ADVERTISEMENT

I'm guessing we see some tinkering ...

You can tell Cal is getting impatient with Edwards finally. Kind of called him out in his comments a little, but we'll see. Hard to tell with Cal if that was genuine or just him playing mind games to motivate kids.
We won't know if Cal is being genuine until tomorrow and the next few games. For all we know, he chirped this to the media and then pulled Edwards aside later and said "don't worry about it, I'm just babbling to the Bennies, you're still good my man".

I say next few games because Cal has been known to do something once, claim he did it and pacified the fans, and then returned right back to his old ways. The only way Edwards should ever start again is if he comes off the bench and suddenly makes an impact. So far, not one game has been decided or even helped by one Justin Edwards.

Reactions: WildcatNC
When does the player assume responsibility for his play? Ever? The general consensus around here is that Calipari never teaches players these elements. They never practice these things. Posters go to practices? They know what goes on there?

But what is the tougher thing to teach. A technique? Or alertness, initiative, responsibility? In his comments Calipari is constantly talking about getting the players to find their place, their motivation, their responsibility. Maybe that's the big thing he's teaching, eh? His players go on to excel in the pros. Maybe they excel because they've learned to be responsible. Basketball Bennies want to see the things they've learned. Plays, etc. I don't think Calipari teaches plays etc. He teaches how to play basketball.
That could be somewhat true, the players could be at fault but I have a hard time beliving that if the coach told 7 different players to stay within arms length of their man at least one would have been able to have accomplished this feat several times during the game which was not happing.

Neither of those are true.

Diallo started all 37 games in 17/18.

Whitney started just 7 in November. Got another one in December, but was off the team by mid-January.
Facts are optional ;-)

I seriously thought Diallo moved out of the starting lineup. But, I looked it up and you are correct.

I remember Whitney struggling, then moving out of lineup … then leaving.

I still expect for Edwards to get less minutes, and for the rotation to tighten up as we move ahead.

Breaking News: Cal, apparently, is just now realizing that road games for UK are difficult. In response, he has decided, apparently, for the first time, presumably, in his tenure at UK, he will communicate this to his 2 upper classmen and let them sort things out with the team. Film at 11.

Last edited:
Regardless of whether the assistants convince Calipari to tinker with playing time, it doesn’t change the fact that Calipari is simply a terrible in-game coach. It is what it is…
Can we also rotate the coaching? We might actually see some improvement. Also, how about developing a game plan to exploit the opponent's weaknesses. Did you notice how well teams exploit our inability to defend the in bound play?? Street ball is just not working for us.

Can we also rotate the coaching? We might actually see some improvement. Also, how about developing a game plan to exploit the opponent's weaknesses. Did you notice how well teams exploit our inability to defend the in bound play?? Street ball is just not working for us.
We are highest scoring team in America. I’m not a Cal apologist, but just maybe that’s because of some coaching.

Other years, we have had top 5 defensive team in nation. Maybe that has nothing to do with coaching.

Cal may just be rolling the ball out there and coaching has nothing to do with it ;-)

I 100% believe we need to have a deep tourn run. Winning SEC tourn plus a deep NCAA run would make a lot of us feel better!

Reactions: Padsfs07
... with the lineup and minute distribution for Saturday's game.

A couple of issues play into why TO reduce and why NOT TO reduce the number of players in the rotation.

1. Coaches typically don't mess with lineups while they're winning. Cal has historically not altered much after January until after a loss. Off the top of my head, I remember Diallo and Whitney both getting fewer minutes and even moving out of the starting lineup after a Jan loss. (I'm sure there are others, but those pop into mind.)

2. Unfortunately, if Thiero returns Saturday, it will be our FIRST game with the entire lineup. Cal usually reduces rotation in late January. However, I understand him wanting to tinker with the rotation a few more games to figure out who's going to rise to the occasion.

Here's my guess of what we'll see on Saturday.

-I think Edwards doesn't start, and his minutes get reduced to the 12-14 min range. (These will obviously increase if he does well while he's in the game.)
-Reed & Rob no longer come off the bench at the same time. One of them starts the game.
- The mins for the trio of Bradshaw, Z, and Ugo get paired down to mainly two players. I'm guessing Bradshaw and Z get the minutes. Ugo only gets mins if one of the bigs gets in foul trouble. (Cal really needs to figure out what Z can do on both ends of the floor.)
- Thiero will get some mins to figure out where he now fits. If healthy, he'll get more of Edwards' minutes.

The lineup I want to see get alot of run is: 3 guards, Mitchell, and Big Z. I understand that we're just getting to see all the pieces at one time. I'm sure Cal wanted to do this in Dec, but circumstances didn't permit it. I'm ready to roll with a rotation of: Our 4 guards, Mitchell, Bradshaw, and Z. That's 7 players. Thiero & Edwards can battle for the 8th spot.

Regardless of rotation, I expect to see changes in the distribution of minutes moving ahead.
Great post! I think this mostly all what we should do but I don't see much of it actually happening. If the rotation gets shortened to 8 then Thiero won't be part of the 8 because neither Reeves, Sheppard, Wagner, Dillingham, Mitchell, Bradshaw, Big Z, or Edwards will go out of the rotation.

Terrible in-game coach is a little strong. He is just not very good at the adjustment a coach has to make to adapt to another teams moves.
Which makes him a terrible in game coach. Never a half time adjustment to be found. When things get tight and you lose a lead play your 5 stars regardless of how bad they are playing. It’s lather, rinse and repeat over and over and has been since this fraud has been here. Please resign Cal.

What moves do you see made or not during the game to decide that Cal is “simply a terrible in-game coach”?

Please be specific as to what you actually see.

And could you point out who is a good in game coach and what that coach is doing in game?
Are u effing serious? He has been here for 14 years and you are asking this. Dear God you know nothing about basketball.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He said on his show monday night he was going to talk to Z, he was just too for behind in his defense that he might get a few shots, but we would see. Also said Ugo was playing good, so it sounds like Z is the man out.
I was watching Z off ball on defense just to see if he looked lost. The opposite. Whatever was wrong with UK vs USCjr was NOT because of Big Z's defense. Sounds to me like he's already trying to explain why Big Z won't get much clock(while Edwards still is).

He said on his show monday night he was going to talk to Z, he was just too for behind in his defense that he might get a few shots, but we would see. Also said Ugo was playing good, so it sounds like Z is the man out.
Only a DA like Cal couldn't figure out how to use a legitimate 7 footer that is an excellent 3 point shooter in a pick and pop with Dilly, Reed, Reeves, or even DJ.

Dear God we need a coach.

Lamont Parish used the same pick and pop that Wisconsin used with Kaminski to humble the Great and Mighty HOF coach. Ugh.

And let me think.....is there any possible way a coach could put a 7 footer in a better position on defense???? Nah.

What a joke for a coach.

Only a DA like Cal couldn't figure out how to use a legitimate 7 footer that is an excellent 3 point shooter in a pick and pop with Dilly, Reed, Reeves, or even DJ.

Dear God we need a coach.

Lamont Parish used the same pick and pop that Wisconsin used with Kaminski to humble the Great and Mighty HOF coach. Ugh.

And let me think.....is there any possible way a coach could put a 7 footer in a better position on defense???? Nah.

What a joke for a coach.
Just curious, was your anger emoticon on my last post because you disagree with my post about Big Z's defense or because the last sentence is ridiculous or at the thought that it could turn out that way? I really don't know the answer and if I find out I'll also know about Cowtown Cat. Thanks in advance if you reply...

ps: it's not that I care a lot about things I say making people angry, just that I like to know which specific things made somebody mad and I prefer it to happen when it was my intent. :)

Last edited:
Just curious, was your anger emoticon on my last post because you disagree with my post about Big Z's defense or because the last sentence is ridiculous or at the thought that it could turn out that way? I really don't know the answer and if I find out I'll also know about Cowtown Cat. Thanks in advance if you reply...
Angry at the thought of a coach who can't figure out how to use a talented 7 footer, so he finds an excuse to bench him rather than figuring out a way to use him to help this team.
Frustrating that Cal can't see everyone else's weaknesses on defense. Edwards and DJ can't stay in front of their man. Neither can Reed or Dilly. Very poorly coached on defense.

Certainly not mad at your post. Good post.

Reactions: ukfan1622
What moves do you see made or not during the game to decide that Cal is “simply a terrible in-game coach”?

Please be specific as to what you actually see.

And could you point out who is a good in game coach and what that coach is doing in game?
The only thing more utterly fruitless than being a Calipari apologist is debating with a Calipari apologist. No thanks 4Evuh.

... with the lineup and minute distribution for Saturday's game.

A couple of issues play into why TO reduce and why NOT TO reduce the number of players in the rotation.

1. Coaches typically don't mess with lineups while they're winning. Cal has historically not altered much after January until after a loss. Off the top of my head, I remember Diallo and Whitney both getting fewer minutes and even moving out of the starting lineup after a Jan loss. (I'm sure there are others, but those pop into mind.)

2. Unfortunately, if Thiero returns Saturday, it will be our FIRST game with the entire lineup. Cal usually reduces rotation in late January. However, I understand him wanting to tinker with the rotation a few more games to figure out who's going to rise to the occasion.

Here's my guess of what we'll see on Saturday.

-I think Edwards doesn't start, and his minutes get reduced to the 12-14 min range. (These will obviously increase if he does well while he's in the game.)
-Reed & Rob no longer come off the bench at the same time. One of them starts the game.
- The mins for the trio of Bradshaw, Z, and Ugo get paired down to mainly two players. I'm guessing Bradshaw and Z get the minutes. Ugo only gets mins if one of the bigs gets in foul trouble. (Cal really needs to figure out what Z can do on both ends of the floor.)
- Thiero will get some mins to figure out where he now fits. If healthy, he'll get more of Edwards' minutes.

The lineup I want to see get alot of run is: 3 guards, Mitchell, and Big Z. I understand that we're just getting to see all the pieces at one time. I'm sure Cal wanted to do this in Dec, but circumstances didn't permit it. I'm ready to roll with a rotation of: Our 4 guards, Mitchell, Bradshaw, and Z. That's 7 players. Thiero & Edwards can battle for the 8th spot.

Regardless of rotation, I expect to see changes in the distribution of minutes moving ahead.
Same starting lineup coming no matter what.🤡

They just learn it when they finally get coaching in the NBA.
So, why do Calipari's guys do better? Unless you've got an unflinching grudge against the guy, you'll acknowledge he's teaching them something. It may not show up in the stats except one. NBA success. Which is what he promised to do.

Thiero must be in the rotation, period. Our freshmen are getting manhandled in the lane and on the backboard by the opponents' older, stronger, tougher players.

So, why do Calipari's guys do better? Unless you've got an unflinching grudge against the guy, you'll acknowledge he's teaching them something. It may not show up in the stats except one. NBA success. Which is what he promised to do.
How do you know they do better? He has tons more in the league, so maybe it just seems like it.

I guess that’s important to some people. I’m just not one of them .

I just hope all the people that say this are consistent when it comes to another potential one and done after this season. I have a feeling that one players nba career will be viewed differently.

Facts are optional ;-)

I seriously thought Diallo moved out of the starting lineup. But, I looked it up and you are correct.

I remember Whitney struggling, then moving out of lineup … then leaving.

I still expect for Edwards to get less minutes, and for the rotation to tighten up as we move ahead.

No worries. I just remembered those two specifically. Your point was still true though with guys like Gabriel, PJ Washington (Fr), Willis, Montgomery, etc.

Reactions: bballcat4
I hope he tinkers with our inbound defense under the basket.
Out of bounds defense doesn’t need tinkering with. It needs overhauled!

I’m just an armchair coach, but it looks like we gamble a lot on defense. Trying to jump the passing lane on out of bounds sets up for easy back door.

Hey. Knock yourself out.

I just hope all the people that say this are consistent when it comes to another potential one and done after this season. I have a feeling that one players nba career will be viewed differently.
Well since I‘ve known Reed and Jeff for years I’ll definitely keep an eye on him . That’s the only reason.

More tinkering. Going for 24 different lineups tomorrow.

Exactly - we ran like 19 different lineups during that South Carolina fiasco, with no one lineup playing more than 2-3 minutes together...that's not going to work.

This team has not been made whole or been completely healthy yet this season, so that is a factor - but here we are and this team needs to grow up FAST because this season is not going to sit still and wait. We have these kids for about 20 more basketball games and then it's all over.

Exactly - we ran like 19 different lineups during that South Carolina fiasco, with no one lineup playing more than 2-3 minutes together...that's not going to work.

This team has not been made whole or been completely healthy yet this season, so that is a factor - but here we are and this team needs to grow up FAST because this season is not going to sit still and wait. We have these kids for about 20 more basketball games and then it's all over.
We have added players throughout the year(Bradshaw, Ugo, Z and might as well add Thiero if he returns) Bringing in players at various times during the season makes it near impossible to figure out the best combos and line-ups to put on the floor for a given situation or game. Doing it on the fly in the middle of the conference schedule is no picnic either. Don't forget Cal is going to play certain 5* over more deserving players because that is just what he does.

The product of all this confusion is just what we saw on Tuesday night. Arkansas is just about as big of a mess as we are so the game should be more entertaining than the last one

Heard coaches are going away from the suits, easier to move around, this change should improve the defense. We shall see

Like I said, his players excel in the pro ranks. More than any other coach's players. They're learning something.
Who cares how good they are in the Pro’s how does that convert to wins for UK. They do learn but not quick enough for us and more wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT