ADVERTISEMENT

Bengals and their draft pick

I didn't realize that Josh Edwards wrote for CBS, but he just released a mock draft that had the Falcons taking Rashawn Slater at #4 overall. I think he is wrong with this projection because the Falcons would be more likely to swap picks with a team who wanted to take one of the QBs. But in case you see it, then don't get too concerned or start thinking that Slater is a better selection for the Bengals.

The Falcons already have tackles, and Slater is someone who could fill in on the interior for them. The Bengals need to fill that tackle spot because it's more important, and the obvious choice for them is Sewell, not Slater.

Reactions: Cawood86
I didn't realize that Josh Edwards wrote for CBS, but he just released a mock draft that had the Falcons taking Rashawn Slater at #4 overall. I think he is wrong with this projection because the Falcons would be more likely to swap picks with a team who wanted to take one of the QBs. But in case you see it, then don't get too concerned or start thinking that Slater is a better selection for the Bengals.

The Falcons already have tackles, and Slater is someone who could fill in on the interior for them. The Bengals need to fill that tackle spot because it's more important, and the obvious choice for them is Sewell, not Slater.
I have seen a few draft sites claim that there are a few GM's that prefer Slater over Sewell. I don't know how true they are.

I have seen a few draft sites claim that there are a few GM's that prefer Slater over Sewell. I don't know how true they are.

I guess if you are looking for a player with more flexibility then maybe you would look at Slater and allow that to impact your rankings of players. Sewell represents rigidity as a tackle-only prospect and Slater represents flexibility as a can fill-in at any spot on the line guy. This might give Slater a higher floor if you can move him to other positions, but it ultimately represents a lower ceiling as well.

If Slater fails at tackle, then he is not necessarily a bust because you can try him elsewhere. If Sewell fails at tackle, then he will absolutely be a bust.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
Wil Fuller signs with Miami. If Miami decides to not take a receiver at 3, they may knock the Bengals out of getting Sewell.

Miami's biggest needs are on defense now. If they take Sewell, then they won't have room to develop their 2nd round pick from last season (Robert Hunt) AND a 1st-round pick they are taking a low-risk gamble on (Isaiah Wilson). The rest of their line is filled by veterans and another 1st rounder from last year (Austin Jackson). Sewell just doesn't make sense in complete team building across the board.

With the Fuller signing, it's makes a lot of sense for them to trade down unless they really love a defender that high. If they wanted to build a two tight-end offense for Tua, which would also make sense, then Kyle Pitts and Mike Gesicki would be a potentially amazing duo with Parker, Fuller, Grant, and Hurns on the outside. Lynn Bowden in the slot. Miami might actually be a good longshot SuperBowl bet for 2023 if Tua makes any strides in development.

Yes indeed. FINALLY snag some OL help. Seems like there's a lot of call for us to go get Kenny Golladay too. I'd definitely welcome that. I'm afraid if Sewell isn't there for us in Rd 1 we'll go WR....nabbing Golladay would give us him Higgins and Boyd. Plenty good for this year and allows us to focus on what we need to...which is OL and secondary. Reid says he's willing to move over to guard if he needs to, but his experience at LT allows us to bring Sewell along instead of toss him.into the frying pan too.

They just cut Bobby Hart to save some money too.

They now have protection even if they don't get Sewell, but also the flexibility of 3 viable OTs in case of injury if they do get him. Speculation is that Reiff will play at guard if the Bengals get Sewell.
Good news. Heck I may even consider trading down a little and getting some extra picks. Glad the Hart experiment is over lol.

Yes indeed. FINALLY snag some OL help. Seems like there's a lot of call for us to go get Kenny Golladay too. I'd definitely welcome that. I'm afraid if Sewell isn't there for us in Rd 1 we'll go WR....nabbing Golladay would give us him Higgins and Boyd. Plenty good for this year and allows us to focus on what we need to...which is OL and secondary. Reid says he's willing to move over to guard if he needs to, but his experience at LT allows us to bring Sewell along instead of toss him.into the frying pan too.
Pass rushers are a big need as well.

Reactions: WildcatDJ and CB3UK
Hearing also that the Bengals are contacting Trai Turner...That would truly improve their exponentially.
Thinking if they get their OL improved like they are trying to do....they may go Pitts or Chase at and OL next in the draft.
I think shoul be their 5 pick if he is available.

If Sewell isn't there at 5 but several of the top QBs are, Bengals front office needs to get their head out of ass and trade down and get extra picks in the draft out of it. You can move down not even super far in the first round, get additional picks, and still get the second best OL in the draft. Why overdraft the guy.

No matter what our first pick needs to be OL help. Still our biggest position of need.

Also hate to see AJ and Geno go. So many awesome memories from these guys. Great Bengals in my book.

If Sewell isn't there at 5 but several of the top QBs are, Bengals front office needs to get their head out of ass and trade down and get extra picks in the draft out of it. You can move down not even super far in the first round, get additional picks, and still get the second best OL in the draft. Why overdraft the guy.

No matter what our first pick needs to be OL help. Still our biggest position of need.

Also hate to see AJ and Geno go. So many awesome memories from these guys. Great Bengals in my book.
Geno should be a 1st ballot HOFer. AJ just did his business and did it very well. Great drafting by the Bengals on those two.

Miami released OT Wilson. Still don't think they draft an OT but worth noting

Talk about having an "oh crap" moment after seeing that.

But, I still agree. The Dolphins have the #18 and #36 picks too. Good OLs are expected to still be there at those picks, but the top end playmaking receivers are all expected to be gone.

Keep #3 to take the best receiver on their board or trade down for more picks fits the Dolphins' recent strategy. With the Fuller signing, taking Kyle Pitts would not be surprising at all because two-tight end sets would work well with Tua's arm ability.

I would like to see the Bengals grab Pitts. I am sure Burrow would love to throw to Chase again as well. Having a stud TE would do wonders for the offense- same with Chase. These two are just such great playmakers and to win in this league you must have firepower.

I understand that the line needs to be addressed but I think the Bengals can still get a starting caliber OL later in the draft.

Reactions: Cawood86
I would like to see the Bengals grab Pitts. I am sure Burrow would love to throw to Chase again as well. Having a stud TE would do wonders for the offense- same with Chase. These two are just such great playmakers and to win in this league you must have firepower.

I understand that the line needs to be addressed but I think the Bengals can still get a starting caliber OL later in the draft.
If they could sign a Good FA right guard, I think it would be wise to go after Pitts. He's a game changer imo. Go OL after that.

Reactions: hamidousvertical
As of today, Mel Kiper has Kyle Pitts going to the Bengals at #5. This includes the Dolphins trading out of #3 and Sewell falling to the #9 pick (Vikings trading up to replace Reiff).

As of today, Mel Kiper has Kyle Pitts going to the Bengals at #5. This includes the Dolphins trading out of #3 and Sewell falling to the #9 pick (Vikings trading up to replace Reiff).
Unless the Bengals can a good RG before the draft, I would rather they get Sewell or Slater. Burrow needs time to make plays. I really like Pitts, if they can get a RG, I'm all in on Pitts. Dude is a freak.
Warford is still available I believe and Spain who played some last year. Right now, RG is a huge problem.

Unless the Bengals can a good RG before the draft, I would rather they get Sewell or Slater. Burrow needs time to make plays. I really like Pitts, if they can get a RG, I'm all in on Pitts. Dude is a freak.
Warford is still available I believe and Spain who played some last year. Right now, RG is a huge problem.
Spain is signing with the Bengals for one more year. Pumped about that. Price could be the next to go. All these moves gives them the option to go offense again this year in the draft. I woud still be fine picking Sewell. The most important thing is having the protection necessary to protect Joe for the next 10 years. At this point it might be Sewell, Pitts, Chase, Smith or trading down.

I like Spain. Good move imo. Don't know much about Apple. Would like to see them get Warford or Trai Turner for RG.
Defense had had a major overhaul which was needed. Hope Reader and Waynes get healthy. Hopefully that side of the ball is much better next season.
This should help them zero in on their draft needs.

ADVERTISEMENT