ADVERTISEMENT

I’d take Cal and changes if Reed is back

Right, you hire a 75 year old who hasn’t coached in 30 years to come in for a year. Where do these people come from?
It’s called interim and Id be open to anyone Travis ford hell. I would rather have that for another season than cal return. For 1 year as a place holder. It could be ford and Issel and some other guy that can build the roster as a team coaching I don’t care. All Kentucky guys. The program needs some local blood in it.

It’s called interim and Id be open to anyone Travis ford hell. I would rather have that for another season than cal return. For 1 year as a place holder. It could be ford and Issel and some other guy that can build the roster as a team coaching I don’t care. All Kentucky guys. The program needs some local blood in it.
Right, because your hatred for Cal comes before the program. Irony at its finest. BTW, what kind of roster do you think a 1 year interim coach coming from out of basketball is gonna build?

Right, because your hatred for Cal comes before the program. Irony at its finest. BTW, what kind of roster do you think a 1 year interim coach coming from out of basketball is gonna build?
Idk man but it’s better than an unchecked cal doing whatever he wants. That’s a non starter for me. The worst of all cases. Cal has to make grand overtures or he will be living in Nashville by the start of the season. Commuting

Any scenario that brings Cal back is a nonstarter. Reed needs to do what’s best for him.

Doesn’t matter who stays or who Cal recruits, it just delays the rebuild another year and we’re guaranteed to be losers again next season. No thanks. Get someone in here who gives a damn about winning and let’s roll with it.

If I am Reed I take the dough and run.
Exactly I wouldn’t want to come back and play for this joke of a coach. I love Reed as a player and would love for him to stay for 4 years. I don’t want him to stay another 3 years playing for a coach that isn’t going to do anything for him and a coach that isn’t going to get him any post season wins.

Cal not starting Reed because he didn’t wanna hurt a couple players feelings is a bunch of shit.
I’d like for Reed to get to play for an actual coach that cares about winning for our program
Hurt feelings? It's amazing how people can have their mind set and hear or read something and sway it to what they want it to be.
A player struggled and a coach didn't want to lose him for later on so he kept showing confidence in him is what was said. I just wanted to point that out to ya in case you didn't understand what you read

Exactly I wouldn’t want to come back and play for this joke of a coach. I love Reed as a player and would love for him to stay for 4 years. I don’t want him to stay another 3 years playing for a coach that isn’t going to do anything for him and a coach that isn’t going to get him any post season wins.
Reed isn't ready to run to the NBA. He's smart, he knows that. Kid is an unreal college offensive player but just as bad on defense.

Reactions: CBBCrazy
Hey, I gave Cal 2 more seasons after the St. Peter's loss to get us back on track. At times it was hard not going back against my commitment. If he can't do anything with Oscar returning last season and this year's stellar class it's not going to happen. He's had plenty of new assistants these last 10 years. Things aren't going to change. The 2nd Texas A&M game this year should be all the evidence needed.

It's time for him to go. Can't hide him anymore.

Reactions: CROCAT
I hope Reed and other players come back but Cal needs to find the exit door we need to be the U of Ky again where its means something in college BB.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Hurt feelings? It's amazing how people can have their mind set and hear or read something and sway it to what they want it to be.
A player struggled and a coach didn't want to lose him for later on so he kept showing confidence in him is what was said. I just wanted to point that out to ya in case you didn't understand what you read
I don’t agree with that, respectfully.

If Reed would come back if Cal is back, and would be hesitant with a new coach…. go ahead and run cal back with a staff overhaul and program changes. I’d give that a look. I’d give it a go for one simple reason..l I think next year would be better in that scenario than any other possible scenario. If it doesn’t work, let’s pull the plug and we’re no different than we are right now. We’re getting the best possible ‘next year ‘ , and can still have no cal afterward
But why? Just so you can see Reed play more? Sacrifice program success to watch a player get a few more minutes? I just can't even understand this mindset.

Reactions: CapnBlubs
No matter what Cal says or does or if Reed is back won't change the fact is he has never been a good Xs or Os. Don't you see that's why Reed was limited on getting good looks from 3s in many games and against Oakland. As bad as this sounds Bobby Knight made sure the Alfords and Baileys got their shots because he ran college basketball plays called "screens" which is much different than the nba. That's the reason he has only won 1 championship and a failure in the NBA. If you along with a lot of fans could see this you would understand unless another Anthony Davis walks through the doors it's not happening. Isn't this what UK basketball strives for. Good Grief!

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
These people are more Calipari haters than UK fans. Imagine wanting Reed Sheppard to leave just to get back at the coach.
Oh look another new account telling us we are bad fans ..... again.
Send more flying monkeys, Mitch. Seems desperate.
Wizard Of Oz Monkeys GIF

Reactions: blubo
Reed shouldn’t come back. This jackass coach has forced out player after player and now bc his job is on the line he’s gonna ask Reed to come back. If Reed is a lottery pick he needs to leave. His NIL money won’t touch the nba contact and endorsements he can get with the local city.

Plus the more tape the nba gets on you, the lower you go. Poythress was once the number 1 pick and staying worked out so well for him.
Now that's an Avatar.

Reactions: Artex
Reed isn't ready to run to the NBA. He's smart, he knows that. Kid is an unreal college offensive player but just as bad on defense
That is what people are missing, I love the young man and his parents. I don't want to see him go to the NBA and be a failure because he isn't ready to play against grown men. I think he would benefit (not financially) staying another year and getting stronger and become a better defender. If you are a top 10 pick this year, being a better defender would only make you more attractive in the draft. I have no idea if that will happen, my concern would be can Cal make him better on defense when the whole team was a joke on that side of the ball.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Oh look another new account telling us we are bad fans ..... again.
Send more flying monkeys, Mitch. Seems desperate.
Wizard Of Oz Monkeys GIF
Oh look, another person defending saying Reed Sheppard should leave. Good luck with Reed leaving and your agenda.

Last edited:
I always wondered how IU fell so far from grace, to settle where they are today…

After reading “fan” comments the past few days, I’ve stopped wondering.

• Love
Reactions: CROCAT
These people are more Calipari haters than UK fans. Imagine wanting Reed Sheppard to leave just to get back at the coach.
It's not that
ccc was basically forced to recruit Reed from fan pressure. He thought it would not matter as he would be able to shove him to the end of the bench and play his precious 5 stars that makes promises too and makes them his favorites. Reed threw a monkey wrench in that as he consistently out played the 5 stars. CCC had no choice but to play him. Reed can improve, but only under a coach that can teach him. CCC is not capable of teaching. Basically the only players to improve his year were Dillingham & Reed. The rest improved very little if any at all. That is why Reed needs to move on or CCC needs to go. CCC probably already has the same game plan for Perry, but hopefully, the kid will shoot well enough that he will get playing time.

I like DJ. But he sure as hell didn't play like a top five player in his class. And he started over two players who did.
Apparently DJ would have checked out if he didn’t start. Hopefully his luggage is already packed.

To his left. Damn the defenders, full speed ahead. Although you make a good point, he would improve more than anyone under Pitino. Imagine how many steals Reed would have in Pitino's press.
Pitino with this team would have been like years gone past. They would have buried teams and beaten them as badly as possible. The UK swagger would have returned. Teams would again have feared games with UK. BUt instead of a coaching monster, uk has to settle for coach with his head in the sand

It was painfully obvious by mid-January that this team couldn't stay in front of people, one on one. Playing to the team's strengths (and minimizing weaknesses), it seems like we should've gone to more of a trapping type defense to try and force turnovers and limit the damage that was done to us on the offensive boards.
that would have required change and strategy.............ccc does not veer from his 1 and only defense, regardless

If Reed would come back if Cal is back, and would be hesitant with a new coach…. go ahead and run cal back with a staff overhaul and program changes. I’d give that a look. I’d give it a go for one simple reason..l I think next year would be better in that scenario than any other possible scenario. If it doesn’t work, let’s pull the plug and we’re no different than we are right now. We’re getting the best possible ‘next year ‘ , and can still have no cal afterward
Not me Cal can’t Coach anymore

Reactions: blubo
Reed isn't ready to run to the NBA. He's smart, he knows that. Kid is an unreal college offensive player but just as bad on defense.
what does it matter, ready or not, if he’s going to be a lottery pick guaranteeing him millions of dollars? if he comes back for another year there are no gurantees, except he’ll be playing for the same coach with new players and little chance of winning a championship.

So sad. UK basketball existed prior to Cal and prior to Reed. If Reed is tied to Cal, wish him good luck in the NBA and move on.

yes, he does need to improve his defense........but that is not going to happen under ccc. That is exactly why ccc needs to move on or Reed needs to, especially if basketball is going to be his livelihood.

It's not that
ccc was basically forced to recruit Reed from fan pressure. He thought it would not matter as he would be able to shove him to the end of the bench and play his precious 5 stars that makes promises too and makes them his favorites. Reed threw a monkey wrench in that as he consistently out played the 5 stars. CCC had no choice but to play him. Reed can improve, but only under a coach that can teach him. CCC is not capable of teaching. Basically the only players to improve his year were Dillingham & Reed. The rest improved very little if any at all. That is why Reed needs to move on or CCC needs to go. CCC probably already has the same game plan for Perry, but hopefully, the kid will shoot well enough that he will get playing time.

also it’s not a good look to ask a top draft pick to stay and risk it all! What if his stock plummeted...or worst he suffers a career ending injury?
And who would ask a top 5 draft pic to give up millions of dollars just to help a coach who literally USED him as a bench player? Shidddddddd.

Last edited:
I feel you. Does he deserve to go? Yeah. But we have to have a home run lined up. If we don’t have the guy we want lined up then your best bet is probably for cal to find his touch again. I guess I trust him to win again before I trust a new guy from a weak applicant pool
Find his touch again? I just can't understand how people can seriously think this. Dude literally just had two lotto picks and refused to play the best lineups according to data. Why? Because it's only HIS WAY. And his way is outdated and getting his ass kicked. It's not because of youth either. Set everything else aside, had he put lineups on the floor according to the data sets, they'd still be playing. That's WITH his crap offensive and defensive philosophies and his unwillingness (see lazy) to scout.

Find his touch again? I just can't understand how people can seriously think this. Dude literally just had two lotto picks and refused to play the best lineups according to data. Why? Because it's only HIS WAY. And his way is outdated and getting his ass kicked. It's not because of youth either. Set everything else aside, had he put lineups on the floor according to the data sets, they'd still be playing. That's WITH his crap offensive and defensive philosophies and his unwillingness (see lazy) to scout.
I don't know if I believe in Cal at this point. But I don't see a future in the pool of candidates. This isn't about me pining for Cal. I just want the succession to be handled with a long term vision in mind. Right now I see Jay wright and a bunch of band aids.

I don't know if I believe in Cal at this point. But I don't see a future in the pool of candidates. This isn't about me pining for Cal. I just want the succession to be handled with a long term vision in mind. Right now I see Jay wright and a bunch of band aids.
There are a TON of guys out there that could do more with the resources the fat poser has at his disposal. But he's sold the fanbase that there isn't. Insanity.

We had multiple weaknesses this year and you know what they were I mean everybody knows it was defense and rebounding. Listen guys Reed was a fine offensive player but he was not good at all in sticking with a fast guard I mean look at our losses and we were outscored from the back court in every single game. The same holds true for Dillingham not a good Defender. And so for those of you that Shep will go top five I disagree with that assessment. I would say somewhere around 20th.

I firmly believe Sheppard is more likely to return if Cal is gone. Boogie Fland is a top 10 recruit and if DJ comes back Reed will be reserve again while deserving to start. I guarantee both of Reed's parents feel like their son was
dissed this year by Cal pretending Wagner and Edwards were better players. Every other coach tries to start their best lineups but Cal was worried benching two poorly performing players would hurt their feelings. I guess
Shep and Dilly are robots and have no feelings.

We had multiple weaknesses this year and you know what they were I mean everybody knows it was defense and rebounding. Listen guys Reed was a fine offensive player but he was not good at all in sticking with a fast guard I mean look at our losses and we were outscored from the back court in every single game. The same holds true for Dillingham not a good Defender. And so for those of you that Shep will go top five I disagree with that assessment. I would say somewhere around 20th.
I agree with your draft assessment but one thing was clear about this year's team; it was significantly better when Reeves, Sheppard, and Dillingham were on the floor together and yet that happened no more than half of every game. If those 3 had been on the floor together 30 minutes per game we'd have lost 4-5 less games this
year(imo) and still be alive in the tourney. But that scenario if nearly impossible if 2/3 don't start. When you have 3 players heads and shoulders better than all the rest of your players, and their positions are compatable with playing together, it's criminally bad coaching to have them on floor together as little as Cal did this year.
Even against Oakland, with Shep and Dilly both having off games, we outscored Oakland when those 3 were playing together.

Since I started watching UK basketball around 1965 I have never seen a worse coached team and I havn't forgotten Billy Clyde who was bad but had a fraction of the talent this team had.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT