ADVERTISEMENT

Bengals and their draft pick

TheBlueCat

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 1, 2020
Curious to see what the resident Bengals fans think will happen. Ja'marr Chase seems like a no brainer.

Reactions: JC CATS
Keep winning these meaningless games, and they will lose out on the Sewell sweepstakes. May have already if Jets elect to roll with Darnold another year.
There are now quite a few teams likely ahead of the Bengals. Hou (but Miami gets their pick) at 4-11 now; Bengals at 4-10-1, Falcons at 4-11, and if Eagles lose today they will be 4-10-1.

If the Bengals slip to 6th or 7th they will likely have no choice but to take Chase or Devonta Smith, or a DE/Edge rusher, and go with best avail OT in 2nd round.

There are now quite a few teams likely ahead of the Bengals. Hou (but Miami gets their pick) at 4-11 now; Bengals at 4-10-1, Falcons at 4-11, and if Eagles lose today they will be 4-10-1.

If the Bengals slip to 6th or 7th they will likely have no choice but to take Chase or Devonta Smith, or a DE/Edge rusher, and go with best avail OT in 2nd round.
What about Rashawn Slater etc. in 1st?

Reactions: TNTUK
Slater is tough Because he played at NU and was the star if a bad oline, he has not until recently gotten the press he deserves. He is getting attention now with his NFL ready body. He was a great FY and got a lot of starts in BIG. He would be a safe solid pick. Won't be any off the field issues and does not have the injury bug the Bengals OL draftees have caught. Great pick.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
Slater is tough Because he played at NU and was the star if a bad oline, he has not until recently gotten the press he deserves. He is getting attention now with his NFL ready body. He was a great FY and got a lot of starts in BIG. He would be a safe solid pick. Won't be any off the field issues and does not have the injury bug the Bengals OL draftees have caught. Great pick.
Yeah. May move inside due to ideal height, but projects to play any position on line. Maybe a little too high, but Burrow needs the best protection available.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Better not win another game or they could drop 4/5 slots.
There ya go. Blew the spots yesterday. Hopefully they don't upset Ravens & drop even further. What a disgrace that would be. Brown Family prides itself on top picks.

It's Sewell or bust for the Bengals.

The only positive for them is that Miami, Atlanta, and Philadelphia may not be looking for an OT this high in the draft.

Miami went OL in the first and second rounds in 2020. Robert Hunt could be moved inside to guard, but they have been playing him at OT because they are already covered on the inside with Jesse Davis and Ereck Flowers. Plus, they badly need playmakers around Tua. They might prefer to have Smith or Chase and they could also be open to swapping picks with the Bengals. Plus, they also have another 1st rounder to target OL if they want. Take an elite receiver or an elite OT, and then target the other later on is their dilemma. I think they would go WR first because it will allow a later pick to be more of a depth move while focusing on a greater need with the higher selection.

Atlanta also has no need for a tackle because they have Jake Matthews and Kaleb McGary. They need a lot of help on defense, especially in the secondary, so they could be looking at Surtain or other defense with their pick.

I don't know who gets the priority in the order, but just in case Philadelphia does, the Eagles are also not necessarily looking for a tackle with a high first round pick while they still have Lane Johnson, Andre Dillard, and possibly Jason Peters.

Last edited:
If they aren't able to get Sewell, and I don't think they will, I believe they should trade down if possible.

Based on the draft boards I've been looking at there are no other OL that should be drafted that high.

The Jets blew it by winning and so did the Bengals. Jags are going to be the big winners.

Edit:. After looking at some more mock drafts it looks like the Bengals getting Sewell at number 5 is pretty good.

Last edited:
Bengals OL has actually shown some improvement. Jonah Hopkins Hart all graded fairly highly at there positions on PFF. Where they need to upgrade is guard. I like Spain and Sua FILO as depth pieces and maybe you can start one of them but they need to sign a guy like Thuney are Scherff for the other spot. I doubt we get Sewell now but we can still add a good player to compete with Hart at RT. A OL of LT Jonah LG Thuney C Hopkins RG Spain RT Hart/ Draft pick is a good start. Then draft Drake in the 4th round and possibly upgrade the center position down the road. IF they somehow manage to get Sewell you play him at LT and move Jonah to RT

Bengals OL has actually shown some improvement. Jonah Hopkins Hart all graded fairly highly at there positions on PFF. Where they need to upgrade is guard. I like Spain and Sua FILO as depth pieces and maybe you can start one of them but they need to sign a guy like Thuney are Scherff for the other spot. I doubt we get Sewell now but we can still add a good player to compete with Hart at RT. A OL of LT Jonah LG Thuney C Hopkins RG Spain RT Hart/ Draft pick is a good start. Then draft Drake in the 4th round and possibly upgrade the center position down the road. IF they somehow manage to get Sewell you play him at LT and move Jonah to RT
I have doubts about Jonah Williams staying healthy. I'm most definitely looking for Bobby Hart's replacement.

You are not wrong sir.
If we draft anything other than best available OL Duke Tobin and Mike Brown need to be tarred and feathered. We can replace AJ and John down the road. We cannot replace Joe.
There are other OT's in the draft besdies Sewell as you know. If he's there when the Bengals pick, he should be the pick. If not, pick the best player.
They can use FA to address OL needs as well. OL has to be priority #1 absolutely.
Pitts kid at UF intrigues me. Hin and Higgins would be quite the pair. But Burrow being protected first and foremost is and must be addressed.

If they aren't able to get Sewell, and I don't think they will, I believe they should trade down if possible.

Based on the draft boards I've been looking at there are no other OL that should be drafted that high.

The Jets blew it by winning and so did the Bengals. Jags are going to be the big winners.

Edit:. After looking at some more mock drafts it looks like the Bengals getting Sewell at number 5 is pretty good.

Trading the high pick for 2 more spots in the same draft is a great strategy IF you have a great plan and the picks arent too far down the totem pole

Exactly. None of the other teams that moved ahead of the Bengals in the draft order are in dire need of OTs.

There are other OT's in the draft besdies Sewell as you know. If he's there when the Bengals pick, he should be the pick. If not, pick the best player.
They can use FA to address OL needs as well. OL has to be priority #1 absolutely.
Pitts kid at UF intrigues me. Hin and Higgins would be quite the pair. But Burrow being protected first and foremost is and must be addressed.
You've outlined what I actually want us to do. Get off our ass, go get legit OL in free agency. Get Pitts. He can help blocking AND offset the loss of AJ and John.

I just don't trust us to do anything other than take some half assed measure and try to do another Bobby Hart bs move there. If that's what we're gonna do, then draft the OL FIRST.

Also, Sewell hasn't played this year. How many times have we done something like this and reached and gotten burned? I just feel like Bengals fans have been told for weeks if not mo ths thats who we're going after and now we've got fans who are angry because we aren't going to draft a guy who's an unknown commodity and are mad about winning football games. WTF are we doing people?

You've outlined what I actually want us to do. Get off our ass, go get legit OL in free agency. Get Pitts. He can help blocking AND offset the loss of AJ and John.

I just don't trust us to do anything other than take some half assed measure and try to do another Bobby Hart bs move there. If that's what we're gonna do, then draft the OL FIRST.

Also, Sewell hasn't played this year. How many times have we done something like this and reached and gotten burned? I just feel like Bengals fans have been told for weeks if not mo ths thats who we're going after and now we've got fans who are angry because we aren't going to draft a guy who's an unknown commodity and are mad about winning football games. WTF are we doing people?

I would be skittish over them drafting a tight end that high. But that's what the recency bias of the Gresham (Gronk and Graham picked later) and Eifert (Ertz, Kelce, and Reed picked later) picks will do to someone. The best tight ends in the league always seem to be drafted in rounds 2-5, but I guess Drew Sample won't be falling into that category.

Reactions: jameslee32
I would be skittish over them drafting a tight end that high. But that's what the recency bias of the Gresham (Gronk and Graham picked later) and Eifert (Ertz, Kelce, and Reed picked later) picks will do to someone. The best tight ends in the league always seem to be drafted in rounds 2-5, but I guess Drew Sample won't be falling into that category.
Yeah, I agree. Especially about Sample. We were sold on him as a 2nd rd pick because the Rams ran a lot of 2TE sets. I'm not gonna go back through 2 seasons of film, but damn if I've seen us do it much if at all.

I think I was more trying to rationalize out loud what kind of skill position player I personally could accept us taking there, IF we do what we should do in free agency. Which is a huge IF with this franchise. And even then, let me say, I would still rather we further bolster the OL or secondary.

I just see the mock drafts changing and the narrative in the Cincinnati media has suddenly shifted. All of a sudden we're tossing WR around. So I'm like "nooo....if were gonna go that route then at least go get Pitts." 😄

[laughing]

<- - - Cowboys fan since '70.

Hey, Dallas still in the playoff hunt. Andy's been playing a lot better these last couple games. Now if they can fix the defense.....

Cowboys fan since 79-80. They need to stay out of the playoffs this year and secure a decent draft pick. Their curse is that they're always mediocre. Never bad enough for a great pick, never good enough to threaten for the conference championship.

But of course they'll probably end up making the playoffs and worst case win a game to reallly screw their draft pick. Then the Jones' make a power play with Prescott believe they can win with the red-rocket and let Dak go. Dalton has had a nice little run but it is just the type of fools gold that the Jones' will far for.

i said it then and i will say it now
Sample was a wasted 2nd rd pick

Cowboys fan since 79-80. They need to stay out of the playoffs this year and secure a decent draft pick. Their curse is that they're always mediocre. Never bad enough for a great pick, never good enough to threaten for the conference championship.

But of course they'll probably end up making the playoffs and worst case win a game to reallly screw their draft pick. Then the Jones' make a power play with Prescott believe they can win with the red-rocket and let Dak go. Dalton has had a nice little run but it is just the type of fools gold that the Jones' will far for.
Good stuff. I agree. Decent draft picks might make a huge difference going into next season.

To make the playoffs, I believe Boys must beat NYG and Eagles defeat Washington?

I have doubts about Jonah Williams staying healthy. I'm most definitely looking for Bobby Hart's replacement.
I’m not overly concerned I think as his strength improves he becomes more durable. He’s had an inept LG next to him the whole year that is not a good thing for a LT. He will be fine. He managed great health at Bama starting for 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT