ADVERTISEMENT

My Reason To Let Cal Go

Dirt Court King

Freshman
Feb 5, 2010
Nashville via Pikeville
The reason I don’t like Calipari, the past few years is not only because of his coaching abilities but the fact that Kentucky has become a one year training ground for the NBA… i’ve been watching Kentucky since 1966 and it’s always been about championships!! Myself like some of you guys are just tired of this one year turnover of producing millionaires and not caring about Kentucky’s historic basketball tradition of winning. Calipari seems to have forgotten his major role and that’s to produce championships at Kentucky not millionaires at Kentucky.!! Now we can allow him to come back and it’s going to be the same thing. He will please us with the number one recruiting class, but these young freshmen will not be able to win a championship their first yeat then they are gone and then it’s the same thing every year over and over, things have to change and I think now is the time for it to change .. Calipari‘s legacy will be that he is the greatest recruiter of all time, but just an average basketball coach. I think Kentucky is much better than that. It’s just time for a new change in my opinion. Jay Wright said a number one recruiting class with all freshman will not produce a championship today in college basketball. I guess the main question now is who is capable of replacing Cal….??

The reason I don’t like Calipari, the past few years is not only because of his coaching abilities but the fact that Kentucky has become a one year training ground for the NBA… i’ve been watching Kentucky since 1966 and it’s always been about championships!! Myself like some of you guys are just tired of this one year turnover of producing millionaires and not caring about Kentucky’s historic basketball tradition of winning. Calipari seems to have forgotten his major role and that’s to produce championships at Kentucky not millionaires at Kentucky.!! Now we can allow him to come back and it’s going to be the same thing. He will please us with the number one recruiting class, but these young freshmen will not be able to win a championship their first yeat then they are gone and then it’s the same thing every year over and over, things have to change and I think now is the time for it to change .. Calipari‘s legacy will be that he is the greatest recruiter of all time, but just an average basketball coach. I think Kentucky is much better than that. It’s just time for a new change in my opinion. Jay Wright said a number one recruiting class with all freshman will not produce a championship today in college basketball. I guess the main question now is who is capable of replacing Cal….??
Cal even said himself he will continue to recruit the way he does and might not have to hit the portal hard this year. That is a man that will never change. I agree with what you said

Cal has never been shy about labeling this program “players first” and bragging of the NBA payroll achieved by his recruits. Never has he even remotely alluded to actually winning games for the school or the fans. An incredible disconnect that he is unwilling to embrace.

Reactions: KFuqua and TFCats11
So far the teams advancing in the tournament for the most part have experienced players. They may have or not pro potential but many were not great names coming out of High School. Also, quite a few programs have where the outstanding players have stayed and developed. Zach Edey is a great example. He started out good but each year has gotten better and better. Other teams like Grand Canyon, you go who or even Oakland (dare I say) and yet they have experienced decent players who beat us and our more likely pros. Our Freshman in the final game all were disasters and even though Mitchell wasn't great both he and Reeves (our experienced players) accounted for most of the points we scored. How is this even debatable anymore?

We have been celebrating for several years when Cal lands 5 stars. Well quite a few have been a bust or not lived up to anything that meets these no name older players. Now if all the Freshman stay and develop that is what it now takes to have a good college team. That's not what Cal sells.

Reactions: know1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT