ADVERTISEMENT

Why we lost this one is simple

I think they're just going to shot a crap ton of 3's compared to any other Cal team, and some dudes are going to take more than they should be as a result. Going to be way more pertinent to look at the team total rather than brake down to who shot them. If they only shot 15 all game, and Burks/Adou are taking 8, than there is a problem.

JSxHMbP.png

54 minutes yielded 5 combined points! 1 for 18 from the field. Wagner with 1 assist? WTF?

They give us ANYTHING and it's a W...

After watching Cal's teams for years under utilizing the 3 pt shot I will not complain about them taking as many as they did, hit or miss. I'm just scared Cal will revert back to not using enough 3 pt shots.

After watching Cal's teams for years under utilizing the 3 pt shot I will not complain about them taking as many as they did, hit or miss. I'm just scared Cal will revert back to not using enough 3 pt shots.
when he has 7 footers on the floor

Reactions: bevcat
Ultimately though, those two defensive breakdowns where we gave up the two wide open threes are what broke our backs. We were up six with three minutes to go and in control. Those defensive breakdowns killed us, followed by a lot of one-on-one type play on the offensive end down the stretch.

Reeves, Thiero, Burks, Edwards, and Wagner shot 28 three point shots and made 4. The only one who should take more than two in 3 games is Reeves and he should
never be allowed to shoot 3/16 because when he goes cold he stays cold and isn't our only scoring option.
We lost when Cal did not manage the clock a day possession right before the half.

We lost when Cal did not manage the clock a day possession right before the half.
Well, there were lots of problems in the game from the coaches and players. I just listed one thing that would have made up the 5 point difference; I certainly didn't mean to imply that we played a perfect game except for the poor 3 point shooting(and the wrong players taking most of them).

Some might not like it but this is the answer. Things were getting tight but Adams was gone and McCullar was on his way out. Then Cal puts Dillingham back in the game after sitting forever.

Dillingham then just decided he wasn't going to guard Harris at all. Harris then proceeds to hit three threes and the game was over. Harris was stroking it from 3 and had a career night. Might want to guard him.
He didn't DECIDE that. That was Cal's game plan...don't you people pay attention to anything?

Didn't we have a 14 point lead? What happened to erase that?

But no, this is all Dillingham's fault.

We lost because we relied on jumpers that stopped falling and we stopped playing team offense. First half we had tons of assisted baskets. Second half barely any.

Unfortunately at the same time, Self got his guys heads back on straight and they started going back inside where we had no answer

Can point to several plays and coaching things that could have made a difference. To me the biggest blunder was only having your stat stuffer on the floor 16 minutes. Wonder if he had 14 more minutes how many more points, rebounds, assists and steals would have been contributed to the cause? Then you probably aren't anguishing over a play or substitute here and there.

Reactions: crestcat and bevcat
Well, there were lots of problems in the game from the coaches and players. I just listed one thing that would have made up the 5 point difference; I certainly didn't mean to imply that we played a perfect game except for the poor 3 point shooting(and the wrong players taking most of them).
I agree with your points totally, my point was even with all the bad shots at the end if we had taken care of the ball before halftime we would actually been up 2 with the ball with less than a minute to play.

Reactions: ukfan1622
I agree with your points totally, my point was even with all the bad shots at the end if we had taken care of the ball before halftime we would actually been up 2 with the ball with less than a minute to play.
It's so refreshing for somebody to to clarify their point of view without an insult to my intelligence for not understanding. Thank you for that. And I agree with you...

I am so commonly misunderstood that I now expect it and feel I need to explain the meanings of my posts...so let me try to do that. When we play a team with one primary scorer that player usually takes the most shots and is as likely to be open as any other player on that team. But with our team, the worst shooter is just as likely to take the next shot as the best shooter. That is the problem of the philosophy of "shoot if you are open". I want the other team's worst shooters to take the shots and Cal is fine if his worst shooters take the shots. WTF?
I mean, why does a poor 3 point shooter even spot up to take a 3 point shot? Why is that in the offense?

We lost this game not just because of cold 3 point shooting down the stretch. If Wagner finished some gimmes around the rim as well as Edwards, know their strenghts driving the ball and not jacking up 3's well beyond the arc. Edwards & Wagner will have to hit enough to keep the defense honest otherwise its just going to clog the paint with defenders sagging off them with no driving lanes. DJ can't be another Briscoe but will take Fox, Teague & Hawkins range from beyond the arc.

It's so refreshing for somebody to to clarify their point of view without an insult to my intelligence for not understanding. Thank you for that. And I agree with you...
I feel the same way, thanks for your kind comments.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT