ADVERTISEMENT

The five qualities required in the next UK coach

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
From Mark Story. Can't disagree.

Otherwise, there are five qualities Kentucky should be seeking in its next men’s hoops head man:

1.) UK needs a coach who understands “modern basketball,” who is comfortable with an analytics-driven approach that features an open lane, a heavy reliance on the 3-point-line and a fast pace.
2.) Defensively, if Kentucky could find a coach who knows how to contain the high pick-and-roll, it would be such a refreshing change. 👍
3.) A coach with a viable recruiting plan to alter Kentucky’s image as a one-and-done factory and create older teams with greater roster continuity would be a godsend.
4.) Off the court, UK needs a coach with a personality that will embrace the “big top circus” that is the Kentucky basketball experience. It also needs a head man secure enough in what he believes not to wobble when things get rough in what is one of the most-scrutinized coaching jobs in American sports.
5.) It goes without saying that Kentucky should seek a men’s hoops leader who can return the Wildcats program to winning like UK is accustomed to winning — and do so in what is a far more competitive SEC than what the Cats have traditionally faced.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mark-story/article287477470.html#storylink=cpy

Reactions: UK67KU59
Agree with those. Sounds like Oats to me personally. I don't think Hurley wants to be anywhere else.

Reactions: kenton71
I think #3 is the most important.

IMO, Cal's lasting legacy will be to our detriment, and it will be that we are a quick stop to the NBA. The next coach may flounder and utterly fail, but if they can achieve #3 it'll give the following coach a real chance.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
would love to have a "senior night" with seniors I actually know about. As far as NIL. The so called five* will still be someone being bull sh**ed by friends and family with no knowledge of bb other than how great they were against other HS players. As far as other NIL players comming in. They have never played with the new team mates they now have. It takes years not months to bond.

would love to have a "senior night" with seniors I actually know about. As far as NIL. The so called five* will still be someone being bull sh**ed by friends and family with no knowledge of bb other than how great they were against other HS players. As far as other NIL players comming in. They have never played with the new team mates they now have. It takes years not months to bond.
Senior Night? Is that the thing Happy Chandler used to sing at? As I recall, that was pretty cool.

They had these big paper hoop thingys the guys ran through. I think the crowd yelled really loud.

Reactions: DS849
Senior night died with the birth of NIL. The likelihood of a player staying at one program for 3-4 yrs is virtually done. Sure you can have a few exceptions or a transfer that's a junior/senior, but there's not many who will stay in one place long enough to be worthy of a senior night celebration.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
1. Winning against rivals
2. Winning regular season games.
3. Winning the SEC tournament.
4. Winning in the NCAA tournament.
5. Winning always, in all ways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT