ADVERTISEMENT

Who Stays, Who Goes, Who is New on Staff?

OP, I'll give you my thoughts.

Gone - Knox, SGA, Diallo, everyone else comes back

Coaches - Barbee goes to Memphis, Antigua comes back to replace him

I still think there is an outside chance Wiseman reclassifies and comes next year.

Gone: for certainty; Knox, SGA, Diallo, Vanderbilt. - possibly Wenyen (needs $), Washington,and Richards will test the waters. Wynard also but who cares.

Coaches - Barbee gone, don't know who will replace him. Antigua's NCAA baggage might keep him from coming back

Team Next Year

Quickley/Quade
Hero/Baker
Johnson/
Washington/Jones
Richards/Wenyen (hopefully on both or we are really up shi$ creek)

It is not looking to good for next year. If we have a SGA like emergence from one of the freshman maybe, but we will be a decent to good team, but not a contender.

Reactions: Looksbetterinblue
Gone: for certainty; Knox, SGA, Diallo, Vanderbilt. - possibly Wenyen (needs $), Washington,and Richards will test the waters. Wynard also but who cares.

Coaches - Barbee gone, don't know who will replace him. Antigua's NCAA baggage might keep him from coming back

Team Next Year

Quickley/Quade
Hero/Baker
Johnson/
Washington/Jones

It is not looking to good for next year. If we have a SGA like emergence from one of the freshman maybe, but we will be a decent to good team, but not a contender.

Why is Hami a definite?

Please source Wenyen needing money.

Most if not all will test the waters and they should.

It's a golden opportunity for Wiseman to get 2 years of teaching and going against future pros everyday in practice. I know he said he wouldn't reclassify. But why spend another year in aau with a new coach ,where you won't get half the development you'd get@UK?

We need coach O back, Barbee had brought nothing to the table and we've seen a drop off as a result. I think Orlando on the bench coaching players with Kenny was never fully appreciated.

If we don't sure up the 4&5 spot next year could it could be a rough year. I can live with Shai and Hami (I know where's he going? ) leaving. We're set at the 1,2,3 spots but i have little confidence in the 4,5 spots. Wenyen & Jones are basically no shows 85% of the time collectively. PJ is solid at the 4 but offers little rim protection, and is a nightmare from the free throw line. Don't get me started on Richards, we lose Tai. We all know JV will be off the charts at the combine.
Those positions completely dictate our success next year. Wiseman,Montgomey, or a solid grad transfer are a must get. Cal's best teams have had a rim protector what have we lacked since 2015....... coincidently we haven't made the final 4 since

Last edited:

Team Next Year

Quickley/Quade
Hero/Baker
Johnson/
Washington/Jones

That team you posted is a contender.

Quade, Washington, SKJ, Richards, Wenyen all back from a Sweet 16 team + the #2 recruiting class in the country.

Also notable that this would be arguably Cal's best 3-pt shooting team since he's been at UK. Quade, Wenyen, Herro, Baker can all stroke it, especially Herro and Baker.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
If we lose anyone other than Knox, Diallo and/or Alexander then I am officially off the "one and done" bus. It's getting kind of ridiculous and has proven that you cannot win with a team made up of mostly freshmen. I love the Final Fours and Elite Eights, but true freshmen don't cut down the nets. We need hold overs and we need experience.

We currently have the 6th best recruiting class per Rivals, and if we miss on EJ then, we probably slip to 7-8 after EJ, Langford, make decisions.

OP, I'll give you my thoughts.

Gone - Knox, SGA, Diallo, everyone else comes back

Coaches - Barbee goes to Memphis, Antigua comes back to replace him

I still think there is an outside chance Wiseman reclassifies and comes next year.

Wiseman announced yesterday that he will not reclassify.

I think Knox, Diallo, and SGA are gone.

If we lose anyone other than Knox, Diallo and/or Alexander then I am officially off the "one and done" bus. It's getting kind of ridiculous and has proven that you cannot win with a team made up of mostly freshmen. I love the Final Fours and Elite Eights, but true freshmen don't cut down the nets. We need hold overs and we need experience.

What will you say if Duke cuts down the nets?

Quade, Washington, SKJ, Richards, Wenyen all back from a Sweet 16 team + the #2 recruiting class in the country.

Also notable that this would be arguably Cal's best 3-pt shooting team since he's been at UK. Quade, Wenyen, Herro, Baker can all stroke it, especially Herro and Baker.

They were a sweet 16 team by beating garbage. It's not like we knocked off a top seed. We beat a 13 seed to get there. I wouldn't necessarily feel confident for next year because of it. Kansas state was the first average team we played and we went home.

Some of y'all are going to be disappointed next year expecting a great team.

I will say they have a freak freshmen in Bagley like we had in Davis. A couple other good freshmen like we had in MKG and Marquis Teague and a senior leader in Grayson Allen like we had in Darius Miller. I don’t see Duke cutting them down, but even if they do then they are the exception...not the rule.

Knox, SGA, Diallo, and Vanderbilt are likely gone. Vanderbilt might be forced to come back, might not be projected high enough. Still, I am saying he is gone.

I think the rest will return (sans Wynyard who seems to have been gone for a while).

Hopefully, we add Montgomery.

Five Guards- Green, Quickley, Baker, Herro, Johnson

Five Forwards- Washington, Gabriel, Montgomery, Killeya-Jones, Richards

Not sure who would start. Cal has been extremely patient with Richards and likes to go big, so I am guessing:

G Quickley
G Johnson
F Washington
F Montgomery
F Richards

Leaves Green, Baker, Herro, Gabriel, and Killeya-Jones for depth.

Pretty strong team.

Unbelievable length, plus depth and experience.

We should be in the hunt again.

Don't have to worry about that now do we lol. Coach K never does anything special with Fab Freshmen. That is the main reason why I am not worried about their "super class" coming in next year.

I want to believyou but you are replacing some proven producers that played on a shaky team with more freshmen. Who know how guys will be when they come back. Maybe they transform, maybe they make an incremental improvement.

It's a golden opportunity for Wiseman to get 2 years of teaching and going against future pros everyday in practice. I know he said he wouldn't reclassify. But why spend another year in aau with a new coach ,where you won't get half the development you'd get@UK?

We need coach O back, Barbee had brought nothing to the table and we've seen a drop off as a result. I think Orlando on the bench coaching players with Kenny was never fully appreciated.

If we don't sure up the 4&5 spot next year could it could be a rough year. I can live with Shai and Hami (I know where's he going? ) leaving. We're set at the 1,2,3 spots but i have little confidence in the 4,5 spots. Wenyen & Jones are basically no shows 85% of the time collectively. PJ is solid at the 4 but offers little rim protection, and is a nightmare from the free throw line. Don't get me started on Richards, we lose Tai. We all know JV will be off the charts at the combine.
Those positions completely dictate our success next year. Wiseman,Montgomey, or a solid grad transfer are a must get. Cal's best teams have had a rim protector what have we lacked since 2015....... coincidently we haven't made the final 4 since

While I am not sure of Wisemans' academic standing at present, it is possible he will need another year of high school just to graduate. When he says he is staying in the 2019 class, maybe he doesn't have a choice. I hope he can join the team this year but, he is only 17 years old.

Reactions: Big Blue in 502
Who leaves:
SGA 100%
Knox 80%
Diallo 60%

Who tests the waters but comes back
Gabriel
Washington
Richards

Only predicting 3 to leave. If either one of Knox/Diallo/Gabriel return (assuming everyone else returns), we'll be preseason top 3.

Team Next Year

Quickley/Quade
Hero/Baker
Johnson/
Washington/Jones

Thx. I agree. I feel like we should set our expectations right around here and anything more is a win.

I don’t think we are the only ones that feel that way

I'm confused...we have Oregon's recruiting class for next year???

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

I don't know why I said #2, huge brain blunder on my part.

Currently we are #6 on Rivals (which would go up if Herro is upgraded to a 5-star, which I think could happen) and #4 on ESPN (Herro is already a 5-star).

And of course, we probably aren't done with 2018 yet.

Regardless, a good nucleus returning plus a top 10 recruiting class, which will lead to one of the most balanced rosters that Cal has ever had. Color me excited about next season.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Who leaves:
SGA 100%
Knox 80%
Diallo 60%

Who tests the waters but comes back
Gabriel
Washington
Richards

Only predicting 3 to leave. If either one of Knox/Diallo/Gabriel return (assuming everyone else returns), we'll be preseason top 3.
What do you think Vanderbilt will do? He seems to be the biggest unknown.

SGA... will leave.

Knox ...50/50 needs to stay one more year!

Diallo ...probably wants to leave BUT can't shoot & can't handle the ball that well. Needs another year in Cal's coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT