ADVERTISEMENT

Zion wasn’t even considering UK

JFCats22

All-American
Feb 3, 2015
According to his Dad he was considering Duke, UNC, Clemson and USC.

And at one point nearly everyone thought he was headed to UK.

SMH....no clue what has happened to Cal lately.

Reactions: RonEJones
Hope basketball works for the kid, his mom was having to read his commitment letter for him last night. I get the feeling educational value has never been strong with him, but you know Duke will set him for life so he will be fine..

Reactions: dckala2
Seems like this is the story a lot lately when it comes to recruiting. I remember when people were saying Wiggins and Young were locks to come to UK and several others we were leading for then when it came decision time like Zion we weren't even considered.

it could be just part of the kids today.

Knox was the same way except it worked in our favor.

A kid keeps his recruitment close to his chest, doesn't talk about it and then that leaves a vacuum for the Evan Williams, Matt Jones, board insiders to read the tea leaves.

and the reality is, having a 17 year old going thru the college decision process now - it changes frequently for reasons that only a 17 year old can rationalize.

Hope basketball works for the kid, his mom was having to read his commitment letter for him last night. I get the feeling educational value has never been strong with him, but you know Duke will set him for life so he will be fine..

I got exactly the opposite. I took that she probably wrote it with him and was helping him get back if he lost his place. Clearly his family has a very important place in his decision. His faith too which I admire. Duke is not far away from home. An easy drive up i85. We just need to adjust. Cal's sales pitch is stale.

I got exactly the opposite. I took that she probably wrote it with him and was helping him get back if he lost his place. Clearly his family has a very important place in his decision. His faith too which I admire. Duke is not far away from home. An easy drive up i85. We just need to adjust. Cal's sales pitch is stale.

She was reading it to him Hannibal.. Poor fella made it with basketball..

no need to question the kids abilities.

appreciate he has a tight family - they want to do right by him and vice versa.

UK's pitch didn't win over the family. If you can drive less than 2 hours and see every home game, and the school is an academic winner, in a good conference and is a basketball blue blood, Cal would have to have a message that resonates a clear and meaningful reason why an NBA lock under those circumstances would benefit from UK moreso than Duke. What would that message be?

I'll give the kid credit in the sense that he didn't choose Clemson just to be BMOC

I think we have some lousy assistants, for one. Two, I think Cal is having to spend so much time coaching this team because of their inexperience, that it leaves him very little time to recruit (and we don't have quality assistants to cover for him).
CAL hired the lousy assistants, he's getting paid enough to coach and recruit, he has to bear responsibility in this too.

no to mention they can sell him on playing in the biggest rivalry in college basketball twice a year. The exposure from those two games alone probably exceeds playing every game in the SEC - and if he is a dunking machine in those games, he's punched his ticket in the draft.

meanwhile we no longer play Indiana, Pitino has trashed UL and we lose to UCLA

Every one of those within 200 miles of his house. Family.

Bingo. I've got a kid getting recruited by D1 in a minor sport and we haven't even visited or contacted anything outside of a three hour drive. The parents can watch more games, kid can come home more during free time, and the drive is not something that you dread. He still went to a mega power and is a high enough rated kid where the NBA will be there regardless of where he is at. Location does factor huge when other things are near equal. One more thing, who would want their kids having to drive the mountains of I-40 near Asheville anymore than they had to.

Reactions: awf
One thing for sure. Is the inside info we pay for on this site hasn’t been very reliable here recently. I know recruiting changes and kids change their mind but we’ve heard positive things on Zion & Barrett only to find out we weren’t even truly in the running.

CAL hired the lousy assistants, he's getting paid enough to coach and recruit, he has to bear responsibility in this too.

I think the good times are over, the magic is gone, gloom and doom are on the way. Lets get rid of the problem and hire another coach. We'll save money. RIGHT?

This isn’t true. Zion absolutely considered UK.

After the fact, I’ve heard some pretty damning things on the perception of Coach Cal and UK in general on the recruiting trail. I’ll try and post some thought and hearsay early this week when I talk to a few more things.

It’s one of those things.... if you keep saying things over and over again for years then people finally start to believe it.

Also expect an assistant change. There is already a “coaching world” rumor of a flyer being sent out to someone about potential interest. Would be a big time recruiting help.

After the fact, I’ve heard some pretty damning things on the perception of Coach Cal and UK in general on the recruiting trail. I’ll try and post some thought and hearsay early this week when I talk to a few more things.

It’s one of those things.... if you keep saying things over and over again for years then people finally start to believe it.

Also expect an assistant change. There is already a “coaching world” rumor of a flyer being sent out to someone about potential interest. Would be a big time recruiting help.

What is a coaching world? Can you provide any additional info on this?

I'm sure it has to do with the recruiting pitch that has damned us. Kids want to win. The theory that it's all about going pro is false. Most people who constantly believe that never played sports at any higher level. I did, and being drafted to the MLB was a big deal, but I wanted to win. Duke is selling winning, Cal is selling NBA. Sell both, sell UK. Stop selling the Lakers.

And if you're not going to include Nike's push then don't bother. It is obvious they are selling K's going out party.

I think we have some lousy assistants, for one. Two, I think Cal is having to spend so much time coaching this team because of their inexperience, that it leaves him very little time to recruit (and we don't have quality assistants to cover for him).
This is sort of goofy and knee jerk stuff

1. The vast majority of recruiting is in the summe when you aren’t coaching. So it’s not like as you imagine it out
2. But I agree Cal needs to cut bait with Barbee and maybe Justice and get more help with assistants to generate relationships

According to his Dad he was considering Duke, UNC, Clemson and USC.

Good lord, we weren't even in his top four? That's a startling indicator of how far we seem to have lately fallen in the recruiting wars.

And it's also the complete opposite of what Matt Jones and the other supposed insiders have been telling us for months.

Why the hell Calipari put Joel Justus in a lead recruiting role will never make sense to me. Been a major bust IMO.

Reactions: seccats04
Good lord, we weren't even in his top four? That's a startling indicator of how far we seem to have lately fallen in the recruiting wars.

And it's also the complete opposite of what Matt Jones and the other supposed insiders have been telling us for months.

Because, for the 100000 time, Matt Jones has NO CONNECTIONS TO NATIONAL RECRUITING.

He has connections to Kentucky only, and that is the worst f'n way possible to evaluate. One sided recruiting info is trash.

But people keep on and on. Oh we're just jealous of Matt Jones, stupidest crap imaginable.

What is a coaching world? Can you provide any additional info on this?

I would fully expect a former NBA player to join the UK Staff after this year. That guy will also be able to bring in a lot of talent that I don’t think the current staff could get.

Not sure who leaves the UK bench, but the staff has a lot of pressure on themselves for the 2019 class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT