ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Coaching Vacancy

rexcat

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 3, 2003
Hoover, AL
For what it's worth, I have a friend who is reasonably well connected to Alabama. He said that the athletics department netted $30M+ this year, mainly because of football of course, and they are ready to open the wallet for a basketball coaching upgrade. Their top target is Gregg Marshall with some interest in Shaka Smart. He also said that Tom Crean's name is coming up because Saban is connected to him--Crean was an assistant to Izzo when Saban was at Michigan St. and Saban is tight with the Harbaughs. But there is zero real interest in hiring him as a basketball coach. Most believe he got lucky with Wade/Novak at Marquette and isn't much of a coach. Finally he said that, personally, he wouldn't be able to stand watching Crean pull his pants up 50 times a game.

I'll have to see it to believe it but if they brought in Marshall or Smart, the SEC could conceivably become the top league in the country during certain years. I think the perception of the SEC is on the uptick from this year alone. And that is without Florida in the tournament, Bruce Pearl just beginning his era at Auburn that is sure to bring consistent tournament success, and with great recruiting classes coming in for A&M and LSU.

Next year it would not be out of the question to see Kentucky, Florida, LSU, A&M, Arkansas, and Auburn consistently in the top 25. Throw in Vandy's returning team and a homerun hire from Alabama makes the SEC look super tough.

I don't see Smart or Marshall taking the Bama job either. Both excellent choices, but Smart seems committed to VCU and Marshall might be tempted by a job bigger than Bama.

Clappy probably won't be available anyway. Hopefully, they get to the Sweet 16. And right after they cut down the nets, he'll be offered a 10-year contract extension with a massive buyout.

What about Ben Holland ? He has experience and did well at UCLA. Read somewhere he might be interested in Bama.

Originally posted by westerncat:

What about Ben Holland ? He has experience and did well at UCLA. Read somewhere he might be interested in Bama.
Ben H screwed up ucla and eventually could not recruit Ca. Ca. high school and aau coaches did not care for BH. Arizona took over. Who could he get to come to Bama? Why would anyone want to play his style of Ball? He would be better at DePaul or some big east school than in the sec. GBB

Alabama is not getting any of the above mentioned names with the exception of Crean.... that being said, I believe someone like Murray States coach. Now if Alabama wanted to do something to really get under Auburns skin that should look at Western Kentucky's coach, Ray Harper. Harper and Pearl absolutely hate one another. Alabama wouldn't be any better than they are now but it sure would be entertaining for the rest of college basketball when these two teams played.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Demondog:
Alabama is not getting any of the above mentioned names with the exception of Crean.... that being said, I believe someone like Murray States coach. Now if Alabama wanted to do something to really get under Auburns skin that should look at Western Kentucky's coach, Ray Harper. Harper and Pearl absolutely hate one another. Alabama wouldn't be any better than they are now but it sure would be entertaining for the rest of college basketball when these two teams played.
ah yes the good ol KWC USI days. the memories...

I think Mike White would be a good choice for Bama. He's young, has ties to the south and he's done a really good job at La. Tech. He will be getting a lot of interest from bigger programs and might be willing to listen to an offer from Bama.

Originally posted by rexcat:
Prohm (Murray State) makes sense. He was a student assistant and manager at Alabama. The man can coach.
I could see Prohm going too Bama. I think he would be a good hire for them as he has done well at Murray.

For what it's worth, I have a friend who is reasonably well connected to Alabama. He said that the athletics department netted $30M+ this year, mainly because of football of course, and they are ready to open the wallet for a basketball coaching upgrade. Their top target is Gregg Marshall with some interest in Shaka Smart. He also said that Tom Crean's name is coming up because Saban is connected to him--Crean was an assistant to Izzo when Saban was at Michigan St. and Saban is tight with the Harbaughs. But there is zero real interest in hiring him as a basketball coach. Most believe he got lucky with Wade/Novak at Marquette and isn't much of a coach. Finally he said that, personally, he wouldn't be able to stand watching Crean pull his pants up 50 times a game.
Thank you for bringing some reason to this debate

Originally posted by FiveStarCat:
I'll have to see it to believe it but if they brought in Marshall or Smart, the SEC could conceivably become the top league in the country during certain years. I think the perception of the SEC is on the uptick from this year alone. And that is without Florida in the tournament, Bruce Pearl just beginning his era at Auburn that is sure to bring consistent tournament success, and with great recruiting classes coming in for A&M and LSU.

Next year it would not be out of the question to see Kentucky, Florida, LSU, A&M, Arkansas, and Auburn consistently in the top 25. Throw in Vandy's returning team and a homerun hire from Alabama makes the SEC look super tough.
We won't completely fall of the map...

why not the dude who was coaching last night? Bama looked more impressive than I'd seen them in a long while

Originally posted by GermantownDawg:

Yeah UGA should be in that mix. Fox doing a pretty good job at a bigtime Football program. I can see UGA staying solid as long as Fox is their head man.

I'm just pissed Alabama didn't let Saban coach the NIT. Look at all the pub they would have gotten 😜

I don't see Smart or Marshall taking it; especially Marshall.

Just hope they make a great hire. Would love for them to get back to the success under Wimp.

I fail to see why there is so much negative criticism of Tom Crean. He took his Marquette team to NCAA tourney 5 of 9 years, more than previous coaches in 16 years He is known as an excellent recruiter. He has been honored as coach of the year in USA conference, Big 10 and by the Sporting News

He has had 6 assistants become head coaches.. .His coaching record includes a final four and
2 sweet 16 appearances. He also turned the Indiana program around which had deteriorated with cheating scandal

I'm not an Indiana fan , but Crean deserves better.in my opinion. He has run a clean program which is a rarity any more.

They can offer whatever they want, those guys aren't going to Alabama.

Both make really good money and have established success. There are going to be elite jobs opening up in the next 2-5 years...they will wait it out.

Think about it:

Syracuse - Jimmy B says he's gone in 3 years
Duke - Coach K is a lot older than people think, will definitely retire within 5 years
UK - No way Cal is here more than 5 years...probably 2-3
UL - Pitino will retire within a couple years
IU - who knows how long Crean will last there

Originally posted by knotonalog:
I fail to see why there is so much negative criticism of Tom Crean. He took his Marquette team to NCAA tourney 5 of 9 years, more than previous coaches in 16 years He is known as an excellent recruiter. He has been honored as coach of the year in USA conference, Big 10 and by the Sporting News

He has had 6 assistants become head coaches.. .His coaching record includes a final four and
2 sweet 16 appearances. He also turned the Indiana program around which had deteriorated with cheating scandal

I'm not an Indiana fan , but Crean deserves better.in my opinion. He has run a clean program which is a rarity any more.
This is sarcasm right?

Originally posted by Demondog:
Damn!! Nice call on this. I'm for this hire now!! Would definitely make the SEC interesting

I wonder if Cal would have any interest in the position. Imagine having Calipari and Saban at the same program.

If John Brannen has a strong NIT showing, its going to be hard not to give him the job.

To me, its his job to lose....just win and you are probably in.

Originally posted by reignof cats:
Originally posted by westerncat:

Ben H screwed up ucla and eventually could not recruit Ca. Ca. high school and aau coaches did not care for BH. Arizona took over. Who could he get to come to Bama? Why would anyone want to play his style of Ball? He would be better at DePaul or some big east school than in the sec. GBB
Howland would be an outstanding higher for Alabama. It's not like Alabama has some lofty pedigree. How in the world could they justify turning a coach down who in the last 10 years has been to 3 final fours including a national runner up when the program's been to a SINGLE elite eight in its entire history? His recruiting was a bit hit or miss at ucla, but he also had the no.1-2 recruiting class in the nation in his last year depending on what service you looked at, so I'm not sure that he wouldn't be able to have SOME success recruiting in a state that has produced its fair share of elite talent in the last several years.

Originally posted by buckkiller:

Originally posted by GermantownDawg:

Yeah UGA should be in that mix. Fox doing a pretty good job at a bigtime Football program. I can see UGA staying solid as long as Fox is their head man.
We're happy with where the program is trending right now. Dan McDonald seems to think Georgia will have an active off season...

Can't see Marshall going to Bama' at all, and I'm not sure that Smart would, either. Prohm sounds more likely a candidate that could and would take the job. Good luck to Bama' whomever they get !

They covet Marshall and Smart, but won't happen IMO. Those two are waiting on a big job (IU may be coming open soon). Howland is most likely with Miller also on the wish list. Prohm will be considered and would take the job, but they want to hear "NO" from some others first. I don't think Prohm will energize them, especially with how the Mike Gottfried tenure turned out.

I am actually surprised at how much interest there is from the AL fanbase about this hire. They want a big name, just not sure how great a job this is.

In John McEnroe voice: YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!

Hey money talks i hope Ala. get's a good coach would love to see the sec on top in basketball

Originally posted by LordEgg:
why is everyone convinced cal is leaving in a couple of years?
Somebody always brings it up. I have not seen one iota of dissatisfaction with Kentucky from Coach Cal.

Exactly! I agree 100%. I think Indiana should offer him a lifetime contract.

Whomever they hire is going to need more than a nice little bump in pay...he's going to need full support of the administration, boosters, and fans...something Anthony Grant and all those who came before him never had...

as for the prospects, there is a nice young crop of talent out there right now...

Scott Drew--can recruit at a high level...built that Baylor program up from the deepest darkest abyss...

Archie Miller--has the fire, passion, and ambition...

Richard Pitino--has the name and pedigree...assistant under his father and Billy...has HC experience now...

also a few assistants I would give a good look at...

Kenny Payne--has learned under cal...recruits a lot of the nba caliber studs himself...a real players type of coach...

Eric Mussleman--currently an assistant at LSU...comes from pro ranks with front office and coaching experience...coached international squads...

Rick Stansbury--former HC in SEC...built Miss St into a program that could compete...helped aggies HC haul in one of the best recruiting classes for next year...

I don't think alabama will go,after anothe murray state coach or VCu coach. They have already hired coaches from both schools Their last two,coaches came from those schools gottfried and grant

Don - no one is saying Cal is not satisfied, but he's said time and time again that no one can stay in this spot for more than 10 years, it's a grueling process...he's here 5 more years at the very most.

Either accept that, or leave your head in the sand and think he's going to coach here until he's 80.

If I were an Alabama fan, my choice would be either Richard Pitino, Kenny Payne or Prohm, Murray State coach

This post was edited on 3/18 8:39 PM by knotonalog

ADVERTISEMENT