ADVERTISEMENT

Why Stoops is on the hot seat?

Bad comparison. Prior to Jones taking over, Tennessee still had good recruiting classes and talent on the team. Joker left a complete train wreck in the talent level he left behind.

Please, Dudly was worse than Joker in every facet of football and not even close. Jones comes in and turns it around in less time by selling the brand and facilities without the "it takes time to build a program" Ask the Yankees in Michigan football program the same

Again, different starting places, different traditions, different history, different recruiting base.

Basically the only thing the same was the size of the playing field and the total limit on scholarships.

I respectfully disagree. His post was not about wins and losses so much as it was about his total failure to make the simplest in game coaching decisions. He looks clueless on the sideline and he acts clueless as well. I hope he 'builds' the program as you say it but it's the poor coaching decisions way more than wins and losses.

I doubt someone who slams the coach the week of the team's first game wants Stoops to build anything good at UK. I believe that to be a lie.

Reactions: jauk11
A large misconception here, UK didn't invest $200,000,000 in football, they invested about $120,000,000 in football while the fans, FINALLY seeing some hope, invested $45.000,000 of their money in the Football Center, which basketball has had for a decade. Yes, UK borrowed well OVER $200,000,000 which the ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT is responsible for, but a LARGE portion of that went to academic improvements, And we know how much they appreciate it, look at the LOAN they turned down for the scoreboards, and how they chose to do the "money" thing instead of the right thing in Tubman's case.

Why, UK "might" have gotten sued, if he is dumber than a doorknob.

Once you raised Tubman, your credibility went out the window.

Reactions: bishop3006
Tell that to Butch Jones, look where they are now
lets compare from where team was when each coach took over.

Record before taking over
Jones 5-7. Stoops 2-10
First year
jones 5-7. Stoops 2-10. (Same as previous year)
Second year
Jones 7-6 (6-6 regular season) Stoops 5-7. Jones improved record by two wins counting bowl one in regular season. stoops improved with three wins
Year three
Jones 9-4 bowl win so 8-4 regular season
Stoops 5-7.

So total jones has improved Tennessee by three wins from when he took over ((5 to eight regular season). Stoops is three wins better then when he took over (2 to five). Coaches look to be pretty similar as to improvement on what matters (wins). One is safe and other is on hot seat (to some delisunal fan perception). On is at a recent power and other is at an annual cellar dweller. The path looks pretty similar to me. Just one had a half a track head start on the other. Let's not forget one is under scrutiny with aiding in a sexual assualt case.

Just a side note, out of the two games we won in stoops first year we beat a WINLESS Miami of Ohio team and FCS Alabama St. We was really really really down on talent!

Last edited:
Please, Dudly was worse than Joker in every facet of football and not even close. Jones comes in and turns it around in less time by selling the brand and facilities without the "it takes time to build a program" Ask the Yankees in Michigan football program the same

Talent wise, Jones was left with way more in the cupboard than Stoops. Picking who's worse between Dooley and Joker is like picking between Laurel and Hardy.

Stoops has definitely made his fair share of mistakes. The Vandy game last year was definitely tough to watch with the way it was given away and ultimately cost a trip to a bowl game. But he has also recruited at a high level to where I'm confident in saying the overall talent level on the team is as good as it's been since maybe the Fran Curci era. I think he deserves another two years to prove he's got what it takes to be a successful coach at this level. And if he doesn't prove capable of that there should be enough talent still around that the next coach won't be forced to totally rebuild the program like Stoops had to do after cleaning up the mess Joker left behind.

I think many big blue fans are setting themselves up for disappointment (again). Hope I'm wrong. I agree with everyone who has said that Stoops won't be fired regardless of what happens this year. But I also think Its the climate and environment that's surrounding UK football. Football is the revenue bell cow of every college athletic program.
Recruiting is but one part of the equation. Coaching the "jimmy's and joe's" is another major part of coaching. And I'm not seeing the coaching and development of players with Stoops. In fact, he looks lost sometimes on game day and his clock management at times is atrocious.
UK very well may not pay the buyout and fire Stoops but I think at other universities, where the athletic dept. takes football serious, the administration would pay the buyout, cut their losses and move on. Then again, most other athletic dept. wouldn't have given a contract extension to a coach who has never accomplished anything.
That doesn't change where UK is at now. And I think where they're at now is 5-7. 4-8 if they lose to southern Mississippi. Most coaches and analyst say you should see the most improvement in the third year of a new coaching regime. Well in Stoops 3rd year I saw a team quit against a division rival (Tennessee) and win close games against teams with inferior talent (ULL and EKU) .
The defense will likely be worse this year than last year.

But also a team who could of won nine games. Five wins plus everyone agrees we shot ourselves in the foot (traits of a young inexperienced team) in the auburn, Florida, vandy, and uofl game). That was a big improvement in year three than the two wins against a winless team and an FCS team in year one.

In all these analogies, it's remains the same. Jones took them up especially within the conference and bowls. The rest is fodder for how and why and woe is me and now why they are in the same time east division favorites.

In all these analogies, it's remains the same. Jones took them up especially within the conference and bowls. The rest is fodder for how and why and woe is me and now why they are in the same time east division favorites.
So your saying if jones was hired by us, we would be in the same place Tennessee is now?

His first class that are seniors was also mostly committed to the joker staff. He added Timmons, Hatcher. He didn't get here till end of December and signing day was in February. Hard to get a class in less than two Monthes. His first full class will be true juniors that was can credit to this staff

Where is all of our production expected to come from? Toth, kemp, and Timmons are the only players going into the season from those joker classes and Timmons was a late stoops commit. The rest of our productions are from the junior and sophomore class (coming off back to back 2-10 seasons when they committed). To have that kind of talent in that short of time is pretty impressive for the circumstances dealt to the current staff. We had a chance to win nine games last year. That's a whole lot better then when this staff got here.

We had a big lead against ULL before the young guys thought it was in the bag and zoned out. We made plays when we had to to win that game. But was pretty well in hand before just losing focus. Think the EKU was on staff for threats to the team about just playing football and forgetting the off the field stuff that happened in offseason. Which caused us to play scared (not counting the off field drama with boom, and expecting to win by 50, and not taking eku serious) of being involved into something other than playing football.

With hiring three offensive coordinators I'm sure wasn't the plan. Neil brown leaving kinda surprised everyone. He made a bad hire last year but wasn't afraid to try and correct it. We swing and missed on Riley when big brother came calling. Most coordinators with a 5-7 record don't get head coaching offers.

I had to laugh reading a fan like you actually trying to make excuses for barely beating ULL and EKU.

You really look ridiculous for coming up with excuses on that....

Barely beating ULL and EKU is beyond embarrassing. It is a total and complete JOKE.

Watching Towles celebrate with Baker after the winning TD vs. EKU made me want to puke.

Celebrating a winning TD vs. EKU. Are you kidding me? That is how far we have fallen as a program. Our players now celebrate wins against EKU like it was a bowl game. I'm surprised Towles didn't try to rip down the goal post after the game in celebration.

This program is in the toilet until it blows out teams like EKU, ULL and beats the in state rival, UL , every season to establish dominance in the state.

Until then, don't ask fans to pay money for this garbage.

Stoops has no more excuses left. He will either get to 6 wins this season and a bowl game or he is on his way out because the fans are DONE if it doesn't happen this season.

If he is out, Mitch Barnhart should be banned from Lexington too for allowing UL to become the top football program in the state.

I could coach this team to 6 wins with our talented offensive players alone. It's not that difficult having some of the best RBs and WRs in the SEC.

Stoops has only proven that he can recruit so far...

So you think if we hired butch jones, we would of been the preseason pick to win the east? granted they had mizzu licked to win it last year, and we seen what happened there. Let the season play out and see. But no way nick Saban could of took Kentucky from where we were to division favorites with three years.

So you think if we hired butch jones, we would of been the preseason pick to win the east? granted they had mizzu licked to win it last year, and we seen what happened there. Let the season play out and see. But no way nick Saban could of took Kentucky from where we were to division favorites with three years.

If you don't want to accept the fact that KY and TN were in the exact same miserable boat during that time that's fine. What you can't deny is he has taking them back to prominence while we stay where we always have been. I'm praying we get to a bowl any bowl it can only help.

Same people wanting to get rid of Mark Stoops were same ones wanting to fire Coach Brooks and hire Joker as Head Coach. UK has been through 11 coaches since I started following. Best outlook for future since Fran Curci. Any replacement at this time would set team back, not forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: reflaine
Tell that to Butch Jones, look where they are now

yep. I've said it a thousand times. Until we have an Athletic Director who is willing to empower our program with the singular mission to complete with UT we will never be much more than what we are. Any other goal leads to major disappointment.

If you don't want to accept the fact that KY and TN were in the exact same miserable boat during that time that's fine. What you can't deny is he has taking them back to prominence while we stay where we always have been. I'm praying we get to a bowl any bowl it can only help.

You are one funny guy.

Equating UK's football program with Thug U's on any level shows how ignorant your post is, from the 100,000 seat stadium to our now 61,000 one,, from the "orange pride" and their recruiting trips to the squeaky clean one the incompetent NCAA scared UK into with probation, from the EIGHT thugs having ONE miss the 53-0 laughter to us running off a very valuable and needed prospect that wasn't charged by a grand jury with a lot more resources than the kangaroo court, from a program that forked out the bucks for the '''recruiting service" that got Oregon in trouble to the one that was spending about a FOURTH of what they spent on a recruiting budget (less than for our four or five basketball recruits) a few years ago, from a state with a LOT more instate talent than us (better, but NO four stars in state in 2010), with a fan base that helps cover up all their sins, with an AD that lies through his teeth about athletes being treated the same as all students (eight thugs just one example), top ten in the nation in paying their players LEGALLY (not counting otherwise) while UK is about dozenth in the SEC last I checked.

And yeah, we are right there in football tradition, most modern kids remember that Sagarin #1 when the Bear was here-----or did they already take that trophy down?

LOL, that is all.

You are one funny guy.

Equating UK's football program with Thug U's on any level shows how ignorant your post is, from the 100,000 seat stadium to our now 61,000 one,, from the "orange pride" and their recruiting trips to the squeaky clean one the incompetent NCAA scared UK into with probation, from the EIGHT thugs having ONE miss the 53-0 laughter to us running off a very valuable and needed prospect that wasn't charged by a grand jury with a lot more resources than the kangaroo court, from a program that forked out the bucks for the '''recruiting service" that got Oregon in trouble to the one that was spending about a FOURTH of what they spent on a recruiting budget (less than for our four or five basketball recruits) a few years ago, from a state with a LOT more instate talent than us (better, but NO four stars in state in 2010), with a fan base that helps cover up all their sins, with an AD that lies through his teeth about athletes being treated the same as all students (eight thugs just one example), top ten in the nation in paying their players LEGALLY (not counting otherwise) while UK is about dozenth in the SEC last I checked.

And yeah, we are right there in football tradition, most modern kids remember that Sagarin #1 when the Bear was here-----or did they already take that trophy down?

LOL, that is all.

Thanks man, everyone knows how much smarter you are than everyone else. Go U Thug all you want and in the end what happened ? Nothing. Then excuses out the ass, face the facts son it's about wins not about opinion and when was the last time you heard about UT's morality issues vs where they are ranked or they're projected SEC East finish ? That's what I thought but you keep tooting that horn and posting about it until we get our asses handed to us again like last years game then you'll really have a rally around you

He's on the hot seat because - if we don't make a bowl - he will have had four straight losing seasons while being beaten four consecutive times by a coach we passed on in order to hire him (while said coach is probably leading a rival school to a January bowl). At what other SEC school would that not have the football coach on the hot seat? It's year four now. It's time to start producing.

Hmmm maybe you need to go watch that team and that coach. Your absence will not be noted I bet.

Let's be very clear and upfront. Crawling into a pizza bowl is not success! True success will be measured by how competitive we are against the Alabama's of the world.

For example, last year we got embarrassed by UT and others. My hopes are that Stoops team is at the level that shows real success.

Go Cats!
True....first year pass, recruiting has been great! Production on the field, last 2 yrs wonderful.....then it tanks....Pizza, pinstripe, chicken or music bowl....we set our standards high!!

Reactions: Catswin9
You must be a troll or have no idea how to build a football team... either way you have a terrible terrible take. Why do you think it has taken so long just to get to this point? Because of JOKEr and his terrible recruiting, coaching and running a program into the ground. This program was WORST then if it were coming off probation when stoops took over. If you EXPECTED anything better than what has transpired up to this date then you are very naive and do not know what it takes...
A joker, a mumme, a Claiborne, aaaaaaaaaaaa who has done anything to keep our football sustainable? wait, ......one did, ......and wanted too stay here. (He was a "Bear" of a coach!) And we wouldn't pay him...anddddddd....Brooks, (did a very good job sustaining for 5 yes).....but what about Curci and an awesome yr in 79.? Probation their after.....Bradshaw, he sustained! Ran half the team off....

A joker, a mumme, a Claiborne, aaaaaaaaaaaa who has done anything to keep our football sustainable? wait, ......one did, ......and wanted too stay here. (He was a "Bear" of a coach!) And we wouldn't pay him...anddddddd....Brooks, (did a very good job sustaining for 5 yes).....but what about Curci and an awesome yr in 79.? Probation their after.....Bradshaw, he sustained! Ran half the team off....
I get irritated... Because if "Stoops", doesn't get the team, to a "bowl" this year, he needs to be gone! We as BBN, said the same about Brooks! (The man, only took an NFL TEAM..."Atlanta Falcons" (their ONLY SB appearance in franchise history in 1998!! And let's not forget about the Oregon Ducks and their run!) But off with Brooks head!!! now we as a fan base, are doing the same with a "stoops, we have a football coaching lineage! Coach!" But BBN, knows better, as "usual" and what this football team needs!...out of all!!! The so called, know it alls within the BBN....I ask YOUNG/OLD this!? What do we need, too sustain?

Dumb post, he isn't on the hot seat and won't come close if we go bowling this year-------which is very likely IMO.
Very likely and not on hot seat? The only reason he isn't on hot seat is because of a ridiculous buyout in his contract that has no business being there. Without that based on his performance he very well is a hot seat-esque coach. 5-14 in last 19 games speaks for itself especially when you factor in zero wins over winning teams and best win (by record) being EKU in a miracle 4th qrtr comeback. I just don't see how you can call that a dumb post when the man is 5-14 in last 19 games without a win over winning team. Is 5-14 in last 19 games considered progression or a sign of a program headed in the right direction or something? Jeez.

Very likely and not on hot seat? The only reason he isn't on hot seat is because of a ridiculous buyout in his contract that has no business being there. Without that based on his performance he very well is a hot seat-esque coach. 5-14 in last 19 games speaks for itself especially when you factor in zero wins over winning teams and best win (by record) being EKU in a miracle 4th qrtr comeback. I just don't see how you can call that a dumb post when the man is 5-14 in last 19 games without a win over winning team. Is 5-14 in last 19 games considered progression or a sign of a program headed in the right direction or something? Jeez.
Typical
Brooks was a dismal 9-25, first three seasons....enough said. Rest history....ty come again

Again, different starting places, different traditions, different history, different recruiting base.

Basically the only thing the same was the size of the playing field and the total limit on scholarships.

Isnt' that the year Thug U ignored the limit and signed about 34?

Uh, excuse me, but is the buyout in his contract or not? So what are you talking about, maybe we should change the rules so that UK gets 12 points for a TD and the opponent gets 3? Yeah, I would like that. Go use your influence, I will wait to hear from you.

Uh, excuse me, but is the buyout in his contract or not? So what are you talking about, maybe we should change the rules so that UK gets 12 points for a TD and the opponent gets 3? Yeah, I would like that. Go use your influence, I will wait to hear from you.
My rebuttle to this is my recent post in the other thread responding to yours about point systems. You called OP's post a dumb post and by that I felt like you meant stoops has done way too well for him to be on the hot seat regardless of the buyout. Well at least you agree he hasn't performed well enough to deserve not being on the hot seat and that the buyout forces him here. I'm petty sure (could be wrong) the OP was saying that on a performance basis not really taking stupid contracts that force him here no matter what into consideration. Since obviously everyone knows he'll be here no matter what due to the horribly favorable contract. Glad you agree that his performance thus far sure as hell ain't the reason for him not being on the hot seat and that its all due to terrible contract negotiating by ours truly barny, and without the horrible contract he would be on the hot seat. We agreed on something for once lol.

Last edited:
UK football fans easy to please. Over look the fact we sucked since he's been here 12-24 all because he can recruit in Ohio and beat out Kent St for 3 star talent.

It's no wonder coaches are lazy here.

Stoops will not be fired because of his contract. But Barney should, when this team doesn't make a bowl game, for giving him that absurd extension in the middle of what turned out to be a 5-7 season.

I am enjoying watching the goalpost-movers now saying this year doesn't matter, it's year FIVE where Stoops will really be judged. It's an admission that you KNOW this year is going to suck.

It just goes on and on.

Of course we all know that it takes twelve years to build a program in the SEC.

People using Butch Jones as an example need to consider 2 things. 1) UT has no morals as to who and how they recruit and 2) Butch himself stated publicly that it can take 7 years to turn a program around. Not to mention that UT has a winning tradition and so there is a cultural mindset of expecting to win that comes with that. To me it is this cultural mindset that is one of our biggest obstacles, one thing goes wrong here and the "fans" are ready to jump ship.

Reactions: jauk11
I had to laugh reading a fan like you actually trying to make excuses for barely beating ULL and EKU.

You really look ridiculous for coming up with excuses on that....

Barely beating ULL and EKU is beyond embarrassing. It is a total and complete JOKE.

Watching Towles celebrate with Baker after the winning TD vs. EKU made me want to puke.

Celebrating a winning TD vs. EKU. Are you kidding me? That is how far we have fallen as a program. Our players now celebrate wins against EKU like it was a bowl game. I'm surprised Towles didn't try to rip down the goal post after the game in celebration.

This program is in the toilet until it blows out teams like EKU, ULL and beats the in state rival, UL , every season to establish dominance in the state.

Until then, don't ask fans to pay money for this garbage.

Stoops has no more excuses left. He will either get to 6 wins this season and a bowl game or he is on his way out because the fans are DONE if it doesn't happen this season.

If he is out, Mitch Barnhart should be banned from Lexington too for allowing UL to become the top football program in the state.

I could coach this team to 6 wins with our talented offensive players alone. It's not that difficult having some of the best RBs and WRs in the SEC.

Stoops has only proven that he can recruit so far...

Even pent up anger doesn't explain the lack of self control that makes your views look like a spoiled three year old's breath holding, hair pulling tantrum.

Maybe watching a few soccer games will bore you back to reality.

Let's be very clear and upfront. Crawling into a pizza bowl is not success! True success will be measured by how competitive we are against the Alabama's of the world.

Quit reading this thread after this comment. You are officially an idiot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT