ADVERTISEMENT

Why The Backlash From BBN and National Sports Media May Actually Garner UK Respect

shadowman4

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2002
There appears to be a controversy brewing as to whether the scrutiny BBN has caused John Higgins will hurt or help UK's brand and national image going forward. I for one think it will help. While U.K. will always have our haters and detractors, I actually think that BBN standing up for ourselves along with the support we got from numerous media people wil make a statement. That statement should be this. No collegiate team should ever be put in a situation where our players have to compete at an unfair advantage. If that occurs than all the angst that we have put John Higgins through will be worth it and then some. After all, he almost single handedly prevented our players from reaching a dream of a life time by them not getting to play in The Final Four
It is my hope and belief, that officials for all types of collegiate sports will now be more aware of the scrutiny they are under should they choose to show favoritism for one team over another. As an example, I have a client who is a big Tennessee fan and really dislikes UK badketball because of the way we have owned the Vols over the years. He watched the game and actually called me today just to tell me what a screwing he thought we got from the officials. He felt it was more than warranted for BBN to act the way we have and said he only hoped Vol Nation would act the same in a similar situation. It shows that your fan base is passionate and will stand up and be counted should the situation arise.

We need to continue to make a statement by keeping this at the fore front of sports for several months. Continue to write emails to the appropriate officials at the NCAA lest this just be quickly forgotten.

Reactions: Bardstown
Whores with 15 year old recruits and at least a quarter century of classless courses in Crappell Hill.

Burn the witches!!!
NCAA has ALWAYS AlWAYS been against UK....every other blue blood gets away with murder....UK...not so much. Rupp must have truly pissed them off...good for Rupp, I hope he did!...NCAA and UNC, Kansas, Duke, UCLA go to hades....and everyone else....

Rooferees-Photo.jpg

This is from rooferees. Somehow it almost seems fair game to me.

Possibly, but I don't think so. The evidence against him tends to show that he's not the innocent victim of an irrational fanbase. Besides, anyone who postulates that an entire fanbase is crazy is a little suspect. Even 3rd party sports pundits saw the problem.

You mean the evidence as interpreted by the yelling screaming morons that trashed his site in the first place.

How will his peers and management interpret it? Those are the ones you should worry about.

No one is postulating the entire fan base is crazy. Is just a small segment that are crazy. They are just trying to hide in the majority now that the stupidity has been exposed.

Higgins is teflon now. We made him that way,
With that line of reasoning we should have just let Hitler continue to do his thing and not stopped him, and I suppose you are a Kentuckian transplanted to Alabama. What if in 1860s the Southerners had just allowed Northern oppression, they didn't stop it but slowed it down and what we are seeing today would have arrived on the scene much faster. This guy has to be held accountable and I understand that you are taking the high road. The NCAA is not going to hold him accountable, Kentucky and Calipari have their hands tied, we are the only avenue to raise such a clatter that his actions will be in the forefront, he has cost these kids immensely he ....not his family, but he, his livelihood and his reputation needs to take a hit. We hear complaining on this board all the time about the blue hairs sitting on their hands at games when they should be up verbally supporting these kids during a game, well I can tell you along with myself there were several blue hairs screaming their lungs out supporting those guys Sunday and booing those zebras terribly. Well we are very disappointed in Higgins and he is reaping the fruits of his actions.

Reactions: IIIBradIII
You mean the evidence as interpreted by the yelling screaming morons that trashed his site in the first place.

How will his peers and management interpret it? Those are the ones you should worry about.

No one is postulating the entire fan base is crazy. Is just a small segment that are crazy. They are just trying to hide in the majority now that the stupidity has been exposed.
I agree that attacking anyone's livelihood is out of bounds but publicizing this issue to a national level is a good thing. The only similar situation I can remember is Joey Crawford and the Spurs and eventually it got so highly publicized the league believed the integrity of the games he officiated with the Spurs were being questioned by the American public so they had to remove him from doing their games. The NCAA is a parasite which doesn't really do much good for its member institutions and totally failes at policing them all while profiting to the tune of billions. They will never publicly stop backing Higgins however there can be enough public pressure to remove him from future UK games IF they believe the integrity of the game is truly being questioned by the public and media costing them $$$$ which is what they truly care about.

With that line of reasoning we should have just let Hitler continue to do his thing and not stopped him, and I suppose you are a Kentuckian transplanted to Alabama. What if in 1860s the Southerners had just allowed Northern oppression, they didn't stop it but slowed it down and what we are seeing today would have arrived on the scene much faster. This guy has to be held accountable and I understand that you are taking the high road. The NCAA is not going to hold him accountable, Kentucky and Calipari have their hands tied, we are the only avenue to raise such a clatter that his actions will be in the forefront, he has cost these kids immensely he ....not his family, but he, his livelihood and his reputation needs to take a hit. We hear complaining on this board all the time about the blue hairs sitting on their hands at games when they should be up verbally supporting these kids during a game, well I can tell you along with myself there were several blue hairs screaming their lungs out supporting those guys Sunday and booing those zebras terribly. Well we are very disappointed in Higgins and he is reaping the fruits of his actions.

You equating this to anything to do with Hitler shows your perspective is irrational. We talking bed bug crazy here,

Reactions: awf
I agree that attacking anyone's livelihood is out of bounds but publicizing this issue to a national level is a good thing. The only similar situation I can remember is Joey Crawford and the Spurs and eventually it got so highly publicized the league believed the integrity of the games he officiated with the Spurs were being questioned by the American public so they had to remove him from doing their games. The NCAA is a parasite which doesn't really do much good for its member institutions and totally failes at policing them all while profiting to the tune of billions. They will never publicly stop backing Higgins however there can be enough public pressure to remove him from future UK games IF they believe the integrity of the game is truly being questioned by the public and media costing them $$$$ which is what they truly care about.

He's got buddies with whistles. Most likely a sympathetic management. You think he has to be in the game to cause us huge problems? Good luck with that.

Reactions: KYCAT78 and awf

Crawford was a stain on the NBA and it took YEARS and someone with the stature of Gregg Popovich to get the league to make him retire. He screwed the Celtics repeatedly, especially in the 2010 Finals.

It may take as much time for us to get rid of John Higgins but it needs to be done.

I saw a tweet yesterday that said Higgins has called every Final Four since 2010, with the exception of........2012. If that is true even more eyebrows should be raised about him. UK may never win another championship as long as he is around.

I saw a tweet yesterday that said Higgins has called every Final Four since 2010, with the exception of........2012. If that is true even more eyebrows should be raised about him. UK may never win another championship as long as he is around.
Things that make you go Hmmmm!

Stop being so afraid of Higgins and his buddies. Yes several fans went too far, but his bias is finally getting the spotlight it deserves. I don't care what level of power a crook happens to have, they deserve to be called out for it. It doesn't matter if a janitor or the President is caught doing wrong - they should both be punished equally for their crimes. You shouldn't be afraid of the President just because of his position. Stand up and be counted among those who want this kind of bias to stop.

He uses the name "Rooferee" when it comes to his business people....that should be a huge red flag for an organization like the NCAA that claims it's all about the "student athlete". I don't condone or support the actions of the fans that have attacked his business...but he kind of brought it on himself. When he aligned his roofing business or his "livelihood" (don't make me laugh cause he makes around $250,000.00 or more officiating,) with being a well known ref in the sports world he opened that door. At some point in our lives we have to understand accountability can flow both ways.

Last edited:
I completely agree. Threats and fake business reviews are not helpful, but keeping the dialog alive about Higgins's bias (and the actions he clearly took as a result of it!) is exactly what needs to be done. This needs to go on for months.

Correct but in the right manner. Like you said, threats and fake business reviews are worthless. It just needs to be done in the right forum so that Higgins is not made to look like the victim.

Reactions: catzcan
Stop being so afraid of Higgins and his buddies. Yes several fans went too far, but his bias is finally getting the spotlight it deserves. I don't care what level of power a crook happens to have, they deserve to be called out for it. It doesn't matter if a janitor or the President is caught doing wrong - they should both be punished equally for their crimes. You shouldn't be afraid of the President just because of his position. Stand up and be counted among those who want this kind of bias to stop.

What crime? What crook? What power? We're talking an official in a sporting event. We're talking an unruly mob trashing virtual store fronts. You are screaming "KILL THE MONSTER" with pitchforks and clubs. The rest of the world sees a little guy trying to call a sporting event that might have made a few mistakes.

I don't want a pitchfork. I think you guys carrying them look stupid.

I am betting he never calls another UK game.
He shouldn't. And schools and coaches should have some say in things like that, especially in tournament games.

I try and stay rationalist about refs. And the rational viewpoint is that most are trying to do the best possible job, and a negligible amount of them are corrupt in any way. Mistakes are inevitable, and a big chunk of people view those mistakes with an enormous, preformed confirmation bias ("Oh my God, they're out to screw us, and look at what they did!!!!") that's very hard to take seriously.

But the rationalist in me also says that the people who run college sports should stop acting like officials are these perfect, untouchable unicorns. Human nature being what it is, and with the level of subjectivity involved with refereeing a basketball game being what it is, it's INEVITABLE that certain refs aren't going to like certain coaches, and vice-versa. So why not allow coaches a certain amount of veto power? If the coach really feels like a certain ref has an ax to grind, don't put that ref on that game.

If I'm supposed to give the refs the benefit of the doubt, with the realization that refs are human and never going to be perfect (in large part because there is no such thing when it comes to officiating a game), then the people who run the sport should understand that, refs being human, they are going to be susceptible to letting biases, agendas, dislikes, and so on effect how they call games. And if it's something that continually pops up between certain refs and certain coaches, the smart move is to try and avoid it.

What crime? What crook? What power? We're talking an official in a sporting event. We're talking an unruly mob trashing virtual store fronts. You are screaming "KILL THE MONSTER" with pitchforks and clubs. The rest of the world sees a little guy trying to call a sporting event that might have made a few mistakes.

I don't want a pitchfork. I think you guys carrying them look stupid.
Wow, calm down - it looks like you're the one screaming here. As I already stated, there are always those that take things too far - but that's no reason to clam up when you or something you are passionate about is clearly wronged. From the videos being posted and the facts now coming out about his actions in past tournaments re Kentucky, it's clear he's officiating with a bias against us. That's the "wrong" we're all talking about and he deserves to have it aired out in the sunshine for all to see. He's more than welcome to address it and provide his side of the story.

It's odd that as a UK fan you would call his bias "a few mistakes". There's a reason many of the talking heads agree with us - even those that generally do not.

You equating this to anything to do with Hitler shows your perspective is irrational. We talking bed bug crazy here,
I get your point and agree that Hitler is far worse, but you didn't get my point it is the same thing on a lessor scale...the point was you can sit there like a pacifist or join the fray and do your best to stop it which one are you thinking.

I get your point and agree that Hitler is far worse, but you didn't get my point it is the same thing on a lessor scale...the point was you can sit there like a pacifist or join the fray and do your best to stop it which one are you thinking.

There is a museum in DC you need the visit if you think there is the remotest similarity.

Unfortunately fans didn't have a dog in the hunt. Any wrong, if any at all, committed was against the university. If the university was pursuing remediation, that effort has been compromised.

Last edited:
There is a museum in DC you need the visit if you think there is the remotest similarity.

Unfortunately fans didn't have a dog in the hunt. Any wrong, if any at all, committed was against them. If they were pursuing remediation, that effort has been compromised.
Hey buddy I can write you a book on any American war in history especially World War 2, you are hingeing your rebuttal on Hitler and you are right on that point, but that as I said earlier was not a comparison of John Higgins and NCAA to what he done but rather the point you don't just sit back and do nothing either. I am totally against death threats and I wouldn't personally attack his business but it sure doesn't bother me that his business is being attacked. All he had to do was blow that whistle the same at both ends and he would have been in the clear as far as I am concerned.

Hey buddy I can write you a book on any American war in history especially World War 2, you are hingeing your rebuttal on Hitler and you are right on that point, but that as I said earlier was not a comparison of John Higgins and NCAA to what he done but rather the point you don't just sit back and do nothing either. I am totally against death threats and I wouldn't personally attack his business but it sure doesn't bother me that his business is being attacked. All he had to do was blow that whistle the same at both ends and he would have been in the clear as far as I am concerned.

Back peddle all you like. You said what you said. Piss poor analogy. Deal with it. You stating that you wouldn't do it but you condone it tells me all I need to know about you.

It comes down to this. The idiot bullies threw a rock through the guys store front window (virtually). The rock was blue and white. The store owner (Higgins) now has the ball. Will he go after the idiot bullies? No. He'll go after their parents (university). He has friends. His friends are heavily armed with whistles.

This is in retaliation phase now. The nation media is aware of it. They will plaster it all over and I bet Higgins will not be the villain. University will have to do damage control as best they can. I bet they are really happy with a few of our idiot fans.

Reactions: atticusfitch
It is unfortunate that every fan base have a few idiot fans that bring disgrace to the program as a whole. However, there are 2 different issues here. Had John Higgins acted with integrity and called a fair game none of this would have happened. I am certainly not condoning death threats or rocks being thrown Higgin business store front window. By the same token, something needs to be done or said to quell the anger of the BBN's fan base. I know it is too much to ask for, but should someone like The National Director of College Basketball Officiating go on record with a generic explanation of the possibility there were some missed calls in the U.K. Vs. UNC, as there is in others, then maybe BBN would take that as an Olive Branch of sorts.

Back peddle all you like. You said what you said. Piss poor analogy. Deal with it. You stating that you wouldn't do it but you condone it tells me all I need to know about you.

It comes down to this. The idiot bullies threw a rock through the guys store front window (virtually). The rock was blue and white. The store owner (Higgins) now has the ball. Will he go after the idiot bullies? No. He'll go after their parents (university). He has friends. His friends are heavily armed with whistles.

This is in retaliation phase now. The nation media is aware of it. They will plaster it all over and I bet Higgins will not be the villain. University will have to do damage control as best they can. I bet they are really happy with a few of our idiot fans.
You know you remind me of the media you pick out one part of a sentence and go to war with it and neglect the rest. I will agree with you I should not have mentioned Hitler and I wouldn't throw a rock through his business window of any color, but the rest of your oratory is your opinion and I don't agree with it. How does Higgins have the ball, should we just sit back and say hey it ok you can cost out team and fans a chance to compete for a national title, and we will get on our little computers and send Mark Emmert a email telling him that John Higgins gave UNC an unfair advantage in a supposedly neutral game and yes send John one also and say we wish you would be more respectful of our team in the future.....right!!!

First of all, when did the supposed blue and white rock get thrown through Higgins's business store front window? Is there any actual proof it was a UK fan? If in fact a rock was thrown, it would probably have been done at night, after business hours to avoid any witnesses. If in fact this did occur, what proof is there that it was indeed a U.K. fan? Higgins has already proved he has no integrity or moral compass, as proven by the fact he prevented the Kentucky Basketball Team from having a fair opportunity to compete. This could have been done by Higgins to put U.K. in a bad light to deflect all the negative attention he was getting. It could also have been done by anyone trying to further put The Kentucky Basketball Program in a bad light.

I agree completely.

However, you mention that no team should be subject to an "unfair advantage", especially in games like those in the NCAAT that mean so much, not only to the players, but the fans and schools involved. But to play this from "their" (NCAA) side, my gut says they are doing this because they think Calipari and Kentucky are operating from a position of an "unfair advantage" by having the "power" to recruit and sign so many players that are already at the professional level. The way I think they see it, we have a situation where we are "unfairly" pitting professional basketball players against amateurs (you know how the NCAA loves to toss around the word "amateurism"), and thus their way to "balance" the scales is to plant a few more challenges in our way than other teams might see - refs, tough brackets, strange and questionable seeding rationale, etc.

So while I do see what they do as an unfair advantage for teams hoping to beat cal's "pro" teams, I can also see how they think what Calipari is capable of achieving as also being "unfair" to the rest of the NCAA.

Don't agree with that as other teams/schools/coaches just need to adapt in the competitive world of recruiting and coaching, but this kind of rationale on the part of the goofballs at the NCAA wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Reactions: catzcan
First of all, when did the supposed blue and white rock get thrown through Higgins's business store front window? Is there any actual proof it was a UK fan? If in fact a rock was thrown, it would probably have been done at night, after business hours to avoid any witnesses. If in fact this did occur, what proof is there that it was indeed a U.K. fan? Higgins has already proved he has no integrity or moral compass, as proven by the fact he prevented the Kentucky Basketball Team from having a fair opportunity to compete. This could have been done by Higgins to put U.K. in a bad light to deflect all the negative attention he was getting. It could also have been done by anyone trying to further put The Kentucky Basketball Program in a bad light.
That was exactly what was on mind also I wondered how e was so certain it was a Kentucky fan.

If you are looking for approval from the national media that is generally critical of UK or from hostile fan bases, forget it. You are never going to get that. So I don't understand the idea of winning or losing the public discussion on this.

Fans should just refuse to apologize for what other people are doing. When someone writes a column and says the lunatic fringe that's threatening a person is 'taking over' the fan base, you are never going to win that person over.

Not seeking justice from the National Media, as I said we are always going to have our detractors. I still believe that going forward, that the uproar this has caused might cause more scrutiny on college basketball, at least in the NCAA Tourney, then some good will have come fro all of this. I do not think any other college basketball official would want the scrutiny from U.K. or any other fan base because there fans were outraged due to their team getting the bad officiating we revived in last Sunday's game.
Maybe not now but maybe 10-20 years from now , Kentucky will be treated fair and equitably with regard to games officiated and the whole NCAA seeding process, where we seem to get shafted as well year in and year out. The National Media did in fact write articles to this point after this years NCAA Tourney Seeding process, saying in fact Kentucky was treated unfairly yet again.

I agree completely.

However, you mention that no team should be subject to an "unfair advantage", especially in games like those in the NCAAT that mean so much, not only to the players, but the fans and schools involved. But to play this from "their" (NCAA) side, my gut says they are doing this because they think Calipari and Kentucky are operating from a position of an "unfair advantage" by having the "power" to recruit and sign so many players that are already at the professional level. The way I think they see it, we have a situation where we are "unfairly" pitting professional basketball players against amateurs (you know how the NCAA loves to toss around the word "amateurism"), and thus their way to "balance" the scales is to plant a few more challenges in our way than other teams might see - refs, tough brackets, strange and questionable seeding rationale, etc.

So while I do see what they do as an unfair advantage for teams hoping to beat cal's "pro" teams, I can also see how they think what Calipari is capable of achieving as also being "unfair" to the rest of the NCAA.

Don't agree with that as other teams/schools/coaches just need to adapt in the competitive world of recruiting and coaching, but this kind of rationale on the part of the goofballs at the NCAA wouldn't surprise me one bit.
I would agree with that against most teams but not against a blueblood team of which UNC is one.

ADVERTISEMENT