ADVERTISEMENT

2018-2019 coaching staff

Bcat44

Blue Chip Prospect
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2017
Hazard, KY
After reading through most of the posts on here it's quite obvious there is a need for change with assistant(s) coaching. With that being said, do you all believe there will actually be a switch up among our assistant coaches? I saw where CoachX says we will for sure see a shake up that involves a former NBA player that will recruit at a high level. What're your alls opinions? My opinion is we let go of Barbee and pick up either Penny Hardaway or Jalen Rose, at least I think one of those would be an excellent pick up!

After reading through most of the posts on here it's quite obvious there is a need for change with assistant(s) coaching. With that being said, do you all believe there will actually be a switch up among our assistant coaches? I saw where CoachX says we will for sure see a shake up that involves a former NBA player that will recruit at a high level. What're your alls opinions? My opinion is we let go of Barbee and pick up either Penny Hardaway or Jalen Rose.
Penny Hardaway would be amazing. And Jalen Rose would do. We’d be able to give both higher salaries than they have now.

I get ripped on this board for saying Rod Strickland's presence in an administrative role had an underrated impact on this team. Don't misconstrue that as me saying we won solely because of him, just saying that I think he was more important than people lead on. I firmly believe a former NBA player of notoriety is a bonus hanging around the program that UK can have that not most schools can. I realize Doron Lamb was one player but he said Strickland's presence on staff had a big impact in him picking UK. Maybe only one player sang his praises in the media but highly doubt that's the only guy Strickland had an impact on during his time at UK. If he offered nothing to the program, Cal would not have had him come to Lexington from Memphis. I also realize those in administrative roles don't recruit but don't be naive to think recruits do not notice someone like Rod is around the program. Before your quick to slam the idea of someone like Rod on staff, let the results Cal's teams had while he was part of the mix speak for themselves. He was a small piece of the piece, nevertheless a piece in general. If you follow recruiting in college sports at all, often times parents talk about former pros being around the program that they know of. Former NBA players are good mentors to these kids. They know what it's like to be in their shoes in college and where they are about to head in the NBA. It's the off the court life of these kids where former pros can play the "Good Cop" role so to speak and get them through that will later translate to results on the court. It does NOT have to exactly be Rod this time around, maybe someone more recently retired from the NBA that these kids followed. Sort of indirectly impacts UK with their presence for recruiting if you go buy Doron Lamb's testimony. As far as assistants being on the road for a direct recruiting impact, this is where I'd like to see a recently retired NBA guy or Coach Orlando Antigua come on to the staff for recruiting purposes.

Last edited:
Penny Hardaway would be amazing. And Jalen Rose would do. We’d be able to give both higher salaries than they have now.

This. One of these two — along with — or just Coach’s O would be a HUGE improvement. My concern is Cal is loyal to a fault. Barbee and Robic have been with him through the years — and he won’t want to look like he’s “throwing them out with the trash” but I have to believe it’s time for one — or both to go.

This. One of these two — along with — or just Coach’s O would be a HUGE improvement. My concern is Cal is loyal to a fault. Barbee and Robic have been with him through the years — and he won’t want to look like he’s “throwing them out with the trash” but I have to believe it’s time for one — or both to go.
Calipari is very loyal to his guys. Would like to see him extend that loyalty back to one of his other guys Coach O and give him another chance at a major school. Orlando was never charged with NCAA violations. People want to freak out because of what happened at USF but ignore the fact he had no issues from 2009-14 on staff here. Just facts.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ied-provided-extra-benefits-to-two-prospects/

If Cal doesn't think our assistants are a problem why do some of the fans, he hired them, I'm sure he wouldn't say those things. We play 8 players most of the time, 6 are freshmen and two are Sophomores and they don't even start. There is not much leadership or experience there. When you lead late in games and lose you haven't learned how to win yet, experience and leadership go a long way.

Reactions: JC43
If Cal doesn't think our assistants are a problem why do some of the fans, he hired them, I'm sure he wouldn't say those things. We play 8 players most of the time, 6 are freshmen and two are Sophomores and they don't even start. There is not much leadership or experience there. When you lead late in games and lose you haven't learned how to win yet, experience and leadership go a long way.

Its more about recruiting than in game coaching and such. It doesn't take much to realize our recruiting isn't as it was, yes we still pull in good talent, but the trend is now that we get top 25 players rather than top 5, as we previously did so often before 2015. We need a closer, a popular name. To me I believe that would be Penny Hardaway with his AAU connections.

Also, look at it like this, so many people talk about James Wiseman reclassifying even though he has said he will not. Hire Penny Hardaway once this season is over, watch who will reclassify for next season. Just a hunch.

I'll take Penny. Pass on Rose. Really want to start getting the recruits? Go convince T-Mac to give up his TV gig and become our lead recruiter, kids would go ape shit

Reactions: Bcat44
I'll take Penny. Pass on Rose. Really want to start getting the recruits? Go convince T-Mac to give up his TV gig and become our lead recruiter, kids would go ape shit
And considering T-Mac would've went to UK if he had went to college, one would have to wonder. I'm sure as an assistant at UK he would be making more money than doing the TV gig, one would think anyways lol

How about a whole new staff.
People are so soon to forget the success Cal has had. You gotta look at all the factors here, our recruiting slid a tad bit once we lost coach O and hired Barbee. I'm not sure about Justus yet, but I'm all in on bringing some changes to the assistant staff not named Kenny Payne. Payne is extremely valuable to the team and recruiting. Dude could get a head coaching job elsewhere if he wanted it

And considering T-Mac would've went to UK if he had went to college, one would have to wonder. I'm sure as an assistant at UK he would be making more money than doing the TV gig, one would think anyways lol
That and when UK and Duke are coming to town for in home visits who are you more excited to see? Capel and K or T-Mac and Cal. It's a pipe dream that's not going to happen but I can dream

That and when UK and Duke are coming to town for in home visits who are you more excited to see? Capel and K or T-Mac and Cal. It's a pipe dream that's not going to happen but I can dream
Throw in Hardaway along with T-Mac and Cal. I know that's all a dream but could you imagine... I mean Haradaway and T-mac or Barbee and Justus? Not hard to see which duo would be more enticing to teenage kids.

People are so soon to forget the success Cal has had. You gotta look at all the factors here, our recruiting slid a tad bit once we lost coach O and hired Barbee. I'm not sure about Justus yet, but I'm all in on bringing some changes to the assistant staff not named Kenny Payne. Payne is extremely valuable to the team and recruiting. Dude could get a head coaching job elsewhere if he wanted it
I see it as lack of success, given the talent that has been here.

I see it as lack of success, given the talent that has been here.
So four final fours in an eight year span is lack of success? That's 50% of the time we're going to the final four, and if not for a screwjob by Higgins last year it's 5/8. The best team cannot win it every year. I agree that 2015 there is hands down no excuse for not winning a championship. Do I think Cal is perfect? Not at all. I think he's stubborn and should change some of the things he does, BUT you tell me who you're gonna hire that's gonna do a better job?

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
Its more about recruiting than in game coaching and such. It doesn't take much to realize our recruiting isn't as it was, yes we still pull in good talent, but the trend is now that we get top 25 players rather than top 5, as we previously did so often before 2015. We need a closer, a popular name. To me I believe that would be Penny Hardaway with his AAU connections.
Mike White is doing it with outside top 25 talent, you are underestimating in game coaching and such. Florida team is well seasoned in experience.

Mike White is doing it with outside top 25 talent, you are underestimating in game coaching and such. Florida team is well seasoned in experience.
My post was about recruiting, not in game coaching. I think there are things Cal should change with his coaching style, for one our offense looks horrible. The dribble drive just doesn't work when you don't have shooters to provide spacing. Now no one could've factored in the top shooter we recruited having to sit the season out due to injury. Baker is a freshman, it's hard to say how successful he would be, but I do think his shooting presence would be a big boost to this team and create more space and free up lanes for our "athletes" to drive. We need to brush up on our fundamentals more than anything.

I agree with some things he needs to change, but the players we have now are plenty good. they just need a few upperclassmen to help stabilize things. I know Baker is a freshmen and he was brought in because we didn't have enough shooters which like you said would help the offense run smoother. We have 6 of the top 35 players from last year, 5 in the top 22 that's good enough. Most other programs would love to have 1 or two of the players we have, but you have to have help in the form of experience and leadership to make it work consistently. No one could expect Cal to do any better in his recruiting than that. I just don't think recruiting is the main problem. Different opinions are what makes these topics interesting though.

A lot less pressure (and I assume work) with a TV gig. Sure you still have to perform, but you aren't going to have people clamoring for your job over every little detail that isn't perfectly done. I know I am pretty ignorant on all that is involved with a TV job since I've never done it nor have I researched it any, but seems like it would be a pretty sweet job if you like the on-camera work.

Several of those players would be 5-stars and high 4-stars if they were this good as freshmen. Not saying you are one of them, but people seem to act like a 2 or 3 star out of HS is still only going to be a 2 or 3 star type talent as a junior or senior. With a coach who is even moderately good at developing players, those type of players, if they are coachable, are going to be the equivalent of a 4 or 5-star freshmen in terms of talent, but with experience. Sure the vast majority of them aren't going to get to develop into an elite tier freshman like a KAT, Wall, Cousins, etc. but they are going to be every bit as good or better than many of the freshmen we've had.

Don't know why some of you want Jalen Rose. He has never coached or recruited. Just because he compliments Uk on his tv show doesn't mean he will be a good college coach or recruiter. Please let it go. First thing Cal needs to do is revamp the offense and make it user friendly. And right away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT