ADVERTISEMENT

Are we out of the running for a Number One seed?

I am sure there is a detailed analysis of conference NET rankings somewhere. I didn't see one with a quick search and i was curious so I made a quick spreadsheet listing the NET rankings of a few conferences. Here is the middle school stats class summary:

SEC (14 teams): median=56, avg=65.6, range: 126 (22-148)
ACC (15 teams): median=78, avg=69.4, range: 137 (6-143)
WCC (10 teams): median=123, avg=123.8, range: 275 (3-278)
Big12 (10 teams): median=58, avg=49.3, range: 95 (2-97)
Ivy (8 teams): median=202.5, avg=194.4, range: 261 (58-319)

Not making a big point or anything but it is interesting that the SEC has the highest median and average NETs and the second-lowest range (difference between highest and lowest). The Big 12 has 4 schools with higher nets than UKs which is the highest in the SEC. I guess this supports that the SEC is pretty solid and some of the others are a little top heavy. Stop the presses, right?...okay lunch is over.

Don't know what we'd get a post season ban for.

Top 5 Line-up for next year:

1 - Garrett/Harris
2 - Bryce Thompson /Christian Braun
3 - Tyon Grant-Foster #1/#2 Juco
4 - Jalen Wilson/Tristan Enaruna
5 - McCormack/Lightfoot/Muscadin

Good luck with that trash roster. We’ll have what’s shaping up to be our best recruiting class EVER to go along with some very good returning players. We’re going to be stacked.

No chance for a 1..we f'd that up with the Utah and Evansville losses
just Evansville...
Utah was a neutral site and they ranked 80th now...so they are, at worst, just a quad two loss
We have ONE, bad loss. Yes, it is in quad four; but we have ZERO quad three loses (iirc)

my top ten, as of right now, stands as :

1 - Baylor
2 - Gonzaga
3 - SDSU
4 - Kansas
5 - Dayton
6 - Maryland
7 - Duke
8 - FSU
9 - Kentucky
10 - Louisville

To me, it looks like we're already at the top of the 3 line already. There's room to move up, too. Win out, we'll be a #2 seed.

I'm not convinced Kansas would even necessarily stay as a #1 seed, nor SDSU or even the Zags'. It's far more likely they will end up as the #1 seeds, but there's still room for some positioning.

it could still be a brutal road, no matter what, but I like our chances. We control our own destiny, that's all you can ask this late in the season.

Go Big Blue!

PS - I had a crazy (!??!!) thought the NCAA would put us in the midwest region (indy) with #1 Kansas, #2 Dayton, #3 UK.... good lord.... it could be stacked high and be a the deadliest regional by far.... but I'm trying to stay positive here .... [winking]

I think seeding this year is going to be less of an issue because our team as well as most others can be great one day and so-so the next. I do anticipate no matter how Duke performs they are going to get to play in the East and have a team like SDSU or Maryland/Dayton as their 1 seed. We likely will be a 3 or 4 with Kansas as the 1 and FSU/UL as the 2. The NCAA wants Duke as always to be in there. Does a national audience care that much about Baylor and the Zags will be out West anyway.

#2 is very doable now. I don't care about a 1 seed that much. We've gotten that before and still not treated like we're a 1.
i don't think we get above a 4 seed...we should be a 3 or a 2. I just don't see it happening

29-5 and probably a stumble somewhere during the SEC tournament, which I'm fine with because I think this team would benefit from another reminder of the frustration from defeat just before the NCAAT. Let's say our boys end up 30-6 before Selection Sunday. That's deserving a 2-3 seed depending on what the rest of the college basketball world has done up to that point. Add in the f*ckery that happens to us/Cal by the committee and I would bet we end up as a 4 seed, despite finishing the regular season ranked in the Top 10.

Yes, but UK shouldn;'t be, but Evansville is an anchor the committee will use to justify UK's lower seeding and region.
If UK were to win out and win the SECT they should no less than a #2 seed, possibly a #1 seed. SDSU, Gonzage are locks for a #1 seed. No real threats to play. Baylor or KU will be the other #1 seed. The last one is up for grabs imo, but the committee will use Evansville at UK like a grenade.
UofL could get the other #1 seed if they win out and win the ACCT, bad it is to say.

Forgot Dayton, they will likely be the other #1.

I loved how when we lost to Evansville all we heard was how terrible of a loss it was. We still hear it.

Duke lost to SFA at home, all we heard was SFA is a good team and it doesn’t matter. Not a super bad loss.

run over and look at SFA today. Don’t look at stupid computer rankings, look at their schedule.

It’s turning into wrestling thanks to media bias and computers.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
i don't think we get above a 4 seed...we should be a 3 or a 2. I just don't see it happening
[roll][roll][roll] I suspect you are using the same tactic we used last night when Duke was playing but to mention said tactic is to make it lose its power so I won't but even today UK is above a 4 seed. We would have to lose 2 more games to be in the 4 seed contention. We are easily higher then that as long as we don't lose 2 more games.

I think we might have an outside chance, but we would have to run the table, and I don't think that happens. However, I am sick of hearing about Evansville. It was only our 3rd game, and I don't hear anyone talking about how bad a loss that Stephen F Austin was for Duke.
well maybe if evansille was 23-3 we would not here so much bout it

well maybe if evansille was 23-3 we would not here so much bout it

That's so, but how many times have you heard about Duke and Stephen F Austin? Certainly hasn't been a hindrance to their projected #2 seed. And at 23-3 they have lost at home, to Central Arkansas, by 15, and that national power, Texas A&M Corpus Christi. Their wins, besides Duke, have been against teams like Abilene Christian and Nichols St.

Last edited:
Reactions: BourbonBalz
29-5 and probably a stumble somewhere during the SEC tournament, which I'm fine with because I think this team would benefit from another reminder of the frustration from defeat just before the NCAAT. Let's say our boys end up 30-6 before Selection Sunday. That's deserving a 2-3 seed depending on what the rest of the college basketball world has done up to that point. Add in the f*ckery that happens to us/Cal by the committee and I would bet we end up as a 4 seed, despite finishing the regular season ranked in the Top 10.

You really need to go back and check your numbers. 29-5 would mean we win out and win the SEC Tournament. 34 games is the max we will play and that’s assuming we play in the SEC title game. It’s impossible for us to be 30-6 going into the NCAA Tournament.

[roll][roll][roll] I suspect you are using the same tactic we used last night when Duke was playing but to mention said tactic is to make it lose its power so I won't but even today UK is above a 4 seed. We would have to lose 2 more games to be in the 4 seed contention. We are easily higher then that as long as we don't lose 2 more games.
we are deserving...I just don't think it will happen

Actually I didn’t, BUT, we have as good of a chance of winning the title this year as anyone. I do hope we play the Chickenhawks.

I agree that Kentucky is one of the teams with a legitimate chance at a title this year. Hopefully, we meet in the tournament. Would be nice to win our 6th title meeting all contenders on the way. :)

You really need to go back and check your numbers. 29-5 would mean we win out and win the SEC Tournament. 34 games is the max we will play and that’s assuming we play in the SEC title game. It’s impossible for us to be 30-6 going into the NCAA Tournament.

You're right. 26-5 going into SEC tourney. Congrats, my friend You've made your contribution to society today by correcting me on this message board!!!

giphy.gif

I don’t think so. I think 29-5 with SEC regular season and tournament championships is very possible now. I believe that would get it as long as Dayton loses again at some point.
If Kentucky wins out they deserve a number 1 seed but even if they go without a loss I don’t believe they will get it.

Reactions: gojvc and *CatinIL*
I would say so. Kansas and or Baylor would have to completely collapse over the last 2 weeks.

IMO, it's all about match-ups this year and not so much about seeding. Tons of beatable teams among the top 4 seeds.

If Kentucky wins out they deserve a number 1 seed but even if they go without a loss I don’t believe they will get it.
I haven't read all the responses but I agree with this one^^^. Unfortunately, the CATS can win out and still get a 3-4 seed in the NCAAT...just because.

I don’t think so. I think 29-5 with SEC regular season and tournament championships is very possible now. I believe that would get it as long as Dayton loses again at some point.
I think we are. Of the top 5 if you look at Dayton, SDSU, and Gonzaga I think all 3 will win out including their tournaments. KU and Baylor play again, but if it’s a close game the loser stays in the top 5 IMO, Maybe if KU loses that game, and again in the tournament they would lose their #1 seed, but a 5th ranked two loss Dayton would probably get it. It’s going to be difficult for anyone to push into that top 5 at this point. I think a 2 is our ceiling barring unexpected losses by the top 5.

Reactions: BourbonBalz
I think we are. Of the top 5 if you look at Dayton, SDSU, and Gonzaga I think all 3 will win out including their tournaments. KU and Baylor play again, but if it’s a close game the loser stays in the top 5 IMO, Maybe if KU loses that game, and again in the tournament they would lose their #1 seed, but a 5th ranked two loss Dayton would probably get it. It’s going to be difficult for anyone to push into that top 5 at this point. I think a 2 is our ceiling barring unexpected losses by the top 5.
Like I said, I agree Dayton has to lose. That’s the X factor. Baylor is going beat Kansas two more times and somebody else unexpected will too. And then we slide right in. Easy pleezy.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Don't look now.. Kentucky is now 7th at the moment. Since last posted, Gonzaga, SDSU, Baylor and Duke have lost.

We need other teams to lose, but a #1 seed is still in play. SDSU now has no room for error, Dayton either.

Not out of it yet..

Don't look now.. Kentucky is now 7th at the moment. Since last posted, Gonzaga, SDSU, Baylor and Duke have lost.

We need other teams to lose, but a #1 seed is still in play. SDSU now has no room for error, Dayton either.

Not out of it yet..
Yea, unfortunately we won't get a 1 seed regardless of what happens, but we should definitely be able to get a 2. Which is fine by me.

Can 29-5 get us there?

Must have some help even if we win out. Need SDSU, Dayton, Maryland and FSU to lose one more and KU or Baylor to lose 2 more.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
How we going to be a #1 seed when we can't even get to a #3 seed according to the bracket people ?

A lot of people don't buy that. Lunardi and Palm almost always have us back a line. And the latest bacteriology doesn't factor our win or Duke's loss.

Reactions: catben
Can 29-5 get us there?

Must have some help even if we win out. Need SDSU, Dayton, Maryland and FSU to lose one more and KU or Baylor to lose 2 more.
Nope need to much help BUT with Duke losing tonight it makes the 2 seed a mortal lock if we win out . Duke was the team standing in our way a smidge of the 2 seed as there was 1 open spot after you count FSU ,DUKE and Dayton as 2 seeds. Now with that loss if Duke loses again they are done as a 2 seed. And they will lose 1 more game for sure IMO . I think FSU might win out and win the ACC T. So as long as Duke drops 1 more then are 2 open 2 seed spots . IMO we would of gotten it if there just 1 but if there are 2 we are for sure getting it as the big east teams are still going to feast on each other.

Reactions: Cats192
Losing to Evansville and the best team outside UK in the sec being ranked 15 gives us zero chance at a 1 seed. Btw the number 15 team is the only top 25 team in the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT