ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite Schadenfreude victories

For those who don't know what that is, Schadenfreude is when you pull for the team that is playing the team you cannot stand or can't stand to see do well.

Examples...
* Houston beating Louisville after Louisville beat us in the Dream game, 1983
* Duke beating Wisconsin after Wisconsin beat us in 2015
* Villanova beating UNC in 2016 final
* Villanova beating Georgetown in 1985 final
* Morehead State beating Louisville in the first round

I didn't get to see Houston-Louisville, but that would have been number one for me.
Any time UK defeated Indiana when Knight was there.

Cheering for duke is sorta suspect. Just sayin.
Weird things happen in sports. I'd never in a million years cheer for UNC. Except for when the stars aligned and they played Duke in the FF in coach K's last season. Then I cheered for UNC like I was born and raised Tar Heel fan.

I've pulled hard for UNC....against U of L in 1986.

I've pulled hard for Duke....against Wisconsin and usually against UNC.
I've pulled hard for U of L....against UNC in 2009.

Never pulled for any of them more than that one game. There's an Arab saying "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Reactions: RunninRichie
Duke. I would have pulled for the Russian national team against Louisville in those days
Me too. But in 86 Duke didn’t seem nearly as objectionable …and Johnny Dawkins was a phenomenally fun player to watch.

It was during the 89 to 92 Christian Laettner era that the program became so obnoxiously insufferable …and has remained so ever since. I don’t believe I ever cheered for them again after 92. And NO WAY could I have done it in 2015.

For those who don't know what that is, Schadenfreude is when you pull for the team that is playing the team you cannot stand or can't stand to see do well.

Examples...
* Houston beating Louisville after Louisville beat us in the Dream game, 1983
* Duke beating Wisconsin after Wisconsin beat us in 2015
* Villanova beating UNC in 2016 final
* Villanova beating Georgetown in 1985 final
* Morehead State beating Louisville in the first round

I didn't get to see Houston-Louisville, but that would have been number one for me.

I don't agree with you on the Duke/Wisconsin wins. Duke is the devil -- they proudly call themselves that. the level of douche that oozes from that program can be smealt from space.

every day i hope their administration reclassifies them to D2.

Me too. But in 86 Duke didn’t seem nearly as objectionable …and Johnny Dawkins was a phenomenally fun player to watch.

It was during the 89 to 92 Christian Laettner era that the program became so obnoxiously insufferable …and has remained so ever since. I don’t believe I ever cheered for them again after 92. And NO WAY could I have done it in 2015.
I still pulled for Duke against Indiana in 92. Hated Bob Knight and to be honest, I liked Coach K. When Cawood was doing the post game of the Laettner game, he came on and told UK fans to keep their heads up. He didn't have to do that Then he was gracious in defeat in 98.

I pulled against Duke when they flat out stole that Final Four game against Maryland. But I never saw them as a threat to us because all of their titles came under one coach. It wasn't until they signed the top three recruits that I started to see them the way you do. I mean, the Fab Five at Michigan weren't even close to that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT