ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive suggestion

Mike-McD

Junior
Aug 3, 2022
Watching Burks last night made me realize how few of our guys seem to understand the idea of getting down in a defensive STANCE.

So why don't they do it? Does Cal not teach it?

Let's give Cal the benefit of the doubt and say he does. Are they tired? Can they not do it for the entire game, or is it just a concentration thing, where they forget what they're doing?

One idea might be for Cal to call a timeout at the 16 minute mark of each half. Pull the guys aside and say, "Okay for the next four minutes I want you to go all out, defensive stance, hop back and forth, don't let your man get by you, 100 percent effort. Lock these m'fers down! YOU DO NOT COME OUT OF THIS STANCE ON DEFENSE! I will sub you out in four minutes for some gatorade and the next group will do the same thing!" Then tell the next group the same thing. We actually have nine healthy guys to do this so he could sub out 4 guys.

That's EIGHT minutes per half of absolutely lock-down, blood in the eyes, bloody stumps for feet defense.

Should be enough to propel us on a run each half and secure the margin we need to coast to a victory.

If they can't do it for the whole game, maybe they can do it in segments?

Thoughts?

I saw that same thing last night, he was wound up.

I dont know if our defense is bad due to the stance, or just being easily broken down.

Dilly is my favorite player, but on defense he's always confused and running around like a rabbit not knowing who to cover. If the opposing team runs a few screens, nobody knows where the he11 theyre supposed to be and then we just hope Onyenso blocks it.

Easy team to break down defensively. Look at those base line dunks from the UT game, they weren't sure if they were to switch or run around it. Late clicking team, hopefully it'll click soon.

I like it.

I noticed Big Z comes up and out of his defensive stance. Lots of times he’s standing straight up. Affects his lateral movement, footwork and jumping ability

I saw that same thing last night, he was wound up.

I dont know if our defense is bad due to the stance, or just being easily broken down.

Dilly is my favorite player, but on defense he's always confused and running around like a rabbit not knowing who to cover. If the opposing team runs a few screens, nobody knows where the he11 theyre supposed to be and then we just hope Onyenso blocks it.

Easy team to break down defensively. Look at those base line dunks from the UT game, they weren't sure if they were to switch or run around it. Late clicking team, hopefully it'll click soon.
It really does come down to effort. Being in a stance is hard. It burns. And it takes mental discipline. Freshmen are seldom known for it. Guarding laterally while keeping your body square to your opponent is very difficult and requires a LOT of plyometric strength and endurance.

It really does come down to effort. Being in a stance is hard. It burns. And it takes mental discipline. Freshmen are seldom known for it. Guarding laterally while keeping your body square to your opponent is very difficult and requires a LOT of plyometric strength and endurance.

Makes it hard to GOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Reactions: KFuqua
What is plyometric strength?

Watching Burks last night made me realize how few of our guys seem to understand the idea of getting down in a defensive STANCE.

Let's give Cal the benefit of the doubt and say he does. Are they tired? Can they not do it for the entire game, or is it just a concentration thing, where they forget what they're doing?

One idea might be for Cal to call a timeout at the 16 minute mark of each half. Pull the guys aside and say, "Okay for the next four minutes I want you to go all out, defensive stance, hop back and forth, don't let your man get by you, 100 percent effort. Lock these m'fers down! YOU DO NOT COME OUT OF THIS STANCE ON DEFENSE! I will sub you out in four minutes for some gatorade and the next group will do the same thing!" Then tell the next group the same thing. We actually have nine healthy guys to do this so he could sub out 4 guys.

That's EIGHT minutes per half of absolutely lock-down, blood in the eyes, bloody stumps for feet defense.

Should be enough to propel us on a run each half and secure the margin we need to coast to a victory.

Thoughts?
I liked when we platooned too.

So does lifting weights, but I've never heard it called "lifting weights strength". I'm just messing with you.
There are many kinds of strength. Endurance, explosive strength, bodybuilder strength vs. heavy lifting strength...Are you really trying to nitpick what I said over semantics? Just because I didn't copy/paste the definition of plyometrics for you? Even bassfan thinks that's petty. I guess you have nothing better to do with your time.

There are many kinds of strength. Endurance, explosive strength, bodybuilder strength vs. heavy lifting strength...Are you really trying to nitpick what I said over semantics? Just because I didn't copy/paste the definition of plyometrics for you? Even bassfan thinks that's petty. I guess you have nothing better to do with your time.
I said I was just messing with you. Lighten up.

Thoughts?

I noticed the same thing early in the season, doesn't appear to have changed much. Hands not up, just not fundamentally sound overall. Maybe it's the way their idols in the NBA play... Don't care, I don't like it. I like seeing good defensive play just as much as offensive.

I noticed the same thing early in the season, doesn't appear to have changed much. Hands not up, just not fundamentally sound overall. Maybe it's the way their idols in the NBA play... Don't care, I don't like it. I like seeing good defensive play just as much as offensive.
If a guy can't play defense he's not playing in the NBA. It's just a ridiculous argument to say otherwise.

Just hunting for something to whine about. Now Cal is telling them to not get in a defensive stance?? WTF is wrong with some of you people?

I said I was just messing with you. Lighten up.
Yeah but that's the thing. You're not a funny guy. Your posts are never funny, they're always hostile. And you're not clever either. It was at best a ham-handed attempt at humor that fell flat. But I'm sure it sounded hilarious in your head. So carry on, "comedian."

If a guy can't play defense he's not playing in the NBA. It's just a ridiculous argument to say otherwise.

Just hunting for something to whine about. Now Cal is telling them to not get in a defensive stance?? WTF is wrong with some of you people?
Straw man, nobody said that. In fact, in the OP I said the opposite. Now who's manufacturing outrage?

Reactions: L.O.D.
Yeah but that's the thing. You're not a funny guy. Your posts are never funny, they're always hostile. And you're not clever either. It was at best a ham-handed attempt at humor that fell flat. But I'm sure it sounded hilarious in your head. So carry on, "comedian."
Get over yourself. You seem like a barrel of fun.

Reactions: Emarc and CatsFanIL
That was a better sequence, but did u notice Rob just let the guy blow right by him without sliding over and cutting him off. Thats all it takes is one guy not doing him job to let the whole defense down.
That jumped off the screen to me too. The guy turned his shoulder on Dillingham and he wanted no part of that. Let his guy drive to the rim. He's lucky that wasn't called for 2 shots.

Reactions: tomrain
No defensive stance - no block outs - no charges taken - no plays at end of half - no hard hedge on pick & roll - terrible on dead ball out of bounds
You get the drift yet?

Agree. I think our defensive woes are due in large measure to mental discipline. Most of our players just simply aren’t as committed to playing defense to the same degree that they are committed to playing offense. A player must be as committed to preventing his man from scoring as much as he is to scoring on the other end. Unfortunately, our guys just don’t have this mentality so far this season.

Reactions: TheJuddDome
No defensive stance - no block outs - no charges taken - no plays at end of half - no hard hedge on pick & roll - terrible on dead ball out of bounds
You get the drift yet?
you can't take a charge unless you are in front of someone.

You get the drift yet?
You'd probably be surprised how few college coaches teach "block outs". For the last several years, most college coaches teach "hit and get" - too time consuming, too difficult at that level, to block out. So you hit your guy, dislodge his balance, then you raise up for the rebound. I'm not saying everyone has to agree, but that's the predominant way rebounding is taught these days.

We got stops on OBU/BLOB vs Vandy, credit the zone and adjustment there.

Not all programs use hard hedges on pick/roll. Personally, I like them, BUT it depends on your personnel. Hard heding is a very easy way for your defense (big man) to pick up a dumb fould away from the basket as well. It also puts you in scramble mode elsewhere. You need a big man pretty quick on his feet too, or a big man that's massive. Purdue is great at it, but also play soft coverage too. You ABSOLUTELY have to have multiple ball-screen coverages at this level. And again, the problem with that can be personnel. But if teams know ahead of time that you only defend BS in one way (hard hedging for example), they can definitely gameplan for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT