ADVERTISEMENT

Why Stoops is on the hot seat?

Catswin9

Blue Chip Prospect
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2015
Let's be very clear and upfront. Crawling into a pizza bowl is not success! True success will be measured by how competitive we are against the Alabama's of the world.

For example, last year we got embarrassed by UT and others. My hopes are that Stoops team is at the level that shows real success.

Go Cats!

Reactions: Bryo72
Not on hot seat, but should be. A $200 million investment for five wins isn't getting it done. UK have gotten better results without that major financial commitment.

I love Hot Seat blogs and posts. Usually funny and, except for slam dunks either way, seldom correct.

I look at "hot seats" as having two different sources of heat, so that is 2 different hot seats or let's say a different source of heat under each cheek. [laughing]

Under the Left Cheek we have the "Popularity With the Fans" torch
Under the Right Cheek we have the "Likely to be Fired After This Year" torch.

And to keep it simple we have 3 different temperatures...Cool, Warm and Hot.

Anything less than 1 Warm and 1 Hot is simply not a Hot Seat. For Stoops I rate it:

Left Cheek: Warm
Right Cheek: Cool

What about you?

Peace

Let's be very clear and upfront. Crawling into a pizza bowl is not success! True success will be measured by how competitive we are against the Alabama's of the world.

For example, last year we got embarrassed by UT and others. My hopes are that Stoops team is at the level that shows real success.

Go Cats!
With all due respect..."Stoops success will be measured by how competitive we are the Alabama's of the world"... so then I take it that every coach in the SEC is on the hot seat? People like you have got to stop this with being competitive with Alabama as a measure of our success and nobody else in the sec beats them either... how about we try beating Otis on a regular basis along with Georgia ,Vandy Mississippi State, Fla and others before we set our sites on Alabama... people like you who hav this mentality just need to stop and give it a rest

Not on hot seat, but should be. A $200 million investment for five wins isn't getting it done. UK have gotten better results without that major financial commitment.
Isn't getting it done? It was JUST finished.

With all due respect..."Stoops success will be measured by how competitive we are the Alabama's of the world"... so then I take it that every coach in the SEC is on the hot seat? People like you have got to stop this with being competitive with Alabama as a measure of our success and nobody else in the sec beats them either... how about we try beating Otis on a regular basis along with Georgia ,Vandy Mississippi State, Fla and others before we set our sites on Alabama... people like you who hav this mentality just need to stop and give it a rest
^
What he said.

Reactions: Poetax
Before we can be competitive with the Alabamas of the world we first need to be competitive with the UT'so and UofL's of the world.

And this hotseat nonsense is just that....NONSENSE

Reactions: Fecesforbrains

Go Cats!
Yes because we've had so much success before with our football program. Stoops isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: merrimanm

Go Cats![/QUOTE

Go Cats!
Wow! You would think coach Mark Stoops came into a situation were the football team was winning NC every year. If you guys are not able to see the progress he has made you are blind. We are way ahead of where were. It takes time. Nobody wants to hear that but it's the truth. And switching coaches is not the answer. IMO.

Go Cats!

Alabama? Another just awful post.

A bowl win this year would be a great step in the right direction.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
This guy can't coach. Recruited well ( by UK standards) For 3 years. He hasn't developed them on the field. Frankly he looks lost on the sidelines sometimes. Now the recruiting shop has sailed. He lost that momentum after last season. Winning 4 or 5 games this year will be the nail in the coffin. If UK chooses to keep stoops then they're settling for 4 and 5 win seasons. Forget competing with the big boys. This guy has been here 4 years and we can't win 3 conference games . Joke

Reactions: jnewc2
It would take a massive, deplorable collapse for stoops safety to be even remotely questioned after this season...ie, his seat is t hit at all.

If stoops gets to a bowl this season or next, he'll get an extension. If he doesn't, won't be pretty for him.

Reactions: greginky1957
He's on the hot seat because - if we don't make a bowl - he will have had four straight losing seasons while being beaten four consecutive times by a coach we passed on in order to hire him (while said coach is probably leading a rival school to a January bowl). At what other SEC school would that not have the football coach on the hot seat? It's year four now. It's time to start producing.

This guy can't coach. Recruited well ( by UK standards) For 3 years. He hasn't developed them on the field. Frankly he looks lost on the sidelines sometimes. Now the recruiting shop has sailed. He lost that momentum after last season. Winning 4 or 5 games this year will be the nail in the coffin. If UK chooses to keep stoops then they're settling for 4 and 5 win seasons. Forget competing with the big boys. This guy has been here 4 years and we can't win 3 conference games . Joke

He's on the hot seat because - if we don't make a bowl - he will have had four straight losing seasons while being beaten four consecutive times by a coach we passed on in order to hire him (while said coach is probably leading a rival school to a January bowl). At what other SEC school would that not have the football coach on the hot seat? It's year four now. It's time to start producing.

Where do these guys come from?

That's what I'm saying now.

Reactions: Pike 96
Nothing he does this year can put him on a hot seat. His buyout is too expensive. I'm not sure why so many of you can't get that through your heads.

Reactions: brianpoe
For those in the fire stoops crowd. I ask you. Is the football program in better shape now than it was when he took the reigns?

If yes, then he should not be on the hot seat. He still hasn't had a complete roster turnover to his credit.

If no, he should of already been fired or in a do or die season. explain why you don't think the program is in better shapeIs roster in worse shape? Or what's the reasoning behind your thoughts

My opinion we are Head and shoulders ahead of where we was the day he took over.

when you put it that way....ive said it more than once on here, 2017 is the year UK football takes it up a level. unless this year is a total cluster, i believe stoops should get that chance.

His seat is warm but he's here for 2 years barring some disastrous season like 3-8 or worse. A lot riding on this year but Bama isn't a measuring stick. Not today, not 10 years from now.

For those in the fire stoops crowd. I ask you. Is the football program in better shape now than it was when he took the reigns?

If yes, then he should not be on the hot seat. He still hasn't had a complete roster turnover to his credit.

No offense, but it wouldn't take a whole heck of a lot to have improved upon Joker's terrible tenure. If Joker Phillips is your measuring stick for keeping a coach around (in year FOUR, btw) you're going to have decade upon decade of mediocre football teams (like we've seen for quite a while because of low expectations and commitment from individuals that have this mentality in key positions at UK).

And roster turnover? My gosh man, some of you act like his recruits have only been here for one year. His first class is now SENIORS. Yes, SENIORS. Not freshmen, SENIORS. In 2016 it doesn't take 10 years to see some progress from a football team. This isn't 1950 where coaches get a decade to show what they've got. The dude has shown time and time again that he's in over his head, I'm sorry, but it's the truth. He's hired 3 different offensive coordinators in 4 years. He continues to keep on first time defensive coordinator DJ Eliot because they're close buddies. He hired Craig Naivar. He hired Shannon Dawson. He hired Tommy Mainord. He hired John Schlarman. He hired Jimmy Brumbaugh. He chose not to even have a special teams coach at all for one season (which still boggles my mind). He loses close games because he's always running around like a chicken with his head cut off on the sidelines during the game because he's so emotional and all over the place. A lot of times you look at him and he has that Joker deer in the headlights look like he's just completely in over his head and the moment is too big for him. Some guys are cut out to be coordinators and some are cut out to be head coaches. Stoops strikes me as more of a coordinator. You don't see Nick Saban and Les Miles running around on the sidelines during the game, you DO see Will Muschamp doing that.

I love how we get these "terrible" coaches but none of our fans sit back and look at who HAND PICKED these guys in the first place. It's not like he made one or two bad hires, he has CONTINUALLY made questionable coaching hires, questionable in game decisions, questionable schematic and game prep decisions, I mean the list goes on and on. THOSE AREN'T THINGS THAT ARE GOING TO BE FIXED WITH MORE TIME.

How many players under his coaching have actually gotten better? Seriously, think about that for second..who is a player that you can look at and say 'wow, Stoops really coached him up and developed that kid'. Under Brooks I could name basically every player on the roster as being NOTICEABLY better from the start of their career to the finish..under Stoops a lot of these player's best years are their first and then they seem to gradually decline or stay the same. THAT'S COACHING, not talent. No one is expecting him to go out and beat Alabama and LSU, but my gosh, he can barely beat teams with MUCH less talent like Louisiana Lafayette and Eastern Kentucky IN YEAR THREE.

The dude is an emotional roller coaster and our team has continually reflected that during his tenure.

Last edited:
I don't think they will fire stoops for the reasons mentioned above (contract). Giving stoops extension last year was laughable. Four years and five recruiting classes . My question is should UK expect 6 wins by now ?
I would surely hope so

No offense, but it wouldn't take a whole heck of a lot to have improved upon Joker's terrible tenure. If Joker Phillips is your measuring stick for keeping a coach around (in year FOUR, btw) you're going to have decade upon decade of mediocre football teams (like we've seen for quite a while because of low expectations and commitment from individuals that have this mentality in key positions at UK).

And roster turnover? My gosh man, some of you act like his recruits have only been here for one year. His first class is now SENIORS. Yes, SENIORS. Not freshmen, SENIORS. In 2016 it doesn't take 10 years to see some progress from a football team. This isn't 1950 where coaches get a decade to show what they've got. The dude has shown time and time again that he's in over his head, I'm sorry, but it's the truth. He's hired 3 different offensive coordinators in 4 years. He continues to keep on first time defensive coordinator DJ Eliot because they're close buddies. He hired Craig Naivar. He hired Shannon Dawson. He hired Tommy Mainord. He hired John Schlarman. He hired Jimmy Brumbaugh. He chose not to even have a special teams coach at all for one season (which still boggles my mind). He loses close games because he's always running around like a chicken with his head cut off on the sidelines during the game because he's so emotional and all over the place. A lot of times you look at him and he has that Joker deer in the headlights look like he's just completely in over his head and the moment is too big for him. Some guys are cut out to be coordinators and some are cut out to be head coaches. Stoops strikes me as more of a coordinator. You don't see Nick Saban and Les Miles running around on the sidelines during the game, you DO see Will Muschamp doing that.

I love how we get these "terrible" coaches but none of our fans sit back and look at who HAND PICKED these guys in the first place. It's not like he made one or two bad hires, he has CONTINUALLY made questionable coaching hires, questionable in game decisions, questionable schematic and game prep decisions, I mean the list goes on and on. THOSE AREN'T THINGS THAT ARE GOING TO BE FIXED WITH MORE TIME.

How many players under his coaching have actually gotten better? Seriously, think about that for second..who is a player that you can look at and say 'wow, Stoops really coached him up and developed that kid'. Under Brooks I could name basically every player on the roster as being NOTICEABLY better from the start of their career to the finish..under Stoops a lot of these player's best years are their first and then they seem to gradually decline or stay the same. THAT'S COACHING, not talent. No one is expecting him to go out and beat Alabama and LSU, but my gosh, he can barely beat teams with MUCH less talent like Louisiana Lafayette and Eastern Kentucky IN YEAR THREE.

I agree. Barely beating
EKU and ULL. Pitiful

Last edited:

Go Cats!
Stoops has a plan that will take a few years, but I think we need to stick with him and allow him to be a stability factor. He continues to recruit very well and is now making quality changes on his staff while still retaining those have to have pieces. I believe success is near. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water!!

His first class that are seniors was also mostly committed to the joker staff. He added Timmons, Hatcher. He didn't get here till end of December and signing day was in February. Hard to get a class in less than two Monthes. His first full class will be true juniors that was can credit to this staff

Where is all of our production expected to come from? Toth, kemp, and Timmons are the only players going into the season from those joker classes and Timmons was a late stoops commit. The rest of our productions are from the junior and sophomore class (coming off back to back 2-10 seasons when they committed). To have that kind of talent in that short of time is pretty impressive for the circumstances dealt to the current staff. We had a chance to win nine games last year. That's a whole lot better then when this staff got here.

We had a big lead against ULL before the young guys thought it was in the bag and zoned out. We made plays when we had to to win that game. But was pretty well in hand before just losing focus. Think the EKU was on staff for threats to the team about just playing football and forgetting the off the field stuff that happened in offseason. Which caused us to play scared (not counting the off field drama with boom, and expecting to win by 50, and not taking eku serious) of being involved into something other than playing football.

With hiring three offensive coordinators I'm sure wasn't the plan. Neil brown leaving kinda surprised everyone. He made a bad hire last year but wasn't afraid to try and correct it. We swing and missed on Riley when big brother came calling. Most coordinators with a 5-7 record don't get head coaching offers.

Last edited:

The dude is an emotional roller coaster and our team has continually reflected that during his tenure.

You must be a troll or have no idea how to build a football team... either way you have a terrible terrible take. Why do you think it has taken so long just to get to this point? Because of JOKEr and his terrible recruiting, coaching and running a program into the ground. This program was WORST then if it were coming off probation when stoops took over. If you EXPECTED anything better than what has transpired up to this date then you are very naive and do not know what it takes...

You must be a troll or have no idea how to build a football team... either way you have a terrible terrible take. Why do you think it has taken so long just to get to this point? Because of JOKEr and his terrible recruiting, coaching and running a program into the ground. This program was WORST then if it were coming off probation when stoops took over. If you EXPECTED anything better than what has transpired up to this date then you are very naive and do not know what it takes...

Tell that to Butch Jones, look where they are now

I respectfully disagree. His post was not about wins and losses so much as it was about his total failure to make the simplest in game coaching decisions. He looks clueless on the sideline and he acts clueless as well. I hope he 'builds' the program as you say it but it's the poor coaching decisions way more than wins and losses.

A large misconception here, UK didn't invest $200,000,000 in football, they invested about $120,000,000 in football while the fans, FINALLY seeing some hope, invested $45.000,000 of their money in the Football Center, which basketball has had for a decade. Yes, UK borrowed well OVER $200,000,000 which the ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT is responsible for, but a LARGE portion of that went to academic improvements, And we know how much they appreciate it, look at the LOAN they turned down for the scoreboards, and how they chose to do the "money" thing instead of the right thing in Tubman's case.

Why, UK "might" have gotten sued, if he is dumber than a doorknob.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT