ADVERTISEMENT

who sold their 2012 championship ring?

Why are you so mad, what does this even have to do with you, and why assume he doesn't have a job?

Well he may have a job ... but honestly- I mean he had to be really hard up for money to sell a UK title
Ring for so cheap** to a pawn shop... when he could have gotten double/ triple the $5,000 it sold for on eBay , if he had auctioned it himself / not to a pawn shop.

How has your life changed since Jon Hood sold 1 of 2 2012 championship rings he has? Personally, I have lost my faith in humanity and lost a lot of sleep. Things will never be the same.
Maybe Hood didn't want the public knowing he sold it, the pawn shop offered like 500-a grand and he thought that was good enough, thinking it would just stay in some small town pawn shop.

Only reason I can come up with for why you wouldn't sell it online. That or he didn't know how eBay works or didn't want to mess with shipping it and PayPal and all that and just needed cash in hand.

Shipping is insanely easy though. You put it in a usps priority mail flat rate box and send it

It just seems strange to me that he could have gotten 10x (or more ) for it had he not just sold it to some random pawn shop.

If he REALLY needed the $... why sell it to a pawn shop ? If he really didn't need the $... well then it's just strange lol

Also- he could have gotten wayyyy more
Even by selling it on Craigslist

Who knows tho- just a guessing game at this point so I could be wrong.

He's about to get married so here is the most likely scenario:

He sold the ring to buy her the most beautiful hair clasp you've ever seen.

She sold all of her hair to buy him a mannequin hand for ring display purposes.

They've had a good laugh and a cry. A lifetime movie is in the works.

Bruce Pearl returns the ring he purchased on EBay in exchange for the first dance with Hood's new wife.

(There's more to the story, but I won't steal their thunder).

Bruce Pearl returns the ring he purchased on EBay in exchange for the first dance with Hood's new wife.

hahaha. Well done

Reactions: Aike

Change the principle character to Sheray and you nailed it.

Last edited:
I used to get so mad at Tubby's lineup I started screaming SHERAY FOR PERRY! Everytime one of them would score...... in a frustrated tone.

My boys still scream it jokingly at me 10 years later.....

Reactions: Adolph B. Calipari

O. aike

Maybe he got a replica made and sold it? We've all been bamboozled.

Think of all the NBA players Hood played with at U.K. Surely he is good friends with some of them and if he was having money troubles he probably could have gotten some help from one of them. There has got to be more to the story than what we know

Why are you so mad, what does this even have to do with you, and why assume he doesn't have a job?

Not mad. What does it have to do with any of us? It's a UK message board, get over yourself.

A KY kid growing up as a huge UK fan who wins a national title doesn't pawn his effing title ring for pennies on the dollar unless has no other money coming in, is into drugs, or just doesn't give an ish at this point in his life...all of which reasons are incredible dumb and eventually will prove to be very regrettable.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Simple Truth
Now that I know he's getting married, he didn't sell it to the pawnshop. He traded it for an engagement ring.

Well he may have a job ... but honestly- I mean he had to be really hard up for money to sell a UK title
Ring for so cheap** to a pawn shop... when he could have gotten double/ triple the $5,000 it sold for on eBay , if he had auctioned it himself / not to a pawn shop.
He didn't sell a title, he sold a ring that might not mean anything to him. The title isn't necessarily wrapped up into a ring. Some people don't get caught up into all that. Some people love autographs, it's silly to me and I have zero interest in them, although some may pay big money for them. Different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: maxpugsby
Not mad. What does it have to do with any of us? It's a UK message board, get over yourself.

A KY kid growing up as a huge UK fan who wins a national title doesn't pawn his effing title ring for pennies on the dollar unless has no other money coming in, is into drugs, or just doesn't give an ish at this point in his life...all of which reasons are incredible dumb and eventually will prove to be very regrettable.
What are you talking about, a KY kid that grew up a huge UK fan just did. Get over yourself dictating how former players should live their lives. Y'all get so caught up in BS symbolism, maybe not everyone is like you. Some people have different belief systems and dont worship symbols.

He didn't sell a title, he sold a ring that might not mean anything to him. The title isn't necessarily wrapped up into a ring. Some people don't get caught up into all that. Some people love autographs, it's silly to me and I have zero interest in them, although some may pay big money for them. Different strokes for different folks.

Fair enough. But, purely from a business perspective, can we agree that unloading your title ring by wandering down to the nearest pawn shop instead of seeking its true market value seems mighty friggin stupid?

Last edited:
Fair enough. But, purely from a business perspective, can we agree that unloading your title ring by wandering down to the nearest pawn shop instead of seeking its true value seems mighty friggin stupid?
I'd have to inspect the ring to make a final judgement.

What are you talking about, a KY kid that grew up a huge UK fan just did. Get over yourself dictating how former players should live their lives. Y'all get so caught up in BS symbolism, maybe not everyone is like you. Some people have different belief systems and dont worship symbols.

Look, It was a dumb thing to do. You're the only person in the thread that doesnt see that which probably says more about you than it does the rest of us.

You're a funny dude.

Look, It was a dumb thing to do. You're the only person in the thread that doesnt see that which probably says more about you than it does the rest of us.
Look, you're not a part if the group thought which means you're wrong. Typical mob mortality, thats basically the engine that runs this board these days.

How can a personal decision that serves it purpose be dumb? Look, it may be dumb for you to do something like that, and it may be perfectly reasonable for someone else depending on their feelings for the ring and circumstances. I know this is hard for you to understand but some people have different belief systems and different values systems, and that's ok. Just because another person does something that you or the group wouldn't do doesn't make it bad, stupid, or wrong.

Here is the point people are making that I'm not sure what you are getting. If he doesn't want the ring then fine, do what you want with it. But this is a specialty item. I don't understand why the pawn shop did what they did with it either. You find a website that specializes in sports memorabilia and let them auction it, not on Ebay. They will advertise it so more people know about it and they could have got at least twice what it went for. If I was the person that bought it on Ebay for $5,000 I would still do that. Going to a pawn shop just has the look of desperation.

Here is the point people are making that I'm not sure what you are getting. If he doesn't want the ring then fine, do what you want with it. But this is a specialty item. I don't understand why the pawn shop did what they did with it either. You find a website that specializes in sports memorabilia and let them auction it, not on Ebay. They will advertise it so more people know about it and they could have got at least twice what it went for. If I was the person that bought it on Ebay for $5,000 I would still do that. Going to a pawn shop just has the look of desperation.
At least twice as much? Based on what? What have other UK championship rings gone for in the past? How much did Hood get for the ring, and how what is the value of a 2012 Jon Hood National Championship ring, the generic NCAA one? What commission does the specialty websites get for selling your ring?

None of that actually matters since its his prerogative, but since you guys say it was a no brainer dumb decision I'm sure you can answer these questions.

At least twice as much? Based on what? What have other UK championship rings gone for in the past? How much did Hood get for the ring, and how what is the value of a 2012 Jon Hood National Championship ring, the generic NCAA one? What commission does the specialty websites get for selling your ring?

None of that actually matters since its his prerogative, but since you guys say it was a no brainer dumb decision I'm sure you can answer these questions.

How often are people paid market value or auction prices at a pawn shop?

If Jon Hood sold his microwave at the pawn shop, he could have gotten at least twice as much for it.

No one has to answer forty questions for this to meet the standards of unusual and a poor financial decision.

If Jon Hood sold his microwave at the pawn shop, he could have gotten at least twice as much for it.

No one has to answer forty questions for this to meet the standards of unusual and a poor financial decision.
Pretty sure he's arguing just to argue anymore. I'd let it go.

I never liked Hood after hearing he wanted to go to Duke and settled for UK after K didn't offer him. What kind of Kentucky kid wants to play basketball at Duke? I'm actually surprised he didn't sell the ring sooner.

So you don't know how much Hood got for the ring, what the market value is for a bench players championship ring, but we're gonna stick with twice as much? Cool.

ADVERTISEMENT