ADVERTISEMENT

Bengals and their draft pick

Bengals OL has actually shown some improvement. Jonah Hopkins Hart all graded fairly highly at there positions on PFF. Where they need to upgrade is guard. I like Spain and Sua FILO as depth pieces and maybe you can start one of them but they need to sign a guy like Thuney are Scherff for the other spot. I doubt we get Sewell now but we can still add a good player to compete with Hart at RT. A OL of LT Jonah LG Thuney C Hopkins RG Spain RT Hart/ Draft pick is a good start. Then draft Drake in the 4th round and possibly upgrade the center position down the road. IF they somehow manage to get Sewell you play him at LT and move Jonah to RT
Spain is a FA. Hope they give him a deal. He's been yuge!

Su'a-Filo is good too since coming back from injury. He's signed 2 more years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
If they can't get Sewell, I would trade down into the mid-first round area and pick up an additional second rounder if possible and use two of the top three picks on offensive lineman and then either the best available pass rusher or corner if we lose Willie Jackson.

The Bengals first and second round picks better be OL and then they need to start getting DL. They don’t need any more skill position players.

It's Sewell or bust for the Bengals.

The only positive for them is that Miami, Atlanta, and Philadelphia may not be looking for an OT this high in the draft.

Miami went OL in the first and second rounds in 2020. Robert Hunt could be moved inside to guard, but they have been playing him at OT because they are already covered on the inside with Jesse Davis and Ereck Flowers. Plus, they badly need playmakers around Tua. They might prefer to have Smith or Chase and they could also be open to swapping picks with the Bengals. Plus, they also have another 1st rounder to target OL if they want. Take an elite receiver or an elite OT, and then target the other later on is their dilemma. I think they would go WR first because it will allow a later pick to be more of a depth move while focusing on a greater need with the higher selection.

Atlanta also has no need for a tackle because they have Jake Matthews and Kaleb McGary. They need a lot of help on defense, especially in the secondary, so they could be looking at Surtain or other defense with their pick.

I don't know who gets the priority in the order, but just in case Philadelphia does, the Eagles are also not necessarily looking for a tackle with a high first round pick while they still have Lane Johnson, Andre Dillard, and possibly Jason Peters.

Seeing a lot more recent mock drafts with Sewell going to the Bengals at #5. I don't see the Jets sticking with Darnold, and I still believe the Dolphins will go for the best wide receiver to give Tua some firepower. Atlanta doesn't need a OT, which completes the path for Sewell to the Bengals.

If Sewell is gone they could take Best WR/Pitts and get a OL 2nd rd. They shouldn't take another OL besides Sewell at 5. They could possibly have someone like Landon Dickerson still available 2nd rd
I don't know if I'd gamble on Dickerson with him coming off that bad knee injury. I'm not convinced Jonah Williams is going to stay healthy.

If Sewell is gone they could take Best WR/Pitts and get a OL 2nd rd. They shouldn't take another OL besides Sewell at 5. They could possibly have someone like Landon Dickerson still available 2nd rd

Cincinnati badly needs an OT. Landon Dickerson doesn't help them there. If they can't get Sewell, then the best thing to do would be to trade back in the first round with a team who wants one of the QBs. This will allow them to add draft capital and pick up one of the other first round OT talents.

If they want a center, then my hope would be to get Drake Jackson in the 3rd-4th round.

Cincinnati badly needs an OT. Landon Dickerson doesn't help them there. If they can't get Sewell, then the best thing to do would be to trade back in the first round with a team who wants one of the QBs. This will allow them to add draft capital and pick up one of the other first round OT talents.

If they want a center, then my hope would be to get Drake Jackson in the 3rd-4th round.
Trade back a little and get Slater.

It's Sewell or bust for the Bengals.

The only positive for them is that Miami, Atlanta, and Philadelphia may not be looking for an OT this high in the draft.

Miami went OL in the first and second rounds in 2020. Robert Hunt could be moved inside to guard, but they have been playing him at OT because they are already covered on the inside with Jesse Davis and Ereck Flowers. Plus, they badly need playmakers around Tua. They might prefer to have Smith or Chase and they could also be open to swapping picks with the Bengals. Plus, they also have another 1st rounder to target OL if they want. Take an elite receiver or an elite OT, and then target the other later on is their dilemma. I think they would go WR first because it will allow a later pick to be more of a depth move while focusing on a greater need with the higher selection.

Atlanta also has no need for a tackle because they have Jake Matthews and Kaleb McGary. They need a lot of help on defense, especially in the secondary, so they could be looking at Surtain or other defense with their pick.

I don't know who gets the priority in the order, but just in case Philadelphia does, the Eagles are also not necessarily looking for a tackle with a high first round pick while they still have Lane Johnson, Andre Dillard, and possibly Jason Peters.

Been a Falcon fan since they were named. One thing I can tell you for certain is their first round pick will make no sense. With 55+ number 1 draft picks, only 2 or 3 made sense to anyone outside the Falcon warroom.

Been a Falcon fan since they were named. One thing I can tell you for certain is their first round pick will make no sense. With 55+ number 1 draft picks, only 2 or 3 made sense to anyone outside the Falcon warroom.

Michael Vick, Matt Ryan, and Julio Jones were probably the 2-3. Calvin Ridley looks like a nice one, though. EDIT: Looked back on their picks. Can't forget Deion, and of course, the Kentucky-favorite, Warren Bryant. I'm not sure what sense these picks were at the time though.

Everybody will expect them to go QB to find Ryan's eventual replacement, and then they will take Micah Parsons. Just stay away from Sewell!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky grandpa
They literally have to play 3 good defenses twice a year every year. They better worry about that oline

Bengals media is definitely pushing the WR angle now.

Fk the sports media on this. I'm not a Bengals fan or part-time supporter like I used to be, but they just want stories. They don't gaf if the team is winning or losing. They just want the glamour picks.

Get some fkn linemen to protect that QB. Learn from the Browns fkups when they had Couch. Do that and things will start to sort themselves out over the next 2 years

Reactions: RV2 and Ky grandpa
Dickerson is an OT moved to C to feel a need. He can play every position on the line. There was a lot of talk that he would move back this year after willis left. He will most likely be gone at the end of the 1st round anyway. My point was they could get as good of a OT at the start of 2nd rd than could at 5 if Sewell is gone. There is not much separating say 2-6 and none of them are sure fire 1st rd picks. Someone said Slater but most project him as a guard.

I don't understand how you can seemingly downplay Slater because some project him as a guard, but simultaneously support the idea of Dickerson as an OT? Nobody credible projects Dickerson as an OT in the NFL. Every scouting report on him knocks him for athleticism. He has only played interior line everywhere he has been to compensate for his lack thereof.

You won't be putting a below average athlete with an injury history at the tackle spot in the NFL. But hey, it is the Bengals. Incompetence historically reigns supreme.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
Michael Vick, Matt Ryan, and Julio Jones were probably the 2-3. Calvin Ridley looks like a nice one, though. EDIT: Looked back on their picks. Can't forget Deion, and of course, the Kentucky-favorite, Warren Bryant. I'm not sure what sense these picks were at the time though.

Everybody will expect them to go QB to find Ryan's eventual replacement, and then they will take Micah Parsons. Just stay away from Sewell!

Vick is a could have guy. Deion was great, Risley is solid, but a 1st rounder? Julio has had a long and productive career. The first pick, Tommy Nobis, rivaled Butkus and Nitchke as the best LB in the league. Nobis play behind a DL that could be blocked 3 on 4. Steve Bartkcoski(sp) was very good in his day. But some of the other were Johnny Football bad.

I don't understand how you can seemingly downplay Slater because some project him as a guard, but simultaneously support the idea of Dickerson as an OT? Nobody credible projects Dickerson as an OT in the NFL. Every scouting report on him knocks him for athleticism. He has only played interior line everywhere he has been to compensate for his lack thereof.

You won't be putting a below average athlete with an injury history at the tackle spot in the NFL. But hey, it is the Bengals. Incompetence historically reigns supreme.
Agree completely

Bengals gonna Bengal. They'll take the TE or WR.

Burrow laying prone on the ground - again.
Not if they sign a tackle in FA. Bengals will have 3 new starting lineman next year. New dey in Bengaldom.

^If the Patriots don't franchise him, then Joe Thuney makes a lot of sense for the Bengals to slide into the interior line. He grew up outside of Cincinnati, so it would be a homecoming for him.

Bengals gonna Bengal. They'll take the TE or WR.

Burrow laying prone on the ground - again.

IF they were to bring in the right FA’s I would be okay with them trading down and selecting Pitts. That guy will be an absolute nightmare for defenses. Plus it would make up for the inexcusable TE selections they have made in years past (me thinks).

But when you have a QB as young and as promising as Burrow you absolutely have to invest in OL if you’re not going to spend on top notch FA’s. But Pitts is going to be a weapon wherever he winds up.

EDIT: But Pitts is a funny way to start a sentence 😜

^If the Patriots don't franchise him, then Joe Thuney makes a lot of sense for the Bengals to slide into the interior line. He grew up outside of Cincinnati, so it would be a homecoming for him.

Yeah. Go ahead and sign him up. The Patriots have $25M more in cap space than the Bengals and if they let Thuney walk, what's that tell you? Would whack about $15M a year off that nice cap space the Bengals currently have.

Joe Thuney
Market Value
  • 5 yrs, $76,842,460
  • Avg. Salary: $15,368,492

IF they were to bring in the right FA’s I would be okay with them trading down and selecting Pitts. That guy will be an absolute nightmare for defenses. Plus it would make up for the inexcusable TE selections they have made in years past (me thinks).

But when you have a QB as young and as promising as Burrow you absolutely have to invest in OL if you’re not going to spend on top notch FA’s. But Pitts is going to be a weapon wherever he winds up.

EDIT: But Pitts is a funny way to start a sentence 😜

Can't trade down far. Pitts should go top 10 almost certainly. The only reason he won't go top 5 is most of the top 5 picks will be QBs.

You are onto something. If the Bengals had a legit GM, they would trade down a half dozen spots, get an extra high pick or two and still draft the O-lineman - but they won't. They go for the sizzle and not the steak on way too many occasions.

Reactions: hamidousvertical
Can't trade down far. Pitts should go top 10 almost certainly. The only reason he won't go top 5 is most of the top 5 picks will be QBs.

You are onto something. If the Bengals had a legit GM, they would trade down a half dozen spots, get an extra high pick or two and still draft the O-lineman - but they won't. They go for the sizzle and not the steak on way too many occasions.

With their luck, it would be another Ogbuehi and Fisher draft by trading down.

I wouldn't dismiss that if Sewell wasn't available, but if he is, then I think I would be upset. They are in position to take another really good lineman in the second round too.

If the Bengals walk out of this draft with Penei Sewell and one of top interior linemen in the second round, then I think I will be very happy. If they are also able to add Drake Jackson or Landon Young even later on, then I would think I was dreaming for the Bengals doing something that didn't drive me nuts.

Reactions: jameslee32
With their luck, it would be another Ogbuehi and Fisher draft by trading down.

I wouldn't dismiss that if Sewell wasn't available, but if he is, then I think I would be upset. They are in position to take another really good lineman in the second round too.

If the Bengals walk out of this draft with Penei Sewell and one of top interior linemen in the second round, then I think I will be very happy. If they are also able to add Drake Jackson or Landon Young even later on, then I would think I was dreaming for the Bengals doing something that didn't drive me nuts.
I think their draft will depend on what they do in FA. If they get good OL in FA their draft could be very interesting. Sewell has all the measurables, Pitts is a freak, Chase is a freak. They need someone to pressure the QB as well.
Hoping they do as well in this one as they did the last one.

There are going to be tons of quality free agents in a few weeks because of all the teams over or near the cap limit. The Bengals are 5th in cap space available so they should be able to address some of their needs before the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cawood86
If you needed any re-assurance that the Dolphins do not plan on drafting Sewell, then the Isaiah Wilson trade should help. Robert Hunt (2nd round pick from 2020) was already slated at RT on the depth chart. Wilson either 1) fails in Miami and never plays, 2) adds depth to the line, or 3) becomes the starting tackle while Hunt can move inside. No matter what scenario occurs, they wouldn't make this trade if they forecasted no path for Wilson to play behind Sewell/Jackson and the solid interior linemen that they already have. With offensive playmaker as the most glaring need, DeVonta Smith and Ja'Marr Chase are both sitting right there at #3.

Last edited:
Reactions: hamidousvertical
The Patriots did not tag Joe Thuney. The ball is in the Bengals' court now. Cincinnati-area guy and a massive need for the franchise.

Reactions: WildcatDJ
Carl Lawson, signed by the Jets. There must be other NFL pass rushers in the Top 5 for QB pressures somewhere right?

The Bengals are who they are.....it's why they are the way they are. All they ever do is talk about next year.
Letting Lawson go and likely Jackson only weakens one of the worse defenses in the NFL with no equal or better repalcements being signed.
No OL signed so far. Just another day at the office for the them.

Reactions: jameslee32
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT