ADVERTISEMENT

Why must some people hate anyone we play

marshalfan

Senior
Oct 2, 2005
I really do not understand why some people on this board are looking to be mad at our nest opponent. Wisconsin players seem like nice people, sure may say they thing they will beat us. I would certainly hope they think, they are a 1 seed.

It is a game and our players do not hold any animosity towards Wisconsin or the other teams we "hate"

Bo Ryan is a massive piece of shit. Am I not allowed to dislike that either? What about the fact they don't ever graduate their players but rarely get called out for it, much less punished? How about Frank the Tank comes off like a massive jackoff every time he posts anything online. Can I not enjoy that? Or do I just have to pretend they are all family and love them despite their flaws?

I don't hate Wisconsin - never really thought much about them

until I had the unfortunate luck to sit next to a group of them at the final four.

ruined me on that school

First off, this can't be applied to a few of the schools this year who have basically called out UK before the game. Arkansas, Cincinnati, West Virginia...enough said.

Secondly, Wisconsin uses the "flop" as much or more than Duke.

I have nothing against Wisconsin. I hope for a FAIRLY CALLED, clean game and if they beat us, they beat us. However, given where UK stands, you can't blame a vast majority of the fan base for being somewhat questioning if that will happen.

Originally posted by JasonSpear:
you should hold animosity toward any opponent until the competition is done. WCS and Kaminsky were talking Super Smash Brothers walking to the press conference and having a good time with each other. Don't like it. I want WCS saying the minimum, staying focused, and not making buddies. Kill em... THEN be nice.

That's just me though, coming from a guy that'd rather embarrass and dominate you playing ball than crack a joke
ohwell.r191677.gif
. Different strokes.
Willie may be just lulling him into a false sense of security. 9Willie's had some serious going on for a couple weeks.) I see the killer coming out in several of the Cats current players. I am looking forward to this game...

Many of the players that we compete against are friends with our players. The players can play aggressively without being angry. Good players actually respect other good players and that is their motivation. Respect can actually be a much better motivator than anger or hatred.

Originally posted by Seth C:
Bo Ryan is a massive piece of shit. Am I not allowed to dislike that either? What about the fact they don't ever graduate their players but rarely get called out for it, much less punished? How about Frank the Tank comes off like a massive jackoff every time he posts anything online. Can I not enjoy that? Or do I just have to pretend they are all family and love them despite their flaws?
Just curious as to how Bo Ryan is a massive piece of shit? Has he been in trouble with the law, NCAA violations, abusive to his players? Seems like a strong take for a guy who is very respected and well liked by his peers and loved by his players.

Just curious.

But you can dislike anyone you want to.

I dunno. I guess it must be for the same reason why some people have to bring politics into conversations and religion, and how they use it to color the opposition in the same light. I'm glad I don't care to really want to understand it. For me, it's simply a better practice not to engage in that kind of knuckle-dragging mentality. I choose to stay away from it as much as possible.

There's a whole lot more important things in life to let something like how one feels about a team or fans of a team to become hateful or spiteful over. Still, there are cases where I can understand it for happening. Sometimes the hate goes way too overboard and is really, REALLY ugly when it does.

I've always thought the world is what we make of it. Would be a better world if we all lived by that and treated others how we would be treated ourselves ....

Originally posted by runt#69:
I dunno. I guess it must be for the same reason why some people have to bring politics into conversations and religion, and how they use it to color the opposition in the same light. I'm glad I don't care to really want to understand it. For me, it's simply a better practice not to engage in that kind of knuckle-dragging mentality. I choose to stay away from it as much as possible.

There's a whole lot more important things in life to let something like how one feels about a team or fans of a team to become hateful or spiteful over. Still, there are cases where I can understand it for happening. Sometimes the hate goes way too overboard and is really, REALLY ugly when it does.

I've always thought the world is what we make of it. Would be a better world if we all lived by that and treated others how we would be treated ourselves ....
Good post.

The players of teams I don't have a problem with...it's the fans. Take for example Indiana University...I don't care one way or another towards the players...but the fans?
sick0012.r191677.gif

When it comes to other teams fans, I never say anything bad about them unless the other person starts in on the CATS, then all bets are off.

It's part of the human condition. We are all sinners, and we are all with flaws...some have more than others.
It's part turf battle.
It's part, we have jerks for fans, and so does every other team.
We also fantastic good sportsman have fans, but every team has a group at the other end of the spectrum as well.
We don't have a monopoly on the good or the bad.
Go cats.

"... frankly i don't think much of hoosiers neither" oh, we don't play them any more. i just like saying that.

Because they are the next one standing in the way of our national championship. They want to take our fairy tale ending away from us. I hate them right now, we win, and they play admirably, that hate will dissipate. Go cats!

Originally posted by marshalfan:
Originally posted by runt#69:

Good post.
Both good posts, yours to marshallfan

Don..you are off here. There are fans on here, that are just vehemently angry about other teams and their fans.
They talk about beating them down in an alley, shoving it up their a$$, I'll clean their clock...etc, etc.
I don't think some of that stuff is just talk...or just "fan hate".
They are over the top...it's regretful but it is what it is.

I dont understand why people come on here to tell us how we should or shouldnt feel..thats what makes us all seperate people, we think, and act all different

Originally posted by fla.cat:
Don..you are off here. There are fans on here, that are just vehemently angry about other teams and their fans.
They talk about beating them down in an alley, shoving it up their a$$, I'll clean their clock...etc, etc.
I would garner though that most of those people talking like that haven't been in a fight since the 3rd grade and would never talk to anyone. Sports can get serious. Drinking, mouth running in bars do happen but they are few and far between.

Originally posted by MWes11:

Originally posted by Seth C:
Just curious as to how Bo Ryan is a massive piece of shit? Has he been in trouble with the law, NCAA violations, abusive to his players? Seems like a strong take for a guy who is very respected and well liked by his peers and loved by his players.

Just curious.
Because he pulled his UK players don't go to class crap last season, until someone uncovered his grad rates. Personally, I don't hate Michgan St. Hoping we play them on Monday

meh - hatred only hurts the person who does the hating. Or some such chit
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I strongly dislike certain players, coaches - and most certainly fanbases. But the teams themselves, for the most part, not so much. Well - except two (Arky and Cincy - felt too sorry for WVU after the game to dislike them)

OP - this is the reality of sports fandom - you are supposed to hate your rivals, and find anything negative you can about anyone you play. Gives us something to do/talk about in the days leading up to a game.

I really do not understand why some people on this board are looking to be mad at our nest opponent. Wisconsin players seem like nice people, sure may say they thing they will beat us. I would certainly hope they think, they are a 1 seed.

It is a game and our players do not hold any animosity towards Wisconsin or the other teams we "hate"
First, you are a Marshall fan?

Second, people don't really HATE teams.... The word hate is used to casually in today's world... There are very few people who hate a basketball team, because they're playing Kentucky.... That's just silly to think that...

Fans are competitive and they sometime use the wrong word.... They trash talk with fans, but they really don't HATE anyone.... This is sports... To Hate someone would really show the adolescence in someone, and also, the mannerism of how they were raised... Which would be very embarrassing to their mom and dad.....

There's a lot of teams that I don't like as good as others, but HATE? No! I don't hate anyone, or any team......

Originally posted by Gary4UK:

First, you are a Marshall fan?

Second, people don't really HATE teams.... The word hate is used to casually in today's world... There are very few people who hate a basketball team, because they're playing Kentucky.... That's just silly to think that...

Fans are competitive and they sometime use the wrong word.... They trash talk with fans, but they really don't HATE anyone.... This is sports... To Hate someone would really show the adolescence in someone, and also, the mannerism of how they were raised... Which would be very embarrassing to their mom and dad.....

There's a lot of teams that I don't like as good as others, but HATE? No! I don't hate anyone, or any team......
No I am not a Marshall university fan. I am a fan of my high school sports teams, the Marshals.

Originally posted by fla.cat:
Generally speaking of course I will stand by what I said, fla.cat. That's the way I feel. I am not speaking for all of the posters, but for the great majority of our posters that say I hate so and so team, they are sports hating. How could you hate hate someone that you do not know? How could you hate a team? Also ......... different strokes.

I actually like Wisconsin. I've watched them play several times this season, and I like their team. I think that there is a natural tendency to "attack" the opponent. Especially here where our only method is with words -- so that is how we express our competitiveness here. Sometimes it is over the top, but I have to say I find it amusing and sometimes contribute to the animus!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT