ADVERTISEMENT

who sold their 2012 championship ring?

SUre I'm not the first person to say this.. but I can't imagine some ultra rich Kentucky fan wouldn't shell out $25k for that. And if it didn't have Hood's name on it, making it the exact same ring as everyone else's, maybe more.

People buy signed memorabilia, for thousands. This is a ring that only a few dozen or so exist.. It's the one and only chance someone has to have a Kentucky Championship ring in their possession. Has to be worth well over $5k to certain people.
Mine cost $5000 but I didn't pay for it..

I assume that Hood didn't feel any real attachment to that ring. He had zero stats that year and didn't really contribute to winning it. Kinda like a fancy participation ribbon.

Antoine Walker to pay gambling debts.

Seriously, how does a guy blow like $100 million? Pro sports organizations and agents should do a better job of educating the players on their finances. How often have you heard of lottery winners ending up broke? It's the same exact situation. You take someone who never had money and just throw it at them without educating them and they likely will blow through it.

Just seen where a unnamed player sold their ring to a pawn shop and it went for 5k on Ebay. I'd never let that go if I was a player and I would love to own it however. Anyone know who it was? The seller said they had proof it came from the player in question, but would only reveal it in private messaging and not publicly.

Louisville guys better sell theirs quick!!!

Reactions: Fox2monk and KMKAT
Antoine Walker to pay gambling debts.

Seriously, how does a guy blow like $100 million? Pro sports organizations and agents should do a better job of educating the players on their finances. How often have you heard of lottery winners ending up broke? It's the same exact situation. You take someone who never had money and just throw it at them without educating them and they likely will blow through it.

I have a huge problem with this.

COLLEGE is the place to learn about economics and financial planning. Growing from 18-22, having a set allowance, and going through the normal processes of being broke and surviving is what makes a lot of successful men successful.

You're telling me the owners need to teach grown men how to handle money? The coddling of these athletes is ridiculous imo. And to take it as far as to blame the men writing their checks is overkill, but in today's climate I'm not surprised at all.

There is a reason some of us kick and scream for guys to stay in school. One of the biggest reasons is maturity. They leave as coddled kids with terrible parents and handlers, which we openly promote more than anyone, and when they aren't ready for that kind of wealth it's someone else's fault.

No beef with you, but this kind of thing really really pisses me off. They can hire financial managers and have the cash to get the right people around them. They make a choice. They can live with it like anyone else.

I'm not blaming the check writers, but I think it would be in their own best interest to help educate these young guys. Most aren't even 21 when they go pro (at least in basketball). How many of us regular Joes have gotten ourselves overextended when we were young when people starting handing us credit cards and loans? Probably a lot. I know I had to learn the hard way after racking up a bunch of debt from getting all the things I wanted that I never had growing up.

Just think how much worse it is for a 19 year old from a poor area who was just handed millions of dollars. The first thing most talk about doing is buying their mom a house and taking care of her so she doesn't have to work anymore. Then they have to buy themselves a nice house and cars. Next thing you know they are worrying about how they are going to pay their bills and that probably can effect how they are playing. I just think it would be in their best interest for owners/agents to help educate these guys on their finances. It looks bad seeing ESPN 30 for 30 episodes on broke former players.

I can understand going broke if you only played a few years in the NBA and only made a couple of millions. Even though it's still insane when coming from people who probably won't make that much in their entire career, but to blow 100 million in just a few years, that is just insane. What are these dudes buying to be spending that type of money? I know some take care of a lot of people with it, including family and friends, but dang, it is almost like you have to try to spend that much and buy the most expensive things day after day.

With Hood, I don't understand why the kid would want to sell the ring, but to be fair, I also don't know Hood or anything about him or his personal life. The dude probably felt it didn't mean as much with him not really doing anything on the court to help his team win it. Some fans don't seem to understand while these kids like basketball and the Cats, they ain't as extreme at it like most of us on these forums. To some of us, if it's not talking Kentucky basketball with every conversation, you ain't a real fan. I bet Hood wasn't thinking him selling the ring wouldn't make as big of a splash with fans and news.

If it were Hood I'd be disappointed as he was a Kentucky boy, oft injured, but a fan favorite nonetheless.
But you never know what is in ones mind, nor the reason for such a decision. May have been a desperate move. Unless someone knows, nobody knows why.
I heard it was something about "not playing for Kentucky anymore and wanting to start fresh".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT