ADVERTISEMENT

Books!

Finished Silas House’s Lark Ascending, fantastic. 10/10. Modern dystopian, survival adventure.

Plus an awesome dog is one of the main characters which is always a good.

Moving on to David Grann’s The Devil & Sherlock Holmes.

Audibly:

Finished The Devils Hand by Carr (terminal list series) and started the next one on Spotify*, In The Blood.

*spotify premium has millions of free books. I just found this out as I was paying for them on audible.

What did you think of The Devil & Sherlock Holmes? I've read Killers & am halfway through the Wager. I'm about ready to snap up all of Grann's books - Lost City of Z is next.

Reactions: roguemocha
What did you think of The Devil & Sherlock Holmes? I've read Killers & am halfway through the Wager. I'm about ready to snap up all of Grann's books - Lost City of Z is next.
Get Z for sure, just gave that and the Wager to another buddy on here. The Devil is good/fine I think I just like the longer stories more or maybe I just haven’t read enough short stories to feel the groove or whatever I get from a long version.

-Finished The Devil & Holmes, starting The Pioneers by David McCullough shortly.

-Finished On Target the second book in the Gray Man series by Greaney.

Reactions: CC_332
Get Z for sure, just gave that and the Wager to another buddy on here. The Devil is good/fine I think I just like the longer stories more or maybe I just haven’t read enough short stories to feel the groove or whatever I get from a long version.

-Finished The Devil & Holmes, starting The Pioneers by David McCullough shortly.

-Finished On Target the second book in the Gray Man series by Greaney.
Thanks. I read The Pioneers last year, it was a good read. McCullough doesn't miss.

McCullough does not miss! Correct. The other book he gave me for my two was Ambrose’s Lewis & Clark book. It was at worst an even trade for me!

Reactions: CC_332
Currently rereading Shankar's Fundamentals of Physics I.

Numerous Stephen King works, including short stories. I'm a big fan of King and his dark humor,

I've recently been picking up King books for some of my nieces and nephews that are in high school but none of them have read anything I've gotten 'em yet.

Maybe I should show them this. It worked for me 34 years ago. XD

Reactions: JDHoss
Currently rereading Shankar's Fundamentals of Physics I.

I've recently been picking up King books for some of my nieces and nephews that are in high school but none of them have read anything I've gotten 'em yet.

Maybe I should show them this. It worked for me 34 years ago. XD

Jeez Superman, I’m trying to read for fun over here and you’ve got a physics book! 👏 I’d read that stuff if I didn’t have to read every page 4x.

Reactions: J_Dee
Jeez Superman, I’m trying to read for fun over here and you’ve got a physics book! 👏 I’d read that stuff if I didn’t have to read every page 4x.

Everybody struggles with it. :)

In the words of one of the greatest:

Richard Feynman said:
You ask me if an ordinary person, by studying hard, would get to be able to imagine these things like I imagine. Of course! I was an ordinary person who studied hard. There's no miracle people. It just happens they got interested in this thing, and they learned all this stuff. They're just people. There's no talent or special miracle ability to understand quantum mechanics or a miracle ability to imagine electromagnetic fields that comes without practice and reading and learning and study, so if you take an ordinary person who's willing to devote a great deal of time and study and work and thinking and mathematics, then he's become a scientist!

Everybody struggles with it. :)

In the words of one of the greatest:

Love that. I’m interested in it, just not a priority for me, I’d love to learn more about that specific subject but already have other areas that I devote most of my time to.

So glad you knock those books out. I always stop and look at them at the bookshops.

McCullough does not miss! Correct. The other book he gave me for my two was Ambrose’s Lewis & Clark book. It was at worst an even trade for me!
McCullough's book on the Johnstown Flood was a real eye-opener. Had no idea how catastrophic it was.

Good luck with that. I wrote that off years ago.
But Pillars of the Earth is outstanding.

Currently re-reading The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. First book came out when I was in middle school and the last came out when I was in my 30s. Re-reading at 47. Still pretty good if you’re into the high fantasy genre. It’s a commitment though. 14 books and the shortest one checks in at over 600 pages and most are in the 800-900 page range.

• Wow
But Pillars of the Earth is outstanding.

Currently re-reading The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. First book came out when I was in middle school and the last came out when I was in my 30s. Re-reading at 47. Still pretty good if you’re into the high fantasy genre. It’s a commitment though. 14 books and the shortest one checks in at over 600 pages and most are in the 800-900 page range.
I meant Rothfuss finishing his series. Doubt that 3rd book ever sees the light of day. Dude got a little money and has just checked out.

Finally read Wheel of Time series a few years ago right after Sanderson finished it. Pretty decent series, certainly worth a read.

I just found this new genre called Litrpg. It's a little different but I'm liking it so far. Basically it's fantasy with leveling up like a video game. It sounds weird, but the two series I've read so far have been really good. Dungeon Crawler Carl and The Wandering Inn. You can read TWI online at their website for free if you want to try it and see if you like it. Beware though, it's over 3 times the size of The Wheel of Time and it's still going.

I meant Rothfuss finishing his series. Doubt that 3rd book ever sees the light of day. Dude got a little money and has just checked out.

Finally read Wheel of Time series a few years ago right after Sanderson finished it. Pretty decent series, certainly worth a read.

I just found this new genre called Litrpg. It's a little different but I'm liking it so far. Basically it's fantasy with leveling up like a video game. It sounds weird, but the two series I've read so far have been really good. Dungeon Crawler Carl and The Wandering Inn. You can read TWI online at their website for free if you want to try it and see if you like it. Beware though, it's over 3 times the size of The Wheel of Time and it's still going.
Could you imagine if Rothfuss and GRRM wrote as fast as Sanderson? LOL.

I knew what you meant. I was just using your post to echo that I thought Pillars of the Earth is a great book lol. Never heard of the other guy. But as a frustrated GOT fan I understand the point.

Man I love reading but you guys are maniacs! 👏. That commitment of 14, 800 page books is so terrifying to me I’m laughing.

Back to The Pioneers for the next hour.

Finished Heat 2 last night. Great book and how they brought it together before the Heat movie took place and afterwards. Its a prequel/sequel book. I think they started filming for this movie earlier this year so I would imagine it would come out sometime next year. Two potential scenes they could really make resemble the Heat movie coming out of the bank which was completely badass.

Meg Gardiner helped Mann write this story. Don Winslow was really big on her as an up and comer and I have read three of her books...the UNSUB series which were really good reads.

The Little Liar and Killers of the Flower Moon were the most recent books I have read. Just started..Blood Line by Nelson Demille. It is the sequel to The Deserter. I have The Edge by Baldacci..sequel to The 6:20 man on deck.

In regard to Death in Mud Lick....read Empire of Pain . The Sackler Family founded Oxy and great read.
That was a good read. I knew the Sackler's were philanthropists for the arts, but had no idea that Arthur Sackler was basically BAT. SHIT. CRAZY. when it came to collections. Too bad the Sackler family couldn't have been imprisoned or publicly executed instead of keeping a nice chunk of their wealth. Guess we'll have to settle for them losing their "good name".

Speaking of crazy, I'm currently reading Off the Edge by Kelly Weill. It's about why people are susceptible to conspiracy theories, especially Flat Earth, and including anti-vaxxers, science deniers, Q-Anon, election deniers, etc. It's disturbing, infuriating, befuddling, sad and hilarious, sometimes all on the same page. It's truly scary how many of these nutjobs there are among us. The book started out a little slow, but really got rolling after about 70 pages.

Reading a really dull book right now. Hopefully it gets better. I rarely read books twice but I'm going to read the best again IMO. Lonesome Dove. Long ass book but felt like a short novel. That entertaining.

Reading a really dull book right now. Hopefully it gets better. I rarely read books twice but I'm going to read the best again IMO. Lonesome Dove. Long ass book but felt like a short novel. That entertaining.

My dad taped the original airing of the 1989 CBS Lonesome Dove and he still has the VHS tapes on a bookshelf.

I recently just bought a hardcover copy of Sagan's Cosmos, and this inscription was in it:

436464990_2575924759249086_2563581587802709021_n.jpg

Sagan would've loved it:

Carl Sagan said:
What an astonishing thing a book is. It's a flat object made from a tree with flexible parts on which are imprinted lots of funny dark squiggles. But one glance at it and you're inside the mind of another person, maybe somebody dead for thousands of years. Across the millennia, an author is speaking clearly and silently inside your head, directly to you. Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people who never knew each other, citizens of distant epochs. Books break the shackles of time. A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic.

Reactions: JDHoss and UK82
Can’t recommend Sapiens by Harare enough .

Finishing it tomorrow.

Then about to finish The Pioneers by David McCullough.

Reactions: JDHoss
Just finished Man of Honor about Joseph Bonanno and how he came to America and became the head of the NYC Family. Really interesting read and how he hates the word Mafia and how its an American word.

Currently reading Rise of Wolf 8 at the recommendation of another poster. It's really good, but remembering all the numbers of wolves is a little difficult for me. Other than that it's an excellent and easy read.

Finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King, my first King book. Overall, an interesting premise, but a little disappointing to be honest. His main character is supposedly a 35-year-old teacher in 2011, but the character's interests (most notably swing music) and quirks come off like he's twice that age. I don't buy-in on the believability of the premise (i.e. the owner of Al's Diner, who the main character only really knows in passing as an acquaintance, chooses the main character of all the people in the world to reveal this mystery time portal to?), don't think proper weight was placed on how difficult a decision that would have been, and the writing itself rarely struck a chord with me. I give it two and a half bags of popcorn.

Just finished Man of Honor about Joseph Bonanno and how he came to America and became the head of the NYC Family. Really interesting read and how he hates the word Mafia and how its an American word.
I’m so distraught the murdering, thief doesn’t like the word we made up for organized murdering gangsters. I hope we apologized to him as he died of heart failure lol.

Bet that book is great though!

Last edited:
Reactions: BankerCat12
Print is dead.
Bad take Glenn. I am going to bet that you receive mail daily, all of which was printed. Packaging like cereal boxes, dog food bags, junk food bags and anything with nutritional information it have all been printed. Those things aren't going away like encyclopedias and phone books.

Bad take Glenn. I am going to bet that you receive mail daily, all of which was printed. Packaging like cereal boxes, dog food bags, junk food bags and anything with nutritional information it have all been printed. Those things aren't going away like encyclopedias and phone books.
You just mentioned everywhere Glennn hides his murder weapons.

• Haha
Reactions: DSmith21
I usually read mysteries and thrillers but I read a pretty good fantasy novel the other day. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. It's currently a three book series with more planned. Very entertaining.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT