ADVERTISEMENT

POLITICAL THREAD

It's more important that we're diverse than to float.

Kentucky leads the United States in sugar consumption

The argument made in the second link I listed is essentially that a balanced diet can contain some less healthy foods. It's about balance. The Harvard study referenced essentially compares costs vs calorie... ie what can you buy of equal calories for the cost of 4 carrots.

What isn't address there, per the criticism, is that carrots can also replace macaroni and cheese. Yes, less calories, but also healthier and more nutritional.

I did not get a chance to read those links, but I'll check them out.

I'm not sure I would say that carrots can equate to mac and cheese. Yes, carrots are undoubtedly healthier, but you're gonna need to eat a heck of a lot of them to satiate you, which the 2nd article did allude to. If you wanted to fill your entire day's worth of food with JUST vegetables and fresh items (non processed, non frozen, etc etc).. it's not going to be cheap. Meanwhile, you CAN get by an entire day with a generic processed loaf of white bread, bologna, kraft singles, campbells soup, sugary cereal, Eggos, poptarts.. that will cost, what.. $10 a day for the food (Knowing the bread will last 3 days, etc)?

You simply can't eat healthy for $10/day.. at least not that I've found.

Jon Sumrall Watch

As long as Barnhart is AD Brad White will be the next coach. I dont agree with but I am not making the decision. I think Mitch and Stoops will retire at the same time.
Man, I just think that's an epically bad decision. How many SEC football teams hire an assistant to be HC? If Brad White wants to be a HC he needs to leave and get a job. Prove himself and then see where things are. It's just an insanely bad idea.

CFB Poll

Conference breakdown:

SEC: 9 (Nos. 1, 5, 7, 8, 9, 13, 15, T-18, 21)
Big Ten: 6 (Nos. 2, 3, 4, T-18, 23, 24)
ACC: 4 (Nos. 6, 10, 22, 25)
Big 12: 4 (Nos. T-11, 14, 16, T-18)
Mountain West: 1 (No. 17)
Independent: 1 (No. T-11)

I'm still confused about the 12 team CFP: "The 12 participating teams will be the five conference champions ranked highest by the CFP selection committee, plus the next seven highest-ranked teams."

So, I guess if it was over today the Mountain West could get an auto-selection with #17 ranked Boise State.

Yeah thats correct. It's a stupid system at present.

Yeah, it should be the 12 highest ranked teams regardless of conference. It also should be top 4 teams get byes. Winning a dog crap conference is not more impressive than losing n the sec title game IMO.

But politics. What you gonna do.
Reactions: CondorCat

POLITICAL THREAD

My nephew has a second home on Anna Marie Island off the coast of the Tampa Bay area. He was telling me that after Helena that he not only had water in his house, but there was sand washed ashore everywhere. Two or three feet of it on all the streets/roads of the island. It was classified as 'contaminated sand' and had to be hauled off. What is 'contaminated sand' that washes up from the bottom of the ocean?

Side note...they flew down yesterday to check on any damage to the house only to find out Friday/Saturday that another hurricane is coming. This time their home is in the direct path. Island is being evacuated so don't know if they'll ride it out in the house (3 story so they can get above any surge) or go inland and try to find a hotel...which I imagine will be hard to do.
Having been through more hurricanes than I care to count, IMO FEMA is not your friend. They and liberal politicians are usually a hindrance in the recovery. Case in point. Pinellas County has several very liberal mayors. St Pete is one. The mayor of St Pete locked up the landfill and would not allow residents to dispose of debris. Furniture and belongings piled up on the streets. Now we have another hurricane headed that way and debris can be a dangerous projectile when the winds come. Once the Governor found out about this he had the locks cut off and order State Guard and National Guard to the area to clear every street by tomorrow night. He order dump trucks from all over the state to report. The FDOT is coordinating. The Governor order the landfills open 24/7.

Regarding contaminated sand, we had massive flooding and several water treatment plants allowed raw sewage that was blown all over the area. The sand was also contaminated with dead fish from the Gulf. Damages from a hurricane are never clean.

Although we have a storm coming our way we are confident in the leadership from our state government and we will be OK. Unless the FEDS come in and screw things up. But I doubt the state will allow that.

Kentucky leads the United States in sugar consumption

$32 and this is a very conservative list. Easily good for 4 meals plus breakfast. It isn't rocket science....people just don't want to take the time to do it. Family of 4 is going to spend this on one trip to CFA.

But again, it's not comparing Fast Food to grocery shopping. It's comparing buying healthy items at the grocery store vs. non healthy items.

A Box of Fruity Pebbles is always going to cost less than Kashi Go Lean cereal (per volume), and 90% fat free ground beef always costs more than 70% fat free..
Reactions: Ron Mehico

Jon Sumrall Watch

Bear Bryant was promised after the basketball point-shaving-scandal/death penalty that Rupp would be fired. That, along with Paul Hornung saying no to go to Notre Dame are the most believable tales I have read or have been told. I also give credence to the tale told by Lexington’s most well-known Pharmacist in
that day, to a good friend of mine in 1964; Bear had been chasing skirts and won several chases. And numerous folks were pressuring him to get out of Dodge, likely including the Happy Chandler family, whose daughter was a target of Bryant’s wandering eye.

I honestly think it was all of the above: the move to A & M came at a good time for Bear, for several reasons.

But he was only at A & M three seasons before “Mama called,” and he answered. I doubt Kentucky could have retained him for Love or money with the Bama job opening just a couple of years after the A & M job opened.
I think your last part is key. No way he is staying after the 1957 season. He would have gone to Bama.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT