ADVERTISEMENT

A Hint Why Gavin Wimsatt Committed to Rutgers

And I suppose Destin Wade is gonna be Tom Brady? He didn’t come here And that’s fine but you make it seem like we signed some elite QB prospect instead.
To be fair, have you seen Destin Wade play football? Not saying he will be a better collegiate player than Wimsatt, but the system will have a lot to do with it. Wade wants to be a Wildcat. He has size, arm strength, killer instinct, not unlike Levis. Right at this moment, it looks like Wade's main competition will be Kaiya Sheron unless Coen brings in an immediate impact quarterback in 2023. That means Wade gets his chance. Could be a good player in Coen's offense, could be better than that.

Might as well get ready to see a lot of this. Players and families will know how much NIL money they will receive from boosters during recruitment. If their son gets hurt playing their final year of high school football and can't play college ball, that money is gone forever from them.

Many of the best players will forgo their Sr. seasons to avoid that risk and if they have enough credits to graduate early, they will do what Gavin is doing.

Show me the money.......now!!
If Wimsatt is 75-80% of expectations and get Rutgers to 8-9 win season within the next few years, NJ will go wild and expect Wimsatt to get a seven figure NIL in his junior/senior year even if he doesn’t get to the NFL.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Does Louisville football have 8 national championships? Not sure comparing unrealistic expectations is analogous, but I get what you are saying.
I'm pretty sure UL does not have 8 national championships. Are you suggesting 8 national championships make it acceptable to behave in a manner that brings embarrassment to the program? expectations are not the only criteria fan base behavior can be measured. (example) some act foolishly when examining any objective criticism...

• Haha
Reactions: Ky grandpa
I'm pretty sure UL does not have 8 national championships. Are you suggesting 8 national championships make it acceptable to behave in a manner that brings embarrassment to the program? expectations are not the only criteria fan base behavior can be measured. (example) some act foolishly when examining any objective criticism...

No, not at all. I was just suggesting that one side's arrogance is at least based on historical precedent, while the other side's was based on delusion. Jackassery can be attributed to about any collegiate or professional fanbase. The bigger ones just stick out more.

Might as well get ready to see a lot of this. Players and families will know how much NIL money they will receive from boosters during recruitment. If their son gets hurt playing their final year of high school football and can't play college ball, that money is gone forever from them.

Many of the best players will forgo their Sr. seasons to avoid that risk and if they have enough credits to graduate early, they will do what Gavin is doing.

Show me the money.......now!!

Which is hilarious given this is exactly what the NCAA does not allow. The NIL money is not to be an inducement, nor is the university supposed to be working with sponsors to arrange such. I hope he actually gets the money and gets to keep that and his eligibility there. Rutgers is a good school.

It just seems like a lot of these deals that are being done are SPECIFICALLY used as inducements to get the kids to a SPECIFIC school, which is a violation of the ruling on it. Will be interesting to see where this goes

BS, this is a slam from Valley Station (Louisville). The conventional wisdom in Owensboro was that UK moved on from him after the OC change and Stoops stood by the scholarship offer without really pushing to sign him. This isn't as ugly as the Wandale recruitment but it could get that way. Good player but it is unlikely he would see significant snaps at UK for a couple of years at best. Who knows what happens but his family moving away and him quitting during the season makes it less likely for him to return.

I wouldn't expect him to return to KY before graduation unless his parents moved back. Good school. Not a bad choice for him, even if there are better choices. That money is a huge incentive. Don't know many players that would turn down an offer of 100k or more to go to a good school, heck even a bad school like UL...

Which is hilarious given this is exactly what the NCAA does not allow. The NIL money is not to be an inducement, nor is the university supposed to be working with sponsors to arrange such. I hope he actually gets the money and gets to keep that and his eligibility there. Rutgers is a good school.

It just seems like a lot of these deals that are being done are SPECIFICALLY used as inducements to get the kids to a SPECIFIC school, which is a violation of the ruling on it. Will be interesting to see where this goes
Everything about NIL is a inducement no matter what the NCAA wants you to believe.

I’m pretty sure it is because New Jersey is known as “The Garden State” on their license plates. Doesn’t that sound like a lovely place to you?

Good luck to him but he's just another Adrian Martinez, Jarrett Guarantano. Kentucky didn't lose anything.
Stoops has said over and over that he wants to recruit the top talent from the state of Kentucky. I don't think it is quite accurate to say that losing the top high school player in Kentucky to Rutgers is not losing anything. And if it was Coen's decision to back off Wimsatt, then I think it would be fair to question the decision in light of the fact that UK still doesn't have a qback who can smoothly operate the downfield passing game. However, running a college football program is a complicated process that has many good and bad days. Even Saban doesn't get every player he targets. A football team does not turn on signing one player, no matter what fans may want. I have every confidence that Stoops' program is on the upward march and will continue to be, and that this recruiting class will be outstanding.

If Wimsatt is 75-80% of expectations and get Rutgers to 8-9 win season within the next few years, NJ will go wild and expect Wimsatt to get a seven figure NIL in his junior/senior year even if he doesn’t get to the NFL.
No one in NJ really gives a damn about RU football. Alums... that's about it. NY media market has much bigger actors. I suppose some RU alum might make him a gift deal.

• Haha
Reactions: UKat1 and Girthang
I’m pretty sure it is because New Jersey is known as “The Garden State” on their license plates. Doesn’t that sound like a lovely place to you?

Have you been? Jersey countryside IS really nice. I'd visit there anytime if it wasnt the way it is politically. Really enjoyed my time there 15 yrs ago.

The word in Owensboro is he got 250 k. Family moved to NJ.

The word in Owensboro is he got 250 k. Family moved to NJ.
Any word on who paid it? There needs to be some sort of accountability or this NIL is going to destroy college sports IMO. Reminds me of the stories of UK BB players in the 1970s getting paid big paychecks in the summers to “work“ on local horse farms.

Last edited:
Have you been? Jersey countryside IS really nice. I'd visit there anytime if it wasnt the way it is politically. Really enjoyed my time there 15 yrs ago.
Dude, I appreciate your passion for UK football but do you really truly limit the places you go based on their “politics”? Why? This country was founded on diversity of opinions, expressions of different opinions, respect of other’s opinions. We gotta get back to respecting our differences. Now back to sports.

It’ll be interesting to see them Monday night.

They keep repeating that Ole Miss was “just 5-5,” ignoring their worse record against softer competition.

They seem to have the Ole Miss game penciled in, a good warm up for their ACC competition!?!?
😆

Any word on who paid it? There needs to be some sort of accountability or this NIL is going to destroy college sports IMO. Reminds me of the stories of UK BB players in the 1970s getting paid big paychecks in the summers to “work“ on local horse farms.
It was reported on here that Cliff’s Notes was his sponsor.

I think I would have went to Vandy because he doesn't look to have pro potential. That Vandy education opens up a lot of doors
Rutgers is a good school. Maybe not quite Vandy on the totem pole academically, but much higher than UK. Depending on what he is planning on studying, it might be perfect for the kid. It is beyond me how so many people complain about a kid's choice of colleges and think they know what is right for that particular kid. Let people make their decisions. They are the ones that live with them.

Rutgers is a good school. Maybe not quite Vandy on the totem pole academically, but much higher than UK. Depending on what he is planning on studying, it might be perfect for the kid. It is beyond me how so many people complain about a kid's choice of colleges and think they know what is right for that particular kid. Let people make their decisions. They are the ones that live with them.
Rutgers is an above average school, Vandy is elite. Not in the same ballpark.

It would be funny to learn that his name and face are soon to be all over someone's dumpsters or concrete trucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishPokerDog
And, it is dependent on what program at the particular school you are talking about.
Overall, UK has a top 5 pharmacy school but that doesn’t elevate the entire university very much. Rutgers is solid not special.

100% right, e.g. UK is one of the top pharmacy schools in the country. IMO kids are 10x better off picking the program than picking an "elite" school
Most kids don’t know what they want to do with their lives coming out of HS. If they have a strong family history of pharmacists and are very good in math and science then picking the best pharmacy school is great otherwise that’s unlikely to turn out.

It is clear that there are some Wimsett and Rutgers fans on here. Rutgers is a solid school in a state that has both beautiful country and crime ridden urban centers. It has an unremarkable football tradition. All that is undeniable.

He evidently got a chunk of money to go there, not life changing money but good for him. He pulled up stakes and left in the middle of the HS season and that is very strange. Has another HS player ever done that? I question that act by both Rutgers and the family but maybe that is where college and HS sports are headed. Good luck to them.

Dude, I appreciate your passion for UK football but do you really truly limit the places you go based on their “politics”? Why? This country was founded on diversity of opinions, expressions of different opinions, respect of other’s opinions. We gotta get back to respecting our differences. Now back to sports.
****LMAO**** @ people who let their political butthurt dictate their entertainment & travel.

True. And Rutgers continues to develop its players into NFL draft picks.
Haven't heard the details of Wandale's deal but it has been reported that it is in the 6 figures.

Rutgers has 12 players on NFL rosters / Kentucky has 16 players on NFL Rosters.
I would guess that UK puts another 5-6 (at least) into the league after this next draft.

End of the day, you can never be mad at an 18 year old kid for making a decision that's going to better his life. Some players handle the decisions better than others and there is nothing I've read about Wimsatt to suggest he burned bridges or handled things in an unprofessional manner. I don't like the unsubstantiated rumors, mostly from Rutgers and UL media personalities, that Wimsatt had to "flee from Kentucky because of all the negativity after the commitment". I think that's all BS, people wanted him here but I don't recall seeing this outcry or backlash against the kid.

Best of luck to the kid and I hope he does great

Haven't heard the details of Wandale's deal but it has been reported that it is in the 6 figures.

Rutgers has 12 players on NFL rosters / Kentucky has 16 players on NFL Rosters.
I would guess that UK puts another 5-6 (at least) into the league after this next draft.

End of the day, you can never be mad at an 18 year old kid for making a decision that's going to better his life. Some players handle the decisions better than others and there is nothing I've read about Wimsatt to suggest he burned bridges or handled things in an unprofessional manner. I don't like the unsubstantiated rumors, mostly from Rutgers and UL media personalities, that Wimsatt had to "flee from Kentucky because of all the negativity after the commitment". I think that's all BS, people wanted him here but I don't recall seeing this outcry or backlash against the kid.

Best of luck to the kid and I hope he does great
Agreed. I am just saying Rutgers is no football factory, dead last in the Big 10, doesn’t play in the SEC. it’s his choice I agree. But some make it sound like that would be a normal choice between UK-Rutgers. Hence the recruiting classes in the last 5-6 years.

Most kids don’t know what they want to do with their lives coming out of HS. If they have a strong family history of pharmacists and are very good in math and science then picking the best pharmacy school is great otherwise that’s unlikely to turn out.

Don't necessarily agree with that, a lot of kids really do have a good idea what career path they want to take initially and would be well advised to pick a good engineering, business, accounting school etc., instead of a higher ranked school overall. And those kids do a lot better in school, IMO.

But I am sure you and I would agree that once you get out in the real world your life path and career can take you in many directions, no matter where you went to school and what you studied.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT