ADVERTISEMENT

Your enthusiasm for UK basketball isn’t what it used to be, because?

Oh, I get it. You and the other haters think you can manage the program better than the university. I get that perspective is full of shit.
First of all, the University doesn't manage the program, Cal does and it is incumbent upon him to do so in a way that enhances the Program, build upon UK's Tradition through and maintaining it's standard for excellence. If he fails to do so then, the University can make a change or the coach can leave for whatever reason. You incredibly call me a "hater". I don't hate anything and how would you possibly know. You seem to be one of the most angry posters I've ever encountered on this board and can never find any middle ground with anyone who doesn't see the world in your shade of grey. You're actually kind of interesting only because I find myself trying to understand how you can justify saying the things you do. People of all stripes support the program in different ways but just because they do so in a way that you can't seem to understand, you attack them. Again and again. Have you noticed that the tide is turning with regard to waning support for the OAD system and Cal's unwillingness to adjust. Those who continue to enthusiastically support Cal's wholesale OAD program is shrinking and that will takes its toll. I know that I would like to see Cal fix this mess before he is forced out by the fans. You support UK and I support UK...we simply do so in a different way. I care about the Program first, not the players nor Cal first. Players and coaches come and go but the Program is what you must protect at all times. Without the Program and the fans, you don't have the quality coach nor the players. I honestly do not wish any ill will toward you but I don't think you do yourself any favors constantly attacking and thusly depriving the rest of us of the potential for some type of meaningful discussion with you.

politics being injected into professional sports has all but stopped me from watching the NFL and NBA
i am not sure they will ever win me and many more fans back

as far as UK sports is concerned
i will never lose passion or interest for UK sports

adversity only makes you stronger
it also makes winning that much sweeter

College basketball has just become a farm system lower than the G-league. Who cares? The players and coaches don't anymore. Why should we?

Reactions: BigBlueFanClub
Players and coaches come and go but the Program is what you must protect at all times.
tenor.gif

My answer: 2015

2015 happened.

Not only did that soul-crushing loss happen, but for me personally, I became a father in 2015. Anyone who is a parent knows that your priorities in life change in that moment.

So with the combo of not wanting to get my soul crushed again and having other priorities jump ahead of UK Basketball in my life, I already felt the enthusiasm I once had for my university (2011 grad) slipping away.

But that’s not the only thing that happened in 2015.

Later that year, the university made one of the most moronic and unnecessary moves I’ve ever seen any institution make. Ah yes... you guessed it...... The hybrid “H” K logo, two birds humping logo, and the checkerboard diarrhea dump on the entire athletics program that we supposedly paid “professionals” for. Now, I know most of you couldn’t care less about the uniforms or the “look” of our program but to some people (me) it matters. Some of my earliest college basketball memories are of me trying draw different college teams’ logos. Funny enough, I remember drawing Marcus Camby and John Calipari’s script “U” with the block “mass” logo of the 90s. I’ve been blessed that I have turned that love for design into a part-time hobby/career, so when that debacle happened I was absolutely blown away that Nike allowed that to happen to one of its flagship programs. Completely unacceptable. What once was a profound, recognizable “blue blood” aura, seemingly overnight turned into a cheap, knock off version you would find at the dollar store. I actually found myself rooting AGAINST my school in the sense that I wanted apparel sales to tank so bad that they would have to abandon the checkerboard. I still won’t buy or wear anything with checkerboard or the new logos. Never will. The only thing that gave me hope was the fact that in the 90s we had some historically bad uniforms. Those didn’t last long, so maybe this too would be just a fad.

Little did I know that the product on the court (minus maybe 2017) would start to match our 2nd rate look.

Again, I know some of you are laughing at me now, and that’s ok. I’m just telling my story. I’ve lost some enthusiasm for UK Basketball because I feel like I don’t even know this UK Basketball I’m seeing now. I’m becoming more and more embarrassed of my school and team that I once was so proud of. All while I find myself being jealous of teams I HATE (Tennessee and Duke) for having awesome uniforms. Ha, imagine that, Tennessee... the (former) KING of checkerboard, outclassing us with their throwback uniforms they wear fairly often.

So if you’ve read this far, thank you for hearing my vent session out. It is an excuse for losing enthusiasm that I hadn’t seen posted yet so I thought I would share in case others felt the same. Like I said, it’s not the ONLY thing that has led me to be less enthusiastic (that would be silly) but it definitely hasn’t helped things. I have since became a father to two more kids in ‘17 & ‘19 so my hands are full as is and I’m starting wondering if they’ll even inherit a love for the Cats from a father who rarely wears UK gear anymore and forgets when the games are on.

Because ultimately that’s where our fandom usually comes from, it’s inherited from generations before us. My dad passed it on to me and I hope it doesn’t end with me. I hope to be back to diehard status someday when my kids are old enough to understand what’s happening. But for now, I’m just kinda “meh” on the whole situation.
you took the words out of my mouth! 1000000% agree with you on the logos and uniforms!

Reactions: sdryan2
Weve broken the numbers down on here before. Ws Ls SEC, SECT, NCAAT, etc.

Cals last 5 and Tubbys last 5 #s are almost identical. Get your head out of the sand. Im sure someone else can link the thread where we did it.. im not going back to do it again.
If fans are going to compare records then they should also compare Strength of Schedules

Cal 32
Tubby 10.6

• Wow
Reactions: CB3UK
If fans are going to compare records then they should also compare Strength of Schedules

Cal 32
Tubby 10.6
Now compare the last five years of each coach and you will understand why a lot of fans see a bad trend, just like they did with Tubby.

Now compare the last five years of each coach and you will understand why a lot of fans see a bad trend, just like they did with Tubby.
Cal needs 12-13 wins this year to keep up with Tubby’s last 6 years I believe.

Last edited:
At the top of the list is that I'm 50, and I have to do a lot more to keep my business running. I can't spend all day getting hyped up for a game where some 17-20 year old kids are just learning a bigger game, and then get upset for two more days when they lose. The emotional investment just doesn't fill me with pride like it used to. But, I think it's for the best. I get a lot more done now :)

My interest has been declining for a few years now. Throw in COVID insanity and politics and I'm pretty much done. Like I said in other threads. I might catch a game on WLAP. Good luck to the CATS.

This morning, I went to a Louisville basketball message board to see what they were talking about. There was a thread on there were they were enjoying how bad that UK was this year. 2 or 3 years ago this would have made me mad. But this time I didn’t get angry at all. Then I realized that after 50 year of being a UK fan, that I barely care anymore.

Life has happened. Other priorities and responsibilities take my time. This year has been especially taxing with a pandemic and personal losses. I haven’t been able to watch much, but hope that they can start getting on the winning track today. The Cats will always be my favorite team, but I do admit other things are now primary in my life.

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps
Life has happened. Other priorities and responsibilities take my time. This year has been especially taxing with a pandemic and personal losses. I haven’t been able to watch much, but hope that they can start getting on the winning track today. The Cats will always be my favorite team, but I do admit other things are now primary in my life.
this

This morning, I went to a Louisville basketball message board to see what they were talking about. There was a thread on there were they were enjoying how bad that UK was this year. 2 or 3 years ago this would have made me mad. But this time I didn’t get angry at all. Then I realized that after 50 year of being a UK fan, that I barely care anymore.

Kentucky basketball has become an NBA farm machine. I want to see these young guys that Cal brings in every year to have a good future. But, Kentucky basketball doesn't feel like that anymore.

Calipari won't play guys who could develop in 2 to 3 years. But nope, Cal has gotten comfortable at Kentucky with these huge contracts for life. Therefore, destroy the program with the one and done.

This team shows signs of life early, but in the end, that inexperience starts to show. If Kentucky wins today, that would be great. But, I just don't feel that excitement anymore. Hell, I haven't felt that since Kentucky got robbed in 2015. Kentucky basketball hasn't felt the same since.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT