ADVERTISEMENT

Gyero- Derby week

derrick_miller2.jpg

the backwards flag pisses the birthday boy off more than anything.
How's our luck been since they did it? NIT, crushing loss to a shit UCONN team, crushing disappointment loss to Wisky. Rest my case. Turn the f*cker around like it's supposed to be.

i think we should switch to new balance, asics, or saucony.
Hooka is looking to get into college athletics. Can you imagine the injury reduction we'd have playing all sports in those things? Legggo!!

All teams, all surfaces and beginning next year all gear iirc

Worst month for UK in the Cal Era.

I expect sometime before midnight the ghost of Adolph Rupp to rise and ride to Rupp Arena on Secretariat, state he is disappointed with the program and set the building on fire.

That'd be ironic. The one player who I went on record saying I'm glad he's going elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me though. Kid wants to be the show and there will be plenty of time and shots for him.

Ulis, Briscoe, Brown, Skal, Poythress

That's a damn good line up with Lee, Hawkins, Mulder and Mathews.

Still think he goes to Michigan.

New UA unis:

(1) Pappy's picture on the helmets
(2) A Wildcat (with penis tongue) on the crotch
(3) Claws sticking up out of the shoulder pads
(4) Cleats with fur
(4) "Kentucky" written in Comic Sans
(5) A horse tail attached to pants to represent horse racing tradition
(6) Brown unis to represent bourbon tradition
(7) Food stamp stripes down pants to represent massive poverty tradition
(8) Mouthpieces made of coal to represent black lung tradition

WE MUST PROTECT THIS OLD KENTUCKY HOME!

If Brown announces today, he's going to Michigan. If it's tomorrow, UK.

Based soley on the fact that April of 2015 can EAD and DIAF and GP.

It's looking like SAE's obligatory 'BILL CURRY COULD DRESS LIKE A BOSS! BTW, NICE GRAY NYLON HAT, STOOPS WTF???' pics may come a bit early this year.

Usually we see them come across August in prep for the opener. Always enjoy those.

Reactions: SAECATFAN
bill curry pretty much had all of the "it" factors for being a great sec coach.....except for actually being able to coach.

CM didn't have the nuts to hire Howard after Curry got canned. Howard was available after getting fired at Oklohoma & did everything short of wipe Newton's ass expressing interest in the job.

Great coach, former AA at UK, Byrabt disciple, South Florida contacts and the mother toucher had swag before swag.

Hiring Mumme after Curry was forward thinking an innovative. Trying to establish UK as a wide open high scoring spread offensive team was a decade ahead of our times. But not requiring him to fill out his staff with veteran SEC recruiters and a talented defensive coordinator showed CM's incompetence and ignorance of how to build a football program.

I'll go to my grave knowing that UK should have hired Howard away from UL instead of Curry in '89, and in not doing so we pissed away a ton of entertaining wins & at least 1 SEC Championship in the 1990's.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
I'll go to my grave knowing that UK should have hired Howard away from UL instead of Curry in '89, and in not doing so we pissed away a ton of entertaining wins & at least 1 SEC Championship in the 1990's.
Hold on now.

Not saying Schnellenberger wouldn't have done well, but let's look at the teams that won SEC Championships in the 90s and what kind of program/coach UK and Schnell were then.

UK: historically shit program, no recruiting base, no expectations of winning
Schnellenberger- clearly a great program builder, but look what happened when he moved to a big conference with OU in '95. UK would have likely improved and been on a much better foundation (as compared to Mumme) but I doubt it would have been enough to quickly overtake:

1990- UT (probably the weakest of the following group, but pretty sure UK wasn't going to win the SEC in Schellenberger's first year)

1991- Hey! It's Spurrier vs. Schnelly! 2 second year coaches! Only UK had a roster that, even with some sophomores maybe that were good if we all of a sudden started pulling Miami's recruits away, went 3-8 (0-7).

1992- Alabama. This team won the national title. Pretty sure they would beat a 3rd year CHS team.

1993--96- Steve Spurrier (Optimus Prime Edition). Again, maybe we don't lose 73-0, but that was a rolling program.

1997- UT, Peyton Manning's SR year. We lost 59-21 with Tim Couch and were cheating pretty good by then.

1998- UT, and this team won the national title as well. Nope.

1999- Alabama, I dunno, maybe Shaun Alexander comes to UK and we're rolling by then. But still had a thin roster that lost to Syracuse in the MCB that year.

Again- I agree that UK football would have improved and it would have been fun to see them do so by stealing UL's head coach, but generally speaking the SEC title gets won by a handful (6 teams have won it from 1990 through last year) of programs for a reason, and I don't think UK is vaulting those teams in 10 years in the 1990s.

Reading that and seeing it basically how our parents reference the 60's and 70's made me want to start carrying a cane and say "sonny" all the time.

Schnelly was an innovator in recruiting great Florida talent and bringing it north to UL. At the time in the late 80's/early 90's nobody was doing that. That 1990 UL team he built that waxed Bama in the Fiesta was loaded with future NFLers. You can't bring up his '95 disastrous 1 yr at Oklahoma. They hated him because he was an outsider to the region.

He would have gotten even better Florida athletes to come play SEC football at UK. And Max's breakdown is great, just thinking about Howard having UK go toe to toe with Fulmer & Superior instead of 50-0 73-3 debacles when those 2 were in their primes would have been spectacular. and he WOULD have build a UK team that won the East, played in Atlanta, & was victorious. Once, during those 10 years, it woulda happened.

Reading that and seeing it basically how our parents reference the 60's and 70's made me want to start carrying a cane and say "sonny" all the time.
Me too. Felt like I was addressing some young whipper snapper that doesn't remember when Steve Spurrier used to stomp mudholes.

A couple of random memories from Commonwealth as a youth:

The plastic cups on drinks used to have lids. Always remember the upper deck people trying to see if they could get them on the field. They'd be flying all over the place during games.

The breaking glass from bourbon bottles underneath the end zone seats. You could not walk by an end zone without hearing at least a few come crashing down.

Night home games when we wore all blue were the best.

This guy was good.

kovach.jpg

I love talking to the college basketballs at work who are 22-25 year old engineers and when I mention Antoine Walker, Tony Delk, or even that we won in '96 and '98, im met with "who knew" looks.

1998. Amazing being on campus that year.

Meh on Donovan hire. Brooks was an awful coach at times but he did nearly win a title. If Westbrook and Durant bolt in free agency because of Donovan it's bad obviously. I think he'll be fine as long as he doesn't fall into the Calipari (and maybe Pitino) trap of treating men like kids.

Oh and new max on bench today. Did I mention I had a steroid shot in my left shoulder? I'm an idiot.

how about you stop bitching about bitching.
Act like a man, randoms...

*We are getting one of Brown and Murray. And if not, touch it. I'm bullish on next year's squad after landing an athletic shooter. Add one of those guys and we are one of the top 3 teams in college bball. Without them we are still a dark horse title contender. Don't give me any of this glass ceiling shit when we have watched two mediocre UConn teams (with good backcourts) take home the hardware in the last 5 years.

*I can't believe the angst over a "K". Regardless, bring back the power K helmets...it screams football to me. We might play like a MAC school but we don't have to look the part as well. At least the unis from the 80's and 90's looked SEC caliber...we posed to be SEC!

*Don't care one way or another if they checker the endzone.

*Small derby party here in town with about 6 couples, get a sitter, have a pot for gamble on the races amongst us...profit.

*DA has spent too much time sipping cocktails with CRP. Cal is an all-inclusive guy but he doesn't take kindly to stepping outside la familia...I don't think DA is going to get much access to the program in the future. That's the price you pay when you put a guy on blast publicly that has brought us 4 FF's and a title. DA, you broke my heart.

*I was hard on Towles last year, I thought he regressed and was actually interested to see if Barker could live up to his rep and steal the starting position. Nevertheless, now that we know Pat is the starter I'm all in. Hopefully that work ethic we hear about along with some new (returning from injury) weapons will pay off. Plus, they said the guy basically cried when told he won the job...RISE young fella, RISE!

*I always thought the Mumme hire was a good idea with piss poor execution. A decade later, many of the best college programs in the country were copying the style. But, you can't have an SEC coach who cares only about one thing and one thing only (offense) and has no interest on the day to day management of the rest of the program. You look at the best coaches, and they are micromanagers who are incredibly detail oriented. That wasn't Hal, and it ended poorly.

ADVERTISEMENT