ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Coaching Vacancy

Originally posted by knotonalog:
I fail to see why there is so much negative criticism of Tom Crean. He took his Marquette team to NCAA tourney 5 of 9 years, more than previous coaches in 16 years He is known as an excellent recruiter. He has been honored as coach of the year in USA conference, Big 10 and by the Sporting News

He has had 6 assistants become head coaches.. .His coaching record includes a final four and
2 sweet 16 appearances. He also turned the Indiana program around which had deteriorated with cheating scandal

I'm not an Indiana fan , but Crean deserves better.in my opinion. He has run a clean program which is a rarity any more.
If you're not a iu fan you must be a relative.

If I were an Alabama fan, my choice would be either Richard Pitino, Kenny Payne or Prohm, Murray State coach

This post was edited on 3/18 8:39 PM by knotonalog
Please Richard Pitino!!!

Originally posted by W_Heisenberg:
Don - no one is saying Cal is not satisfied, but he's said time and time again that no one can stay in this spot for more than 10 years, it's a grueling process...he's here 5 more years at the very most.

Either accept that, or leave your head in the sand and think he's going to coach here until he's 80.
If you believe everything that Cal said is the truth then I have some land on Mars to sale you. When you get paid the amount of money he's making it brings on short term memory real fast. Being treated like a King in the bluegrass state will make 10 years come by like the Indy 500. Once 10 years stares him in the face he will just sign on to another 5-10 years. Why because he can and will continue to add wins to his marvelous coaching career.

Originally posted by GermantownDawg:
Originally posted by FiveStarCat:
I'll have to see it to believe it but if they brought in Marshall or Smart, the SEC could conceivably become the top league in the country during certain years. I think the perception of the SEC is on the uptick from this year alone. And that is without Florida in the tournament, Bruce Pearl just beginning his era at Auburn that is sure to bring consistent tournament success, and with great recruiting classes coming in for A&M and LSU.

Next year it would not be out of the question to see Kentucky, Florida, LSU, A&M, Arkansas, and Auburn consistently in the top 25. Throw in Vandy's returning team and a homerun hire from Alabama makes the SEC look super tough.
We won't completely fall of the map...

Sorry, you're right. It got to the point where my post felt like it was listing every team in the SEC so I stopped. But Georgia isn't going anywhere with Fox as coach. Should be one of the best seasons we've seen from the SEC in a long time.

Originally posted by Cefiro:
Rick Barnes has taken his name out of consideration for the Alabama job.
Well, if they flop in the 1st round again he might put it in there........lol
There was a little talk of cutting him at UT, he's done the least with the most talent than any coach I know of.

Originally posted by O'boro Cat:
I fail to see why there is so much negative criticism of Tom Crean. He took his Marquette team to NCAA tourney 5 of 9 years, more than previous coaches in 16 years He is known as an excellent recruiter. He has been honored as coach of the year in USA conference, Big 10 and by the Sporting News

He has had 6 assistants become head coaches.. .His coaching record includes a final four and
2 sweet 16 appearances. He also turned the Indiana program around which had deteriorated with cheating scandal

I'm not an Indiana fan , but Crean deserves better.in my opinion. He has run a clean program which is a rarity any more.
Exactly! I agree 100%. I think Indiana should offer him a lifetime contract.
laugh.r191677.gif

Heisenberg. If we win the whole thing this year Cal is here for either 3 more titles or 10 years - whichever comes first. He said he wanted to pass UCLA in titles if he could. We got by $80 million last year and if he wins it all this year he can taste it. Just think, he would be considered the best coach of all time if he wins 5 titles. Yes I know Wooden won 10 - but look at the competition today versus the Wooden era. UCLA basically had a bye to the final four every year. Many years not even half the teams in the tourney today.

Go Big Blue!

People in Alabama don't really have a clue about hiring a basketball coach - look at who they have hired over the years. If they want a basketball coach, first thing they should do is hire Mike Pratt to consult and help with a search - I'm dead serious too!

Then Mike would make calls to Archie Miller, if that failed he should go to Shaka. One of those would take the job.

Marshall, if he leaves, it will be for a name power conference school. Stephens, if he returns to college - will be going to Duke.

Stansbury is the best name on the list they show that has a proven record.

I have mixed emotions about it, but if Archie goes to Bama and does well - we will probably be looking at UK's future.

Go Big Blue!

Guy from JOX radio in Birmingham tweeted this yesterday: https://twitter.com/RyanBrownWJOX/status/578372671257251840

Ryan Brown @RyanBrownWJOX

Take this however you wish: Had a former SEC head coach tell me the rumor in
coaching circles is Alabama will offer Gregg Marshall $3.5M.

Cecil Hurt (Alabama
reporter for Tuscaloosa News/Tidesports.com) said money will not be an
issue as well. Basically sounds like we're gonna make Gregg Marshall say
no.

This post was edited on 3/19 1:19 PM by acp_10

Doesn't really make any difference...since UAB beat ISU in the first round...they are now the predominant program in the atate, so the state board of regents (or whatever they are called) will just shut down UAB's program like they did football. Maybe then just transfer the UAB coach to Tuscaloosa.

The issue won't be making Gregg Marshall say no. The issue will be making Lynn Marshall say yes..

Originally posted by sosoblue:

Originally posted by W_Heisenberg:
Don - no one is saying Cal is not satisfied, but he's said time and time again that no one can stay in this spot for more than 10 years, it's a grueling process...he's here 5 more years at the very most.

Either accept that, or leave your head in the sand and think he's going to coach here until he's 80.
If you believe everything that Cal said is the truth then I have some land on Mars to sale you. When you get paid the amount of money he's making it brings on short term memory real fast. Being treated like a King in the bluegrass state will make 10 years come by like the Indy 500. Once 10 years stares him in the face he will just sign on to another 5-10 years. Why because he can and will continue to add wins to his marvelous coaching career.
I think Cal is serious. UK is an all consuming job. I think any Coach eventually reaches a point where they can't put in the effort all the time. Cal even said he wouldn't be Coaching into his 70's. So I think 5 more years is realistic. I look for someone within the program to take over to keep it going.

It's a bad job. Don't see how they expect to get a top tier coach. Doesn't matter who is their coach or their team, there will be more excitement about the Bama spring football game than any basketball game ever. Whoever is hired has to recruit against Calipari, Donovan, Pearl, Stallings, and Fox, and even UAB in their backyard.

I might of dreamed this, and since I dont even know who Murrays coach is, but didnt I hear, he played at Alabama? is why its being mentioned?

I honestly don't think it matters how much money Alabama has, as weird as that is to say. The politics of that state and that university won't let a basketball coach steal one ounce of the spotlight from the football team, and even though that seems impossible all it takes is Paul Bryant Jr. getting paranoid for a program to get torpedoed. Heck, look what happened to UAB football. Bryant pretty much singlehandedly shut down that program simply because they wanted to hire Jimbo as HC when Saban wanted him as a coordinator. I just don't think Alabama will ever be allowed to care about basketball until a significant shift happens with the powers there.

Secondly, I think the Alabama job is a scary one to coaches. It's an athletic department that doesn't understand basketball, and a fanbase that's absolutely insane and happens to be one of the most clueless in our conference when it comes to any sport besides football. They're good in other sports, but that fanbase would have to be a nightmare to interact with if you're a basketball coach. They want you to win championships on one hand, but on the other hand they don't want you doing anything that might take attention away from the "real" Alabama Crimson Tide (football).

Yeah you might get a nice pay raise, but you'll also become totally irrelevant. If you remember, Anthony Grant was a hot name when they hired him. Fast forward a few years, he's probably looking at being as assistant coach somewhere next year. No matter what you do there, you'll be swallowed up by Saban and nobody will know your name. The same reason Kentucky couldn't have hired Chris Peterson or Dabo Swinney regardless of what we offered them in football is the same reason Bama won't be able to hire Marshall or Smart. It's seen as a place that's impossible to succeed because of the bright light of another sport and the fanbase/administrations obsession with that other sport.

Alabama is going to have to raid the midmajors or hire an assistant unless they want to pay a basketball coach 2.5 million a year, and the Harvey Updykes and Paul Bryant Jr.s of this world won't allow that to happen.

I think they need to go after Prohm or see if they can get Seth Greenberg out of the ESPN studio. Greenberg won some at VT and they'd probably tell you now they made a mistake by firing him. I think he's a good coach that's proven he can win at a nontraditional power. If he can play his way onto the bubble in the ACC, I think he could experience exactly the kind of success Alabama will tolerate from basketball. Bubble team, make the tournament 50% of the time, once every four or five years squeak into a Sweet 16. Anything more and you're a distraction from football. All they need is somebody to entertain them til spring practice starts, and Greenberg could do that. Prohm has more upside, but I honestly don't know how good Alabama genuinely wants to be at basketball.

Sorry for the novel, I got on a rant and couldn't stop.

I hear Alabama has been proactive and already removed Rick Barnes' name from consideration....
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by kitkoodle:
I might of dreamed this, and since I dont even know who Murrays coach is, but didnt I hear, he played at Alabama? is why its being mentioned?
Prohm is a Bama grad, and learned under David Hobbs....how far does that take us back? 3 coaching hires ago?

Hobbs replaced Wimp Sanderson, who was the most successful Bama coach.

Hobbs did get talent to go to Bama, but didn't win with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT