ADVERTISEMENT

A Hint Why Gavin Wimsatt Committed to Rutgers

I wish Wimsatt success. By all accounts from friends in the Big O, he is a great kid.

I also look forward to @BBBLazing repeatedly posting and chastising other posters at every level Wimsatt is a great success. 😝

• Haha
Reactions: sieken
Don't necessarily agree with that, a lot of kids really do have a good idea what career path they want to take initially and would be well advised to pick a good engineering, business, accounting school etc., instead of a higher ranked school overall. And those kids do a lot better in school, IMO.

But I am sure you and I would agree that once you get out in the real world your life path and career can take you in many directions, no matter where you went to school and what you studied.
I really don't agree that a lot of kids know what they are going to do with their lives while in HS. You must have been around a very focused group of young people. The only kids I saw who were sure what they wanted were those whose family had business they would enter. There are always a couple of people who wanted a law or medicine career but most hadn't a clue.

I have been in higher education for all of my life. I have listened to young people's stories. I would counter with this opinion. I think you should go to the best school you can comfortably afford. The name and reputation of the school carries weight throughout your career. It also depends on the stage on which you want to excel, county, state, regional, national. In the examples you listed, in order to move to the top positions in business, engineering, etc you will most probably need an advanced degree and getting into graduate schools is easier from a higher ranked university. If you want to take over your dad's law firm or accounting business then none of this matters.

that's just my point don't think he was that good anyway.
Not to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but some people like to give credence to player rankings when it suits them and then minimize them when it doesn't. I may be wrong, but I think Wimsatt is the consensus #1 high school football talent in Kentucky in the 2022 class. He may not be a perfect fit for Coen. He and his mom may not be UK fans. But Marrow recruited him. In the final analysis, Wimsatt is not the only instate player who turned down a UK scholarship offer. I am sure our program will survive.

my observation was based on seeing him play against a good team in state play off
he looked bad in that game.
most of his #s were put up against small schools.
he did not rise to the occasion.
not a attack just an observation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT