ADVERTISEMENT

Why we lost this one is simple

I agree, although i was surprised to see KU making some unforced mistakes playing sloppy and taking some bad shots in the first half (for being such a veteran team).
That’s true and that was largely because they tried to match our speed, we sped them up and they got sloppy. They came out in the second half, played their style and won. All in all this was an encouraging loss for a young team, on paper we had no reason to be in the game and coulda won so

Yes. He looked stuck with the ball several times.

KU should have dominated UK actually. More depth. More experience. Thiero just continues to impress. Just makes plays. Reed and Dillingham affect the game. Not confident, but it should show Cal changes are needed.
Yeah couldn’t get by his man . He fumbled the ball after catching it a few times too . I think his confidence was down a bit .

I will praise him that no matter how bad he’s struggling right now it hasn’t shown effort wise.

I agree, although i was surprised to see KU making some unforced mistakes playing sloppy and taking some bad shots in the first half (for being such a veteran team).
Not their best effort tonight either. Both coaches have plenty of film to go over. KU played half the game making bad decision after bad decision with the ball.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
Dillingham turned it over at the end of the half which resulted in a KU 3. Then Dillingham sacrificed 2 threes late and then followed it up with an air ball on our end. Granted he went nuclear for a stretch in the first half he negated all of the good with poor play after that point and ultimately cost us the game.

Freshmen players are going to make some mistakes figuring stuff out, thats normal. The problem we have is most of them never come back so we get little to no traction year to year. Even Ray Charles can see that LOL.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
There was a lot that went into this loss. Wagner & Edwards were not as advertised, Mitchell missed a bunch of ft’s, Rob melted down late, reed needed more time on the floor, Reeves missed a ton of shots & Kansas is dang good. Kentuckys only chance was to play fast and hit 3s. They got gassed in the 2nd half and couldn’t buy a 3. Still think they are better than the last few years though.
Yep, and Reed made some uncharacteristic turnovers too. And shot that wild three that didn't help. Freshman mistakes.

Reactions: Emarc
We lost because we only scored 1 point in last 3 minutes of the game,wonder where I have seen that before. Despite having no big men, Wagner and Edwards choking on the big stage, Cals wierd sub patterns, playing a ton of freshman and several bad calls we were ahead by 6 at last TV time out. It is a pattern we have watched for years. Cal has no answers late in games. He doesnt use time out effectively late. He sets up plays his team cant run or puts the ball in the wrong persons hands. I am so sick of it.

This team got worn down at the very end, not enough players to win a game like this
that was my concern before the game when people were talking about uptempo and making Kansas play at a pace they are comfortable with.

I don't think UK would be comfortable doing that either, Given Cal's shortcomings with substitution and tempo, I question whether UK ever playing up tempo is a good idea. Granted, we'd all like to see it but being successful with our Coach is a tough sell.

Go read the thread about dj being named starter when he was born or whatever. And then watch dillingham and Reed the last three minutes. And the term basketball Bennie will make sense.

DJ shot is struggling but he is by far the highest ceiling of our guards. Dillingham is going to be awesome but if you take away his streak of threes, he cost us a lot the rest of the time and people just can’t see past swoooosh.
Lmao no he’s not. He also can’t get by his man. I love DJ, but both Reed and Dilly are better.

1. Fatigue from playing 7 guys set in and we started clanking and airballing everything including free throws
  2. Guys started to panic and take terrible shots outside of the offense
  3. Cal had some head scratching substitution patterns
  4. Cal started playing to not lose rather than to win
  5. Edwards and Wagner were not prepared for the big stage
  6. We had nobody to push Dickinson out of the paint and it didn't help that the refs let him push off and go over guys backs for board

I know Kansas dominated us down low but all these people claiming it would have been different if our bigs play probably don’t realize that the game gets played in the 60s or 70s instead of in the 80s. Even if you have 1 or even 2 of our bigs then Cal would run everything through them and the pace would favor Kansas way more. The only way we win is to play the style we did, we just can’t miss that many shots at the end.

Reactions: CatPhight
There was a lot that went into this loss. Wagner & Edwards were not as advertised, Mitchell missed a bunch of ft’s, Rob melted down late, reed needed more time on the floor, Reeves missed a ton of shots & Kansas is dang good. Kentuckys only chance was to play fast and hit 3s. They got gassed in the 2nd half and couldn’t buy a 3. Still think they are better than the last few years though.

Nominated for a Postie

616CRJMTWNL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Us not having any of our 7 footers had more to do with it than anything.

Wagner and Edward's surely didn't help though. Also, Rob was definitely a tale of two halves. He was absolutely amazing in the first half and then equally terrible in the second.

Reactions: bevcat and Graham51
Edwards surprised me but as high as I was on Wagner I still think Cal has made a mistake trying to make him out to be a PG. Maybe it helps down the road but right now I can’t see it . He’s a combo guard not a PG. I was disappointed in him not finishing around the rim though .
Around the rim is where I was shocked he was so bad. He'd been finishing everything w/ that left hand at the basket and last night he couldn't make the simplest lay-up.

When we was up around 3 or 4 late and Cal took Sheppard out they went up 3 or 4. Dillingham went under a screen and allowed a 3 pointer and then shot an air ball. After we got down like that then Cal puts Sheppard back in to try and save the day, but too late. Sheppard cannot be on the floor 16 minutes. he does way too many little things to help you win. Even after Cal had said the same a few days ago he does this. Worrying about individuals instead of the team. All I ask is to play the players that need to be out there and quit jerking them around! Just sit on the bench and let them do their thing instead of jerking things around. Sheppard, Thiero, Reeves and Mitchell should be in the game down the stretch. Period. Don't care who the fifth guy is right down but those four needed to be in there for sure and if we win we win if we lose we lose but have your most experienced, most talented and best fighters in there the last ten minutes.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Yeah couldn’t get by his man . He fumbled the ball after catching it a few times too . I think his confidence was down a bit .

I will praise him that no matter how bad he’s struggling right now it hasn’t shown effort wise.
I told my wife last night that I thought DJ was pressing because he was feeling the pressure of his less bally-hooed teammates (rob/reed) out-playing him to this point in the season.

We lost when Dillingham came in and blew it.. plain and simple
Some might not like it but this is the answer. Things were getting tight but Adams was gone and McCullar was on his way out. Then Cal puts Dillingham back in the game after sitting forever.

Dillingham then just decided he wasn't going to guard Harris at all. Harris then proceeds to hit three threes and the game was over. Harris was stroking it from 3 and had a career night. Might want to guard him.

that was my concern before the game when people were talking about uptempo and making Kansas play at a pace they are comfortable with.

I don't think UK would be comfortable doing that either, Given Cal's shortcomings with substitution and tempo, I question whether UK ever playing up tempo is a good idea. Granted, we'd all like to see it but being successful with our Coach is a tough sell.
The only way we can do up tempo w/ cal coaching is by platooning. Take the decision making on subs out of his hands for at least 3/4 of the game. He's the absolute worse coach I've ever seen when it comes to subbing, and really, in-game decision making in general.

kansas had Dick in son we did not reason we lost Cal let him slip away when he had the chance to get him guy was awesome meanwhile we had some bigs on the bench watching maybe they learned something from him.

Would love to see Sheppard add a floater to his arsenal.. He drove into the paint several times and looked to have a clean shot, stopped and passed out. A pull up or floater, even just taking it to the rack and drawing a foul would be nice. He was able to get by his man pretty easy. But many times would just stop and pass out. Also led to one of the heartbreaking turnovers late. All the freshmen will learn.

We lost due to freshman mistakes, but we had a chance to win because of the talent of our freshman. Kansas will get a little better by March but Ky will get a lot better. This team could be really special. Still pissed that we lost!

Reactions: bevcat and Emarc
It was bad timing to put dillinghan bc at that point we were gonna win it with defense if we were gonna win it. Dillingham gave up multiple 3s then threw up a prayer. Cal doesn’t know how to play the right lineups pure and simple.
He never has. It’s been a huge weakness of his since he has been here. But he plays favorites and I think that has a lot to do with it.

We lost because 2 players went 1 for 18 while getting 54 minutes. While 2 others went 10 for 17 and only getting 32 minutes. The latter got cold sitting on the bench and then started forcing things. Cal gets hot players shooting cold better than any opponent's coach.
Cal takes hot players out when they are destroying opponents. Never understood that.

Reactions: KyCatFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT