ADVERTISEMENT

Gyero- Derby week

How comfortable would all you basketballs feel with a Mulder/Matthews combo at the 3 next year?

-Not sure it's a matter of comfort as much as it is a matter of necessity at this point, Chad. I just don't see any way around it, even if Murray does come. We all agree that AP is a 4, despite that experiment last year.

But I'd be fine with it. Mulder gives you scoring, Matthews can really defend.

-Didn't make it over to the EYBL, but sounds like an amazing weekend. Every top coach in town, 75 percent of the elite 2016/17 prospects, perfect way to show off Kentucky's love for hoops. Hope it's a mainstay.

-Derby, Draft, Avengers, etc.....shew, what a week.

-That video game thing last night on ESPN 2 was mesmerizing. From the crowd, to the players, to the announcers. It played out like a 2-hour SNL skit, but I couldn't take my eyes off it.

hope we bring in Mulder and let him actually do what he is great at; come off the bench & free will to jack it up numerous times from beyond the arc. or pretty much the exact opposite of Booker's use
:mad:
ah who am I kidding, he'll be out there trying to jam it down to Skal posting up on the block at the end of the shot clock. #CalPlow

the story on a recruit of UL's at EYBL was pretty entertaining. The kid, have no idea if he is top 10 or top 100, switched to a Nike AAU team from Adidas. Uh oh! And then a UL reporter tried to ask the kid about his interest in UL and one of the AAU coaches cut that line of questioning off. Double uh oh! So now we are back to the whole "shoe companies ruin honest non-cheating college basketball programs, Nike is out to get Pitino and UL, boycott Nike with our massive national fanbase to bankrupt them", etc.

Yet not one observation on how all the coaches in the country were in Lexington being seen by all the elite recruits, while their coach was apparently in Vegas throwing down with his crew.

-Pretty hard to count on a true freshman wing to be a big time defender.

-Great getaway weekend in Chicago. Been a while since we've been there with no plans around sports. Bavettes(best Chicago meal I've had), Topolabampo, Atwood, Eatly, Book of Mormon, hard core shopping, massage. Nice last get away before the baby. Kind of regret the BoM tickets instead of realizing the Hawks/Preds were playing and picking tickets up for that. Chicago is so awesome when they are in the sports mode. Nice buzz to the city.

-Morning started out with me knowing I had a huge blunder at work to deal with, 6am text regarding another, cat shit in the downstairs bath tub for me to clean up and left my wallet at home with my car on E. Rallying though.

-Weather this week looks RIDIC. AS good of a Derby Week forecast as it gets. Show out Louisville. I'll be out there Wednesday for a short bit, Friday and Saturday. LEGGO.

-Great episode of Mad Men last night. Two in a row.

- How much of a badass is Malik Monk? Want that kid bad...and perfect time for the Hogs to lose their two best players to the NBA just as their program was starting to build some momentum.

- Looking forward to the Cats going small next year. It's great having good bigs, but just look at the NBA. The Wizards best lineup has Paul Pierce at the 4.

- Floyd Mayweather- what a POS. I also love the hiphop terminology of saying "laying hands on" instead of beating women up.

Good episode of GoT last night. Really moving some stuff pretty quick along. Glad they got back to (SPOILER) decapitations. Long overdue for a good head chopping off.

Did watch Mad Men last night. Kinda feel like that could have been the series finale. I mean, I think everyone was just hanging on to see the resolution of the Lou Avery anime storyline.

Because I'm on Twitter, I watched some of that video game stuff on ESPN2 last night. Disclosure- I'm a dork. Play video games, mostly with the kids now, but still, thought I had a handle on what was going on in the nerd streets. Have NO idea what that was. Is that what happens now instead of Madden or Tiger Woods tourneys in college now? But I'll be damned if it didn't suck you in as a viewer.

So I got signed up for an actual softball team this year. Had to go buy cleats since my HS football cleats from 1994 were kinda disintegrating. FYI- Dick's now offers in-house glove steaming, didn't ask about bat rolling. Leave that to the dedicated pros IMO.

If my school was paying its basketball coach almost $5,000,000 a year and there was an AAU event close to campus, I'd probably appreciate it if he re-scheduled his Vegas trip with the boys to maybe a different weekend. But that's just me. Blame the shoe companies though.

- Floyd Mayweather- what a POS. I also love the hiphop terminology of saying "laying hands on" instead of beating women up.

Vegas is so geared up for this fight. Rooms are outrageous, most of the good hotels are over $1000. Word was that ringside seats going for 30-40ko_O

Really, really like Bud Dupree and it's going to be cool to see a UK player go top 10 if he does BUT...

... his stock is going up based on workouts, and that never seems to work out for a good, long NFL career, especially at DE/LBs. Would almost rather see him slide a bit and get on a better team with less expectations personally and not be a bust.

Pretty cool write-up on the '90 Reds reunion from Daugherty, focusing on Norm Charlton. What a ball team.

That was back in the prime of my baseball fandom. Still remember watching Opening Day in class. Still remember starting the the year 8-0. Still remember when we clinched; Davis' homerun off Stewart; Oliver's double and Billy Bates; and my idiot dad taking us little kids to Fountain Square when we completed the Sweep.

Never seen either of these idiots throw a punch. Don't anticipate that changing this weekend.

Derby Randoms

-Missing Derby to attend a wedding in New York. Leave Thursday night. I mean, I'm fairly sick about this. Whatever.

-If you've never seen the sunset on Central Avenue the first Saturday in May then I am not sure if you've ever truly experienced Derby.

There's stranded, and then there's Derby stranded. Rite of passage, IMO.

-My folks let me attend Oaks infield at a pretty early age but not Derby until 8th grade.

-Traffic on the way to Derby is a good thing. There is no sweeter voyage than the drive to Derby... suited up, strong buzz, excitement everywhere, wallet full of cash... About as good as it gets.

-2 to 3 beers and then I typically switch to Mint Juleps at the track. Punish those until it's time to leave.

-Really like all the back-slapping and camaraderie that goes with being around good groups in your box. That's a critical, critical component to Derby IMO. Nothing worse than being surrounded by a bunch of stiffs. Never understood why those people even bother going.

-I've sat damn near everywhere at Churchill on Derby Day and had the most fun at 1st floor clubhouse and 3rd floor (no clubhouse). I think the 3rd floor clubhouse is a bit overrated with the new pavilion added behind the general 3rd floor boxes (which is dope as touch).

-Best Derby songs? Dead Flowers has to be #1.

-I've always enjoyed being around/seeing non-Kentuckians singing MOKH. They try, but you can tell they don't really get it. Appreciate the genuine effort, however.

From marketwatch.com...

Research suggests that happiness over the course of our lives is U-shaped, with our satisfaction deteriorating through our 20s and 30s, hitting bottom in our 40s and then bouncing back from there.

What causes the decline in our happiness during our early adult years? We don’t know for sure. It might be the stress of juggling work and home life, or it could be the gradual realization that we won’t fulfill all of our youthful ambitions

#ItGetsBetter

- Thanks, SAE, for the Derby post. Bout time. It's F'ing Derby week and GYERO's given us nothing. Are we not a Kentucky board, by gawd?

- My #1 favorite thing about the Derby- the buzz, the electricity in the air in Louisville. It's palpable.

- #1 most-interesting thing about the Derby- the zombie-like feel of everyone by Saturday night out at the bars. It's just like everyone is spent. Completely different feel than Friday night.

- I have a bachelor party- golf trip- all weekend. Can't wait and I won't even be golfing. It's just so rare you get to party with your old crew these days. Everybody's married, has kids, lives somewhere else, etc. Always great to enjoy a nice throwback weekend with the idiots who inspired your 20s.

- My 1st cousin (female) is getting married in October. She and her fiance were flying somewhere this weekend for a mini-vacation or one of her college hens got married . . . whatever. Anyhow, her fiance gets a free upgrade to 1st class, just him, and TAKES IT, leaving my cuz back in coach! All balls! Welcome to the family, my man!!

- Derby. Love it. Love SAE's post. Good stuff. It's my one (and seemingly only) day to get a little irresponsible. I've been attending a backyard event here for the past 15 years and LOVE IT! Free juleps, free food, friendly wagering, HUGE Calcutta on all the horses, and live music. Weather looks to be outstanding as well.

Guess I did the Oaks back in 2010 with Pti (quite a hilarious experience), but can't remember the last time I went to Derby...after my pleasant experience with Louisville this March, I've decided to make Derby a priority in my schedule next year. All of it, the whole week of events. Go big or go home.

Good Morning:

:: A tailgating buddy has a nice place in Simpsonville with lots of space and boys of similar age to fylm 2.0. Lots of toys and outdoor space for the kids to run and play. Huge HD screen to watch the races. Twin Spires set up and ready to go. Lots of good food. This Derby Party has become a fixture on the calendar. All around great day that actually got me back into caring about the Derby again.

:: Meat counter at Costco FTW. Spent around $60 on 10lb choice whole boneless beef short ribs, 7.5lb pork loin, and 13lb chicken thighs. Roughly 30lbs of meat for an average price of $2/lb. The way the market is now I'll take it. That will last the three of us a couple months.

:: New gas grill on the horizon. Weber Genesis is the leader in the clubhouse at the moment. Hard to knock 700+ five star reviews.

:: Huge props to the KBA crew for this weekend. The EYBL in Lexington needed to be a thing and now it needs to stay that way.

:: I too am enjoying how GoT has come out of the gates. Looks like things get kicked into gear big time next week. Less development and more action. I like it.

:: For the life of me I cannot figure out why folks freak out about basketball recruiting as long as Cal is the man in charge. His reliability in this arena rivals Rolex Watches or Charlie Watts keeping a beat.

:: Like the new look. Rivals was due an update.

Reactions: Wildcat Willy
The biggest cause of contention in my parents divorce was the derby tickets. Same seats since the late 70's, and neither one wanted to budge. They settled with each taking 2 of the 4 seats for Oaks and Derby Day. They would never again attend (in those seats) for the 7-8 years post divorce, they just wanted to make sure the other never had complete control over them. More often they were just given to my sister and I to go with whomever. 2 years ago, without any notice to her children, my mother (who received the annual invoice and ticket info) opted to forfeit her right to them. It was shortly after her mother passed away and she was an emotional mess. Made a decision that would impact her children forever, and I wont soon forgive her for that.

I havent been back to Derby since then. I've never sat anywhere else (infield excluded). Not sure I want to. Even worse, this year is the first time we have absolutely no plans at all for Derby. It's sickening. No guests coming over, no impromptu Derby party at the house, etc... I'm a bit out of sorts.

I never could get behind the Fogleberg derby tune. Maybe because it was terrible. But i never turned the channel if it was on the radio that few times throughout Derby Week.

The worst (or best) Derby Day involved an infield trip my senior year of high school. The combination of everclear, bourbon, warm budwesiers, and whatever else we drank got the best of me. EMT's found me out cold on a stranger's blanket. After giving me some ipecac like substance to force me to puke, a crowd began to apparently gather round to watch the show. One of those happened to be my sister. She phoned my folks (still married at the time) who were in their seats, and EMT's gave them the run down of my condition as i sat in the back of an ambulance. When asked if they wanted to come over and pick me up in the infield, my father apparently told them "No. No we're fine right here." and that was the end of the conversation. Hours after the last race, my sister finally got me to a cab and got me home. My day was obviously a total loss, but i'd unfortunately screwed up hers as well. I really dont recall any of it... what I do remember is my father waking me up early the next day and forcing me to go to work (at effing Sears). I wont forget the condescending tone of him mocking me. It may have been my lowest point.

10/10 there from SAE. The derby stranded is truly a unique experience. A few years got separated from our group ended up at some 80 year old ladys house on the backside where her degenerate grandson was selling beers in the front yard. We chatted, she offered me a sandwich, I declined and her grandson drove me to Highlands for $60 cash in a 80's Lincoln. The rush of reuniting with your friends randomly at a bar is unique derby experience as well.

Never seen either of these idiots throw a punch. Don't anticipate that changing this weekend.

Derby Randoms

-Missing Derby to attend a wedding in New York. Leave Thursday night. I mean, I'm fairly sick about this. Whatever.

-If you've never seen the sunset on Central Avenue the first Saturday in May then I am not sure if you've ever truly experienced Derby.

There's stranded, and then there's Derby stranded. Rite of passage, IMO.

-My folks let me attend Oaks infield at a pretty early age but not Derby until 8th grade.

-Traffic on the way to Derby is a good thing. There is no sweeter voyage than the drive to Derby... suited up, strong buzz, excitement everywhere, wallet full of cash... About as good as it gets.

-2 to 3 beers and then I typically switch to Mint Juleps at the track. Punish those until it's time to leave.

-Really like all the back-slapping and camaraderie that goes with being around good groups in your box. That's a critical, critical component to Derby IMO. Nothing worse than being surrounded by a bunch of stiffs. Never understood why those people even bother going.

-I've sat damn near everywhere at Churchill on Derby Day and had the most fun at 1st floor clubhouse and 3rd floor (no clubhouse). I think the 3rd floor clubhouse is a bit overrated with the new pavilion added behind the general 3rd floor boxes (which is dope as touch).

-Best Derby songs? Dead Flowers has to be #1.

-I've always enjoyed being around/seeing non-Kentuckians singing MOKH. They try, but you can tell they don't really get it. Appreciate the genuine effort, however.

Rack em and add...

-Wasn't allowed out until junior year.

-I'll take a sunrise on Baxter Ave as a close 2nd to the Sunset on Central.

-Nothing like the feeling of Derby Morning though. Running up to the liquor store to grab last minute supplies, programs and ice.

-I lay off the Juleps for the most part, mixing a drunk Anth full of sugar and whiskey is a bad combo. Kind of like give a Mogwai water or food after midnight. No good can come from it.

-Already have anxiety from not having a secure ride Friday afternoon. Smarty Jones year, also incredible monsoon and infield lake year, I was stranded in the cab line until about 8p. Think we eventually paid some random redneck to drive us home. Walked downtown, to Deja Vu, walked to 4th, walked to Shively in other years.

Good Morning:

:: New gas grill on the horizon. Weber Genesis is the leader in the clubhouse at the moment. Hard to knock 700+ five star reviews.

Picked up the E-330 model a few weeks ago, love the thing despite still working out the kinks. I mean, my last grill was some busted out 3 legged hand-me-down that couldn't maintain constant temperature, so the Genesis is a modern marvel with an element of witchcraft by comparison.

I was skeptical of the searing station and how much use I'd have for it, but it absolutely delivered on its initial bone-in ribeye test run.

Costly item but you of all people will get your money's worth with it.

Reactions: fylm
I think the true experience of Derby Stranded has been softened with the improvement of cell phones, etc. Last infield I went to was probably '98 or so and if you had a cell then, it didn't work in the infield.

Having your group of 12+ get split up, no real means of communication, and still all winding up back at the house where you started 14 hours earlier gives me hope that some day we'll find a way to manage peace in the Middle East.

-I lay off the Juleps for the most part, mixing a drunk Anth full of sugar and whiskey is a bad combo. Kind of like give a Mogwai water or food after midnight. No good can come from it.

So you would multiply?

- watched "the sixth man", non ginger haired Travis ford terrible acting edition. Thought it was done well, I would LOVE to hang with Steve Zahn during games

- Stephen a smith being Stephen A Smith "you're a women, you should feel that way" regarding being against domestic violence. How do he and Colin Cowherd still have jobs at ESPN

10/10 there from SAE. The derby stranded is truly a unique experience. A few years got separated from our group ended up at some 80 year old ladys house on the backside where her degenerate grandson was selling beers in the front yard. We chatted, she offered me a sandwich, I declined and her grandson drove me to Highlands for $60 cash in a 80's Lincoln. The rush of reuniting with your friends randomly at a bar is unique derby experience as well.

Ha... good call. And hearing about how your friends made it back was always fantastic.

They usually started with "I thought they were going to jump or kill us," and ended with "but they invited us into their house and we ended up smoking with them."

Just a series of bad decisions.

-Is there a way to post that doesn't make it the last post in the thread? B/c I swear either I'm scrolling past OR their appearing out of sequence.

-Cell phones help but then you have coverage issues, dead batteries plus dealing with a bunch of REALLY intoxicated people communicating without any way for a real solution.

The reckless throwing around of cash on Derby weekend is something to behold. Almost like its a sin to wake up sunday with anything more than loose change and losing bet slips.

My junior year in high school I experienced the stranded deal post Derby. Ishfaced off warm screwdrivers & Beam & Coke that we snuck into the infield my buddy and I lost our crew near Central. Wondered aimlessly on Taylor Blvd until we decided we needed more crispies so we landed upon a Thorton's.

Sat in the lot somewhat confused as what to do while huffing down Marbloro Mediums as things grew more & more primitive... Bass pumping, the smell of weed, panhandlers everywhere, etc. Finally asked some bro if he would give us a ride back to the East End for 30 bucks . He agreed. By the time we hit the Watterson my man & his gal were blazing a blunt. Partook in the activity & then everything started spinning. Made it safely to my buddy's parents where I proceeded to vomit in their backyard & pass out. Youth.

Guess I did the Oaks back in 2010 with Pti (quite a hilarious experience), but can't remember the last time I went to Derby...after my pleasant experience with Louisville this March, I've decided to make Derby a priority in my schedule next year. All of it, the whole week of events. Go big or go home.

You didn't mention being in Vegas in this post..

With an SUV or open bed truck you could probably make a ton of money running people around town. More often than not my random Derby rides came from people doing that. There's a point in every instance where the amount is irrelevant b/c you're so drunk and tired from a full week partying and closing in on the post Derby zombie death.

-Doing a full week is probably a bit much. Hell even in college we didn't really start to pick up until Wing Ding(German-American Club) on Wednesday. Thursday at the Track and out on the town is my favorite day/night combo. My suggestion is to ride up Thursday if you want several days. Walk around or Gen Admin except for Derby.

-That setup they had down at Pheonix Hill, Brewery, HAND/BAR back in the early 00's was amazing. Shut down the whole area and turned into a massive bar/club.

-I'm one of the few that seems to prefer Derby to Oaks at the track. Everyone says it's better, for the locals, etc. Hogwash. If I'm dealing with that many people give me the main event.

-If you haven't bought or bummed beer off a southend porch/sidewalk you haven't actually been to the Derby. Using their bathroom is the following step and eating with them either on the porch or back patio is the culmination. First two years or crew stayed at a house at the 2nd/3rd St split. 75 yards from the entrance. Back then we'd walk in with a case of beer covered with a shirt. Walking through the tunnel :cool:

The big dominoes are about to fall. Hopefully some good news this week. I hate that Duke and UNC are chasing #6 this year with what should be strong teams, we need to combat that.

I have a buddy in Louisville who is good friends with the heir of Pat's Steakhouse /no-80proof. He used to come down to the backyard Derby Bash I mentioned earlier, but he stays in Louisville now driving around the patrons of Pat's post-Derby. It's mainly the horse guys. Two years ago, he got to hang with Shug McGaughey after Orb's win. He says he can make about $1,500-$2,000 driving these guys around on Derby night. Nuts.

Picked up the E-330 model a few weeks ago, love the thing despite still working out the kinks. I mean, my last grill was some busted out 3 legged hand-me-down that couldn't maintain constant temperature, so the Genesis is a modern marvel with an element of witchcraft by comparison.

I was skeptical of the searing station and how much use I'd have for it, but it absolutely delivered on its initial bone-in ribeye test run.

Costly item but you of all people will get your money's worth with it.

We're making a wood fired rocket stove/grill in the shop right now.

Just in case you guys were wondering what Darko Milic is up to these days.

fmbkx3za7xexsnx4ow7d.gif

Important to remember that at 29 years old, Milicic is the youngest Serbian to play for 6 NBA teams and then retire to become a kickboxer. You can look that up but i'm pretty sure its accurate.

ADVERTISEMENT