ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn Alabama goaltending overturned and ball returned to Auburn

HenryMuto

All-American
Mar 31, 2012
Geneva, Ohio
So did anyone catch the goal tending call in the Auburn game where Alabama blocked an Auburn shot with 2:16 left in the 1st half ? They stopped the game right then and there to review it they didn't wait for some media timeout like how we got screwed in the A&M game. Also Auburn got the clear rebound after the block in the exact same fashion we did.
So they over turned the goal tend but they gave the ball to Auburn on the baseline with 25 on the shot clock.

So how in the heck did we get the super screw job when the exact I mean exact same thing happened to us in exact same way where we got the instant rebound like they did but in our game when we were in the late 2nd half they did not stop to review it then while here in the 1st half they stop the game to review it ?

If you want to see it for yourself go to ESPN replays and go to the 47 min mark and start watching.

I am shocked if no one else said anything but maybe I missed it but this is unbelievable to me that we got that kind of screw job while in this game they did it how it should be done.

I know they mentioned it was a newer rule into effect to speed up the pace of play and have fewer reviews during actual play. Funny though, aside from our game, I’ve never seen that before then or since then. A play like that is very rare and not the type of play you would wait to review. No idea if that changes outcome of A&M game but it sure didn’t help.

Reactions: crestcat
So did anyone catch the goal tending call in the Auburn game where Alabama blocked an Auburn shot with 2:16 left in the 1st half ? They stopped the game right then and there to review it they didn't wait for some media timeout like how we got screwed in the A&M game. Also Auburn got the clear rebound after the block in the exact same fashion we did.
So they over turned the goal tend but they gave the ball to Auburn on the baseline with 25 on the shot clock.

So how in the heck did we get the super screw job when the exact I mean exact same thing happened to us in exact same way where we got the instant rebound like they did but in our game when we were in the late 2nd half they did not stop to review it then while here in the 1st half they stop the game to review it ?

If you want to see it for yourself go to ESPN replays and go to the 47 min mark and start watching.

I am shocked if no one else said anything but maybe I missed it but this is unbelievable to me that we got that kind of screw job while in this game they did it how it should be done.
Cause it's the kentucky effect

I saw it. The difference was they reviewed it immediately.
They should have done that in our game, taking away the basket BUT giving us the ball especially since we had regained possession with the rebound.
Once they started play again there should be no going back and reversing, because the ruling affected who gets the ball. Going back and reversing a 3 to a 2 is different because either way who gets the ball doesn’t change.

It has something to do with the timing if I remember correctly.

I've seen the delayed call 2 other times this year watching random games and both times the announcers hated it. One was a Murray St or Austin Peay game I caught and the announcers even mentioned it hurting UK in an OT game. Announcer said it was something about more than 2 minutes. But with OP saying there was more than 2 minutes last night, maybe it was 3?

Officials just need to be consistent. Either we're playing bully ball, or we aren't. That's the problem here, teams and coaches don't know what sort of brand of basketball they can play.

Last night? Call everything. 60 fouls.
Kentucky road games? Hammer them!

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Officials just need to be consistent. Either we're playing bully ball, or we aren't. That's the problem here, teams and coaches don't know what sort of brand of basketball they can play.

Last night? Call everything. 60 fouls.
Kentucky road games? Hammer them!
Saw last nights score but didn’t watch game. 85 effing free throws is an embarrassment. Had to be a horrible game to watch.

The other problem here.. College basketball is really the only sport where fouls and penalties can remove the teams players, sometimes their best players. The NBA can do this as well, but there's an extra foul and it usually doesn't become an issue. But every other sport keeps their best players on the floor, because that's how the team was built and that's what fans want to see.

.. not college basketball though.. In 2011 when Kentucky played UNC, we lost 4 players due to fouls. That's absurd. Games are won and lost because bad officiating leads to one team having to keep a few players on the bench due to the rules and that's just silly to me. The penalty already gave the team free throws.

Louisville got screwed over on a goaltending call tonight

Sort of a catch 22. If the whistle wasn't blown at all, Syracuse wins via the put back.

So the whistle was blown and then UL got screwed via the replay. Well Syracuse got screwed in the first place by the non-foul call and the goaltending whistle that wasn't actually goaltending. So either way, they would've burned one team. I think they made the right choice given the circumstances.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
The other problem here.. College basketball is really the only sport where fouls and penalties can remove the teams players, sometimes their best players. The NBA can do this as well, but there's an extra foul and it usually doesn't become an issue. But every other sport keeps their best players on the floor, because that's how the team was built and that's what fans want to see.

.. not college basketball though.. In 2011 when Kentucky played UNC, we lost 4 players due to fouls. That's absurd. Games are won and lost because bad officiating leads to one team having to keep a few players on the bench due to the rules and that's just silly to me. The penalty already gave the team free throws.
This. If an official is biased or corrupt, it's waaaay to easy to affect the outcome of a game. I mean, they don't even have to call a phantom foul. It's like offensive holding in football. If you're looking to call something, you legit can and get away with it.

I know they mentioned it was a newer rule into effect to speed up the pace of play and have fewer reviews during actual play. Funny though, aside from our game, I’ve never seen that before then or since then. A play like that is very rare and not the type of play you would wait to review. No idea if that changes outcome of A&M game but it sure didn’t help.
It’s a dead ball tho. They 100% should review the the play when it happens.

It’s a dead ball tho. They 100% should review the the play when it happens.
Absolutely it is. Not another dead ball situation I can think of that they review later on. Only looking at a close perimeter shot to determine if it was a 2 or 3 is the only thing I have ever seen reviewed later and reversed if necessary. Big question what if it was indeed goal tending but missed in live action, can they go back to review and then award the team points? That will be next to happen to us!!!!!

Creighton also got screwed over tonight. The refs didn’t call that play a foul, and the game went to OT and providence won

I've watched it a few times and not sure I would have called the foul either. The Creighton player flew into the other player. I've seen similar plays lately at the end of the games and it wasn't called. It seems to be the trend to jump into the defense and get a foul for doing it. As I recall, the officials are watching this more carefully now. Am I missing something?

I know this a different thread but ticket prices in Ticketmaster for games are ridiculous right now. Their is somebody on their charging 900 dollars for1 ticket to the Gonzaga game
Resellers suck. I get if you can’t make a game and throw it up and maybe make a little profit, but 900 is absurd. I live in Denver, and so many shows will sell out in minutes, only to then see those tix on resell sites for triple or more the original price. And that doesn’t even include those damn fees.

I've watched it a few times and not sure I would have called the foul either. The Creighton player flew into the other player. I've seen similar plays lately at the end of the games and it wasn't called. It seems to be the trend to jump into the defense and get a foul for doing it. As I recall, the officials are watching this more carefully now. Am I missing something?
I ref in my free time, and I have Gone back & forth a lot, and the more I watch it, I would of probably called a foul, but I can now see the argument for not calling it

Reactions: saxonburgcat
It has something to do with the timing if I remember correctly.

I've seen the delayed call 2 other times this year watching random games and both times the announcers hated it. One was a Murray St or Austin Peay game I caught and the announcers even mentioned it hurting UK in an OT game. Announcer said it was something about more than 2 minutes. But with OP saying there was more than 2 minutes last night, maybe it was 3?
The game last night the goal tend was in the 1st half at 2:16 on the clock. You would think a game in the 2nd half without 7 mins left or whatever it was vs A&M would mean a lot more to take the time to look then to stop a game in the 1st half at all. The rule is idiotic they need to stop it and review at the point of the call every time.

Reactions: AGEE11
Didn't watch but saw the free throw numbers. Glad I didn't watch. Ridiculous. Then other games it's no blood no foul. Zero consistency. Is every single ref gambling?

Didn't watch but saw the free throw numbers. Glad I didn't watch. Ridiculous. Then other games it's no blood no foul. Zero consistency. Is every single ref gambling?
Free throws / fouls were a bit egregious, but it was actually a pretty entertaining game

Just happened again NW vs Penn State. NW shoots the ball gets it blocked they call goal tend with 3:07 left in the game. They stop the game and review it right then and there and then gave the ball back to NW (but they used to possession arrow) to give it back to them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT