisher (1st round)
Laremy Tunsil (1st round)
Joel Bitonio (2nd round)
Quenton Nelson (1st round)
Maurkice Pouncey (1st round)
Orlando Brown Jr (3rd round)
David DeCastro (1st round)
Ryan Kelly (1st round)

Tyreek Hill (5th round)
Stefon Diggs (5th round)
Keenan Allen (3rd round)
A.J. Brown (2nd round)

I don't disagree that the Bengals also need an outside receiver, but if they can't get it this year because they have a more prioritized need, then go get it next year. This is not a Super Bowl team. The priority should be making the line as good as you can possibly make it to insure the health of their most important asset. You don't want to water it down in anyway if it could have a negative impact on the development of Burrow. Focusing on later round linemen just because you assume that you can has disaster written all over it for this franchise.

ADVERTISEMENT