ADVERTISEMENT

All-Time NBA Draft Winner GoBigBlueFanGA

Not something I did on purpose, and it didn't stop a couple of these guys from winning on the biggest stage at the college level, but I just now noticed that five out of my 7 players picked all went to non-major programs.

Steve Nash - Santa Clara
Clyde Frazier - Southern Illinois
Joe Dumars - McNeese State
Sam Jones - North Carolina Central
John Havlicek - Ohio State
Bill Russell - San Francisco
Hakeem Olajuwon - Houston

I say five since Houston played in the Southwest Conference while Hakeem was there, which was a major conference at the time with some programs including Texas, Arkansas, SMU, Houston and Texas A&M.

Mount Mutombo was a great pick right after me. Definitely gave him strong consideration, and it hurt a bit to let him go, but I made a list of players not too long ago and thought I could find another one of those 3rd/4th tier big guys that I'd be happy with in the final three rounds. We'll see if I'm right about that since I've spent my last six rounds largely focused on the perimeter/wing spots (defense and outside shooting) as well as obtaining already built in chemistry/camaraderie around Bill Russell with a couple of his former teammates and long time coach. And of course, obtaining more guys that won titles and were great in playoff settings.

Reactions: DraftCat
Almost did it in 1996 anyway. If not for that UMass loss we probably would’ve. If Epps is at the PG slot for that game, we win. We all know Pitino threw the game against Mississippi State in the SECT final.

Man, I forgot how damn awesome Epps was that season. Going into that FF, he had a 9-1 assist to TO ratio, 27 assists to 3 TOs. That’s incredible!
So, J.C. knocked us out of going 40-0 in 1996 and 2015.

I need a banger with a motor & few are as accomplished as this guy. He went toe to toe with Kareem & Wilt & was at his best in the biggest games, winning Finals MVP twice. He’s also the first player to win the All-Star Game MVP, the regular season MVP & the Finals MVP in the same season. He was also ROY, All-NBA 5 times & made All-Defense once but he played in an era loaded with all time great big men. I’ll take “The Captain”, Willis Reed. @Cowtown Cat OTC

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
^
Nice job with Willis. Walt Frazier was the star of that Game 7 of the 1970 Finals, but Willis coming out and scoring a couple buckets at the start of the game gave them a big extra lift. While it wasn't on the level of the Jordan flu game, it cemented his place as one of the toughest players in league history. Not many could have done the same.

Give me Pat Riley right now as my head coach. Five titles with two different franchises. Also President of the Miami Heat. Wasn’t too shabby as a player, either, where he won a title. Also won a title as an assistant coach. He’s also a Kentucky legend. Can’t believe he’s still on the board.
I just love when the 2 coaches i considered picking go right before me.

• Haha
Give me Pat Riley right now as my head coach. Five titles with two different franchises. Also President of the Miami Heat. Wasn’t too shabby as a player, either, where he won a title. Also won a title as an assistant coach. He’s also a Kentucky legend. Can’t believe he’s still on the board.

And there it is. Riles was either 2 or 2A on my list along with Phil for my head coach spot, obviously after Auerbach.

Penny Hardaway

I often wonder how highly thought of Penny would be as a player had he been able to stay healthy for his career. And I still lament a bit that he and Shaq didn't stay together in Orlando. They were kind of the original Shaq/Kobe before the Shaq/Kobe duo existed.

Pat Riley is an older school mother ****ing pimp!

Sure is. As a coach, player and exec. Maybe I should have even had him at 2 slightly ahead of Phil if for no other reason than he's a UK guy.

Give me HOF coach Chuck Daly who won 2 Championships and coached the Dream Team.

I’ll also have HOF David Thompson who averages as high as 27 points one year and was one of the best scorer’s the game has seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT