ADVERTISEMENT

NOOO! UK and IU in Talks to Renew Rivalry

Do you want UK to renew the series with IU?

• Yes, either a Home and Home or Neutral Sites are OK.

Votes: 77 16.8%
  • Yes, but only if it is at Neutral Sites, such as Indianapolis and Louisville.

Votes: 98 21.4%
  • No.

Votes: 283 61.8%

• Total voters
I remember them too, Da Bull. I generally attended the ones in the RCA Dome. It was great fun, and as I said, I considered them our biggest rival.

But things changed. There is just too much inexcusable venom and ridiculous accusations from the IU fan base now, in my opinion. And you can probably thank their former coach for the most of it. In turn, UK fans have begun to reciprocate the disdain. To me, it's on a different level than even U of L. Still enjoy that one.

We don't need them.

I don't think either team needs it but its good for college basketball. I'd rather play this game than play St. Geneva Christian Baptist Academy of South Westport Rd University Tech.

I don't think either team needs it but its good for college basketball. I'd rather play this game than play St. Geneva Christian Baptist Academy of South Westport Rd University Tech.

I understand what you are saying about replacing the game, but I think Mitch and Cal have done a pretty good job of scheduling games against elite teams. (Something IU isn't and hasn't been for awhile.)

True, the Rupp schedule generally leaves a lot to be desired, but it seems Cal prefers the neutral sites for tourney preparation. I too wish we brought more marquee games in Rupp. I just choose for it to be somebody besides IU.

Reactions: Da_Bull

Well, you could attempt to schedule someone with a pulse in your non-conference just as UK has done. It shouldn't be difficult if you are in fact an "elite" program still.

What I remember most is UK owning this series over the past 20+ years at a UK vs Georgia football like level.

It just isn't a fun rivalry on our end anymore and it hasn't been since a time prior to the birth of every player on both rosters. Add in the pure vitriol that comes from IU fans toward UK and it's an absolutely joyless rivalry for UK and their fans. We have absolutely nothing to gain.

"....personally, i don't think much of hoosiers, neither."

IU = Irrelevant University. The Hoosiers have fallen off the college basketball map. They are the fourth or fifth most successful program in Indiana in the past 20 years. You'd have to be pushing 40 to remember when IU counted in college hoops. What exactly does this game offer Kentucky? The Cats play Louisville and UNC home-and-home. UK is part of the prestigious early tourney with Duke, Kansas and Mich State. Adding Indiana excites me about as much as adding a series with Iowa or Texas Tech. I guess there is a TV check in it, but I'm surprised CBS even has any interest in a team with so little national appeal as IU.
Well said. Heck, I doubt Knight would even want to watch it.

Does UK really need to add another team to its schedule where the fans rush the floor if they win? <<<<< To any IU fans reading that question, that was an insult...

Reactions: Smashcat
I say get it going, don't really care where the games are played. Quick question, how many of you talking about the last game in Bloomington actually went to the game?
Wasn't there for the last game in Bloomington, but was there Cal's first year and I will never go back. IU and that administration is a joke to let the things go on in that arena that they do. I also attended the UK, UofL game the first year in the yum center and Bloomington was by far the worst experience i've ever had as an opposing fan. I absoutley hope UK does not renew this series, they do not deserve to play us like others have stated keep UNC, or add Duke, KU, Michigan State , schedule a home and home with Wisconsin for a few seasons but not IU.

I just went to peegs. It seems like most of their fanbase wants to make Cal yield to the home and home. Why would UK even consider this? Why do they want to play UK so bad? Play Louisville every year and move on.

Kentucky and Indiana Rivalry Again? Link at Nation of Blue. At the bottom, there is a poll asking UK fans if they want to play IU again. Right now there is more that DO than DONT. IU fans might have hijacked the poll. I don't think anyone can give UK 3 good reasons to play irrelevant university again. GBB

Last edited:
Put UCLA in there on a permanent basis. Helps with the west coast, and that game actually represents an interest on a national level.

Indiana is done. Why go back to psychotic old girlfriends who may or may not have smelled like urine the last time you saw them in public?

Last edited:
NO , a 100000000000 times over NO ! Would piss me off if we did schedule them

The only way we (UK fans) make this go away quickly is to agree to boycott the game. Let the AD know that we are not going to watch this game. I know that sounds insane but the thought of rabid UK fans not watching a game that we want no part of would certainly be a strong statement. I don't mean not go to the games of course...our beloved CATS need and deserve our support in that capacity at least.

What I mean is television. I say we simply tune out any IU game that is played in Assembly Hall. The AD needs to know how serious we are about not wanting our players and fans put in harms way at the despicable place.

So you want to cancel the series that's been going on basically since 69 and started in 1924 over a 4 letter word everyone uses? My point with the tweets is there are always a few bad apples in a huge fanbase, the chant holds nothing to what was said in some of those tweets.

The court rushing without allowing the players and coaches a chance to safely exit the court was a HUGE reason too!!! The safety of our players from out of control morons is a big concern for us.

Not only that...UK really doesn't need IU at all. There are plenty of teams that are actually relevant that are much more worthy of our respect. If playing UK as a reinstated rivalry is so important to IU then I would say IU has a lot of work to do in showing how they are going to ensure what happened in Bloomington last time can never happen again.

I'm not totally opposed to neutral sites but frankly I don't think IU is worth the trouble.

IU fan here....most of us would prefer it going back to neutral sites as well, I went to several of those games and they were a lot of fun back in the day. Also went to two games in Rupp, one during the Sampson/Tubby era in 2005 I believe...both teams were average at best and the game was kind of a snoozer. And then around 2010 or so when we were terrible. Enjoyed the trip and have always had fun in Lexington.

The 2012 game was clearly a madhouse, mainly I think because IU fans were so desperate to win after being so God awful in the post Sampson years. Most have lost most of their excitement, and many have turned on Crean, and apathetic is probably the best description now. Home games are much more ' normal' now.

Anyway, I hope the series starts back up...it went 42 straight years before this hiatus...the only way I see it happening is neutral sites, which is fine with most of us.

The court rushing without allowing the players and coaches a chance to safely exit the court was a HUGE reason too!!! The safety of our players from out of control morons is a big concern for us.

Not only that...UK really doesn't need IU at all. There are plenty of teams that are actually relevant that are much more worthy of our respect. If playing UK as a reinstated rivalry is so important to IU then I would say IU has a lot of work to do in showing how they are going to ensure what happened in Bloomington last time can never happen again.

I'm not totally opposed to neutral sites but frankly I don't think IU is worth the trouble.

I've never seen a fanbase react to a court storming this way. Not one team has ever wanted to cancel a series over a court storming except for this game. Also I find it funny that instead of playing the #1 ranked team in 12-13 you all scheduled mighty Baylor instead.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
I've never seen a fanbase react to a court storming this way. Not one team has ever wanted to cancel a series over a court storming except for this game. Also I find it funny that instead of playing the #1 ranked team in 12-13 you all scheduled mighty Baylor instead.
looks like another Hoosier supporting their war on women. Don't forget a Playboy model had to cancel a photo shoot after being trampled by IU fans acting like a bunch of stampeding wildebeests.

The Maggot Colony does not deserve to play Greatness! Sorry but thanks but no thanks! Go get Indiana st on your schedule!

Reactions: flash123
UK has replaced the iu game with UCLA. I find it funny that iu replaced the UK game with SMU. Play UL and leave us alone.

Playing IU does nothing for UK. UK does not need the iu game for recruiting. Playing ucla or zona might help us out west. IU brings nothing to the table.

I enjoy beating IU as much as anyone but now have more satisfaction in not even playing them at all. IU crawling back to UK to help make them relevant again. The whole time insisting the games should be played on campus instead of neutral sites. Kentucky has moved on.

I don't see other programs jumping at idea of playing in Assembly Hall?? GBB

Last edited:

It isn't just the court storming. It is the constant "Cal is a cheater", "UK doesn't graduate anyone" crap that gets said all the time. The IU fan base basically has ZERO respect for BBN, so why should UK (who doesn't need IU anyway) feel obliged to have ANYTHING to do with that program. There is a lot of hate between UK and Duke but there is also a lot of mutual respect there. Same with Kansas, UNC and UCLA. In some ways, I wouldn't mind if we stopped playing UL as well. Why don't IU and UL hook up for a new rivalry? They actually deserve each other.

It isn't just the court storming. It is the constant "Cal is a cheater", "UK doesn't graduate anyone" crap that gets said all the time. The IU fan base basically has ZERO respect for BBN, so why should UK (who doesn't need IU anyway) feel obliged to have ANYTHING to do with that program. There is a lot of hate between UK and Duke but there is also a lot of mutual respect there. Same with Kansas, UNC and UCLA. In some ways, I wouldn't mind if we stopped playing UL as well. Why don't IU and UL hook up for a new rivalry? They actually deserve each other.

If that's the reasoning you won't have many teams to play. To be honest I don't know why UK wouldn't want to play IU. They've been head and shoulders above IU except for the 12-13 year. Not to mention we still have Crean I'd imagine UK would love an annual beat down to stick it to all the IU fans. I'm still an advocate for 4 game series but I'd take a game anywhere just to get the series going again. I've seen both sides not wanting to give in but someone will have to eventually, just glad its the ADs that are dictating this and not the fans as fans don't always have the big picture in mind.

If that's the reasoning you won't have many teams to play. To be honest I don't know why UK wouldn't want to play IU. They've been head and shoulders above IU except for the 12-13 year. Not to mention we still have Crean I'd imagine UK would love an annual beat down to stick it to all the IU fans. I'm still an advocate for 4 game series but I'd take a game anywhere just to get the series going again. I've seen both sides not wanting to give in but someone will have to eventually, just glad its the ADs that are dictating this and not the fans as fans don't always have the big picture in mind.
Why do you as an iu fan want to get stuck by UK so bad? UK's athletic department did ask the fans which series to do away with iu,ul, or unc from sec expansion. IU won in a landslide. Clappy and Glass being an ass in addition to what happened made the choice real easy. GBB

Why do you as an iu fan want to get stuck by UK so bad? UK's athletic department did ask the fans which series to do away with iu,ul, or unc from sec expansion. IU won in a landslide. Clappy and Glass being an ass in addition to what happened made the choice real easy. GBB

Well I'm old enough to remember when it was competitive, I've been to probably a dozen of these games throughout the year. The constant back and forth between our fans means very little when there's not a game on the line every year. Brings the basketball worlds attention to our area rather than the Carolinas. 2 of the biggest and most passionate basketball fan bases should see this game and the more I think about it neutral sites may be the way to go, pack 50k+ into lucas oil, bankers life, wherever, just get it done.

You just answered your own question. UK has ZERO to gain by playing IU because we are (in your own words) "head and shoulders above IU". This is not the case with Duke, Kansas and UNC as well as many other schools. If we beat IU...big deal, so what. If we beat Duke, Kansas, UNC and other top programs, our resume will look better for it. And like Duke and other blue bloods, we will have our share of cup cakes sprinkled in here and there. IU does not qualify as a worthy "Blue Blood" that would benefit us to schedule and beat nor do they qualify as one of those cup cake teams that we are all but guaranteed a victory. IU does not help UK's RPI or resume unless we play them and hand them a beat down margin of victory similar to what we did to Kansas and UCLA.

There just isn't anything to gain and I take no pleasure in playing a team with a fan base that is as disrespectful as IU fans have been. IU is far and away the most annoying fan base towards UK than all the other fan bases combined! I would just assume be in a room full of Duke and UL fans than be around more than 4 or 5 IU fans.

Now I don't know you, Da_Bull (you may be the exception to what I have found to be the "typical" IU fan) but I have been sadly disappointed with nearly every direct IU fan encounter I have had.

I am not totally opposed to neutral sites between UK and IU but I'm not dying for it either. I could frankly care less. IU means that little to me. I am 100% opposed to any home and home games between these programs because I don't care to live through that circus/riot like experience again.

You just answered your own question. UK has ZERO to gain by playing IU because we are (in your own words) "head and shoulders above IU". This is not the case with Duke, Kansas and UNC as well as many other schools. If we beat IU...big deal, so what. If we beat Duke, Kansas, UNC and other top programs, our resume will look better for it. And like Duke and other blue bloods, we will have our share of cup cakes sprinkled in here and there. IU does not qualify as a worthy "Blue Blood" that would benefit us to schedule and beat nor do they qualify as one of those cup cake teams that we are all but guaranteed a victory. IU does not help UK's RPI or resume unless we play them and hand them a beat down margin of victory similar to what we did to Kansas and UCLA.

There just isn't anything to gain and I take no pleasure in playing a team with a fan base that is as disrespectful as IU fans have been. IU is far and away the most annoying fan base towards UK than all the other fan bases combined! I would just assume be in a room full of Duke and UL fans than be around more than 4 or 5 IU fans.

Now I don't know you, Da_Bull (you may be the exception to what I have found to be the "typical" IU fan) but I have been sadly disappointed with nearly every direct IU fan encounter I have had.

I am not totally opposed to neutral sites between UK and IU but I'm not dying for it either. I could frankly care less. IU means that little to me. I am 100% opposed to any home and home games between these programs because I don't care to live through that circus/riot like experience again.

What did you guys gain from playing Baylor? This year you'll gain playing a likely top 15ish team. It can only improve your OOC SOS, not that it needs help but it'll help. Your 2nd sentence to me aids my argument in why they need to play, that much resentment between fan bases needs to be exploited. I would say the game in 11-12, even though you lost, helped you guys in winning the title (or maybe it was just ESPN since they replayed the ending over and over and over again). And you say you don't want to live through that "circus/riot like experience (as so elegantly put)", so you attended the game in Bloomington?

Would rather start an annual series with someone like Michigan State as opposed to a bunch of half-assed Indbred has-been tool wannabe's who haven't won anything since Reagan was in office, but act like they're still relevant to CBB. Screw the Loosiers and their pedophile looking coach.

Would rather start an annual series with someone like Michigan State as opposed to a bunch of half-assed Indbred has-been tool wannabe's who haven't won anything since Reagan was in office, but act like they're still relevant to CBB. Screw the Loosiers and their pedophile looking coach.

I expect to see your next post about how unclassy IU fans are.....

I agree with the OP who stated that this game should not be about extra money!

My preference would be at Lucas Oil (or Yum) only if a substantial portion of the proceeds went to charity. Otherwise, it should be on college campuses in front of college students. Yes, those college students might use the occasional four letter word, but hey, we all can take it.

I am pretty sure the Indiana Hoosiers men's basketball team is up to the challenge. Watching Yogi Ferrell match up with Tyler Ulis would be great. Would be an exciting game!

Cheers
Your pathetic has been program and its psychotic fanbase can stick it up their proverbial asses. CHEERS

Brings the basketball worlds attention to our area rather than the Carolinas.
You obviously don't watch espn or the sec network. UK does not need any help with national exposure in basketball. IU does. This is why you want the Kentucky game. This is why Glass is crawling back to Barnhart. Espn is going to promote unc cheat, dook, and UConn even if this game was renewed. UK should play notre dame or purdue. Iu can play ul or nd. BBN is doing fine without the Indiana fan base. IU would be the last school UK should be helping out. GBB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT