ADVERTISEMENT

Your enthusiasm for UK basketball isn’t what it used to be, because?

I’m still a big UK fan but like many have already mentioned, this one and done system makes it tough. The last 5 years, we’ve needed more veteran players. Hell every season we could have used more.

One thing that I don’t think Cal understands is how you can take a player from the state of Kentucky, that may not be as highly rated as these 5 star kids....but when they put on that Kentucky jersey it really means something to them. Justin Powell should have got a scholarship offer and it’s ridiculous that he didn’t. Theirs others that were overlooked as well that had good careers with other programs. In my opinion, any kid that wins the Mr Basketball award should automatically get a scholarship to play here too. I know some won’t like that, but I could care less. Our program needs more veteran leadership every season and something has to change to make that happen.

Reactions: dezyDeco
For one, as you get older, you prioritize differently. What used to matter in a lot of cases seems trivial now. Never been a big fan of the 1 and done model. As a lifelong UK fan, knowing our kids and identifying with them has been important. Not having a representative that plays meaningful minutes contributes as well, Cal simply does not recruit Kentucky.

Exactly what happened to me, except I didn’t have tickets. But I was so pumped for that team. Haven’t been the same since.
One of the toughest losses in several years. I thought for sure that we were going to get number 9. Only one other loss bothered me more.... I don’t wanna type out which one it was, but I still hate the man that’s last name begins with an L for hitting that damn shot....

I posted before and will say again I don't think it's 100% Coaches fault the NBA done us no favors we filled the league with stars but they took everything we had most schools have a few players we have teams in the NBA.
Problem is this could have been seen by a blind fan and two chickens,but coach failed to adjust and its gonna be a bad season and probably more to come. Gotta have a way to build trust with these guys or you'll never have a Hawkins or a Patterson those guys build programs.
I loved UK for as long as I can remember and at 37 years old now I just want things fixed,not really interested in watching high school bb. It's terrible to say but things change and college bb has changed now does our BIG BLUE NATION accept what we got or do we say who cares. I'm a solution type person and believe in there's not a way Cal can adjust and keep himself out of the humiliation he might face in the next few years.

This morning, I went to a Louisville basketball message board to see what they were talking about. There was a thread on there were they were enjoying how bad that UK was this year. 2 or 3 years ago this would have made me mad. But this time I didn’t get angry at all. Then I realized that after 50 year of being a UK fan, that I barely care anymore.
Thank you for sharing.

Because it’s not about the Kentucky program anymore, just the players themselves. It’s freshman after freshman and transfer after transfer year in and year out. The coach admittedly doesn’t care about anything except getting players to the nba, he does everything the exact same way every single year and every minute of every game, never gonna change. Our style of basketball is boring and sloppy. The passion is just gone since OAD, whether you want to admit it or not.

This morning, I went to a Louisville basketball message board to see what they were talking about. There was a thread on there were they were enjoying how bad that UK was this year. 2 or 3 years ago this would have made me mad. But this time I didn’t get angry at all. Then I realized that after 50 year of being a UK fan, that I barely care anymore.

It’s because our fans are so negative.

Combinations of the OAD, not really a fan of our style of play, find it boring and not very team oriented.

Its not age. Its the system Cal is using. We're all sick of it.

My cousin is in his 20s. Im in my 30s. Plenty of yall are up there in the 50s 60s and 70s.

When all of us are feeling the same way, its not because youve gotten too old. Calipari has bastardized our traditions and turned this into his personal Make A Wish foundation.
As a 68 year old I approve this message. Kidding aside well said.

So the years between 98 and when Cal started you were enthusiastic even though we basically sucked but now you aren't interested. Weird. You didn't enjoy last year. I thought that was a fun team. Doesn't fit your agenda

Its not age. Its the system Cal is using. We're all sick of it.

My cousin is in his 20s. Im in my 30s. Plenty of yall are up there in the 50s 60s and 70s.

When all of us are feeling the same way, its not because youve gotten too old. Calipari has bastardized our traditions and turned this into his personal Make A Wish foundation.
I like the one and done system. I've hada ton of fun watching UK basketball in the last ten years.

Reactions: sk73
So the years between 98 and when Cal started you were enthusiastic even though we basically sucked but now you aren't interested. Weird. You didn't enjoy last year. I thought that was a fun team. Doesn't fit your agenda

You need to open your mind to different perspectives. People are entitled to their own feelings. We’re all Kentucky fans here (mostly). No one has an “agenda” against the program. Anyone is entitled to say they aren’t enjoying the way the program is currently being run.

Also, we didn’t exactly “suck” from 2001-2005. It was about the same as we’ve been here over the last 5 years.

You need to open your mind to different perspectives. People are entitled to their own feelings. We’re all Kentucky fans here (mostly). No one has an “agenda” against the program. Anyone is entitled to say they aren’t enjoying the way the program is currently being run.

Also, we didn’t exactly “suck” from 2001-2005. It was about the same as we’ve been here over the last 5 years.
We had a good run from 01-05. I love the way the program is being run I love Cal. We'll be fine.

We had a good run from 01-05. I love the way the program is being run I love Cal. We'll be fine.

I think your head is buried n the sand a bit, but you’re entitled to your own opinion. Things need to turn around fast.

It’s become obvious to me that College basketball is dying sport. People actually got hyped up for the NCAA tournament 10 years ago, people only pay attention now when the brackets come out because they are fun to fill out and compete in the office pool still. But I don’t feel like people really care anymore about the teams or the games. In that same 10 years, the NBA product became infinitely better. I know the NBA isn’t popular on this board, but watch a game and see how much more free flowing and better officiated the games are.

Plus there is a host of exciting up and coming stars like Doncic, Young, Fox, Tatum, Booker, Williamson, Mitchell, Murray, Herro, and Adebayo. The league is in a great place and the resounding success of the bubble has opened some eyes to how powerful the NBA brand is. I’ll always tune in to watch the Cats and I’m still on board with Cal in the future. The only thing keeping me from making a full switch from CBB to NBA, is that there isn’t a single team that I’m a fan of. I just like watching all the stars and the great matchups.

Tubbys last 6 years at UK 153-40 First year of the six- 32-4
Cals last 6 years at UK 178-28 First year of the six-38-1

Noting exciting about it.

“Rock fights”

No adjustments. No flow offensively. No basic in bounds plays.

NBA draft was “the greatest day in Kentucky basketball history.”

Very seldom do I get to see a player develop over multiple years.

Reactions: KFuqua
2016- Do-nut hole team after learning that Skal was over hyped. So yes, Cal missed on Skal. As did everyone else.

2017-Entered the tourney as the best team in the country and Fox was probably the best player in the country. Cheated out of the FF in the E8 game.

2018-Should have been a FF team only because of how the bracket opened up. Missed free throws against KState kept us getting to play the Sister's team. That team had a lot of holes though.

2019- Overtime loss from the FF.

2020-Almost certainly a FF team had we gotten to play. Maybe a title team with a little FF luck?

If someone is comparing those 5 years to Tubby's last 5 years they are doing so with an agenda that is not basketball related.

We didn't have a good team last year? The year before?

The year before last I really liked our team, we were a pretty complete group and fun to watch. Wish we could’ve gotten it done against Auburn.

Last year’s team was above average. It would have been interesting to see what happened in March or if Cal gave the keys back to Hagans. I don’t think that team would’ve done anything in March, unfortunately we didn’t get to find out.

2016- Do-nut hole team after learning that Skal was over hyped. So yes, Cal missed on Skal. As did everyone else.

2017-Entered the tourney as the best team in the country and Fox was probably the best player in the country. Cheated out of the FF in the E8 game.

2018-Should have been a FF team only because of how the bracket opened up. Missed free throws against KState kept us getting to play the Sister's team. That team had a lot of holes though.

2020-Almost certainly a FF team had we gotten to play. Maybe a title team with a little FF luck?

If someone is comparing those 5 years to Tubby's last 5 years they are doing so with an agenda that is not basketball related.

How can you say last year was “almost certainly a Final Four team”? How do you figure that?

Reactions: KyFaninNC
The year before last I really liked our team, we were a pretty complete group and fun to watch. Wish we could’ve gotten it done against Auburn.

Last year’s team was above average. It would have been interesting to see what happened in March or if Cal gave the keys back to Hagans. I don’t think that team would’ve done anything in March, unfortunately we didn’t get to find out.
I agree with you.

Reactions: STL_Cat
How can you say last year was “almost certainly a Final Four team”? How do you figure that?

I figure that's my opinion. We were a very, very good team this year. Excellent defensive team. A score from anywhere, anytime guard in Quickley. A heady point guard that was a defensive terror, (yes, he had a hiccup there at the end of the regular season), a very good post presence in Richards. Montgomery coming on. Brooks coming on. A thriller of a player in Maxey. If you didn't see a great team there then I don't know what to say to that.

Then look at the competition. Did you see a team out there better than us? I didn't. There wasn't a team out there that I thought, "I sure hope we don't get them in our bracket".

But I still stay with my opinion that we were FF bound. I had my room reserved in Atlanta.

This is not my work. I saw it posted elsewhere. Along the lines of what I said above so obviously I agree:

So it seems that the focus is on the last 5 years...

2020 there is no tournament...team was 25-6, won 9 of their last 10, and was looking at a top seed in the NCAA tourney. This team was in the discussion for FF and a national championship.
2019 Elite 8 finish in tournament...team was 30-7, outplayed Auburn, stumbled down the stretch...Auburn win was aided by poor officiating late. Again, this team was a play or two away from FF and possible championship
2018 Sweet 16 finish...finished below expectations. 26-11, had a rough 10 game stretch in SEC play...Knox/PJ couldn't quite put everything together. FT shooting was major undoing...PJ finished 8-20...lost by 3.
2017 Elite 8 finish in tournament...team was 32-6. 2 losses in SEC play...10 game winning streak heading into tourney. Widely considered in the discussion for championship. Undone by officiating and a last second shot against UNC. Complete theft in every since of the word.
2016 Round of 32 finish...below expectations. team was 27-9, 13-5 in SEC...won the SEC tourney. SKAL was a bust. Had no answer inside for Thomas Bryant with tissue-soft SKAL. Disappointing end.

Overall record...138-39 (78%)
Team was in discussion for championship in 3 of the 5 seasons. Derailed by officials in 2 of those seasons with the other tourney being canceled.

I would be curious to know if that is below expectations...what are the expectations?

To be clear when you say “looking at a top seed” last year, we were looking at a maybe 2 but probably 3 seed. So just for clarity there. I consider a top seed one of the 4 1 seeds. We haven’t gotten a 1 seed in the last 5 years. I think that speaks to the overall level of basketball we’ve played. In none of the last 5 years have we been considered one of the top 4 teams in the country according to our overall body of work.

No 1 seeds ... no final fours ... below expectations. No amount of mental gymnastics change the data.

Last years team was awful and miserable to watch

Weve broken the numbers down on here before. Ws Ls SEC, SECT, NCAAT, etc.

Cals last 5 and Tubbys last 5 #s are almost identical. Get your head out of the sand. Im sure someone else can link the thread where we did it.. im not going back to do it again.

Reactions: deep3 and KyFaninNC
I like the one and done system. I've hada ton of fun watching UK basketball in the last ten years.
And you are certainly entitled to that opinion. Ive had plenty of enjoyable wins these past 10 yrs to watch too.

But I hate one and done and am tired of watching every season and especially the tournament with Damocles' sword hovering.

I know the numbers for both. And how anyone could look at them and see an equal product surely means that someone has their head in the sand, we agree there. We do disagree on which one is in the sand.

Or which one is cherry picking to an agenda.

I know the numbers for both. And how anyone could look at them and see an equal product surely means that someone has their head in the sand, we agree there. We do disagree on which one is in the sand.

Or which one is cherry picking to an agenda.

Has anyone ever discussed the difference between cherry picking and trend analysis with you?

Has anyone ever discussed the difference between cherry picking and trend analysis with you?

You mean tried to baffle me with their BS? Yes

It's OK to have your own opinion. You just can't have your own facts. I get it. You love you some tubby. That's OK too. You are not alone. They even have a name, Tubbites. You know, like Moonies?

But you want "trends"? Why 5 years then? Why not 10 years to 10 years? Why not compare from other programs, like whole careers? You don't have to answer. I know the answer. If you don't cherry pick it doesn't fit the agenda.

How's that for a "trend analysis"??:sunglasses:

You mean tried to baffle me with their BS? Yes

It's OK to have your own opinion. You just can't have your own facts. I get it. You love you some tubby. That's OK too. You are not alone. They even have a name, Tubbites. You know, like Moonies?

But you want "trends"? Why 5 years then? Why not 10 years to 10 years? Why not compare from other programs, like whole careers? You don't have to answer. I know the answer. If you don't cherry pick it doesn't fit the agenda.

How's that for a "trend analysis"??:sunglasses:

I love me some Tubby? Not sure where you got that.

I’m guessing you’re either very young or don’t work in the business world. I help my people do regular and consistent trend analysis. Monthly, quarterly, annually, 3 year trends, 5 years trends, on down the line. If I have a rep who blew it out of the water his first 5 years, but the following 5 years were much more marginal, we’re going to have a conversation about that. You always analyze data and look at trends and territory trajectories. If I go to a rep who was previously one of my top performers and say, “the numbers have really fallen off. There’s a pretty clear line of demarcation in your performance from year 1-5 to years 6-10. How would you explain that? What factors are present in your territory that have led to this? Are there external factors? Internal factors? What has changed about the way you do your job?”

How do you think I should respond if my rep tells me to “quit cherry picking! My numbers were the best in the country the first 5 years!”

I have no agenda. Other than I’m a DIEHARD KENTUCKY BASKETBALL FAN. What do you think I want?

Reactions: kyjeff1
I’m tired of the players playing for themselves and not Kentucky. It always cracks me up when one of our players says he’s taking his talent to Kentucky for the next 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT