ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal and recruiting

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
I saw a post about Karter Knox, and of course there are other existing and pending High School recruits. But, does no one pay attention that the key to success now is getting a top notch experienced transfer. Kansas without Dickerson would be an entirely different and not highly rated team. Kentucky without Mitchell would have had some significant problems. The only other factor is having a great player not jump to the NBA or transfer. I hope some attention is being paid by our staff on what history is now demonstrating who may be the most important recruit of all.

Reactions: fospear
Toppin
Wheeler (Top asst 21-22, 22-23)
Fredrick
Mintz (Top scorer 20-21)
Grady (Top 3pt % 21-22)
Tshiebwe (Top Scorer & rebounder 21-22, 22-23)
Reeves (Top 3 pt %, 22-23, Top Scorer 23-24)
Mitchell (Top Rebounder 23-24)

Our team has literally been led by transfers over the past 3 seasons.

I think there will be "some attention paid by our staff" to transfers.

Reactions: JFCats22
We've got a nice core of recruits. I've never gotten the impression UK is that in love with Knox or Knox that in love with UK. If he doesn't wind up here it may be a good thing.

Reactions: G-PIP
We've got a nice core of recruits. I've never gotten the impression UK is that in love with Knox or Knox that in love with UK. If he doesn't wind up here it may be a good thing.
Smashcat, since you graciously provide us with so many heads-ups and links to high school games with top recruits playing, I’m guessing you see those kids much more than most. So, whenever you, ralphdaltonfan and Shaudyshaud talk about a high school recruit, I pay particular attention. You guys don’t seem to be given to a lot of hyperbole or necessarily care where a player is ranked by a recruiting service – which is what I’m convinced most base their expectations on, rather than watching and judging current (not projected) skill sets.

So, if Knox and Richmond were the only options at SF for UK next season, I wonder how you would guesstimate their individual impacts?

Last edited:
More important than portal players are returning players.

Getting Sheppard, Thiero, and Onyenso in particular to return is more important than getting portal players.

The portal to me is there to plug holes.

This season we needed a skilled forward and we got Mitchell.

Next season, I’m not sure what we will need from the portal, and Cal doesn’t know either.

It will have to play out.

It's year to year.
This season Dickenson, Knenct, D.Jones and possibly the Johnson kid from SD St. are all better than any freshmen in CBB.
Last year that wasn't the case with Miller being better than any transfer.
Year before you had Banchero and Smith.
This freshman class has zero transcendent players.

More important than portal players are returning players.

Getting Sheppard, Thiero, and Onyenso in particular to return is more important than getting portal players.

The portal to me is there to plug holes.

This season we needed a skilled forward and we got Mitchell.

Next season, I’m not sure what we will need from the portal, and Cal doesn’t know either.

It will have to play out.
Thiero may never play again lol. I joke.. but seriously. Beyond frustrating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT