ADVERTISEMENT

All-Time NBA Draft Winner GoBigBlueFanGA

I often wonder how highly thought of Penny would be as a player had he been able to stay healthy for his career. And I still lament a bit that he and Shaq didn't stay together in Orlando. They were kind of the original Shaq/Kobe before the Shaq/Kobe duo existed.

Sure is. As a coach, player and exec. Maybe I should have even had him at 2 slightly ahead of Phil if for no other reason than he's a UK guy.
It was supposed to be “old school”, not “older school”, obviously! 🤣

Give me HOF coach Chuck Daly who won 2 Championships and coached the Dream Team.

I’ll also have HOF David Thompson who averages as high as 27 points one year and was one of the best scorer’s the game has seen.
Man, I was hoping Daly was gonna slip through the cracks.

Give me HOF coach Chuck Daly who won 2 Championships and coached the Dream Team.
I’ll also have HOF David Thompson who averages as high as 27 points one year and was one of the best scorer’s the game has seen.

David Thompson would be much more highly thought of on all-time lists if not for injuries and cocaine addiction. Jordan gushes about Thompson being one of his favorite players.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Gonna take my backup defensive center. Give me Ben Wallace. Defensive juggernaut.

Solid. I had Ben on my short list, but may have passed on him if he made it back to me just because IDK if I'd have wanted both him and Russell on the floor together at the end of close games if need be since he makes Shaq and Russell look close to Steve Nash-esque at the foul line.

I can’t stand this guy but he checks pretty much every box that I need in a wing at this point. I think he has a better than 50% chance at making the HOF when he’s done, too. I’ll take Jimmy Butler. @YaySports OTC
I love Jimmy. He’s such a hard worker and has gone through nothing but doubt and hardship in his life and led a young Heat team to the finals. Easily my favorite player in the NBA.

I’ll take one of the best players on the planet for a 3 year stretch from 2010-2012, Derrick Rose. I have a guy in mind for my next pick. I’m curious if he’ll be around next round. @GoBigBlue712 don’t take him!

The only thing that prevented this guy from being an all-time top 5 big man is that he was 31 in his rookie season. I'll take Arvydas Sabonis. @drcats2013 on the clock.

Injuries as well. You could tell in his last years in Portland in particular that injuries took a toll on him. I was wondering if someone would take Arvydas. As you mentioned, had he been in the NBA in his prime and been able to stay healthy, he'd be much more highly thought of as an NBA player. He was a beast overseas.

Give me a coach that has won championships at both levels, and would have many more titles if he had had more talented rosters. He coached the only team that has ever won an NBA title without a superstar player, (that I can recall at least) so I can only imagine his impact on a team full of them. Give me coach Larry Brown. @RunninRichie OTC
Yeah, that team was just loaded with guys about 1mm below superstar status.

Larry Brown

One of the few who could be successful coaching both in the NBA and in college. That's not always an easy transition. I feel dumb for nearly forgetting that he was the coach of that Pistons team in the mid-2000s team that won it all. They really defined the word 'team' that year. Maybe no true standout on that team (maybe Ben Wallace being Dennis Rodman-esque qualifies), but they just had a number of very good players who knew what their role was, accepted it and the team was extremely successful because of it.

If only they'd drafted better in 2003 and taken Wade, Melo or Bosh over Darko. They may have won a lot more than they did.

Erik Spoelstra

Excellent recovery. Some weren't sold on him at first succeeding Riley since he had the LeBron/D-Wade/Bosh trio to help him be so successful, but he did an excellent job getting the Heat to the Finals last season with a team many would say wasn't exactly loaded, even though everyone on this forum will definitely take up for a couple young UK guys on the team.

Someone, anyone, take him! 😆
ill_kill_you_office.gif

One of the few who could be successful coaching both in the NBA and in college. That's not always an easy transition. I feel dumb for nearly forgetting that he was the coach of that Pistons team in the mid-2000s team that won it all. They really defined the word 'team' that year. Maybe no true standout on that team (maybe Ben Wallace being Dennis Rodman-esque qualifies), but they just had a number of very good players who knew what their role was, accepted it and the team was extremely successful because of it.

If only they'd drafted better in 2003 and taken Wade, Melo or Bosh over Darko. They may have won a lot more than they did.
Forgot about that draft selection. Man, what an awful decision. Literally, franchise altering.

Forgot about that draft selection. Man, what an awful decision. Literally, franchise altering.

Darko is to the 2003 NBA Draft what Tony Mandarich was to the 1989 NFL Draft. Obviously before Detroit took Darko, the Cavs took LeBron. Mandarich was taken #2 overall by the Packers in the 89 NFL Draft. Troy Aikman went #1 to Dallas, Barry Sanders 3rd to the Lions, Derrick Thomas 4th to KC and Deion to the Dirty Birds at 5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT