ADVERTISEMENT

I'm guessing we see some tinkering ...

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
... with the lineup and minute distribution for Saturday's game.

A couple of issues play into why TO reduce and why NOT TO reduce the number of players in the rotation.

1. Coaches typically don't mess with lineups while they're winning. Cal has historically not altered much after January until after a loss. Off the top of my head, I remember Diallo and Whitney both getting fewer minutes and even moving out of the starting lineup after a Jan loss. (I'm sure there are others, but those pop into mind.)

2. Unfortunately, if Thiero returns Saturday, it will be our FIRST game with the entire lineup. Cal usually reduces rotation in late January. However, I understand him wanting to tinker with the rotation a few more games to figure out who's going to rise to the occasion.

Here's my guess of what we'll see on Saturday.

-I think Edwards doesn't start, and his minutes get reduced to the 12-14 min range. (These will obviously increase if he does well while he's in the game.)
-Reed & Rob no longer come off the bench at the same time. One of them starts the game.
- The mins for the trio of Bradshaw, Z, and Ugo get paired down to mainly two players. I'm guessing Bradshaw and Z get the minutes. Ugo only gets mins if one of the bigs gets in foul trouble. (Cal really needs to figure out what Z can do on both ends of the floor.)
- Thiero will get some mins to figure out where he now fits. If healthy, he'll get more of Edwards' minutes.

The lineup I want to see get alot of run is: 3 guards, Mitchell, and Big Z. I understand that we're just getting to see all the pieces at one time. I'm sure Cal wanted to do this in Dec, but circumstances didn't permit it. I'm ready to roll with a rotation of: Our 4 guards, Mitchell, Bradshaw, and Z. That's 7 players. Thiero & Edwards can battle for the 8th spot.

Regardless of rotation, I expect to see changes in the distribution of minutes moving ahead.

A couple of issues play into why TO reduce and why NOT TO reduce the number of players in the rotation.

1. Coaches typically don't mess with lineups while they're winning. Cal has historically not altered much after January until after a loss. Off the top of my head, I remember Diallo and Whitney both getting fewer minutes and even moving out of the starting lineup after a Jan loss. (I'm sure there are others, but those pop into mind.)

2. Unfortunately, if Thiero returns Saturday, it will be our FIRST game with the entire lineup. Cal usually reduces rotation in late January. However, I understand him wanting to tinker with the rotation a few more games to figure out who's going to rise to the occasion.

-I think Edwards doesn't start, and his minutes get reduced to the 12-14 min range. (These will obviously increase if he does well while he's in the game.)
-Reed & Rob no longer come off the bench at the same time. One of them starts the game.
- The mins for the trio of Bradshaw, Z, and Ugo get paired down to mainly two players. I'm guessing Bradshaw and Z get the minutes. Ugo only gets mins if one of the bigs gets in foul trouble. (Cal really needs to figure out what Z can do on both ends of the floor.)
- Thiero will get some mins to figure out where he now fits. If healthy, he'll get more of Edwards' minutes.

The lineup I want to see get alot of run is: 3 guards, Mitchell, and Big Z. I understand that we're just getting to see all the pieces at one time. I'm sure Cal wanted to do this in Dec, but circumstances didn't permit it. I'm ready to roll with a rotation of: Our 4 guards, Mitchell, Bradshaw, and Z. That's 7 players. Thiero & Edwards can battle for the 8th spot.

Regardless of rotation, I expect to see changes in the distribution of minutes moving ahead.
He said on his show monday night he was going to talk to Z, he was just too for behind in his defense that he might get a few shots, but we would see. Also said Ugo was playing good, so it sounds like Z is the man out.

He said on his show monday night he was going to talk to Z, he was just too for behind in his defense that he might get a few shots, but we would see. Also said Ugo was playing good, so it sounds like Z is the man out.
None of us saw this coming. I kinda wish that he never would have played at all but Calipari had rub the NCAA's nose in it. Bradshaw is a wash so far so poor Big Z is doomed.

Well this is idiotic. Z is leagues better already in 2 games than Bradshaw all year. And yes, I'm talking defense.

What we're seeing folks is the typical Cal honoring his commitments to the top draft players' "handlers".

Off the top of my head, I remember Diallo and Whitney both getting fewer minutes and even moving out of the starting lineup after a Jan loss.

Neither of those are true.

Diallo started all 37 games in 17/18.

Whitney started just 7 in November. Got another one in December, but was off the team by mid-January.

Terrible in-game coach is a little strong. He is just not very good at the adjustment a coach has to make to adapt to another teams moves.
Terrible in game coaching is actually a compliment to what cal gives us. He is the absolute worst at that part and we would actually be better off if he weren’t there. Have we ever looked worse after he got kicked out or do we always end up looking better? You admitted he’s not good at making adjustments so what part of his in game coaching do you think he does well? Forget well, halfway decent is fine?

I'm sure Cal will add that ringing endorsement to his resume: "a not very good at the adjustment coach"

You can tell Cal is getting impatient with Edwards finally. Kind of called him out in his comments a little, but we'll see. Hard to tell with Cal if that was genuine or just him playing mind games to motivate kids.

Reactions: westerncat
Regardless of whether the assistants convince Calipari to tinker with playing time, it doesn’t change the fact that Calipari is simply a terrible in-game coach. It is what it is…
What moves do you see made or not during the game to decide that Cal is “simply a terrible in-game coach”?

Please be specific as to what you actually see.

And could you point out who is a good in game coach and what that coach is doing in game?

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
I'd like to see him start over Edwards, But not holding my breath. lol
Thiero has to make it back to the floor before we can talk about him starting. Can he play or can't he play is the question?

Who are our top 7? What role does Z play?

On the subject of Z, Bradshaw and Ugo, which 2 bring bring the most of what this team needs to the table? Not meaning which will be the best NBA player, who does more of what we need done right now? There is limited game info on Z and a bit more on Ugo and Bradshaw. Based on what I have seen Z and Ugo bring more help to the table, we have other players who do what Bradshaw does better than he does. There is no way in hell this will happen but if we are actually trying to win games it should.

Last edited:

Your post wasn’t bad until you said Theiro and Edwards could battle for the last spot. Theiro is so far ahead of Edwards it isn’t funny. Theiro has 56 boards in 10 games in 222 minutes played. Edwards has managed 70 boards in 18 games in 414 minutes. Theiro, when healthy, is a big part of the main 7 man lineup. Ugo/bradshaw can split time for 8 and 9 spots with Edwards at the 10 spot but burks could slide in there as well. Never happening though, Edwards and Bradshaw will get more minutes moving forward, not less and both will certainly start the rest of the way.

Terrible in game coaching is actually a compliment to what cal gives us. He is the absolute worst at that part and we would actually be better off if he weren’t there. Have we ever looked worse after he got kicked out or do we always end up looking better? You admitted he’s not good at making adjustments so what part of his in game coaching do you think he does well? Forget well, halfway decent is fine?
He has done a good job of having our guys over the years, bring the ball up court against a press.

You can tell Cal is getting impatient with Edwards finally. Kind of called him out in his comments a little, but we'll see. Hard to tell with Cal if that was genuine or just him playing mind games to motivate kids.
How is trying to motivate a kid not genuine?

What moves do you see made or not during the game to decide that Cal is “simply a terrible in-game coach”?

Please be specific as to what you actually see.

And could you point out who is a good in game coach and what that coach is doing in game?
You didn’t ask me, but I’ll play along, although I thought terrible was too strong of an adjective to use. I will use, not a very good, or average floor coach. So, Cal’s inability to use a zone to hide our defensive issues. That zone also has the ability to dictate a pace of play and stop deep penetration into the lane by quick guards. It also is nice to use for foul trouble situations.
Line up rotation seems to be a problem when guys that can’t produce use up too many mins on the court. And actually a lot of times his dribble drive offense means a guy dribbling out front with zero ball movement and a drive to the basket 1 on 1.

There are any number of good in game coaches (floor coaching) guys who have a worse roster, but seem to be able to beat us over the years. We just played a SC team that has beat Cal once at our place and once at their place with a roster not half as good as ours.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
How is trying to motivate a kid not genuine?
He basically said, "If guys don't step up and perform, I'll have to play other guys."

If the statement is ONLY to motivate, if he's lying and has no intention to actually play other guys regardless, then that is not being genuine.

It's the correct thing to do If true. You just never know with Cal.

Need to primarily be in a 8 man rotation soon. KSR talking 7, but I cannot get in line with that. Primarily because 4 of the guys are guards.

Add the guards to Thiero, Bradshaw, Mitchell and Z. Ugo and Edwards need to be limited to matchups or foul trouble IMHO.

Thiero can play 3 or 4. He has to be part of rotation. Sets the tone and is just too important to the team.

Regardless of whether the assistants convince Calipari to tinker with playing time, it doesn’t change the fact that Calipari is simply a terrible in-game coach. It is what it is…
Just thinking back to the SC game while I was watching the game live I was wondering how are they getting all these good looks from three. It quickley became obvious that they weren't pinching down like we were to help on drives they were staying within arms length of our perimeter players and by so allowed only 13 attempts mostly contested shots by, and how easy that could have been corrected by just playing the way they were. Did Cal not notice this, if he didn't we're in bigger trouble than I thought and if he did and didn't make any adjustments, enough said.

Yes, I have actually played and cosched. You don’t work on this during a game, these are things you work on during practice.
Agreed. You can't just wing it if you haven't worked on it. I just think we should work on a small handful of "gimmicks" to help slow down opposing offenses when they get on a roll.

They have worked on us a lot over the years.

LOL. What BS. Z is behind on defense but Bradshaw ins't? Cmon now.

You didn’t ask me, but I’ll play along, although I thought terrible was too strong of an adjective to use. I will use, not a very good, or average floor coach. So, Cal’s inability to use a zone to hide our defensive issues. That zone also has the ability to dictate a pace of play and stop deep penetration into the lane by quick guards. It also is nice to use for foul trouble situations.
Line up rotation seems to be a problem when guys that can’t produce use up too many mins on the court. And actually a lot of times his dribble drive offense means a guy dribbling out front with zero ball movement and a drive to the basket 1 on 1.

There are any number of good in game coaches (floor coaching) guys who have a worse roster, but seem to be able to beat us over the years. We just played a SC team that has beat Cal once at our place and once at their place with a roster not half as good as ours.
You left out zoning the inbounds to prevent giving up lay-ups. There were 6 or 7 of those in the last two games. Not to mention we are lucky to get the ball in play on about half of our inbounds plays

At this point we need Ugonna more than Bradshaw. I’d rather my 7-footer block shots and rebound, not shoot 20-footers. We have enough outside shooters.
I generally agree but I’ve watched Ugo cost us a lot of baskets in his time on the court. Not saying Bradshaw hasn’t but he’s generally more fluid chasing people outside the paint.

Just thinking back to the SC game while I was watching the game live I was wondering how are they getting all these good looks from three. It quickley became obvious that they weren't pinching down like we were to help on drives they were staying within arms length of our perimeter players and by so allowed only 13 attempts mostly contested shots by, and how easy that could have been corrected by just playing the way they were. Did Cal not notice this, if he didn't we're in bigger trouble than I thought and if he did and didn't make any adjustments, enough said.
When does the player assume responsibility for his play? Ever? The general consensus around here is that Calipari never teaches players these elements. They never practice these things. Posters go to practices? They know what goes on there?

But what is the tougher thing to teach. A technique? Or alertness, initiative, responsibility? In his comments Calipari is constantly talking about getting the players to find their place, their motivation, their responsibility. Maybe that's the big thing he's teaching, eh? His players go on to excel in the pros. Maybe they excel because they've learned to be responsible. Basketball Bennies want to see the things they've learned. Plays, etc. I don't think Calipari teaches plays etc. He teaches how to play basketball.

The man is a bona fide moron

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
When does the player assume responsibility for his play? Ever? The general consensus around here is that Calipari never teaches players these elements. They never practice these things. Posters go to practices? They know what goes on there?

But what is the tougher thing to teach. A technique? Or alertness, initiative, responsibility? In his comments Calipari is constantly talking about getting the players to find their place, their motivation, their responsibility. Maybe that's the big thing he's teaching, eh? His players go on to excel in the pros. Maybe they excel because they've learned to be responsible. Basketball Bennies want to see the things they've learned. Plays, etc. I don't think Calipari teaches plays etc. He teaches how to play basketball.
Weird how the players change, but the problems remain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT