ADVERTISEMENT

What is Kentucky basketball?

I understand your view but other than that

I was there for those games against Arkansas. Remember when Antoine Walker slapped the floor at mid court and getting sat on the bench. We lost that game. Outside it was so cold; a big winter storm hit the area.
Ate dinner at Slick Rick's restaurant before the game.
The good ole days.
One of the hardest tickets I've ever tried to find directly before the game , things were different in the 90s .. I wasnt exactly wealthy back then either .. We got 2 up high but got in the door . Was a crazy atmosphere , just insanely loud

You're right about the "national attention', but that usually only last one day. You don 't go to South Florida, California, places like the Bahamas and see too many horse racing shirts but you will see someone wearing a UK shirt.
For the one day in May, everyone is a horse racing fan but UK basketball fans are year around
Yes, but you’re talking a UK t-shirt. That’s specific to the school and it’s sports programs. I also see kids wearing UNC and Michigan stuff all the time..but it’s probably because of the color scheme.

Im talking about the mere mention of the state. Almost all the time I speak to someone outside the state and mention where I’m from, I’m met with comments about “beautiful horse country” and white fences. In fairness, I’ll mention my alma mater if they ask—but I don’t talk UK sports unless they press the issue.

Reactions: Oldbluefart
"THE GOLD STANDARD"
"THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE"
" Before I came here UK had not won a sec in 4 years and only 1 ncaa game too that is unacceptable at Uk"

It is our cultural heritage and identity. That is why it is so important. And if anyone scoffs at this, then they just don’t understand.

I expect UK to compete more than we have the past 4 seasons. It's unacceptable we are about to be 6 out of 7 years without sec regular season and since 2018 for last tourney title.

Final four 9 years and title 12 years. Yes, we have had stretched like these before but not keeping the same coach here indefinitely destroying things.

We have 4 titles in 65 years and had 3 the 50 years pre cal and 2 of those came in a 3 year stretch. I'm a realistic person. I don't expect to make the final four every year or compete for the title every year or win the SEC as much anymore as it's tough now.

That said, I expect better than this dog crap.

New coach and hire the right mercenaries to win number 9.

Something to be proud of. That you can watch with your kids and remember the greats and great moments. The Cawood, Rupp, Chuck Hayes and all the mountain boys who would play their hearts out to wear the blue. Guys who played for the front of the jersey instead of the back. The banners, even the sec tourney. Winning is a tradition and not running from teams. When teams came to Rupp we just didn't lose.

I asked Chat GPT to generate a poem on being a Kentucky basketball fan:

Being a Kentucky basketball fan
Is not an easy task
You have to deal with highs and lows
And sometimes wear a mask

You cheer for every victory
And mourn for every loss
You know the names of every player
And every coach and boss

You follow every rumor
And every recruiting news
You hope for every five-star
And dread the transfer blues

You watch every game with passion
And sometimes with despair
You feel every foul and turnover
And every referee's glare

You love your team with all your heart
And bleed the blue and white
You dream of every championship
And every Final Four night

But being a Kentucky basketball fan
Is also a great joy
You share a bond with millions
And a legacy of pride

You witness history and glory
And moments of pure grace
You celebrate the greatness
And the honor of this place
And not one word about the NBA draft

Born and raised in Harrodsburg also and still live here… I think Kentucky basketball means something different to everyone for many reasons. Bourbon and horse racing certainly are a huge part of Kentucky, especially to people outside the state. But wherever you go in state, big city, small town or backwoods, you have no problem finding someone to talk Kentucky basketball. I can’t say that about whiskey or horses. UK basketball is the “tie that binds” the vast majority of people in this great state. IMO

Reactions: CatsFanIL
Full discosure: I'm 39, I grew up in Harrodsburg (Mercer County), been a die-hard Kentucky fan all my life. My best friend's grandpa used to work the "chain gang" at Commonwealth and at the score-table in Rupp, and I tagged along every chance I got. I live in Illinois now, but my 2 kids have grown up with UK pacifiers, UK blankets, UK balls, and as they've gotten older, all kinds of shirts/jerseys/etc. So I'm die-hard, won't ever change.

Now with that said, I want YOUR opinion on "What is Kentucky basketball"? I'm putting together something and I'll share it on here later, but there's been a lot of chatter lately about "this ain't Kentucky basketball". So simple question, in YOUR opinion, what is Kentucky basketball?

I appreciate it. Go Cats
Greatest college basketball program of all time.

Titles with 5 different coaches.

More wins than any other other program.

Simply the program that everyone is measured by.

Always been that way. Always will be that way.

More conference titles than all of the rest put together.

More SEC tourney titles than all of the rest put together.

When I was a child it was listening to Cawood call it on the radio while we stripped Tobacco at our Farm.
It was Goose being golden and the joy of winning it all in 1978.
It was my family talking about the Runts, Issel and chances lost.
It was Macy rubbing his socks at the free throw line and the arrival of Bowie.
It was total sadness when we got put on probation only to rise from the ashes with a group of Kentucky kids that played with more heart than any team I have seen in my lifetime. They knew the name on the front meant more than the one on the back.
It was crying like a whipped child when Laettner made the shot.
It was the Monster Mash and a few seasons later the best team I ever saw play in the 1996 National Champs.
It's so much more than just these few memories. It's a way of life in Kentucky. It's our past and present and I'm very concerned about the future.

I never comment on this forum because frankly, I just don’t care about UK basketball anymore. And that pains me. But to answer the question. What is Kentucky basketball to me? Taping games for my dad while he was at work and watching them with him when he got home. UK basketball was me shooting hoops in the driveway pretending to be one of the UK greats and hitting the game winning shot. Kentucky basketball was a family affair where our day was planned around tipoff. Today, I couldn’t name 5 players on UK roster and can’t name 3 from last season.

Born and raised in Harrodsburg also and still live here… I think Kentucky basketball means something different to everyone for many reasons. Bourbon and horse racing certainly are a huge part of Kentucky, especially to people outside the state. But wherever you go in state, big city, small town or backwoods, you have no problem finding someone to talk Kentucky basketball. I can’t say that about whiskey or horses. UK basketball is the “tie that binds” the vast majority of people in this great state. IMO
In Lexington, I very rarely encounter those conversations, and I consider myself pretty outgoing. I mean when I’m ever downtown and drive by Rupp, I think about it. In everyday work or church conversations it rarely comes up. I guess I’d have to visit these small towns more often to hear the discussion.

Last edited:
UCONN ON GAMEDAY TODAY IS WHAT KY BASKETBALL SHOULD AND WOULD BE WITHOUT CALTURD!

Retiring Rip Hamilton’s jersey today. Jim Calhoun is there with him. Rip hit a half-court shot straight out being cold. Calhoun says the best thing about it was having 2 Duke players having to watch it.
You can talk smack when you’ve won 3 NC’s.
Rip said last time he played on that court they were number 1 in the country and today they are ranked number 1 in the country.
5 NC’s with 3 different coaches. Definitely a blue blood program. Probably get number 6 this season.
If Calturd isn’t shown the door they may pass us in NC’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catfan2226
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT