ADVERTISEMENT

Gyero- Derby week

I'm gonna pitch this to Nike. It's the same font as Werther's and the right color for PantoneCat.

sae%20pantone.jpg

*DA has spent too much time sipping cocktails with CRP. Cal is an all-inclusive guy but he doesn't take kindly to stepping outside la familia...I don't think DA is going to get much access to the program in the future. That's the price you pay when you put a guy on blast publicly that has brought us 4 FF's and a title. DA, you broke my heart.

Yup, DA should have known better. Did he learn nothing from Rex and Sean Woods? (although Sean Woods was right in his criticism)

Cal has pretty thick skin, but over the years if there is one thing it seems he gets a little pissy about, it's the assertion he's not a good game coach. Curious to see how this plays out.

Thanks, Beavis. Good color, it matches the trim on this site, which I like.

However, as for font, I've always liked the block K with the wide base, like on the old helmets. The taller K like on the baseball team's caps looks a little frail to me, and in danger of being toppled over.

Whereas the wide K with the broad base is a force to be reckoned with. It's bold and has a wide stance and far reach. It screams "power".

If UK is supposed to "own the state", that's what we need, not some hybrid H/K character that's obscured by the curve of the "U" like a small patch of sand being lapped over by a gentle wave from the sea.

A couple of random memories from Commonwealth as a youth:

The plastic cups on drinks used to have lids. Always remember the upper deck people trying to see if they could get them on the field. They'd be flying all over the place during games.

The breaking glass from bourbon bottles underneath the end zone seats. You could not walk by an end zone without hearing at least a few come crashing down.

Night home games when we wore all blue were the best.

This guy was good.

kovach.jpg

People used to love throwing toilet paper rolls when we scored a TD too.

BB version, they giant wildcat on stilts.

Have never understood the interest of being on stilts. Just seems like broken bones waiting to happen. Good for business I guess.

Wonder what happened to that guy that used to come around Thursday Night live on those things...

Does New England get another 'how was that guy still available' pick here?

Heck they probably have a guy targeted and will be able to trade back 10 or so spots and still get him.

Asked Marvin as much at the Bengals draft party.

He shut me down with the quickness. Said Bud wouldn't fit in Bengals D-scheme

Dinner at Andover last night was great, Steaks and Stogies, they brought in a handicapper to break down the Derby. He's pretty high on American Pharaoh (shocking).

Think my superfecta gonna be:

American Pharaoh
Bolo
Dortmund
Frosted

Crystal Ball predictions: Andover 40%, Greenbrier 35%, LCC 20%, IHCC 5%.

Last edited:
When Cal retires the clamoring to get BD back to college at UK will be immense. Just wait.
Still think when that happens in a few years smart UK fan's list will be

Marshall
Stevens
then BD

Billy has 4 FF's and 2 NT's at a football school. If he isn't at the top of your wish list when Cal leaves I question your college basketball.

There's too many houses at Andover for your game, Dr. Bob. One broken window or dented golf cart garage door is pardonable.

One a week, not so much.

Billy has 4 FF's and 2 NT's at a football school. If he isn't at the top of your wish list when Cal leaves I question your college basketball.
And Stevens went to 2 nat championship games at a program that doesnt even have a friggin football program

most UK friends I know like BD....but have a problem with a guy who has turned us down before, takes orders from Pitino like a mutt on a leash, & who we watch get beaten like a drum by UK many times (17-28) over the years.

Reactions: BristolCat
It's not just that the Bengals passed on a top rated guy, who plays a position/has a skillset the Bengals need, and I was obviously very biased towards, it's that they passed on him for a guy who won't even be able to practice until September. Ogbuhei (?) may turn out to be a franchise tackle as soon as next year, and that's great, but when you're drafting in the 20s and have been making the playoffs for awhile but not winning, maybe you take the guy who can in theory help from day 1? I dunno, just a thought...

I can accept the Pitino influence factor in regards to Billy, that's a legit gripe. Turning us down? Meh, doesn't bother me as much.

Let's see- have the 2nd least sacks in the NFL, but allow the 3rd fewest in the NFL... pass blocking OT or pass rushing DE/OLB?

Didn't the Bengals draft a guy who has a torn ACL and that they have to modify his lifting routine because he has a bad back and is not as strong as he needs to be? Sounds about right.

In my law school days up in Cinci I adopted the Bengals, having really no NFL loyalties outside of being a fins fan in my younger days. But, I quickly realized that my heart could not take the UK football/Bengals combo.

I guess I've gravitated to the Titans because there are so many fans of them in this area and I go to about a game a year. They suck too, but not in the in-your-face way that the Bengals do.

And now Jaylen Brown's 247 Crystal Ball is swinging back toward Michigan, with Little Bozich flipping his pick from UK to UM.

Good Lord kids are stupid.

My only real gripe with Donovan is that while he has had some great teams there are way too many that have basically been run by knucklehead gun happy guards.

Do people really take the Crystal Ball picks seriously? especially for a recruitment like Browns?

Wrong context but "18 year olds, dude."

- played basketball with the sub-25 set last night. Worn out this morning.

- asheville today with the gal.

- da Bulls. (Shamelessly ripped off from a shameless rip off)

- Donovan is a bad hire for us later because he has cited his tiredness with recruiting. No thanks. That sounds Tubby-esque. Not interested in sitting through a bunch Gerald Fitch sequels no matter how good the team ball ends up in year 4.

- Also Team Beavis on the Pitino front. That guy is just bitter so eff having one of his ass-lickers leading us. Stevens or Marshall. I think if Ainge plays his picks and signings well, Stevens may end up a Celtics lifer a la Sloan or Poppovich or the Original (Auerbach) (not in terms of coaching talent per se numbnuts)

Didn't the Bengals draft a guy who has a torn ACL and that they have to modify his lifting routine because he has a bad back and is not as strong as he needs to be? Sounds about right.
Sure did! And they turned down an offer from Arizona to trade back (still would have been able to draft Obenugei (?)), Arizona would have drafted Dupree (keep him out of the AFC North), and the Bengals would have gotten an extra pick!

The thing is, it's not like the Bengals suck anymore a la Cleveland, Oakland, Tennessee, etc.. They're competitive. They make the playoffs. They have a good roster. But they prefer to "maintain" and hope that the known pieces they have somehow make a leap.

Do people really take the Crystal Ball picks seriously? especially for a recruitment like Browns?
Yeah, I do. The "recruiting experts" who make the picks want to have a high success % for their credibility. Doesnt do their job much good to be 45% right on crystal ball entries. So they jump and make/switch predictions at the slightest inside info rumor in order to accurately pick where a kid goes.

Why wouldn't you? These people get paid to follow this stuff, and their livelihood depends partly on forecasting where these kids are going. Doesn't mean that they're definitely going to be correct, but they know a lot more about it than some randos on a message board.

I will say that if Donovan was at UK, he wouldn't have turned down Orlando. He'd definitely had had his fill of us by then.

I wanted the Bengals to draft an OL with their first rd pick…

Unless Bud Dupree or Shane Ray were still available. They both were and Mr. Brown decides to roll with an OT who would've been a top 10 pick if he wasn't broken.

Not as bad as when I was tending bar for a draft party at Head First and they drafted Chris Perry first. I made everyone go outside, cross the street to the entrance of Paul Brown Stadium and boo as loudly as they could.

Assholes.

Sorry, but I am not going to take a prediction seriously where 5 of the 6 predictors with Kentucky connections pick Kentucky and 10 out of the 11 predictors with Duke/UNC/IU/UofL/KU connections predict against Kentucky. Outside of a few national guys very few local writers are really connected to recruiting, and the connections they are going to have will be with kids they are actually recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT