ADVERTISEMENT

Who Thinks We Can Beat Duke In Basketball and Why

I still think having a bucket guy is important, almost every champion ever had a bucket guy or best player that was one of the best In the sport.
Yeah, I haven’t seen Pope run it at UK so I am only saying what it should be. You may well be very right. Plus it’s always nice to have.

I'm excited. I don't expect us to look as disjointed as Cal's teams did early in the season. We've got veterans and a coach that cares about winning and the program.
That's where I'm at. I'm not expecting a win, but I bet we look more like an organized team. Pope isn't just gonna roll the ball out there. We may take some Ls, but I'll be happy as heck to see good team basketball again.

I do. I might give Duke the slight edge, but honestly if we played them 100 games, I think it would be 55-45 (+/-5) games. So pretty much even.

PG/SG/SF:
Proctor, James, Foster, Gillis, Evans, Knueppel, Harris
vs
Robinson, Oweh, Butler, Brea, Kriisa

PF & C:
Flagg, Brown, Maluach
vs
Carr, Williams, Garrison

Other guys:
Knueppel, Harris, Ngongba
vs
Almonor, Chandler, Perry, Noah

At the PG/SG/SF spots, that looks pretty even. Proctor and Robinson could be all-ACC/SEC 2nd team guys. Duke has height advantage over Butler & Kriisa, UK has better shooting.
At the PF/C spots, I'll give Duke a SLIGHT advantage, mostly due to Flagg being a more athletic Carr. The other 4 are pretty even.
The "Other guys" looks pretty even.

First of all, I do not see Flagg as a generational talent, a Kobe, Garnett, Durrant, James, Edwards. It's way too early to say that about anyone. The only HS player in the past 50 years that probably had that aura about him was James. Flagg could possibly be in that next tier (all-stars), which is great. But is he there now? I really doubt it. He didn't dominate or even separate himself at the McD game/practices, he was "just another guy". That is NOT what a "generational talent" does. Each year the "hype" around whoever the best guy is gets bigger and bigger, and is often an overstatement of their true talents (at that time). I would be surprised a bit, if he is as good next year as Holmgren was at Gonzaga. But yeah, that's still pretty good.

We will win because this is their coach...

10410731.jpg
Jon_Scheyer_Goofy_Face.jpg

Put one good defender on Flagg, if he gets 30 so be it, keep everyone else sub par and you have a great chance to win…. And we’re Kentucky we can beat anyone, anywhere, anytime!
That's fun to say, but if this team and staff had BYU across their chest would you be as confident about a win against Duke?

That's fun to say, but if this team and staff had BYU across their chest would you be as confident about a win against Duke?
When it comes to Kentucky basketball, I always believe we have a chance to win. Sometimes it’s a slim chance but a chance nonetheless.

I don’t think Flagg will be up to speed for college ball yet. There’s a huge difference between high school and college, and while Flagg might own college at some point he is gonna have a steep learning curve at the beginning much like the freshman we have watched. I think UK fits in that time period before he is polished as a college player.

in this day of mercenary basketball, a sound fundamental team with veteran players can beat anyone.

Teams that looked like Cals teams of the past are going to struggle now that you can buy players like cattle.

Not ready to say we will win, but we will be a tough matchup for Duke. We are experienced and gritty with high level defenders on the perimeter and in the paint. If they win its because Flagg is just too good. With it being his first big game, I like our chances.

If the big guy from Africa is what they expect him to be then Duke is even better. But big guys take time to develop, so I agree
I think he is the key to what kind of season Duke will have. Can he force teams to win by hitting jumpers? Can he be close to an automatic bucket from a lob? Will he dominate the glass? Will he be foul prone? All that remains to be seen, but he has played a lot vs guys much older and experienced than him.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I think we will win. Not just because I think we will win every game, {I do}, but this just looks like a win even trying to be objective.

We will play collected and poised and they won't. It's early. They will try to play it down. Pope won't. He might in the press? But not to the players. We are without a doubt a top 10 team. How well the pieces come together will determine if we are top 5.

I think this team will be a joy to watch. And early too. We won't have to wait until January to see what we have.

A better question for the OP is, "who thinks we can't win vs Duke, and why?".

To say you don't think we will win, is one thing. But to say you don't think we can win, that is a ridiculous statement. It's not we are marching Mark Coury, Bobby Perry, Jeff Tackett, Brandon Stockton, and Jeff Carrier out there.

If you added two lottery picks to UK's current roster, that would basically be Duke.

They're more talented than us. It's okay to admit that. Can we beat them? Sure, but they'll be favored by 6 to 8 points.

Early season cohesion will be the key to whoever wins, obviously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT