roguemocha

All-American
Jan 30, 2007
Key West
What have you read you loved?

What are you reading now?

What do you have coming up?

Just read:
The Wager-Dunn (Killers Of The Flower Moon*)
The River We Remember-Krueger (This Tinder Land, same authors*).

All very good and recommend.

Currently reading:
Lost City Of Z-Dunn again
Audible True Believer-Carr, of the Terminal List series. I’ve read 3 of those.

On deck:
The Finders-French
Weyward-Hart
Haven’t read either of these authors before but have heard good things.

Will be hitting Joseph Beth when I get back to Lex for a week or so starting tomorrow.

My favorite read in the last few years has been the four part Wolves of Yellowstone books by Rick McIntyre. He was a big part of the reintroduction of wolves to the area. I think they are called, The Rise of Wolf 8, the Reign of Wolf 21, the Redemption of Wolf 302, and the Alpha Female Wolf.

Wolf 21 is the biggest, baddest, smartest wolf that there has ever been!

Sounds like something I’d like, wolves are really interesting.
The author is a ranger at the park that has literally spent his life observing the various packs around the park. He kept stats and at one two or three year period, he had been out so observe them every single day. No one loves anything like he loves the wolves.

Currently reading El Chapo. I have read alot on Chapo and the drug trade in Mexico over the years. This book has some new insight though that is interesting.

Just finished Going Infinite by Michael Lewis on Sam Bankman-Fried. Good read on FTX and the cluster it turned out to be.

In line are Elon Musk new book, Barkley: A biography and Heat 2.

Don Winslow is a phenomenal writer (absolutely hate his takes on politics and he blocked me on twitter b/c of it) but he wrote The Cartel, The Power of the Dog, The Border, The Force, Savages, etc. All A++ books.

Just finished Heaven and Earth Grocery Store that won numerous Book of the Year awards. Don't understand the hype at all, too many side character chapters that demolished the pacing of the plot, didn't enjoy the book in the slightest. Gonna start Matthew Perry's (RIP) memoir once I have some down time.

Reactions: roguemocha
Savages was awesome I need to read more of his stuff, thanks for the reminder.

Just added those to my GoodReads Want To Read Shelf, 🙏
Currently reading El Chapo. I have read alot on Chapo and the drug trade in Mexico over the years. This book has some new insight though that is interesting.

Just finished Going Infinite by Michael Lewis on Sam Bankman-Fried. Good read on FTX and the cluster it turned out to be.

In line are Elon Musk new book, Barkley: A biography and Heat 2.

Don Winslow is a phenomenal writer (absolutely hate his takes on politics and he blocked me on twitter b/c of it) but he wrote The Cartel, The Power of the Dog, The Border, The Force, Savages, etc. All A++ books.

Reactions: BankerCat12
Savages was awesome I need to read more of his stuff, thanks for the reminder.

Just added those to my GoodReads Want To Read Shelf, 🙏
Make sure to read Power of the Dog and Cartel in order...I think its this way but could be reversed. Every book I have read of his has been great. He just came out with two new lines of books that I have ready to read as well. The Force and Border should have movies made after them. Supposedly Power of the Dog/Cartel was going to and then Covid happened.

Forgot to add The Spy and the Traitor by Ben Macintyre. Finished it two months ago and a great read. I have added Macintyre to my list of other books I need to read by him.

Just finished "My Effin Life" by Geddy Lee. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Of course, I'm a Rush nerd.

Fifty-nine in ‘84 about Charles Radbourn who holds the single season wins record.

All time favorites:

* The Stand
* The Dark Tower series
* The Talisman
I hope that someday Prime, Netflix or HBO will do a series of these that span multiple seasons. These stories are far too sprawling with so many great characters for a 2 hour movie or mini series to do them justice.

Last few books:

Hillbilly Elegy - Loved it because I've known and been kin to the people in this book. They just have different names.

Death In Mud Lick: A Coal Country Fight Against the Drug Companies That Delivered the Opioid Epidemic

Night Comes to the Cumberlands: A Biography of a Depressed Area

Coal Wars: The Future of Energy and Fate of the Planet

Numerous Stephen King works, including short stories. I'm a big fan of King and his dark humor,

Currently reading "A fever in the Heartland"

It's about the 2nd iteration of the KKK in the 20s and the man who raised it in Indiana, and his plan to infiltrate federal politics, then how they were finally brought to their knees

All time favorites:

* The Stand
* The Dark Tower series
* The Talisman
I hope that someday Prime, Netflix or HBO will do a series of these that span multiple seasons. These stories are far too sprawling with so many great characters for a 2 hour movie or mini series to do them justice.

Last few books:

Hillbilly Elegy - Loved it because I've known and been kin to the people in this book. They just have different names.

Death In Mud Lick: A Coal Country Fight Against the Drug Companies That Delivered the Opioid Epidemic

Numerous Stephen King works, including short stories. I'm a big fan of King and his dark humor,
Hillbilly Elegy was very good.

Reactions: JDHoss
Sounds like something I’d like, wolves are really interesting.
Since you liked this post and my post about a dog book, plus it seems like I saw a post of yours awhile back about getting a pet (I may be confused), if you are considering a dog: There are detailed questionnaires you can find online that will make suggestions about the type of dog that best fits your personality and lifestyle.

If you into music an interesting and good book is Dave Grohl's book "The Storyteller". From the book he seems like a guy you could just sit down and talk to and a Great family man.

All time favorites:

* The Stand
* The Dark Tower series
* The Talisman

Last few books:

In regard to Death in Mud Lick....read Empire of Pain . The Sackler Family founded Oxy and great read.

Reactions: JDHoss
I almost finished Lost City Of Z in one day lol. Have like 50 pages to go but will knock that out tomorrow since I’m driving all day.

Next is Weyward or the Finders.

Just finished Weyward and starting with a new author for myself but heard great things, Tana French’s The Searcher.

The Little Liar By Mitch Album ... I dont read much , but I never ever miss a book of his . This one is wonderfully written and I highly recommend it . Author is a great human .

Just finished Jack Carr’s True Believer (book 2 in Terminal List series) on audible on the way to WV, great book. I accidentally listened to 2 & 3 out of order but it didn’t really matter.

The Devil’s Hand (book 4) already started and will be dialed up for my trip back to Georgetown tomorrow.

This series is great if you like stories about Operators.

I used to subscribe to Audible but I just don’t drive enough in St Pete to warrant it, I won’t get through a 14 hour book every month.

Just finished Jack Carr’s True Believer (book 2 in Terminal List series) on audible on the way to WV, great book. I accidentally listened to 2 & 3 out of order but it didn’t really matter.

The Devil’s Hand (book 4) already started and will be dialed up for my trip back to Georgetown tomorrow.

This series is great if you like stories about Operators.

I used to subscribe to Audible but I just don’t drive enough in St Pete to warrant it, I won’t get through a 14 hour book every month.
I gotta give you props, you can read books with astonishing speed. Out of curiosity, how many do you think you've read in your lifetime?

I have zero idea man. I literally give them away to friends that I know will read them after I’m finished, so I don’t have a library more than 20-30 books probably.

I’ll keep some favorites and ones my Mom gets signed by the author for me.

I wish I had hopped in the GoodReads app before this Christmas. That’s a cool way of keeping track of them and easily finding one you want to reference/recommend a friend.

And to be fair, I’m not working right now so I’ve had more time than usual. I’m not usually reading 3 books a day week.

Ordered and received the Power of the Dog series, shewboy those are some long ones ha! Looking forward to starting them but have to finish up The Searcher first.
Interested to see what you think. You have read DW books before so you know its going to be very well done.

Power of the Dog (not the series) was a fantastic novel. Most folks have probably seen the film before they read the 1967 book, which is a shame.

I'll just post a "Clown Summer Reading List"

Crime and Punishment - Dostoevsky

Breakfast of Champions - Vonnegut

Gatsby - Fitzgerald

The Stranger - Camus

Jude the Obscure - Hardy

Lardner on Baseball (Ring Lardner, is becoming less and less known, which is a shame, because he was one of the greats) - Ring Lardner

Portnoy's Complaint (think of it as a well written Catcher in the Rye) - Roth

Power of the Dog (not the series) was a fantastic novel. Most folks have probably seen the film before they read the 1967 book, which is a shame.

I'll just post a "Clown Summer Reading List"

Crime and Punishment - Dostoevsky

Breakfast of Champions - Vonnegut

Gatsby - Fitzgerald

The Stranger - Camus

Jude the Obscure - Hardy

Lardner on Baseball (Ring Lardner, is becoming less and less known, which is a shame, because he was one of the greats) - Ring Lardner

Portnoy's Complaint (think of it as a well written Catcher in the Rye) - Roth
I was going through my Gma’s library earlier and thought I had seen Crime & Punishment so I went back to snag it on your rec.

Unfortunately, it was War & Remembrance.

I did pull a very old hardcover copy of For Whom The Bell Tolls and Fail-Safe by the author who wrote The Ugly American which wasn’t bad so I figured I’d try it.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Do yourself a favor. If it says Hemingway on the spine, toss it in the trash, where it belongs.

Life is too short/precious, to waste it reading Hemingway. LOL

Haha I actually got that because it was old and will look good with the two book shelves of super old books I have for decoration in my living room.

I’ve never read any of them, they just look cool. And yes I’ve tried Hemingway in the past and wasn’t a fan.

Dickens is a dull and dreary too.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Nothing worse than patiently waiting for a new book by an author and being disappointed. Lou Berney's Dark Ride is a classic example. After The Long and Faraway Gone and November Road this book was just mediocre. Jane Harper really went south after her excellent books The Dry and The Lost Man. She sold out. Phoned them in. More like made-for-tv.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT