ADVERTISEMENT

Why we lost this one is simple

Rob daring a guy who hadn't touched the rim on 3 3s to shoot 2 more wide open certainly didn't help. Nor did Cal reverting to what he always does, slowing it down and pounding it inside to a PF who misses clutch free throws.
Don't forget the absolutely stupid three he chucked shortly after allowing another three.

Reactions: Nix112
Dillingham turned it over at the end of the half which resulted in a KU 3. Then Dillingham sacrificed 2 threes late and then followed it up with an air ball on our end. Granted he went nuclear for a stretch in the first half he negated all of the good with poor play after that point and ultimately cost us the game.

We lost the game because Kansas is bigger, stronger, more experienced and more disciplined. This is what you get with our revolving door recruiting. Kansas played sound down the stretch and we fell apart and that’s due to lack of experience. That’s the plain and simple of it. Not to mention Kansas also has the better in game coach

There was a lot that went into this loss. Wagner & Edwards were not as advertised, Mitchell missed a bunch of ft’s, Rob melted down late, reed needed more time on the floor, Reeves missed a ton of shots & Kansas is dang good. Kentuckys only chance was to play fast and hit 3s. They got gassed in the 2nd half and couldn’t buy a 3. Still think they are better than the last few years though.

Wagner and Edwards looking lost surprises me
Edwards surprised me but as high as I was on Wagner I still think Cal has made a mistake trying to make him out to be a PG. Maybe it helps down the road but right now I can’t see it . He’s a combo guard not a PG. I was disappointed in him not finishing around the rim though .

Last edited:
Reed was absolutely awesome tonight but his turnover up 6 with 5 minutes to play where he drove Dickinson I think and tried to pass it to Reeves but essentially just handed it to KU for a dunk was the moment it slipped IMO. We score there and it’s over. We just miss a shot and don’t let them get a huge momentum shift we still might have won.

Go read the thread about dj being named starter when he was born or whatever. And then watch dillingham and Reed the last three minutes. And the term basketball Bennie will make sense.

DJ shot is struggling but he is by far the highest ceiling of our guards. Dillingham is going to be awesome but if you take away his streak of threes, he cost us a lot the rest of the time and people just can’t see past swoooosh.

Edwards surprised me but as high as I was on Wagner I still think Cal has made a mistake trying to make him out to be a PG. Maybe it helps down the road but right now I can’t see it . He’s a combo guard not a PG. It was disappointed in him finishing around the rim though .
Dillingham needs to be the PG. Quicker. Better passer. Unafraid.

Wagner couldn't get by his guy. Couldn't finish. Went left everytime it seemed.

My usual fear is that Cal will not make the change. At least move Wagner off the ball.

I think our lack of 7 footers is why we lost the game.

They wanted to win inside. We wanted to win outside. Their experienced guys executed better than our inexperienced guys.

If we had a 7 footer to guard HD, I think that's the difference.

We played really poorly in the 2nd half. Turned it over a lot, gave them open shots. We missed a lot of good looks. We missed free throws. Despite all that, despite being shorthanded, we were within 3 in crunch time. Within 3 of the #1 team in the country.

This game will pay huge dividends down the road assuming we do get 2/3 of our bigs

But defense is why we lost the game. Not any offense. We will fix that. I like the team.

Reactions: FtWorthCat
This game will pay huge dividends down the road assuming we do get 2/3 of our bigs

But defense is why we lost the game. Not any offense. We will fix that. I like the team.
Agree somewhat. Wagner and Edwards have to produce or there needs to be a change.

Dillingham needs to be the PG. Quicker. Better passer. Unafraid.

Wagner couldn't get by his guy. Couldn't finish. Went left everytime it seemed.

My usual fear is that Cal will not make the change. At least move Wagner off the ball.
Yea I think they gotta move DJ around and call plays with him coming off screens to free him some .

Rob is a natural PG. DJ hasn’t played pg since he was a freshman in HS I believe .

What a bunch of crying bit**s. Not even a UK fan but that was a great game. You’re teamed balled out. You had no bigs available tonight to offset the KU big but you all complain about is your coach loosing the game. By March your team will be nails so stop WHINNING.

We lost the game because Kansas is bigger, stronger, more experienced and more disciplined. This is what you get with our revolving door recruiting. Kansas played sound down the stretch and we fell apart and that’s due to lack of experience. That’s the plain and simple of it. Not to mention Kansas also has the better in game coach

I agree, although i was surprised to see KU making some unforced mistakes playing sloppy and taking some bad shots in the first half (for being such a veteran team).

Reeves needs to sit the last 4 minutes of any big game. Sick of seeing it.
I agree if he isn't hot. I'm sure there hasn't been a game since Reeves has been here that he has missed 3 threes in a row and shot anything but poorly the rest of the game. He has definitely not been clutch in his time at UK.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Players are going to have off nights but year in and year out Cal continues to let certain players simply play selfish and out of control. Tonight Wagner was horrible but Cal let him go do his thing like it was a July AAU game. Dillingham was feeling it and got out of control. The issue is Cal cannot or wont pull them in without going to stall ball. Rinse and repeat with Cal.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Surprised more posters aren't talking about Reeves taking so many 3s early in the shot clock. The 3s were falling in thr first half when the ball was being driven into tne paint and kicked out. Last 5 minutes that never happened bc Reeves jacked a 3 every time he touched the ball.

Last edited:
What a bunch of crying bit**s. Not even a UK fan but that was a great game. You’re teamed balled out. You had no bigs available tonight to offset the KU big but you all complain about is your coach loosing the game. By March your team will be nails so stop WHINNING.
The key thing here is you’re not a UK Fan so you haven’t had to deal with losing these kind of matchups early on like we have .

Last edited:
He’s a combo guard not a PG.

He’s neither. What kind of combo guard can’t shoot?

Wagner is a dude who dominated HS competition because he could blow by everyone. Now he can’t and he looks lost. Even when he got a step on guys tonight, he missed multiple layups because the defense recovered quicker than he was expecting.

I’m not trying to dog the kid, I like his energy and hustle. But we need him to have the confidence to take open shots and knock them down at a decent clip or he’s a liability. Right now he deserves to back up Reed.

Go read the thread about dj being named starter when he was born or whatever. And then watch dillingham and Reed the last three minutes. And the term basketball Bennie will make sense.

DJ shot is struggling but he is by far the highest ceiling of our guards. Dillingham is going to be awesome but if you take away his streak of threes, he cost us a lot the rest of the time and people just can’t see past swoooosh.
How in the world can someone watch this game and conclude that Dj has the highest ceiling of our gaurds. He cant beat his guy off the dribble.

Yea I think they gotta move DJ around and call plays with him coming off screens to free him some .

Rob is a natural PG. DJ hasn’t played pg since he was a freshman in HS I believe .
Yes. He looked stuck with the ball several times.

KU should have dominated UK actually. More depth. More experience. Thiero just continues to impress. Just makes plays. Reed and Dillingham affect the game. Not confident, but it should show Cal changes are needed.

He’s neither. What kind of combo guard can’t shoot?

Wagner is a dude who dominated HS competition because he could blow by everyone. Now he can’t and he looks lost. Even when he got a step on guys tonight, he missed multiple layups because the defense recovered quicker than he was expecting.

I’m not trying to dog the kid, I like his energy and hustle. But we need him to have the confidence to take open shots and knock them down at a decent clip or he’s a liability. Right now he deserves to back up Reed.
There are combo guards who strengths aren’t shooting. The point is he’s more of a Combo guard than he is a point guard . The offense clearly runs smoother with Rob.

We lost when Dillingham came in and blew it.. plain and simple
It was bad timing to put dillinghan bc at that point we were gonna win it with defense if we were gonna win it. Dillingham gave up multiple 3s then threw up a prayer. Cal doesn’t know how to play the right lineups pure and simple.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT