ADVERTISEMENT

Z sees plays before they happen

Wonky

Junior
Jan 16, 2021
Not everyone on this team has that ability. Sheppard is one. Z is another. Dude needs gobs of minutes. Basketball IQ off the charts.

And watch Burks feet on D. That is how you stay in front of your man. Get low and use your feet.

six-cents.jpg

Not everyone on this team has that ability. Sheppard is one. Z is another. Dude needs gobs of minutes. Basketball IQ off the charts.

And watch Burks feet on D. That is how you stay in front of your man. Get low and use your feet
After last night I saw Burks can help this team.
He gets his butt down, moves his feet and stays in front of his man like you pointed out. But he also has the athletic ability to stay with his guy off the ball. On top of that he rebounded.
This team needs him more then Edwards,and I'm not trying to hate on Edwards.

Great points Wonky. Z really needs to learn the differences between how physical he can be in the American game of basketball- something I would have expected that he would have adjusted to more so by now from practicing with the team. Is he not corrected in practice scrimmages? Ivisic is a special talent, we can all see that...he should be in the rotation spelling Mitchell, and in all honesty I dont think that currently he can play much more than 10-12 minutes per game before he gets that 4th foul.

I really hope that he is getting the 1:1 instruction from the coach's that he should be getting- I think that Z is the #1 key to how far we go in March.

After last night I saw Burks can help this team.
He gets his butt down, moves his feet and stays in front of his man like you pointed out. But he also has the athletic ability to stay with his guy off the ball. On top of that he rebounded.
This team needs him more then Edwards,and I'm not trying to hate on Edwards.
Burks absolutely needs Edwards time. He guards and he knows how to move and position himself without the ball on offense.

If Burks would’ve been given the same opportunity as Edwards, he would be a beast right now.
You can’t teach the athletic ability that he has.
Sad but true. Burks was the pleasant surprise of the group in the early games, while Edwards was the disappointment game after game. Yet, who got all the playing time? For the cal fans this is just another example of why we want him out, he puts individual development above the success of the team. Burks is an element this team has been missing all year, certainly not a 25-30 minute guy but 12-15 for certain. Guessing we have seen the last of him this year however.

Perfect example of Euro/FIBA ball being that far ahead of AAU.

And I'm not sure if that's a testament to how far Euro ball has come.. or how bad AAU has gotten. Maybe both.

Z is slowly learning what it takes in the college game which includes holding position, not bringing the ball down low, going to get a foul call over the back of another, etc. He has talent, was great on several put backs and of course has shown outside shooting skills and being a shot blocker. So, why up to this game (once free) did he see no action. He was on the bench. Great way to develop him.

Z obviously has excellent basketball skills. Easy to see him have an NBA career. He does need to add strength and adjust to the physicality of the game. Would like to see him stay another year to further his development. Also, like the rest of the team, improve defensively.
Agree. Needs another year. He can shoot and make beautiful lead guard type passes but way too often stands flat footed under the basket not even competing for rebounds. He has a lot of work to do.

Reactions: will1976
I laughed so hard at that hard pick he set that sent the vandy guy flying.

Z needs to keep getting minutes. There’s a lot of stuff he can do, and I could see him having a big a game or two come tournament time.

Really loved that Burks got some run. He has waited his turn, and loved the energy he brought. His teammates appreciated his effort, too.

Reactions: Wonky

And watch Burks feet on D. That is how you stay in front of your man. Get low and use your feet.
Well if he doesn't learn how to quit fouling, he will not be on the court. I think Rob sees things pretty damn well also, dude had 9 dimes last night. He has not earned "gobs" of minutes, not be negative, but he had 1/3 of our turnovers and only played 12 minutes or so. Not to mention he also fouled out in said minutes. Until he can adjust / learn to play under somewhat of some control (on both ends), he will be his own worst enemy. Love the kid, he is so exciting to watch, he just has to get minutes and actually get valuable minutes in game, practice time during the week. Even IF Cal wanted to play him 20-25 minutes a game, he is not able to with his mistakes fouling and turning it over. he will learn, he just has to reel it in a bit, stay in front of the man, do not try and block everything, quit using his hands to play defense, and slow down with the ball.

Reactions: Wonky
Burks is Thiero lite. And he could be even more.
Jordan looked much more relaxed on the floor last night. Caught the ball. No nervous hands. Ran the floor really well and was comfortable enough to drill a 3.

Liked seeing him relax and having fun

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT