ADVERTISEMENT

Books!

Bad take Glenn. I am going to bet that you receive mail daily, all of which was printed. Packaging like cereal boxes, dog food bags, junk food bags and anything with nutritional information it have all been printed. Those things aren't going away like encyclopedias and phone books.
OK, so we know you haven't seen the original Ghostbusters.

Reading the 2nd book of Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy. 1st book was really good but not great, but the 2nd seems to be going better.

This series was part of the inspiration for GRR Martin for Song of Ice and Fire. You can definitely see where George got lots of ideas from. I'm looking forward to the ending of the series since George is never finishing his.

Reading the 2nd book of Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy. 1st book was really good but not great, but the 2nd seems to be going better.

This series was part of the inspiration for GRR Martin for Song of Ice and Fire. You can definitely see where George got lots of ideas from. I'm looking forward to the ending of the series since George is never finishing his.
Read all three recently. Very good trilogy although it got bogged down a little at times. The third in the series may have been the best but it is about 1100 pages long. There is also a second trilogy with the same characters placed 20-30 years further in time.

Last edited:
Got 6 books off Amazon two night ago and delivered earlier today.

Endurance which was mentioned above
Into the Abyss
Lost City of Z mentioned above
Shadow Catcher (I love to read on Mexican cartels. This is an infiltration of a cartel)
Don Winslow (Neal Carey series 2 and 3) Winslow is a phenomenal writer.

Think I am going to read Into the Abyss first

Reactions: JDHoss
I used to read a LOT - slowly but several titles simultaneously fm 3-4 themes

"Marked for Death" - - James Hamilton Paterson

Describes the nascent aviation / aeronautics industry as it evolved during WW1

Goes fm the wright brothers historic flight & their wing design + hyper litigious stance w-trying to protect their ideas/IP to the extent NO ONE else could manufacture or produce similar craft

Hits on specific conditions existing in multiple countries as the war ignited increased demand for aircraft

They went from intending to use aircraft as surveillance for enemy movements - to countering zeppelins, taking out observation balloons, then shooting down other planes & bombing ground targets

Talks through labor conditions in England and their dependence on US street & French made aircraft engines - unsafe conditions in the factories + high drug/alcohol/suicide rates for the mostly female workers

French / Germans both lay claim to inventing the timing mech allowing machine guns facing forward and not harming the propellers

Americans first to communicate a telegraph signal fm an aircraft to a receiving ground station (1911 )

Germans adopted superior attack and ambush tactics - their brightly painted "Flying Circus" - higy effect -

Belgium had a pilot known as the best balloon-buster --- taking out enemy observation balloons was risky..... .often included anti-air fire -- and the Germans found a way to include flame throwers on theirs ---- but he was credited with eliminating 36

It said he sometimes landed his PLANE on an observation balloon as an elusive maneuver to avoid enemy aircraft

Germans first to build strong enough engines so they could add armor around the pilot cockpit - allowing a larger bomber design (brits used frying pans under their bums sometimes)

Guns often jammed, taking small toolkits up and making your own repairs was common - not unusual at all for the second flyer (observation) to hang out the plane making repairs or crawl out to the rigging/wings

The industry advanced so rapidly between 1911-1919 that its hard to comprehend -

About halfway through it - its more detailed & supply chain-engineering flavored than it is casual historical descriptions of the aircraft

Overlooked historical period
Undervalued chapter and pedigree of aircraft

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT