ADVERTISEMENT

Why does everyone assume Reed is gone??

stuway

Senior
Mar 29, 2007
I understand his draft projections. I understand our history of losing kids after a year is par for the course

However with all that said, Reed grew up in Kentucky as a UK fan. All these other 1 and dones are from outta state

I believe he will easily make a few million her next year. Couple that with him needing to improve in a few areas, I think he comes back.

I honestly think we get a lot of this team back.

It's gonna suck because the coach isn't gonna change. I do firmly believe Reed has unfinished business with UK basketball. He stays IMO. What's say you BBN??

IMO, he's a lot more ready than many others in the past who declared. Will staying at UK, presumably under Cal, enhance his development or would playing/practicing against the elites in the NBA do more? If he's projected top 12, let's say, would another year increase his value and money when he does declare? It might, but only incrementally. Plus, he will have lost a year of several million more by waiting. If the draft projections are accurate, I think it would be a bad move on many fronts to stay at UK.

I understand his draft projections. I understand our history of losing kids after a year is par for the course

However with all that said, Reed grew up in Kentucky as a UK fan. All these other 1 and dones are from outta state

I believe he will easily make a few million her next year. Couple that with him needing to improve in a few areas, I think he comes back.

It's gonna suck because the coach isn't gonna change. I do firmly believe Reed has unfinished business with UK basketball. He stays IMO. What's say you BBN??
I think if the coal barons take care of his NIL he could stay. The $1 mil being bandied about isn't gonna do it imo.

I would say, if Calipari leaves, Reed will likely leave. So, if I have to choose between a 2nd year of Reed or another year of Calipari's coaching, what do I choose? That's a good question. As a lottery pick, it would be tough to turn that down. If the Sheppard family has inside info on a potential new coach and they like that person, it's possible he returns. The NIL money has to help the situation. He's gonna be set for life no matter what he chooses.

What is most likely? I have a feeling Calipari gets one more season. That's not what I want, but I think it will likely happen. If that happens, I wouldn't be surprised if Sheppard returns as part of a package deal, so to speak. The "revenge tour," as Calipari mentioned in the show last night (I didn't listen to it, but I've read a transcript). Cal may use some returnees as some leverage to get another year. I'm just reading between the lines.

For my part, I say just cut Calipari loose and let the chips fall where they may. Get on a coaching search ASAP and get that new coach in place before these players have to make a final decision. Maybe, if it's the right coach, some of them will stay. Otherwise, I have a feeling we will see a complete roster turnover. I'm willing to deal with that at this point, though. Just get ready for that if Cal is fired.

First, it's Reed's decision and I'll cheer for him regardless of where he's playing next year.

However, if the NBA is his ultimate dream, then he should go this year for a few reasons. One, it's a weak draft and that helps his draft status. Two, the NBA usually (not always) punishes a lottery player for returning. In other words, few projected lottery players who return to college improve their draft position, and many go lower after returning to college. Three, the generational changing money is in endorsements and the 2nd contract. The sooner you get to the 2nd contract, the better. Last, I think (not sure) Reed is a year older than many freshmen.

I agree with those who say Reed will not get drafted in top 5-10. Maybe someone takes him there, but I think he falls to the back end of the lottery. However, that's a great place for him.

I do believe he bleeds blue and wants to be part of changing UK's postseason experience. He would receive the highest NIL $ next year and I believe he wants to get a college degree. However, lots of players get their degrees while in the NBA.

In the end, I expect Reed to declare for NBA.

I don't think growing up in KY has anything to do with making a smart business decision and if you are a lock top 10 pick then the smart decision for your career is to go pro. His hero status is forever set now, he has realized his dream of playing at UK and playing well. He will forever be a state hero. I am not a fan of all the OaD's but if you are projected to go in the top 10, as he is, those are the people who should go. I think when people say he should come back for whatever reason, its more about projecting what we want to see from an in state player than reality. Yes, he will make money next year via NIL, but not what he could make for a top 10 contract overall, and yes he has things he needs to work on, but that is an argument for him to go. His stock will never be higher than it is right now, the last game was literally the only bad game he had all year, going pro means he can work on those weaknesses full time. Now, that could change when he goes to the combine and to individual workouts of course, but I feel like going pro should be his mindset as of now. My issue are with the players who are fringe to second round at best, and those who leave knowing they aren't going to get drafted. That is why we can't build any continuity, no one stays. We will never win anything major again bringing in 6-9 players every year, its not going to happen. At any rate, I am getting into the weeds, if Reed gets a top 10 guarantee he should go

If Cal is back, Reed is back. His family knows he isn't ready for the NBA yet. But If Cal is gone I can see them choosing the league over a transfer. I guess unless cal's replacement is a banger.

Reactions: IL Wildcat

Jeff’s family isn’t stupid. Even if he wanted to put off the NBA they know Calipari has a history of playing freshman. If Reed returns, he will split time with whatever freshman Cal decides he can get drafted. I’m not coming back and doing a second year competing against a freshman that’s stinking it up but starts and plays before me. The Sheppards are good people but they knew their Son should be starting. Turn down that money to come back to that ??? Fat chance if it was me.

Everyone and believe he or other's will be back is relative.

this:

lets say he's picked 10th.

Year one: $4,409,500
Year two: $4,629,900
those are guaranteed no matter what happens

Year three: $4,850,200
this is a team option, but it is almost always picked up. Very rarely is it not.

Year four: $6,184,005
Right before this year is the time you can sign your extension

Year five: $7,090,992
after this year your extension kicks in, which even for role players is about $15 million a year

Any other questions?

Because if he's a lottery pick, it's the smartest financial decision he can make by far. He could come back and drop out of the lottery and now he's lost millions.

He can always get a degree later.

With Cal returning, his chances of college basketball success (tournament, etc.) are very slim. And his chance of getting good coaching to develop him as a player are also very slim.

Reactions: augustaky1

He’s not coming back. Especially to regress under Calipari’s shit coaching.

Him being from Kentucky doesn’t = passing up $16 million dollars to come back and play for a coach that runs no offense and admittedly didn’t start him so other players feelings wouldn’t get hurt.

I’d advise him to declare 100% if he was my son.

If Cal is back, Reed is back. His family knows he isn't ready for the NBA yet. But If Cal is gone I can see them choosing the league over a transfer. I guess unless cal's replacement is a banger.
This doesn't make sense to me but a lot of ppl keep saying that. The Sheppard's are KY people, not Cal groupies. Cal just had an entire season where he failed to make Reed a starter and where he failed to teach Reed basic fundamentals of defense. Why in the world would they be Calipari or bust?

Despite his projection, I still think this kid grew up loving UK too much to go out like this. His dad was a hero for a SEC title and national championship and you're okay with your only experience ending in the first round against Oakland?

I think he returns. If it was anyone else, I wouldn't be delusional.

Reactions: stuway

How many kids have returned since 2009 that were projected top 5? That’s why.

Yep, like it or not, I think that is the case. As you say, UNLESS the Sheppards strongly approve of Cal's replacement. If they do, Reed may return. I think Reed wants to return. Just my opinion. I think playing at UK is his dream, more so than playing in the NBA. The NBA will be there, but this is the time of his life- playing out his dream. That would be my pitch to Reed, by the way. If Cal goes, that decision to leave becomes easier for Reed and his family.

If I'm Mitch and I'm serious about sending Calipari packing, I'm gonna want some input from the Sheppard family. I might even run by some of the potential candidates to get a feel for what would keep Reed at UK another season. But ultimately, if I'm Mitch, I'm recommending a pay-off of the 33 million and sending Cal on down the road, whatever that means.

First, it's Reed's decision and I'll cheer for him regardless of where he's playing next year.

However, if the NBA is his ultimate dream, then he should go this year for a few reasons. One, it's a weak draft and that helps his draft status. Two, the NBA usually (not always) punishes a lottery player for returning. In other words, few projected lottery players who return to college improve their draft position, and many go lower after returning to college. Three, the generational changing money is in endorsements and the 2nd contract. The sooner you get to the 2nd contract, the better. Last, I think (not sure) Reed is a year older than many freshmen.

I agree with those who say Reed will not get drafted in top 5-10. Maybe someone takes him there, but I think he falls to the back end of the lottery. However, that's a great place for him.

I do believe he bleeds blue and wants to be part of changing UK's postseason experience. He would receive the highest NIL $ next year and I believe he wants to get a college degree. However, lots of players get their degrees while in the NBA.

In the end, I expect Reed to declare for NBA.

I definitely know what you mean about the 2nd contracts but $16-$20 million is also generational changing money.

Despite his projection, I still think this kid grew up loving UK too much to go out like this. His dad was a hero for a SEC title and national championship and you're okay with your only experience ending in the first round against Oakland?

I think he returns. If it was anyone else, I wouldn't be delusional.
It won't be any different next year. Nobody thinks it will.

“Not ready” is too close minded.

He will most likely make a guaranteed $16-$20 million. He should absolutely go.

Why return to play for a coach we all want fired?

Edit- me saying “close minded” is not trying to be insulting. I just mean I think that term is overused. No offense or anything 🙌🏽

Reactions: TM2013
Really, the ONLY reason why he'd go, is that for some time, and maybe even still today.. he was a top5 lottery pick.

But even that was always a little high for me, as those draft picks NEED to be franchise players. Reed kind of wavered a bit in the end, and I think that and the combines/workouts will say that he's someone who needs another year. He is kind of slight build, heck even looks like he still has some baby fat (Reed I'm sorry if you read this, mean no disrespect lol)..

I think hes going to find that this jump would be a little early, and the UK ties, along with the notion of being a 3-4 year player only 4 months ago, probably means hes fine coming back. He has the game and size of someone who could go whenever. He doesn't have to cash in now on some 7 foot frame.

The only other thing here.. his relationship with Cal.. No one really has any idea. He could hate the guy, or he loves him.

If he were my son, it would all depend on Cal. If Cal leaves, as he should, I would advise my son to go back to college and enjoy the experience. The NBA isn't going anywhere.

IF Cal is coming back to UK, I'd tell my son to declare for the NBA and get away from that disaster.

Case in point the flip kid from Duke. Why risk staying another year and risking being a lotto pick. Can his draft status really improve that much by staying another year? Unlikely.

The more logical and rational question is OP, why do you assume that he’s not gone?

This is the perfect draft for a player like him to take advantage of. He’s one year closer to a second contract. He can get multimillion dollar endorsement deals alone. He’s NEVER going higher than he will in this draft, and on and on and on!

Never mind, I’ll play…

Why does everyone assume Reed isn’t going to stay all 4 years? Heck, he could even Redshirt a year and train behind the scenes, and technically get a 5th year! After that, he could become a Graduate Assistant and forgo the NBA all together!

This place becomes a clown show during times like this🤡🤡🤡

Good discussion and I understand. I still think he comes back and will until I hear otherwise

I'll keep up with this thread until then as well. Many act like I'm an idiot for this train of thought. We shall see. But this is a KY kid, it's different than all the other 1 and dones and I don't think he wants to go out losing his last 2 games with a 1st round flameout

He will be back and many will eat crow gladly I'd say

Historically weaker draft and the projection of being one of the first couple American players drafted is something he even himself would'nt have projected this early

Playing for Uk is a dream- but so is the NBA and this opportunity would be hard to pass up on if he can get that guarantee

Ill say though- I would be sick if he went to the NBA and dropped down the boards as the draft was closer/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT