ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite Schadenfreude victories

FurdTerguson

Sophomore
Jan 9, 2009
For those who don't know what that is, Schadenfreude is when you pull for the team that is playing the team you cannot stand or can't stand to see do well.

Examples...
* Houston beating Louisville after Louisville beat us in the Dream game, 1983
* Duke beating Wisconsin after Wisconsin beat us in 2015
* Villanova beating UNC in 2016 final
* Villanova beating Georgetown in 1985 final
* Morehead State beating Louisville in the first round

I didn't get to see Houston-Louisville, but that would have been number one for me.

Wait …so you cheered for DUKE to win the national championship that night?

WTF is wrong with you? I know Wisconsin beat us, but that’s still messed up.
I hated Wisconsin so much. I was actually completely indifferent in the first half, but when the calls started going against Wisconsin in the second half just like they went against us the game before, and the Wisconsin coach and players were complaining, schadenfreude kicked in.

Cheering for duke is sorta suspect. Just sayin.
It's schadenfreude. I wasn't a Houston fan. But seeing them dunk Louisville into submission after the overtime dunkfest Louisville put on us made me happy. The next game Houston played NC State and I went back to not caring about them.

Reactions: crestcat
For those who don't know what that is, Schadenfreude is when you pull for the team that is playing the team you cannot stand or can't stand to see do well.

Examples...

I didn't get to see Houston-Louisville, but that would have been number one for me.
Phi Slama Jama!

Examples...

I would never root for Duke.

I know. And you STILL can't cheer for the Lords of darkness. Nor loserville, shadenfreude be damned.
To be fair, I didn't know Wisconsin was going to drop off the face of the Earth and Duke was going to start out recruiting us. Every Duke tournament loss since then made me happy, but Wisconsin ruined the ultimate mic drop for us. To see them get bad calls and blow it was beautiful. Duke had just lost to Lehigh and some other team in the first round. They weren't a huge threat to me yet.

I hated Wisconsin so much. I was actually completely indifferent in the first half, but when the calls started going against Wisconsin in the second half just like they went against us the game before, and the Wisconsin coach and players were complaining, schadenfreude kicked in.
I'm ok with this. Coming of a fresh loss to Wisconsin just a couple days before. I dislike Duke long term, but circumstances change the moment.

That said. Duke losing Elite Eight in 2019 immediately after we choked to Auburn took some sting away on the drive home.

1994. Same when North Carolina lost as one seed right after we got upset by Marquette

To be fair, I didn't know Wisconsin was going to drop off the face of the Earth and Duke was going to start out recruiting us. Every Duke tournament loss since then made me happy, but Wisconsin ruined the ultimate mic drop for us. To see them get bad calls and blow it was beautiful. Duke had just lost to Lehigh and some other team in the first round. They weren't a huge threat to me yet.
Kowipairi had more to due with the Wisconsin loss then either the Badgers or the officiating.

I cheered for Johnny Dawkins back in the day. Was hoping like hell he could beat Louisville in the title game in 86. He was actually one of my favorite players back in the day. His 6 tournament games he scored :
24 (Lost to Louisville in the title game)

Of course this was before Duke would become well, Duke.
Back in the day team : (non UK players)
Johnny Dawkins - Duke
Pearl Washington - Syracuse
Walter Berry - St. john
Eric "Sleepy" Floyd - Georgetown
Hakeem Olajuwon - Houston

man those Big East battles was legendary. Cuse, Georgetown, St. Johns. Absolute best era for college basketball.

They weren't a huge threat to me yet.
That game marked Duke’s 5th national championship and at least 12th final four in just the preceding 30 years …which gave them more titles and FFs than any program in the country over that same period.

Yet you did not regard the Duke program to be as much of a threat to UK as Wisconsin’s? LOL. That’s some messed up logic right there.

Reactions: Killswitch24
That game marked Duke’s 5th national championship and at least 12th final four in just the preceding 30 years …which gave them more titles and FFs than any program in the country over that same period.

Yet you did not regard the Duke program to be as much of a threat to UK as Wisconsin’s? LOL. That’s some messed up logic right there.
Wisconsin had played us in consecutive years in the Final Four and we were fortunate to win the first game. If they beat Duke who's to say they don't go on a run? They were the only team to beat Villanova from 2016-18.

Duke made the Final Four seven times between 86 and 94 but only a handful of times since then. We beat them in late 2015 in the Champions Classic. It wasn't until K got the top three players in the same class that I started looking at them as the monster that must be destroyed.

UK and IU fans came together in 2002 to pack Rupp Arena and cause that little twerp J-Will to brick some free throws resulting in a Duke loss. That’s maybe the most satisfying one I can remember. Fortunately IU failed to win the title that year otherwise it wouldn’t have been nearly as satisfying.

My favorites are the 2 Tennessee elite 8 losses. Last year and 08.

And I question anyone that pulls for Duke, especially in title games good lord. No way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
Wisconsin loss to Duke after that Kyzensky kid talked so much shit. I still love to watch Wisconsin lose.

UNC’s last minute loss to Villanova had me running around the house yelling. It felt so good to watch Nova take it away from the Cheaters.

UCLA’s loss in the final four a couple of years ago when Juzang was leading them. Not because of Juzang just my general dislike of all things LA.

Reactions: FurdTerguson
2019 - Zion loses in the Elite 8 an hour after Cal gagged away a FF against Auburn.

1993 - Webber calls timeout. - My parents were pulling hard for Michigan, but I was 12 and the 93 Cats were and still are my favoirte UK team. I knew it was the last time I'd see Mashburn in a UK uniform. I was a crying, snotty mess after losing to Michigan. I still hate the Fab 5. That was the only time I ever rooted for UNC

A number of Duke tournament losses (Lehigh 2012, Mercer 2014, Michigan State 2019)

Villanova beating UNC at the buzzer in the 2016 title game

Virginia losing in the first round this year (No way in hell did they ever deserve to be in the NCAAT)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
2019 - Zion loses in the Elite 8 an hour after Cal gagged away a FF against Auburn.

1993 - Webber calls timeout. - My parents were pulling hard for Michigan, but I was 12 and the 93 Cats were and still are my favoirte UK team. I knew it was the last time I'd see Mashburn in a UK uniform. I was a crying, snotty mess after losing to Michigan. I still hate the Fab 5. That was the only time I ever rooted for UNC
These are my two as well. Also enjoyed watching Auburn lose the very next game to Virginia when they fouled Kyle Guy on a corner 3.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT