ADVERTISEMENT

Multiple Articles say Payne "to be fired"

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I'm doing searches this morning and there is still no definitive word from Louisville on the firing of Kenny Payne. It's pretty embarrassing, really. If you've leaked that you PLAN to fire him, stop talking about it and just do it! Only UofL could botch something this simple. Stop leaking and take care of your business. I'm sure these sportswriters all wanted to be the first one to report the firing and they were all clamoring for the story. Leave it to little brother, eh? 🤣

I'm doing searches this morning and there is still no definitive word from Louisville on the firing of Kenny Payne. It's pretty embarrassing, really. If you've leaked that you PLAN to fire him, stop talking about it and just do it! Only UofL could botch something this simple. Stop leaking and take care of your business. I'm sure these sportswriters all wanted to be the first one to report the firing and they were all clamoring for the story. Leave it to little brother, eh? 🤣
Just an example of the state of the UL "program" In reality Payne had no chance to be successful there. UL is back to the pre Crum days and has little chance of reversing the trend any time in the near future. It couldn't happen to a more deserving fanbase(if you don't count KU)

I thought the buyout drops from 8 to 6 mil, April 1- could be off on that though. They are in a tricky situation, and it’s enjoyable to watch from afar.

I would assume something has been discussed/worked out behind the scenes, but yes ul seems to bumble everything these days.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I don't think UofL is the one continuing to talk about it, though. Maybe some insider said something to a media person, but once the media person indicated that he'd be fired, then other media outlets just pick it up and run with it. Plus it's not tough to speculate he's going to be fired and then look correct, either. So there's probably some of that going on. Also, I'm not sure we need yet another thread about it either.

It would be a safe enough assumption enough so to put in writing even if it wasn’t leaked.

They are in a tricky situation, and it’s enjoyable to watch from afar.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by Law & Order

What if it's click bait to bait you into posting this? 😂

Official:
Officially official. Kenny Payne is no longer the head coach at Louisville.
“When we brought Kenny home in 2022, no one had a stronger belief than me in his potential success, but it’s become clear that a change is needed to help this program achieve what is expected and attainable.“ - Louisville AD Josh Heird

There you go, it's official. Exactly one hour after this thread started.

I don't think UofL is the one continuing to talk about it, though. Maybe some insider said something to a media person, but once the media person indicated that he'd be fired, then other media outlets just pick it up and run with it. Plus it's not tough to speculate he's going to be fired and then look correct, either. So there's probably some of that going on. Also, I'm not sure we need yet another thread about it either.

I disagree. Firing a coach at a high profile university is not something done in isolation. There are a lot of people involved in the discussions. Also, it takes a certain amount of time to do. They are talking to the board, to the lawyers and probably some boosters as well. Word gets out and spreads like wildfire. I was told that Kevin Stallings was going to be fired from Pitt by a booster 3 days before it happened. I would fully expect an announcement this week or early next week, at the latest. Too much smoke for there not to be a fire, IMO.

Congratulations to Louisville on their biggest day of the season.

Can we bring KP on staff before the tournament starts?

I disagree. Firing a coach at a high profile university is not something done in isolation. There are a lot of people involved in the discussions. Also, it takes a certain amount of time to do. They are talking to the board, to the lawyers and probably some boosters as well. Word gets out and spreads like wildfire. I was told that Kevin Stallings was going to be fired from Pitt by a booster 3 days before it happened. I would fully expect an announcement this week or early next week, at the latest. Too much smoke for there not to be a fire, IMO.

I guess I should have read the rest of the thread before posting!!! LOL

Just an example of the state of the UL "program" In reality Payne had no chance to be successful there. UL is back to the pre Crum days and has little chance of reversing the trend any time in the near future. It couldn't happen to a more deserving fanbase(if you don't count KU)
Peck Hickman is a Hall of Fame coach and took UL to the NCAA tournament several times. UL basketball didn't begin with Denny Crum.

Basketball was a minor sport through most of the Peck Hickman days.

I believe they are waiting on a certain date so the payout is lower...I think

The point is to try to win the tournament, not sabotage it.
I think KP is an elite assistant coach. You don't get a job with the Knicks without being highly respected in basketball circles. A lot of our NBA guys talked about how much KP meant to them while at UK.

He's not a great head coach, don't get me wrong. But he walked into a rough situation.

I think as an assistant, he would be a fantastic addition.

It almost certainly won't happen before the tournament. I think he's gonna take the rest of the season off.

OK UofL, you bunch of idiots. We tried to help you but just like IUsedtobe, you didn't listen to us. Now, were going to give you ONE LAST CHANCE to fix the mess you goobers created. HIRE the CALIPARI SLAYER!

iu

Reactions: Nuke99m
Congratulations to Louisville on their biggest day of the season.

Can we bring KP on staff before the tournament starts?
I think some of our fans suffer from Stockholm syndrome - they are so used to their captors that they can't imagine anyone else.

I think some of our fans suffer from Stockholm syndrome - they are so used to their captors that they can't imagine anyone else.
Are you saying that I have Stockholm Syndrome for wanting Kenny Payne?

Kenny hasn't been here for 4 years. I don't see how he's held us captive.

I appologize if I'm misunderstanding.

Are you saying that I have Stockholm Syndrome for wanting Kenny Payne?

Kenny hasn't been here for 4 years. I don't see how he's held us captive.

I appologize if I'm misunderstanding.
He's part of the same regime that's still here. And he's not a good part of it, either.

Peck Hickman is a Hall of Fame coach and took UL to the NCAA tournament several times. UL basketball didn't begin with Denny Crum.

Basketball was a minor sport through most of the Peck Hickman days.
Well aware of Peck Hickman, however Louisville wasn't on the national stage prior to Crum. Hickman toiled in relative obscurity much of his career playing 3rd fiddle to Rupp and Diddle

Last edited:
Reactions: blubo
They need to do the right thing and hire Jerry Stackhouse. He’s available and would turn that program around. Plus, he could bring UL father’s son Brad with him.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
Well aware of Peck Hickman, however Louisville wasn't on the national stage prior to Crum. Hickman toiled in relative obscurity much of his career playing 3rd fiddle to Rupp and Diddle
It was all "relative obscurity" until the great UCLA-Houston game in 67. Basketball was a minor sport. Hickman had taken several UL teams to the tournament, a Final 4, and he'd won a national title back when the NIT was the big tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT